Rate it! - What makes a great deck of cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
calvintan

Rate it! - What makes a great deck of cards

Unread post by calvintan »

Hello all,

I've been on this forum for years, but never really posted. Just used it to keep up with things, but I figured I should start integrating myself in the community more. Anyway, there are a bunch of non USPCC decks out on the market today. As time goes on, we will see more alternatives to USPCC. There are many factors that play into how a deck of cards handle such as finish and card stock. I want to know what you look for in a deck of cards. What's important to you.

-Durability
-Ability to fan/spread
-Ability to faro evenly
-Look/design

Some non USPCC decks can fan/spread, but not faro. Some look great but are thin and flimsy. So what makes a great deck of cards in your opinion. Please list them in order of preference. For me it's:

1. Ability to fan/spread 2. Durability 3. Look/design 4. Ability to faro evenly

-Calvin
Bikefanatic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 333

Re: Rate it! - What makes a great deck of cards

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Just like my women, they need to look good (design), with a good personality and can be handled well (durable). I can't paro at all but can fan a little.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Mirror
Cardist: Yes

Re: Rate it! - What makes a great deck of cards

Unread post by Mirror »

For me the most important thing is that the deck has a has a design that looks good in card flourishes, so for me the back design is the most important thing I look at when I think about buying a deck. Next comes the handling: It has to stay in packets well so that cuts and card flourishes work well. Fanning ability is great but not the most important thing (I love fanning but if a deck doesn't fan, then that's not a reason for me not to buy it, see the Absolut Vodka deck). So for me, if a deck isn't from USPCC but is still usable for cardistry and has a nice back design, I'll still buy it (an example for this would be the FatBoy deck).