Bicycle Diploma - now Live / funding on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
vmagic

Bicycle Diploma - now Live / funding on KS

Unread post by vmagic »

This just launched this afternoon on Kickstarter. Designed by Simon Tornberg Hansen of Eagle Playing Cards, Højbjerg, Danmark, who I believe previously designed the Grain Back cards for another project but I believe this one looks much better. Is it similar to the Federal 52? Perhaps. And yes I know the courts are fairly standard, tried to talk him out of it, but he prefers them like this and I think they are fine as is and he has gotten a lot of good feedback as is. And unlike other projects this is ready to go, currently waiting on USPC approvals and will be ready to go for printing once it is funded.

Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Re: Bicycle Diploma KS

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I'll be checking for it of any changes. I remembered the name for it was the Certificate deck. Either I might go for red or blue deck instead of the black.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

Black is what he is going with, apparently he was concerned that if he made a blue deck, people would expect a red one as well and he didn't want to do 2 decks, at least not right off the bat. However I believe there will be a $50,000 stretch goal for a second deck and that will likely be blue.

It is live!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

vmagic wrote:Black is what he is going with, apparently he was concerned that if he made a blue deck, people would expect a red one as well and he didn't want to do 2 decks, at least not right off the bat. However I believe there will be a $50,000 stretch goal for a second deck and that will likely be blue.

It is live!
Interesting. His project page could use a little work, but I like the deck. I happen to have a couple of those "Grain Back" decks that were sold by Ashley Acton ("Grizzly Bear Productions" in England). They were produced by "Ivory" printing in London. Very nice, frankly! (and two out of 100 total).

I'm good for 1/2 brick, a couple of uncut sheets and a signed copy. I think even Tom will like it, with the thin borders and all. 8-)
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
YoYoSpin

Re: Bicycle Diploma - now Live / funding on KS

Unread post by YoYoSpin »

How many of this deck design will be made?
best regards,
Ed D.
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

I believe the plan is the 2500 minimum. Will have addon prices added soon.
Bikefanatic

The tuck/backs are too generic plus not too customized so easy pass for me.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

YoYoSpin

Bikefanatic wrote:The tuck/backs are too generic plus not too customized so easy pass for me.
If it were a limited edition, I would consider backing it. But as it is...I'd have to agree with your pass.
best regards,
Ed D.
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

How is 2500 not limited? It's as limited as most other KS decks but to each his own.

Also it is almost completely custom and I don't see how one could call those backs generic.
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Uncuts are only 20CAD though. If you're into that thing.
YoYoSpin

vmagic wrote:How is 2500 not limited? It's as limited as most other KS decks but to each his own.

Also it is almost completely custom and I don't see how one could call those backs generic.
Thought I had looked over the Kickstarter ad pretty carefully...no mention of limited or 2,500 to be found, except that "if $60k CAD is reached, a limited edition of the deck will be released". Where did you see that this deck is limited to 2,500?
best regards,
Ed D.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I like this deck. And I don't have a problem with the courts. I don't know why a second color wouldn't be silver? Magna and Summa Cum Laude editions??
Bikefanatic

Maybe it's the black color. Design looks good but too much going on. The courts are normal, just colored differently with them holding objects, that's it. This just looks like something somebody just threw together along with making a nice design.

-Lotrek

th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

I just don't get this deck. The back is fine, but the courts are so very underwhelming...

Plus where does the "diploma" theme enter into it? :?

Why the heck are the jacks holding an umbrella, a wine bottle, and whatever the heck the other two jacks are holding... :shock:

The queens are all drinking from stemware... makes me think of JAQK, not "dimploma"... :?

And the Kings are holding what, canes with fancy heads on them???

like i said... not getting it at all. :(

And that's the total extent of the customization on the courts?
Good luck to you all, but there are much better options for my money...
Keep it Sizzlin'!
McSpazzy

Unread post by McSpazzy »

YoYoSpin wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:The tuck/backs are too generic plus not too customized so easy pass for me.
If it were a limited edition, I would consider backing it. But as it is...I'd have to agree with your pass.
Same. Seems like 'just another deck of cards' to me.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

I dont like how they touted the deck as fully custom, when the courts are 90% standard.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

YoYoSpin wrote:
vmagic wrote:How is 2500 not limited? It's as limited as most other KS decks but to each his own.

Thought I had looked over the Kickstarter ad pretty carefully...no mention of limited or 2,500 to be found, except that "if $60k CAD is reached, a limited edition of the deck will be released". Where did you see that this deck is limited to 2,500?
The number 2500 comes from USPCC's minimum print run for custom decks, which means that most decks on kickstarter will have print runs of 2500 unless they sell more than that during the campaign. Very few do, so 2500 is a pretty safe bet.
Mike Ratledge wrote:I think even Tom will like it, with the thin borders and all. 8-)
Thin borders aren't everything, Mike ;)

I have to agree with BikeFanatic, th4mo and McSpazzy, there's just not enough to make this one stand out. And the theme isn't really tangible enough, like th4mo said. This one's giving me an Elite vibe, so it's a definite pass for me.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
YoYoSpin

MagikFingerz wrote:The number 2500 comes from USPCC's minimum print run for custom decks, which means that most decks on kickstarter will have print runs of 2500 unless they sell more than that during the campaign. Very few do, so 2500 is a pretty safe bet.
Yes, I understand that. The point I was so lamely trying to make is that if a deck designer/developer does not declare the deck "limited", the impression I'm left with is that his intent is to sell that design for as long as there are buyers...resulting in a zero rarity factor and no potential for appreciation in value.

If on the other hand, the designer would go ahead and admit that their deck is probably not going to sell more than the initial 2,500 run, and make some assurances that it will be a one-time limited release via Kickstarter, then the deck will almost certainly be more popular, more collectible and more valuable in the long run.

The requiem deck is a great example...the designer stated up front in his Kickstarter ad: "There will only be 3000 decks in total (1500+1500) unless KS users pledge for more during this 30-days campaign." To me, that statement has a lot of value.
best regards,
Ed D.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Ok, I see where you're coming from. Just remember that not promising it being limited does not mean it won't be. I doubt the majority of kickstarter decks have enough of a future selling value that it would be profitable to continue printing them, not to mention that most project creators simply don't have the resources to be able to do so anyway (which is usually why they are on kickstarter in the first place). I haven't seen the statistics for it, but I think betting on a random kickstarter deck being limited is a pretty safe bet.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
BiggerDee

Unread post by BiggerDee »

I like the cards and love the black/gold. I'm in.

Always take the unqualified words "Limited Edition" with a grain of salt. Technically speaking, anything produced can be called a limited edition, meaning that the print/production/manufacturing run was limited. 1 item or 100,000,000, as long as there is a beginning and end to the run, it's technically limited. It may be limited to 500 billion, but it's still limited.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

BiggerDee wrote:I like the cards and love the black/gold. I'm in.

Always take the unqualified words "Limited Edition" with a grain of salt. Technically speaking, anything produced can be called a limited edition, meaning that the print/production/manufacturing run was limited. 1 item or 100,000,000, as long as there is a beginning and end to the run, it's technically limited. It may be limited to 500 billion, but it's still limited.
I think we should start adopting similar terminology as they have for the art print community.
It's either an edition size of a specific number, or it's an "open edition" meaning they can reprint as many as they like.
A note to creators: Give us the facts, and we'll determine the value based on the design and execution. :|

This whole limited and unlimited edition stuff is way too vague and insulting for such a fast growing hobby, inhabited by savvy individuals like myself...
...in my humble opinion. :roll:

S
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Bikefanatic

Just like what Tom mentioned, it's similar to 3 Elite black and gold decks. The Majestic deck (along with Gold and One Million which is pretty much the same shit, slightly different). That's not saying that nobody else can't do black & gold or it doesn't look nice but I think everyone's beef with this deck is with the courts. Even if he stayed with blue or had red available, the courts kills it. It's sad that a deck like ErraticKings didn't get funded when it was fully customized.

-Lotrek

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Sharpie wrote:
BiggerDee wrote:I like the cards and love the black/gold. I'm in.

I think we should start adopting similar terminology as they have for the art print community.
It's either an edition size of a specific number, or it's an "open edition" meaning they can reprint as many as they like.
A note to creators: Give us the facts, and we'll determine the value based on the design and execution. :|

This whole limited and unlimited edition stuff is way too vague and insulting for such a fast growing hobby, inhabited by savvy individuals like myself...
...in my humble opinion. :roll:

S
Tend to agree here - it's a great idea - however there is a third option ;
  • Edition size of a specific number (de-facto 'Limited')
  • Open Eition" meaning they can reprint as many as they like.
  • First Printing Only - i.e. As many as ordered (for the project), minimum run size, never to be reprinted.
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Bikefanatic wrote:Just like what Tom mentioned, it's similar to 3 Elite black and gold decks. The Majestic deck (along with Gold and One Million which is pretty much the same shit, slightly different). That's not saying that nobody else can't do black & gold or it doesn't look nice but I think everyone's beef with this deck is with the courts. Even if he stayed with blue or had red available, the courts kills it. It's sad that a deck like ErraticKings didn't get funded when it was fully customized.

Agree with you guys, this could be another Elite deck. Looked better to me in the original colors, when they went to black and gold it became an Elite ringer.
McSpazzy

Unread post by McSpazzy »

I messaged the guy asking him about the printing. The response I receieved was

'It will be a one time print! There will be printed at least 2500 decks of cards. I cannot tell how many will be made since people can buy as many decks as they like.'
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Sounds like a standard kick starter run. People buy as many as they like during the run which may or may not be more than 2500. The project mgr then orders enough to cover the required amount + some to cover damage and possible under run by USPCC or 2500, whichever is greater.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I don't like this deck enough to pledge, but I think the design is okay.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

In a recent update, the deck creator said that he will be using Kings Wild fulfillment (Jackson Robinson's new fulfillment center to support his other playing card publishing efforts) to ship out rewards for this project. Verrrry interesting, and good news, I think, both for the project and for Jackson's growing business(es).
This space intentionally left blank.
vmagic

Unread post by vmagic »

rousselle wrote:In a recent update, the deck creator said that he will be using Kings Wild fulfillment (Jackson Robinson's new fulfillment center to support his other playing card publishing efforts) to ship out rewards for this project. Verrrry interesting, and good news, I think, both for the project and for Jackson's growing business(es).
Yes he will be. He was originally going to use Amazon but apparently that is a lot of hassle for them to do it.