Virts SS 2015 back

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Virts SS 2015 back

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

So I woke to an e-mail from the Virts saying that the SS 2015 decks were back in stock and there were some left to buy after they fulfilled outstanding orders. Not sure how long these will last but I pasted a link below.....

http://thevirts.us4.list-manage.com/tra ... 2ca10bf4ef" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Virts SS 2015 back

Unread post by Cbkimble »

after this fiasco, they have completely lost my business.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
nECr0MaNCeD

Cbkimble wrote:after this fiasco, they have completely lost my business.

Understandable. One of the pitfalls of learning in business is screwing up and losing customers. I am inclined to be a bit forgiving as they are young and still learning how to do business.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Virts SS 2015 back (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

IMO, they saw how much the previous decks were selling for on eBay and they got greedy. They printed a large quantity, expecting to sell out, but were completely unable to contain a counter to prevent over selling. Many people bought large quantities expecting a high resale, then found out there was a second printing. I don't trust them and everyone should really step back and really look at the big picture. The virts are making a fortune off recolors.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Got a great product? Make the most of it. IMO, they struck a cord and now they're making a song (nice one, ha!). I was worried about lost orders, delays etc, that's unforgivable. But selling their decks at 10$, no limited stuff, two batches so far with no differences (for manic collectors), no limits, doesn't seem they are taking advantage of their position.
I ordered 3 decks and plan to sell two (no cardist, just collector) but just to lower the price a bit. In the end and most of the time, it's avid collectors that disrupt the market, not producers that sell a good deck at a fair price.
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

They're a group of young guys with, as far as I know, no real bankroll but still they self-funded the printing of their first decks right? (I might be wrong here, please correct me if that's the case as I didn't exactly keep track of things for their first two decks.) That explains why it was a quite small print-run for those. They most likely took the earnings from the first run to fund the second, and the earnings from that to fund this one so it seems to me to be more a case of the first decks being limited out of necessity (limited funds), and when they had the chance with this one they decided to print more since there was a demand for it. I can't remember seeing anywhere that these decks were promised to be limited to just one print-run. (Limited to a period of time perhaps, but that's not the same thing.) If people assumed that that was the case and decided to stock up just to flip for money that's kind of their own problem, isn't it? No broken promises there.

Issues with orders, delays overselling or similar stuff I can understand being frustrated about, but that's a whole other issue.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Cbkimble wrote:IMO, they saw how much the previous decks were selling for on eBay and they got greedy. They printed a large quantity, expecting to sell out, but were completely unable to contain a counter to prevent over selling. Many people bought large quantities expecting a high resale, then found out there was a second printing. I don't trust them and everyone should really step back and really look at the big picture. The virts are making a fortune off recolors.
Really? How did they get greedy? The Virts could've printed a "limited" run of 2500 decks and jacked the price to $15.00+ per deck and a lot of people would've been left behind without being able to get a deck, either because they sold out too fast or they couldn't afford it. Instead, they printed a large quantity and sold them at a low price so more people could get access to the decks. Oh, and did I mention, they gave away a butt load of decks for free to all who asked! This doesn't seem to fit my definition of greedy. . .

Where the Virts did screw up was that they totally underestimated the demand for this edition, and the volume of free decks they would have to give away, so they didn't have enough decks to fulfill orders. Due to their poor planning and lack of foresight, they had to resort to a second print run along with it's associated delays to complete fulfillment. Then they exacerbated the problem by not communicating very well to a lot of their disgruntled customers after things started to hit the fan. This was a case of amateurish fulfillment, not greed.
jsantafe wrote:In the end and most of the time, it's avid collectors that disrupt the market, not producers that sell a good deck at a fair price.
This is the truth. In fact, I love it every time speculators get burned when decks they thought would blow up in price and "rarity" fail to significantly go up in value in the aftermarket and they get stuck with their unwanted bricks (Blue Fontaines, anyone?).

At the end of the day, the Virts are going to lose some greedy collectors as customers (and they're not going to lose any sleep over this), but their core demographic of cardists will still support them. And while fulfillment was a failure, they did achieve their primary goal with this release, which was to bring attention to cardistry to a wider audience, as evidenced by their Discovery Channel Documentary on Cardistry.
Mirror

Unread post by Mirror »

I think an important aspect is also that they always informed their customers about the situation of shipping and fulfillment and they never tried to hide the fact that they made a mistake. For me this was important even though I didn't have any problems and received my decks pretty quickly. It makes me trust them even though they screwed up and I will probably get their next deck when it comes out as well.
nECr0MaNCeD

Mirror wrote:I think an important aspect is also that they always informed their customers about the situation of shipping and fulfillment and they never tried to hide the fact that they made a mistake. For me this was important even though I didn't have any problems and received my decks pretty quickly. It makes me trust them even though they screwed up and I will probably get their next deck when it comes out as well.

My feelings exactly. Anyway, I grabbed a brick. I may part with a few but haven't decided yet.