Bicycle Black Ghost - V1 vs. V2

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Bicycle Black Ghost - V1 vs. V2

Unread post by RSLancastr »

I'm finally getting around to purchasing a Bike Black Ghost deck. I have a White Ghost, but not a Black one.

My question is: What is/are the difference(s) between a Black Ghost V1 and a Black Ghost V2?

I thought I might find the answer on bmpokerworld, but the links to both pages result in the site's main page coming up, which I believe means that the links result in a 404/Not Found error.
-Marcel Marceau
agera94

Re: Bicycle Black Ghost - V1 vs. V2

Unread post by agera94 »

Quick breakdown:
- 1st Edition Black Ghost is the inverse of the 1st print of the white ghosts; tuck box has grey bars on the sides.
- 1st Edition Black Ghost has the white ghost jokers, but inversed. 2nd Edition uses a different pair of jokers which look badass.
- I'm not sure if newer printings of the 2nd edition black ghost use the UV500 stock; it's a very thick, durable and great stock to use.
- The ace of spades in the 1st edition is significantly bigger and stands out more.

Apart from that, there's nothing else to them really. Hope that helped ;)
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

Some minor design change, the most visible are the jokers which are completly different in the second edition (in the first edition, those are simply inverted color of the white ghost deck jokers)

Simply check the pics at those links :

http://www.ellusionist.com/bicycle-blac ... cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ellusionist.com/black-ghost- ... l?___SID=U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit : beat by agera ^^
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
CBJ
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Here they are side by side

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
RSLancastr

Thanks, CBJ!

Are the boxes all that is different between them?

Never mind, I just saw Agera and PlayingCardz' posts - thanks, all!
-Marcel Marceau
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I only have the White Ghost too which I think looks better. Black Ghost looks good but I don't think I'll ever get it.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
RSLancastr

Bikefanatic wrote:I only have the White Ghost too which I think looks better. Black Ghost looks good but I don't think I'll ever get it.
And you call yourself Bikefanatic? Pfft!! ;)
-Marcel Marceau
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I loved the UV-500 stock, and was sad when they discontinued it. Can't have enough decks that glow under blacklight ;)
On a side note - Grid 2.0 is the best example of this, and they just used UV ink. :shock:

I have seen some V2s with UV-500 Air Flow. They're pretty rare though... um :roll: .. I have one. 8-)
No matter where you go... there you are :|
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

There's also a difference between V1's now. About a year ago when E "found" or re-released or however else you want to call what they did to depreciate the value of them, they re-sealed them with shrink wrap because the old cellophane they used was glued poorly and started coming apart. There's no difference between the decks or tuck boxes though.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

In terms of just strictly card stock, nothing beats Ohio Bee stock, and the best examples of Ohio Bee stock are the RJRTC Watermelon Bees and E's UV500 Air Flow decks. Very thick, stiff, and durable. I've got Shadow Masters from their original release over 5 years ago that are still usable.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

RSLancastr wrote:
Bikefanatic wrote:I only have the White Ghost too which I think looks better. Black Ghost looks good but I don't think I'll ever get it.
Yup because I only buy that brand plus only get the decks I like, not everything just for it to be around. I actually play with my decks.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
RSLancastr

Bikefanatic wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:
Yup because I only buy that brand plus only get the decks I like, not everything just for it to be around. I actually play with my decks.
Careful, or you'll go blind!

Oh, wait, I see...never mind! (Darn these glasses!)
-Marcel Marceau
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

sinjin7 wrote:In terms of just strictly card stock, nothing beats Ohio Bee stock, and the best examples of Ohio Bee stock are the RJRTC Watermelon Bees and E's UV500 Air Flow decks. Very thick, stiff, and durable. I've got Shadow Masters from their original release over 5 years ago that are still usable.
Exactly ! I fell in love with my Ghost UV500 :)
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I still have some UV-500 decks from Ellusionist... if anyone's interested.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

I was very happy when I obtained my BG v1. I got it when it was still in high demand and worth a lot of money. E seems to have a knack for bringing down the value of their decks in the secondary market. It wasn't a big deal to me as I wanted the deck for my collection not for resale.
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

walrus wrote:I was very happy when I obtained my BG v1. I got it when it was still in high demand and worth a lot of money. E seems to have a knack for bringing down the value of their decks in the secondary market.
They tend to build a 'rare' deck up, slowly releasing a few at a time, until it becomes quite valuable in the secondary market, and then use it for one of their 'buy $50/$100 of stuff and get one free' deals. In the process they significantly devalue the deck. It was different situation when the only way you could get a BGv1 was as a free gift when you brought $375 worth of gear...

Like you, I got it when it was in high demand, but they're commonly available for about $60 on ebay these days. (Considering there were 5000 printed, that's probably fair value)
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

A friend is setting up a black light area in his shop and I am going to take in all my UV5s to see them in all their glory. The Tatoo deck has some pretty bright colours in it so perhaps it will do some glow as well. Like Sharpie's my BG v2 says UV500 on the side - I planned on testing that out as I heard only the first edition would glow.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
RSLancastr

New avatar, dazz?
-Marcel Marceau
amadhatter53
Decks Owned: 512

Unread post by amadhatter53 »

vasta41 wrote:There's also a difference between V1's now. About a year ago when E "found" or re-released or however else you want to call what they did to depreciate the value of them, they re-sealed them with shrink wrap because the old cellophane they used was glued poorly and started coming apart. There's no difference between the decks or tuck boxes though.
I found this out the hard way when I bought a Black Ghost, and the plastic looked so weird I thought the deck was counterfeit. Finally I was able to confer with Ellusionist and they apprised me on the whole re-sealing issue, and they believed my deck to be genuine. However, until reading this post I didn't realize having a re-sealed deck would be less valuable than one that wasn't. Any idea how much less valuable? I know it's basically impossible to assign a universal dollar value to deck, but for the sake of discussion, let us assume Black Ghost V1 has a value of $100.00. What would be the best guess as to what a resealed deck would drop to from that figure?
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

I've never once seen anyone make a difference in their secondary market value. In fact, reading through this thread this is the first I've even seen the question raised. It's the same print-run, it's just another type of cellophane on them, and it's been the same for the last few years.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I've got a v.1 Black Ghost in the bolted steel case, and I can see through the plexiglass that the original cellophane wrap is starting to bubble and come a bit loose. I think the fact that E re-wrapped the decks was an improvement and shouldn't de-value those decks at all. Given what the wrap on my deck is looking like, I think I actually prefer it to look cleaner and newer with the re-wrap.
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

sinjin7 wrote:I've got a v.1 Black Ghost in the bolted steel case, and I can see through the plexiglass that the original cellophane wrap is starting to bubble and come a bit loose. I think the fact that E re-wrapped the decks was an improvement and shouldn't de-value those decks at all. Given what the wrap on my deck is looking like, I think I actually prefer it to look cleaner and newer with the re-wrap.
Personally, I agree the value should be the same - especially as it's well known/published that E did this to all their remaining decks (it's not like some questionable eBay seller or anything). And it does look cleaner. My V1's are shrinkwrapped ones, so I may have a slight horse in this (if I were interested in selling). I have a few early S&M's and some others who need to be handled carefully these days as their cello is quite loose...

... despite this there's still a piece of me that prefers it being 'stock'.
Aussie888

Unread post by Aussie888 »

Gareth wrote:I have a few early S&M's and some others who need to be handled carefully these days as their cello is quite loose...
S&M, careful handling, and string instruments? Just what kind of playing cards are you in to :P