I'm addicted to playing cards

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
amadhatter53
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 512

I'm addicted to playing cards

Unread post by amadhatter53 »

Hello, my name is Jeff, and I'm an addict.

It all started when I was 8 years old. I had gotten a deck from Disney World, and for some reason one from Sea World too. :idea: The collection began.

Up until a few years ago I just collected for the fun of it. I didn't care about limited editions or super valuable decks. I just like interesting. I'd buy lots on eBay, and they didn't even have to be new. I'd ask family and friends who traveled to get me a deck from different countries. eBay was a big part of the process, but the collection grew to over 500 decks.

Earlier this year, I returned to a website I had heard of before, but didn't quite understand so I never bothered with it. The site was called Kickstarter. Everywhere I go I search for playing cards, but I had no idea what I was about to stumble on to. At first it was just a deck here and there, but there were so many awesome decks! The next thing I knew I had pledged hundreds of dollars to almost a score of decks. Then it got worse as I inevitably found the campaigns of the past, and started buying all the decks that had already been created. I don't even want to know how much I've spent since then, but since these decks run $10-20 each, I'm sure it's enough to have easily bought a new computer. :oops:

So, the boy who didn't care about limited editions and brand new decks now owns Red Artiface, Gold Arcane, and 2 decks of Federal 52, just to name a few. I am fiending for a Red Jaqk and an Encarded Zenith, but I've been getting my fix with the less expensive decks. Not to even begin with the 19 Kickstarter decks I've pledged on (only 3 of which I've received).

I don't suppose there's a support group for this? Playing Cards Anonymous? Why not...they have a group for everything else. Maybe I should swap it for a better addiction. So many people seem to like drugs, maybe I should give that a try. Just kidding. About the drugs anyway. I need to become a more discerning collector. Any advice?
chach
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Re: I'm addicted to playing cards

Unread post by chach »

There's indeed a support group, it's called UnitedCardists.com

Welcome to the group, you've come to the right place to support your addiction. And by support I mean we will help you grow your collection. :ugdance:

As for advice, there's no need for you to get anything and everything. Focus on what you like, what fits your bill and floats your fancy so to say. And of course I suggest focus on quality vs quantity. IMO it's better to have a small collection of some incredible decks that you really like than a large collection of decks that you have just to have. But again, focus on what you like, not what everyone else thinks is cool.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck