Mantecore v3 - Mantecoremmunity

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
siegismyname
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Mantecore v3 - Mantecoremmunity

Unread post by siegismyname »

Hey guys. Siegismyname from Instagram here. I am also the creator of Mantecore playing cards. I have been working with Edo Huang on the past 2 Mantecore decks (http://instagram.com/Mantecore) and am currently working on the next deck.

Having so many people love our previous 2 decks and give us valuable feedback on how we can improve our deck, we thought what better way to move forward than to incorporate YOUR ideas and design into our next Mantecore deck.

If you could design a tiger themed deck of playing cards, how and what would it look like? Here’s how to submit your design/ideas:
Sketch or describe the idea for an ace, the back design, the court cards or even the jokers.
Post your ideas on your Instagram page with the hashtag #mantecor3 and #mantecore and tag @mantecore so that we can keep track of it. Do send us a dm with the design if your acc is private.
Note: If you do not have Instagram you could also email your ideas/design to mantecorepc@gmail.com.
Disclaimer: All design/ideas submitted to us will allow us to use your design in part or fully if selected.

​We will choose 5 of our favorite design/ideas and Edo will incorporate them into the final design.

​The plan is to get the deck on Kickstarter by the start of year of the tiger in 2022(1 Feb). If the deck is funded, the 5 submissions that we choose will receive one brick of the newly funded Mantecore deck shipped to you on the house.

​Submissions end 31 July and our favourite picks will be announced on 15 Aug.

Attachments
A594CE81-2B36-4522-B755-20B05BBBD518.jpeg
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Re: Mantecore v3 (Working title)

Unread post by bdawg923 »

Are you paying the designer who gets selected?
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

I guess the brick is your payment.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

bdawg923 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:41 am Are you paying the designer who gets selected?
Doesn't seem to me like he's looking for actual designs, just ideas/concepts and Edo will do the actual designing.

Sounds like a neat approach, I'm sure there are people out there with good ideas but a lack of designing skills.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
bdawg923

Harvonsgard wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:04 pm I guess the brick is your payment.
So, no.
MagikFingerz wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:43 pm
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:41 am Are you paying the designer who gets selected?
Doesn't seem to me like he's looking for actual designs, just ideas/concepts and Edo will do the actual designing.

Sounds like a neat approach, I'm sure there are people out there with good ideas but a lack of designing skills.
Disclaimer: All design/ideas submitted to us will allow us to use your design in part or fully if selected.
Seems like free work to me. The brick costs them what, $20 in production costs? Cards don't pay bills. It rubs me the wrong way when people try to get designers to work for free.
Harvonsgard

You get a brick if you send them "Make it black/orange tigerstripe gilded" and they pick that idea up. Not really work.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
justplaycards
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by justplaycards »

bdawg923 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm Seems like free work to me. The brick costs them what, $20 in production costs? Cards don't pay bills. It rubs me the wrong way when people try to get designers to work for free.
Wow you got to hook me up with what printer there using. I wish my production costs were that low.

Winning a competition is how Gio got started with the Evil Deck. I think all in all its a good thing for someone looking for a way to get started. Or even for a collector who always wanted to scratch that itch.
siegismyname

Hi all,

Yeah. Production definitely is not $20 for a brick and it’s more to those who are interested in being a part of a very meaningful deck of playing cards not so much of helping someone to pay their bills. Can’t wait to see more designs!

Cheers
Ben
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

bdawg923 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Seems like free work to me. The brick costs them what, $20 in production costs? Cards don't pay bills. It rubs me the wrong way when people try to get designers to work for free.
Your point about designers need to be paid is on point.

Your point about production costs is not.
bdawg923

Strag wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:22 am
bdawg923 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:54 pm
Your point about designers need to be paid is on point.

Your point about production costs is not.
Fair enough. I checked MPC pricing for 2500 decks which is about $2 per deck so a brick would be $24. If they make more, it costs less per deck https://www.makeplayingcards.com/design ... poker.html I figured the other companies are a bit more but in the same range at least. Even if a brick costs them $75 to produce, my point was still you can't pay bills with playing cards. It's one thing to design a deck and then ask people what they think, tweak it, incorporate suggestions, changes, etc. It's another thing to ask people to submit designs and say you may use the whole design and "pay" them with a brick. A brick of playing cards is not payment. This post reads to me like the designer doesn't know what to make, so they're asking for someone to design their deck for them and profit off it without paying the designer. On reddit they told me this is aimed at enthusiasts and not designers. As if other people don't have bills to pay?

edit: spelling mistakes
veil
White Whale: Arabesque Error
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by veil »

bdawg923 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 am Even if a brick costs them $75 to produce, my point was still you can't pay bills with playing cards. It's one thing to design a deck and then ask people what they think, tweak it, incorporate suggestions, changes, etc. It's another thing to ask people to submit designs and say you may use the whole design and "pay" them with a brick. A brick of playing cards is not payment. This post reads to me like the designer doesn't know what to make, so they're asking for someone to design their deck for them and profit off it without paying the designer. On reddit they told me this is aimed at enthusiasts and not designers. As if other people don't have bills to pay?
I don’t really have any objections to the original post for a few reasons which seem to conflict with a number of your assertions.

It is stated that Edo Huang is designing the deck. They are not asking for design work to be done, only that a sketch or merely a written concept / idea be submitted. This could easily be achieved in a sentence or two that would likely take only minutes to write, so the requested level of participation is minimal at best.

A brick of playing cards is a form payment. This is a concept known as “bartering” which was used extensively in many cultures prior to the introduction of currency and is still used widely even to this day. If they offered compensation in gold or diamonds, would you claim these not to be payments either since they are not cash? If necessary, bills can be paid by selling goods of value, be they playing cards, precious metals, or gemstones, but I doubt anyone submitting an idea for this deck is banking on satisfying urgent bills with their potential compensation.

If anyone feels that a brick of playing cards is insufficient compensation for submitting a concept / idea in the form of a rough sketch or sentence, they are free to decline the offer. It seems like a good deal to me, but everyone is free to decide for themselves. It’s not as if Manticore holds some kind of large or monopolistic position in the world of playing cards which it can use to abuse or compel potential designers to accept its terms, so I’m not really sure what the issue is.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

- Steven Wright

http://www.curatedcards.ca
Harvonsgard

veil wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:50 am I don’t really have any objections to the original post for a few reasons which seem to conflict with ... so I’m not really sure what the issue is.

Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

In a parallel universe, Rackson Jobinson submitted his sketch, won by popular choice, and proceeds to buy the whole brand and rename the deck "Kings Wild Tigers V3 - Mantecore Certificate" :lol:
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
siegismyname

Decknowledgy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:05 am In a parallel universe, Rackson Jobinson submitted his sketch, won by popular choice, and proceeds to buy the whole brand and rename the deck "Kings Wild Tigers V3 - Mantecore Certificate" :lol:
Tigers are such amazing creatures and inspiration.
siegismyname

Winners have been announced on our Instagram page. If you’ve submitted or suggested something, you get a complimentary deck as well. :)

Cheers
Ben
laitostarr777
White Whale: 2019 NPCCD - KWP decks
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by laitostarr777 »

siegismyname wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:37 pm Winners have been announced on our Instagram page. If you’ve submitted or suggested something, you get a complimentary deck as well. :)

Cheers
Ben
What an honor to help provide design ideas~ My time for it has worth it! Thank you!
A furry who has a sona of a magician ;3
My collection - https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/16212/collection
Instagram - @laitostarr777
siegismyname

Re: Mantecore v3 - Mantecoremmunity

Our ace of diamonds and king of spades have been revealed. The plan is to launch it on 1 Feb. The first day of the lunar year of the tiger.

Let me know if you guys have any feedback :)
Attachments
C2EA02FF-9DF6-42E1-805F-125E863BCD1E.jpeg
A26E0C9F-73BB-424B-B10A-D7746710EEBE.jpeg
Harvonsgard

Cool details but I can tell with the minimal customization I'm not the target audience.

hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
siegismyname

hsbc wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:35 pm
You beat me to that. Thank you. Feel free to reach out if you have any comments or questions.
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

siegismyname wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 am You beat me to that. Thank you. Feel free to reach out if you have any comments or questions.
Feel free to update your very first post in this thread as the campaign progresses, etc. :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
EndersGame

Unread post by EndersGame »

Nice to see the Mantecore decks getting the black and orange treatment, well suited to Tigers.

The effect does remind me a little bit of the Hidden King decks from BombMagic, but I think it suits the Mantecore decks well.
--
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame => Playing Card Reviews <=>Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

siegismyname

EndersGame wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 pm Nice to see the Mantecore decks getting the black and orange treatment, well suited to Tigers.

The effect does remind me a little bit of the Hidden King decks from BombMagic, but I think it suits the Mantecore decks well.
The Black and Orange treatment is something I have always wanted to do since the first deck.

I wanted to update that we have passed our goal of $9000 and are just a couple of hundred shy of our first stretch goal. Thank you for those who have backed. If you haven't already supported, we welcome you to take a look at our kickstarter page and take advantage of some of the few remaining limited early bird perks and help us reach our first stretch goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... oremmunity

Cheers
Ben
siegismyname

Hey guys. We are in our final leg of the campaign. It would be great if you can take a look or support if you haven’t. If you have been putting off pledging till the very end, now would be the time to do so. A very big thank you to those who have supported us. I hope to deliver something that we can all be proud of. Cheers.
siegismyname

I am glad to report that fulfillment is almost done and the remainder of the decks are available on Penguin, Cardvolution or your favourite murphy’s dealer.

Links here:

https://linktr.ee/mantecore
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
siegismyname

Oh nice HSBC. How are you liking them?
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

siegismyname wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:29 am Oh nice HSBC. How are you liking them?
I especially like the metallic eyes on the tuck and (of course) the deck with the edge printing :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Way cool! I wish it weren't $50+.
Harvonsgard

What was $5o+? The edge printed deck?