Aton Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
justplaycards
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Requiem Prototype 00
Decks Owned: 250

Aton Playing Cards

Unread post by justplaycards »

Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Re: Aton Playing Cards

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I'll say it. Looks like a Thirdway Industries rip off.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Entaro
White Whale: Delirium Signature Edition

Unread post by Entaro »

Fairly similar to the current minty KS isn't it?
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

A good mixture of both? πŸ˜ƒ
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
justplaycards

Bikefanatic wrote: ↑Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:06 pm I'll say it. Looks like a Thirdway Industries rip off.
Now you have said that. I can see what you mean. But I think it's different enough.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

My first thought was also that this looks like a Gio knock-off, but upon a closer look, I realized that the art is quite different; it's just that is looks similar because it's vector graphics (and the recurring image of the mobius triangle.)

The more I look at this, the more I think it deserves a shot.

I'm taking advantage of the Early Bird for a couple decks, and keep and eye on the campaign as it goes.

Update: I just sent Balthasar a direct message on KS to encourage him to check out the UC. I'd love to hear his take on the project here.

PS: And, while we're at it, look at the project page and just feast your eyes on the way the card backs look in a fan. How can you not love that?
This space intentionally left blank.
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

rousselle wrote: ↑Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 pm My first thought was also that this looks like a Gio knock-off, but upon a closer look, I realized that the art is quite different; it's just that is looks similar because it's vector graphics (and the recurring image of the mobius triangle.)

I'm taking advantage of the Early Bird for a couple decks, and keep and eye on the campaign as it goes.

Update: I just sent Balthasar a direct message on KS to encourage him to check out the UC. I'd love to hear his take on the project here.

PS: And, while we're at it, look at the project page and just feast your eyes on the way the card backs look in a fan. How can you not love that?
This why I backed it. I love the clean vector art.
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Very Gio feel to them. The triangles and the snake on the QoS are probably the biggest recognizable TWI trademarks. The back design definitely distinguishes it more though. I think I'm a pass on this one for now, but wish them luck. It's a lofty funding goal!
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
veil
White Whale: Arabesque Error
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by veil »

I think the timing could have been better for the launch. Gods of Egypt just funded recently and Anubis and Osiris is still ongoing, so it seems like a bad time to release another Egyptian-themed deck. If it doesn't fund, I would think this is a contributing factor.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

- Steven Wright

http://www.curatedcards.ca
macstrat

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I'd be shocked to learn that these weren't at least loosely based on the Dedalo tucks. I agree that there are enough differences not to call them a rip-off but there are also several similarities.

Either way this looks like a solid campaign with a great design.
Epprecht

Unread post by Epprecht »

Hey everyone, I finally made it to the forum... And I'm here to clarify this Gio debate...
rousselle wrote: ↑Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:48 pm My first thought was also that this looks like a Gio knock-off, but upon a closer look, I realized that the art is quite different; it's just that is looks similar because it's vector graphics (and the recurring image of the mobius triangle.)

You're all absolutely right in recognising the similarities to Giovanni's decks. Admittedly, he's been a huge inspiration for this deck. In fact, his were the first custom playing card decks I've ever seen and the inspiration to start designing my own deck. I tried as good as possible to distance myself from his decks and develop a unique look. Still, some elements couldn't be knocked out of my head and stayed more or less similar to some of his ideas.
KingfisherZero wrote: ↑Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:32 am Very Gio feel to them. The triangles and the snake on the QoS are probably the biggest recognizable TWI trademarks. The back design definitely distinguishes it more though. I think I'm a pass on this one for now, but wish them luck. It's a lofty funding goal!
I didn't even realise the similarities of the snake myself until you pointed them out. They really do look very similar.

I hope, this didn't come through the wrong way. I have a huge amount of respect for Giovanni and his art and would never want to fake or undermine his work.

Cheers,
Balthasar

PS: The cards are going to be relaunched with a significantly lower funding goal in about one month. You can already visit the prelaunch page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ep ... n-relaunch
ATON Playing Cards – Egyptian Theme (soon live on Kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ep ... n-relaunch

macstrat

Im in. I am a huge fan of this style of art.
Kage X
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Kage X »

I was in. Looking forward to the relaunch
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Despite my comment above about passing...I ended up hopping on even though the campaign didn't fund. I'll definitely be in for take 2!
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Now relaunched. I'm glad that it seems to fund this time very good design that deserves to be out there, imo. Bad timing for the first try, when Minty emptying wallets, haha.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
justplaycards

Yeah... Back in on this again, was disappointed it didn't get its nose over the line last time.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Tamarisk Edition

P52 β€’ DC β€’ IG β€’ UC β€’ r/ β€’ m/ β€’ 52+J