Camelot by Tim Olinger

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
manu

Camelot by Tim Olinger

Unread post by manu »

Camelot Linen Cards.png
Camelot Linen Cards.png (285.31 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards.jpg
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards.png
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards.png (118.39 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards (1)..jpg
CAMELOT Linen Playing Cards (1)..jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
Camelot Linen Cards.jpg
Camelot Linen Cards.jpg (180.12 KiB) Viewed 13320 times
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Camelot by Tim Olinger

Unread post by kevork »

I'm impressed by the pricing on these. Early birds of $6, $7, and $8 for the deck, with $12 being the retail price. The deck is also $5 as an add-on. Potential red flag, however?

Creator is also listed as having 45 created projects but many were cancelled, hence the high number.

Reminds me of this deck that never fulfilled, but was created by the infamous disappearing act, Natalia Silva. Same artist, actually. I would've loved this deck, personally.
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

I'll give him credit for being persistent, he failed 4 times on the same deck and then gave up for about a year.

Not really sure what the issue is with his campaigns other than being generic I guess (or not well known).

Probably a hard wait and see,

60 day campaign thats...not going to help one way or the other.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Jocu »

Bit of an own goal going to the never-fulfilled Natalia Silva campaign and cross-posting the new campaign as being 'by the same artist' without underlining that it isn't Natalia Silva. Why you'd even think to associate yourself with the former campaign is beyond me...
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Jocu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm Bit of an own goal going to the never-fulfilled Natalia Silva campaign and cross-posting the new campaign as being 'by the same artist' without underlining that it isn't Natalia Silva. Why you'd even think to associate yourself with the former campaign is beyond me...
Did the CREATOR do that? I didn't see anything cross posting other than Kevork commenting on the link.
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
Evilgamer

Unread post by Evilgamer »

KingfisherZero wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:34 pm
Jocu wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:06 pm Bit of an own goal going to the never-fulfilled Natalia Silva campaign and cross-posting the new campaign as being 'by the same artist' without underlining that it isn't Natalia Silva. Why you'd even think to associate yourself with the former campaign is beyond me...
Did the CREATOR do that? I didn't see anything cross posting other than Kevork commenting on the link.

sure did

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... s/comments
Tim Olinger
about 9 hours ago
I have launched a kickstarter using the same artist. We have made a camelot themed deck since it doesn't look like we will ever get avalon. http://kck.st/3M24Ev7
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Well there you go. Not the best of ideas - agreed. Not that he should be blamed for Natalia's sins...but why even draw the parallel?
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

KingfisherZero wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:54 pm Well there you go. Not the best of ideas - agreed. Not that he should be blamed for Natalia's sins...but why even draw the parallel?
I merely drew the parallel when I immediately got reminded of the Avalon campaign and then it made sense when I saw it was the same artist. I am not implying there is anything negative about using the same artist.

Based on the creator's comment, it feels like one of the reasons he is using the specific artist is because we'll likely never get Avalon and he wants a Camelot themed deck to be created. I imagine as a creator, using an artist who has already proven their capabilities not only adds to one's reassurance that the artist will deliver, but also makes the process speedier/easier.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

KingfisherZero wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:34 pm
Yeah sorry, was referring to the now linked comment. Pages of people threatening Natalia Silva and the creators like ‘oh hey guys’…

A shame as the artist is likely completely innocent. All that fiasco was even before our time. The OG legendary KS disappearing act.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Nevermind!
shunterino
White Whale: Wicked Kingdom
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by shunterino »

vasta41 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:49 pm Nevermind!
I'm confused. I thought he's using the same artist (Magdalena something) not working with this Natalia person.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

shunterino wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:00 pm
vasta41 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:49 pm Nevermind!
I'm confused. I thought he's using the same artist (Magdalena something) not working with this Natalia person.
Oh, really? I'll retract my statement if that's true. I saw her name pop up on the kicktraq link... Hmm
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Avalon was the first (and only, except Tough Luck is looking more and more like the second) Kickstarter that ever burned me. I still like the art style of that original but don't really care for how it has evolved for this project. Until today, I never realized the N.S. was NOT the artist for that deck.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

I feel as though I have confused everyone. The artist for this deck is Magdalena "Bubug" Kaczan. She just so happens to have been the artist for the Avalon campaign. Her artistic style was so recognizable to me that I was able to connect the two dots.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

kevork wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:47 pm I feel as though I have confused everyone. The artist for this deck is Magdalena "Bubug" Kaczan. She just so happens to have been the artist for the Avalon campaign. Her artistic style was so recognizable to me that I was able to connect the two dots.
Thanks for the clarification. I see her name and my blood boils. I fixed my posts.
ALBERTO68
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by ALBERTO68 »

I canceled my pledge.
Honeybee
White Whale: Hardcover S17 Anthology
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

KingfisherZero wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:54 pm Well there you go. Not the best of ideas - agreed. Not that he should be blamed for Natalia's sins...but why even draw the parallel?
I guess because he was explaining his motivation:
The extremely talented artist who i have partnered with to create the Camelot deck is Magdalena "Bubug" Kaczan. Her amazing work on the Avalon project was the inspiration for this campaign. She is an artist, and I was a backer who never received my pledge reward. I was very disappointed that I would probably never get the beautiful playing cards that I have paid for. I reached out to Magdalena who was also disappointed that her work would never be published. We have worked hard to make something with the same theme so that the world might have the opportunity to have something comparable. I hope anyone who was also disappointed that Avalon won't be published, will not hold it against us who are not to blame.
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Printer is unclear but these do have a linen finish and fan nicely. The tuck is a standard glossy tuck and states Made in China. This is the most affordable playing card KS I've ever backed. $8 for one deck and $5 for another deck added on. No shipping charge. The shipping to me cost him $6 from the label I saw on the box. I just think Tim really wanted to see these made and didn't care to profit off anyone. He got them to us in 2 months between the time he ordered the cards and them arriving on my doorstep. Incredible work and I commend him.
20240226_195755.jpg
20240226_195947.jpg
20240226_200046.jpg
WoPC

Unread post by WoPC »

My decks just arrived, it has an interesting backstory so it'll make a good review. Has anybody figured out who the manufacturer is yet?
zuccha

Unread post by zuccha »

I received mine and as kevork said the fan works perfectly and feels great when bent. The traditional cut makes the faro shuffle easy.
The texture feels like MPC's M31 Beta Finish and the thickness is about equal, but it is about 0.5mm larger in length and width than the MPC(Bicycle).
Since the price was low, I had no expectations for handling, but I really liked this paper quality.
Yes, of course, the design is great. I wish I had bought several at once. (Too bad It didn't reach stretch goal for the red and black edition.)
zuccha

Unread post by zuccha »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/39 ... s/comments
On Avalon's comments page, Tim mentioned he used MPC. I wonder why the size is a bit larger than other MPC products I have? (the corner radius is also a little different).