A free mobile app for card collectors?

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
chathura77

A free mobile app for card collectors?

Unread post by chathura77 »

Hello everyone,

I am a new card collector, a Computer science Phd student from UK. I thought there is space for a mobile application where you can have records of your card collection and to query information about card decks without having to search the web (like a wiki pretty much on a mobile app) etc. Specially if you have a big collection of cards it is useful to keep track of your card collection. And also maybe you can have information on history of card decks, carditis/magicians etc. on it additionally as well. Furthermore you could have user profiles where users can show off their card collection virtually. I was going to create an app to store records of my card collection, but then I thought someone else might find it useful as well. I am currently thinking of developing the app for android platform. But depending on the demand possibly I could port it to iOS too. So if I can get around to finish this at the end among many other work I got, I will deploy it free of charge for the community (open source). This is just an idea for the time being. Feel free to let me know what you think. Maybe you could suggest things that you might like to have in a mobile app.

Best regards,
Chathura
Mirror
Cardist: Yes

Re: A free mobile app for card collectors?

Unread post by Mirror »

i need it for apple :D
chathura77

Mirror wrote:i need it for apple :D
If there is enough demand I will port the application for apple users. :D
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I'm not sure if the card collecting community is big enough to make any money off of, if that is your intent. Not that I would hold it against you if it is, and I have no idea how much work developing such an app would take. It does sound interesting though, I would definitely cough up a few bucks for something like that :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
chathura77

MagikFingerz wrote:I'm not sure if the card collecting community is big enough to make any money off of, if that is your intent. Not that I would hold it against you if it is, and I have no idea how much work developing such an app would take. It does sound interesting though, I would definitely cough up a few bucks for something like that :)
Thanks for your interest!! :)

My intention is not to make money out of it, rather to contribute something to the community that might help other people. Like I have written in my original post, this application will be a free app and open source (the application code will be freely available openly in a repository so that further development can be carried out, by the community for example). But donations or any kind of support will be welcome when I start the development.

The only thing is that for the wiki, I may need help from knowledgable members of the community to build the wiki. Or the other option is to retrieve the information from a pre built database. I have seen one wiki for card decks a while ago but I can't remember what it was or how up to date it was. I prefer the second option.

Chathura
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

Hey this sounds interesting. I guess you will have my support on this. :D
Simplicity is beautiful.