Video Game Playing Cards - What Do You Think?

Anything and everything playing cards!
TorresOVER
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Video Game Playing Cards - What Do You Think?

Unread post by TorresOVER »

Hello United Cardists!

With so many movie-themed decks out there, I'm curious—what do you all think about video game-themed playing cards?

Do you have any video gameplaying cards in your collection? If so, which ones?

I'm working on a video game IP deck right now (can't spill the details yet, but let's just say it’s a killer project that will stab an enemy in the back). We're hoping to make it a series (not for the IP, a Video game series), and I'd love to get your thoughts on which games you think we should consider.

Personally, I'd be over the moon for some Elden Ring or Dark Souls playing cards. ( But Bandai IP isn't that easy to get)

Do you think there's a good market for video game playing cards? Which video game themes would you be excited to see? For me, I bought the WoW, but I think they can recreate more to make it more special.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts
Founder of Room One Cards: Roomonecards.com

What decks I created :
Oppenheimer, 百鬼夜行 Hyakki Yagyō, Plague Doctor, Samurai Otter, Godzilla x Kong
Trial of Blackbeard, Fox's Wedding...
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Video Game Playing Cards - What Do You Think?

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I say what I'm always gonna say; for me personally it solely depends on the design.
I'd love me some Command&Conquer (especially Red Alert), Starcraft, Warcraft or League of Legends cards but all I've seen out there, are either crap souvenir decks or hard to get, as they're part of promotional bundles and stuff.
Seeing that TXI is going a lot for the franchise market definitely makes you think that there is some money in it. Lego and other bigger brick companies go with a lot of franchises as well. When it comes to gaming in particular, Lego Overwatch kinda flopped but so did the game if I sensed that correctly (I'm no gamer so, grain of salt). But now they release Lego Fortnite so, we'll see if gamers in general prefer digital products or with the right franchise they're gonna drop dimes for stuff.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: Video Game Playing Cards - What Do You Think?

Unread post by rousselle »

I own a few decks with an 8-bit-style design; most of the best ones I've seen have been produced by Home Run Games (which has also done some pretty decent reproduction decks.) The 8-bit decks are not game specific, for the most part, but they evoke a lot of the games from the Atari days.

I also picked up a couple officially licensed Halo decks, and they are designed okay enough, but wow did they cheap out on the manufacturer. Like, these cards are really awful to try to play with. Bummer, since I picked them up directly from 343's store (IIRC).

All that said, I think a Fortnite deck has the potential to be ridiculously fun (and funny) if designed by the right people and produced by a decent manufacturer.
This space intentionally left blank.