Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms 2: Mountain and Dungeon

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
jon_bg

Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms 2: Mountain and Dungeon

Unread post by jon_bg »

Hello everybody!

Just wanted to announce our follow-up set of decks for our fantasy-themed playing cards, launching this coming Tuesday (Aug 16th)!

These two new decks complete what we originally hoped would become a 4-deck set, with the card backs and tuck box colors based on the colors for each of the different suits/kingdoms, with unique jokers in each deck based on their particular realm.

From the First Kickstarter:
Nature Deck: Green, color based on the Elves/Hearts suit, Fairy jokers
Magic Deck: Purple, color based on the Undead/Spades suit, Imp jokers
In this New Kickstarter:
Mountain Deck: Blue, color based on the Orcs/Clubs suit, Leprechaun joker, Mountain dragon joker
Dungeon Deck: Orange, color based on the Dwarves/Diamonds suit, Rogue joker, Dungeon dragon joker

The jokers for these new decks are based on a quest theme, with dragons as guardians of the bonus treasure card. Greg had quite a bit of fun working some details into the Leprechaun that have to do with a certain favorite movie. And his idea for the rogue using a pack spider is really fun.

Although color-matching may be tricky, we plan for the 56th card in these decks to be dragon jokers for the original Nature and Magic decks. If the color matching of the card backs turns out well, this would allow backers of the previous campaign to have dragon jokers for their Nature and Magic decks. We have some decks left over from the previous kickstarter, so a limited number of Nature and Magic decks will be available as add-ons.

The number and AKQJ cards will be the same as the original decks:

Some other details that may be of interest:
- Same card type as before (Bicycle premium paper stock, air cushioned, poker size)
- Premium tucks by GW, already have the paper set aside and the prototypes look awesome. Not just a stretch goal this time.

Here is the link to the Kickstarter Preview page if you want to check out the details and share some last-minute feedback:
https://bit.ly/TMK2preview

And here is the official link to the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... ingdoms-ii

We're so excited!
STLBluesNut

Re: Tournament of the Mythic Kingdoms 2: Mountain and Dungeon

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

the art looks good enough to overlook the banners separating the courts halves.

apparently, these are the last 2 of 4 in different colors. it appears all of the court art is the same and just the jokers are different?

on e the preview you can only buy pairs or more, no option to buy just one deck unfortunately.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

STLBluesNut wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:47 am apparently, these are the last 2 of 4 in different colors. it appears all of the court art is the same and just the jokers are different?
Exactly - just the jokers and the card backs are different.

We've added a one-deck option. Thanks for the feedback!
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

... and we're live! Huge thanks to all the backers!
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Easily funded as expected. Congratulations. I passed on the first offering but am now inclined to pull the all-in trigger. How much is shipping for the $174-reward-tier?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:53 pm Easily funded as expected. Congratulations. I passed on the first offering but am now inclined to pull the all-in trigger. How much is shipping for the $174-reward-tier?
Thank you!
Shipping for Ultimate Pledge: US=$18 (the books make it more complicated than just cards), International=Quite a Bit More (CAN/MEX=$45, ROW=$60)
DestinationQ1
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 450

Unread post by DestinationQ1 »

Awesome deck! I am also in it for the All-In tier. 👍
jon_bg

Re: Ideas for Bonus Extras - Foldable Card Display Stands

Unread post by jon_bg »

Hi all, we're thinking of including some extra bonus cards in each package (not within the decks themselves, but as random extras) and we'd like to know what you think about these ideas for making card display stands by just folding normal cards. We went through quite a few decks of extra cards brainstorming various ideas and these are our favorites for their simplicity and robustness:

Does folding a card (even if it's just a random extra) cause you to cringe, or would it be cool to have cards that were meant to be folded like this? Has this been done before (it hasn't that we can tell)?
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

The T11 Bad Robot had some anamorphic ad cards to actually cut out. And yes, I did that because it's fun 😃.

Chris Ramsay had a video on them. Cards are mentioned at 12:00.

And cardistry touch Origin came with an extra card that was meant to be folded for a smart phone stand - so that you can watch cardistry tutorials.

So TL;DR: I like the concept to make real use of ad cards. Makes your deck more memorable.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

Harvonsgard wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 am So TL;DR: I like the concept to make real use of ad cards. Makes your deck more memorable.
Thanks for sharing the video - that was a neat 3D effect with that card cutout. The phone holder is a cool idea, too ... though that's quite a bit of weight to hold - must have been a clever fold.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

I'm no engineer, so I can't speak to the best design that way, but I really like the third idea then the second. Don't care for the first at all.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

wingedpotato wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:11 am I'm no engineer, so I can't speak to the best design that way, but I really like the third idea then the second. Don't care for the first at all.
Thanks. Not surprisingly, the first one was one of our first ideas in our crazy folding brainstorm. For purely displaying (no labels), I like the second. The third would be fun for including a label or graphic, such as a design that makes it look like the card is on a pedestal, or for branding it might look like a metal name plate you'd put on a plaque. Could even have 3 cards labeled "1st Place", "2nd Place, "3rd Place" ... still just brainstorming.
jon_bg

Re: Themed Card Game Score Sheets

Unread post by jon_bg »

Hi all, we're going to be providing PDF downloads for these Mythic Kingdoms themed score sheets tomorrow in our next update. I would imagine this has been done before for other decks, but if not, what do you think of this idea?

One of them is just a generic score sheet for common card games. We're thinking of making more of these perhaps for specific games. Worth the effort?

jon_bg

Unread post by jon_bg »

We recently posted a themed set of rules for a variant of Spades in Update #4 that works well with these cards.

Anyone know of other fantasy-themed card games that are played with 52-card decks (or also with jokers)?

Here are the ones I've found so far:
jon_bg

Re: New Solo Dungeon Crawler Game

Unread post by jon_bg »

Want to play a new solo dungeon crawler game variant that we created based on the Mythic Kingdoms theme? Here are the rules for "Mythic Dungeon Crawler" - a mash-up of Scoundrel and the digital app Card Crawl.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... ts/3605788

The basic rules will work for a regular deck of playing cards, also.

There are still 2 days left on our campaign!
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Re: New Solo Dungeon Crawler Game

Unread post by Eric Lee »

jon_bg wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:17 am Want to play a new solo dungeon crawler game variant that we created based on the Mythic Kingdoms theme? Here are the rules for "Mythic Dungeon Crawler" - a mash-up of Scoundrel and the digital app Card Crawl.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bo ... ts/3605788

The basic rules will work for a regular deck of playing cards, also.

There are still 2 days left on our campaign!
Thanks for linking all these great games. Really putting value into your decks!
GandalfPC
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

jon_bg wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:42 pm Anyone know of other fantasy-themed card games that are played with 52-card decks (or also with jokers)?
Standard Deck Dungeon

Instructions: http://amesgames.mygamesonline.org/Stan ... 1.0%29.pdf

Quick Reference: http://amesgames.mygamesonline.org/Stan ... 0Sheet.pdf
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

jon_bg wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:42 pm

Anyone know of other fantasy-themed card games that are played with 52-card decks (or also with jokers)?
There's the old classic Wizard. But you'll need to find cards to create 4 wizards. Asian decks usually have 4 jokers.

https://playingcarddecks.com/products/t ... 29f3&_ss=r