Kings Wild "Vintage Reimagined" Subscription

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Kings Wild "Vintage Reimagined" Subscription

Unread post by hsbc »

The Vintage Reimagined playing card subscription is a 6 deck series that explores reimagining some of artist Jackson Robinson’s favorite antique decks that were originally produced from 1880-1900.

Jackson’s intent with the Vintage Reimagined series is to take the spirit and theme of each classic deck and “Reimagine” it as if he was designing it in his own style, back in the 1800s. The decks reimagined in this series have played a significant role in Jackson’s inspiration and evolution as a playing card designer.

2022: JAN, MAR, MAY, JULY, SEPTEMBER, NOVEMBER

Limited, $35
Gilded, $65
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Re: Kings Wild "Vintage Reimagined" Subscription

Unread post by vasta41 »

This deck looks great. If it were $25 cheaper... I'd love to hear from anyone who has this subscription and thinks it's worth it so far.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

I think PCD is doing this quite well and for much much less.
steampunk52

Unread post by steampunk52 »

vasta41 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 am This deck looks great. If it were $25 cheaper... I'd love to hear from anyone who has this subscription and thinks it's worth it so far.
I subscribed to the LTD tier for this line-up. I haven't received the deck yet, so I haven't seen it in person. But, when I saw the teaser photos, I cancelled my subscription. Since it was the only subscription I signed up for, it is $41 shipped. I decided I don't like it enough for that amount. And while I completely understand finding creative ways as a business to sell more product, I think I am a little bit salty from some of the various special edition drops last year that erode the 'collectibility' of some of the subscription decks. The Cut Wagyu Edition., Table Players Lucky Strike Gilded Editions, the various 12 Days of Christmas collectors boxes, etc. I realized I could have passed on my Table Players subscriptions, just picked up a more unique edition of gilded TP No.7 or picked up the year's releases in a nice case to boot.

As the subscriptions are still open, I presume there will be extras at the end of the year and imagine there will ultimately be alternative releases, if last year was any guide. I think I will wait for those and/or pick up the specific decks of interest. I once had several subscriptions, but I don't feel like they are worth it (to me) at the moment, particularly with price increases.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Yeah, I'm holding out judgment until I get my deck, but this doesn't look like a $35 deck to me :(
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Totally agree, which will be disappointing. I like the theme of the series, but $35 for one of these is obscene to me.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

brownsl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:10 pm Totally agree, which will be disappointing. I like the theme of the series, but $35 for one of these is obscene to me.
+1
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

And I don't want to cancel my subscription! I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor with the first Shorts subscription and I've enjoyed getting them each month - to me this is the spiritual replacement and I want to like it :(
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
EvilDuncan
White Whale: Heretic Gran Riserva S + Sb
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by EvilDuncan »

I do understand Jackson's reason for doing this since these types of decks don't sell well outside of those who are already subscribed, but these prices are way higher than I think they need to be for limited runs. I'm in for the moment because I really like the idea.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Didn't bought KWP decks for almost forever due to price. I would have loved to get these but when I see what I get from other designers for less money (e.g. Morésque) I just can't justify the prices Jackson even asks for his standard decks.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

Harvonsgard wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 am Didn't bought KWP decks for almost forever due to price. I would have loved to get these but when I see what I get from other designers for less money (e.g. Morésque) I just can't justify the prices Jackson even asks for his standard decks.
I agree. The pricing is insane if for example compared with https://www.patreon.com/posts/notorious-frog-61271735 for $9.90.
Remember Earth clearly.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

Some people might confused if they aren't a Patron of Lorenzo. He announced that there will be a version of Notorious Gambling Frog printed that will likely sell at his shop for around $10. However I don't think it's apples to apples comparison as for the Lorenzon deck is 3000 printed and isn't based on a Vintage design.

Agree that the price point for the KWP deck is a bit much, but that's his model and he has his customers who go for it. We can always compare to other decks that are cheaper. I mean hell, the Great Wylenti deck by Lotrek was available for €9 through the Tale of the Tempest KS which might be the most amazing deal ever, but still not an equal comparison.
james001a
White Whale: Aurum Laser Cut

Unread post by james001a »

I have been a KWP subscriber for years, but it is just too expensive, and the only deck I am looking forward to this year is the pounds sterling one. I dropped the reimagined sub, but will hold on to the other one. I forgot the name.
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

-Mitch Hedberg
Harvonsgard

Comparison is the death of joy of course, but we all know why we do it, right? Can't have'em all.

I really like the approach of having more background info provided by a capacity of antique deck collecting and all but yah... still not worth the price for me personally.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Texan '36

https://kingswildproject.com/pages/texas
When The Russell & Morgan Printing Company first began production of their Texan ‘45 brand in 1889, they knew nothing summoned the spirits of the Lone Star State better than the history of playing cards in America. From the eastern Piney Forest, across the Rolling Plains, all the way to the banks of the Rio Grande, Texans loved playing cards. They still do today. There couldn’t be a state more associated with their use. Texas Hold ‘Em, anyone?

In 1889, the RMPC was a soon-to-be playing card juggernaut but still in its beginning phases. They had been manufacturing US Playing Cards for eight years, and their product range was constantly expanding. By then, their brands had already encompassed many popular regions, occupations and interests. Steamboats, Sportsman’s, Tigers, Army & Navy, Congress, Capital, Tourists, Bicycle, Cabinet, were all brands keyed into specific demographics, and they all made perfect sense in the eastern United States.

The intended purpose of Texan ‘45s was to fill a deficiency in the market. People wanted an affordable playing card like Tigers/Steamboats but better quality like Bicycle. The RMPC answered the call with a bold new brand designed to fit in- between. Texan playing cards were advertised as “Triple Strength” and “Made especially to meet the demands of players desiring cards with a higher finish.” Texans were also superior in “strength and quality of stock” and would “outwear any similar cards.”

Unlike most brands under the US Playing Cards banner like 606, 707 or 808, Texan playing cards were given a meaningful number for identification and ordering purposes. The number 45 had long been associated with Texas because, in 1845, Texas was annexed into the United States of America and became the 28th state.

Texan playing cards were produced for over forty years and phased out during The Great Depression. Across the decades, five-plus distinct deck versions were released, all featuring the now-famous “Texan” Joker. At launch, because they were competing with Tigers and Steamboats, Texans were exclusively offered in plaid/calico backs. This soon changed, and within a few years, the brand included many outstanding and colorful Texas-themed back designs like Saddle, Lone Star and Palm Leaf. For a short time in the early 1890s, like all USPCC offerings, Texan ‘45 playing cards were available with gold edges; they were called Extra Texan or ‘45x.

The Various Ace of Spades designs of the original Texan '45 deck show not only an evolution in the design but also display the history of name changes the company went through, from Russell & Morgan Printing Co. to the United States Playing Card Co.

Texan ‘45 back designs came in blue and red, but some, such as the Lone Star and Palm Leaf, were also manufactured in brown and green. Collectors today can hope to find examples of each generation of Texan playing cards but will have a difficult time due to the variety in backs coupled with multiple Ace of Spade design changes plus gold edges.

Like Texan ‘45 backs and AOS designs, many Tuck Boxes were produced throughout the brand's life. They were always spectacular and accurately represented (if not reproduced) the quality product that lay within. I've included the first tuck box design submitted in 1888, Registered 1889 on the front page and one of the last tuck designs patented in 1921 below.

Overall, Texans were an outstanding pack of cards, but who is that rider depicted on the Joker? There's a good possibility that its none other than Texas Jack.“

Texas Jack” Omohundro was a legendary American Cowboy, Frontier Scout and Adventurer. He was friends with “Wild Bill” Hickok and “Buffalo Bill” Cody and performed in Cody’s Wild West shows from 1872 until 1877. He was also a popular Dime novel character, with many stories written (mostly fiction) about his exploits across the American West. Jack died in 1880, but when the RMPC went looking for inspiration for their new Texan ‘45 Playing Cards, his continued popularity would have placed him at the top of the list. Similar to Texas Jack’s depiction in the dime novels, the USPCC’s version showcased their cowboy participating in various adventures. As the brand's popularity increased, he would soon become one of the unofficial company mascots and often appear in magazine/ periodical advertising and other printed materials such as Russell & Morgan’s yearly calendars.

In many ways, Texan ‘45 playing cards encapsulated the final excitement of America’s Golden West. As the great adventure finally came to an end and citizens moved on with the times into the 20th century, Texan playing cards, at least for a time, would remain a testament to wide-open spaces, cowboys and the country’s not-so-distant past.

The story of Texan ‘45 didn't end there because another country loved them almost as much as the Americans did. The Canadian division of The United States Playing Card Company began manufacturing playing cards in Toronto, Canada, in 1914. In 1918 they moved to Windsor and remained for 80 years. The decks produced in Canada were nearly identical to their American counterparts but easily distinguished by the address. Besides Bicycle and Congress, one of the most popular decks sold in Canadian history was Texan ‘45, and they were manufactured there until the 1980s.

In modern times the United States Playing Card Company has revived this old friend a few times. In 1984, The USPCC produced a Marlboro-inspired Texan ‘45 double deck poker set, and in 1985, they made an advertising tie-in deck for the Hollywood movie Silverado. Recently, a limited-edition run of Texans was manufactured in 2007 and again a few years later after the USPCC moved to Erlanger, Kentucky, in 2009.

Still not sure whether I'm going to keep ths sub. The cards are certainly not bad, and the historical info really makes me want to support these! I would much prefer a booklet to a website though :lol:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

It's a really nice standard deck. I like those KWP standard faces very much and I'd like to play them. Not for $35 though. I would start thinking of buying these when they hit $15, :(
Remember Earth clearly.
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

i did not read the whole thing posted above and it probably has something to do with the vintage deck but why the blue backs with the red tuck? the price? Yeesh.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

I get excited when hsbc posts their pics because I really get to see what everything looks like IRL. Always great pics, thanks!
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

wingedpotato wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:13 pm I get excited when hsbc posts their pics because I really get to see what everything looks like IRL. Always great pics, thanks!
agreed. i may not always like the design but always appreciate the effort and showing us what the decks ended up looking like.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Upcoming decks.... El Dorado and Empire

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Harvonsgard

Apologies for me ignorance but weren't all Vintage Reimagined supposed to come in the fake leather slide box?

Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

hsbc, thanks for sharing the post and the article. I did read it and found it interesting since I am 4th generation Texan. You can definitely see Jackson's great talent on tho tuck and custom parts of the deck. I get some concern on the pricing, but it really came down to this being a passion project for Jackson. He WANTED to do these decks. Unfortunately, his experience with the Table Players deck was that this would be a niche market. It was therefore unlikely he would be able to sell them to a broad market. As such, I am sure he then chose to really upmarket the tucks and such to make these a high-end product with a small release. He can get a minimum order size for USPCC printing and no more. Those decks in can sell for a higher price per deck to recover his production and handling costs. Even with the markup, this will not be a money making machine for Jackson. I am sure he can make a lot more selling cheaper decks by the boatloads with a small mark up than a few with a huge mark up.

Anyway, as much as I like the Texan remake, I am just not that into standardish decks to justify it. I had too many other things I wanted to collect. I still have my several subscriptions of the six No. 13 Club decks coming out this year, including a limited, gilded and 3 standard decks for each issue. I will probably be on that list as long as Jackson continues that subscription program.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Harvonsgard wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:19 pm Apologies for me ignorance but weren't all Vintage Reimagined supposed to come in the fake leather slide box?
Only the gilded decks, to my great disappointment :lol:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

This was the one I had to pass on because of price, but also becasue when it comes to vintage repro decks, I dont think having standard modern faces really does them justice and kind of defeats teh point. PCD does a fantastic job with their repro decks, and I feel like im getting a much higher quality deck from them, in this regard.
Harvonsgard

macstrat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:55 amI dont think having standard modern faces really does them justice and kind of defeats teh point.
Modern faces? The courts Jackson used are ~100 years old.

hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

March 2022 deck will be Empire

From Discord, tucks printed by Clove St. Press:

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
EvilDuncan

This is one of the things I love about KWP so much. The paper quality/texture for the boxes is so much better than most decks. This is great for someone like me who doesn't open his decks.
I've spent way more than I care to admit on playing cards, but I'll still buy just about anything that Lorenzo, Jackson, or Gio make.
Strag

Unread post by Strag »

That white tuck with red printing is probably the best tuck I have seen from Jackson in quite some time. Bravo!
EvilDuncan

Agreed. I'll admit I wasn't very interested in this deck back when I only saw the digital design, but the texture really makes it work.
Harvonsgard

Got an email that Texan is available to the public now. Was thinking about grabbing some... Wasn't thinking for long...