Anything and everything playing cards!
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

What are those? Vintage Arrcos

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Can anyone give me any further infos on these cards? A friend of mine found them at a thrift shop and gifted them to me since, he knows I collect cards.
They are bridge sized, smooth finish, gold gilding and have standard Arrco faces. Apparently from the time Arrco wasn't part of USPC since the AoS says Chicago.
Card back + gilding + AoS
Card back + gilding + AoS
042E62FF-8A33-4555-B535-B9AC02BBAB81.jpeg (103.25 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
AoS + Jokers
AoS + Jokers
37AECC89-BAF9-457C-AC62-B4D562A87A66.jpeg (104.7 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
tuckbox front
tuckbox front
AE6EA9AA-DFDA-4CF7-A66E-16E3A3F48F4D.jpeg (100.58 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
tuck box back
tuck box back
5379C05F-AF39-436B-B3B9-277D8A5C0CB6.jpeg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: What are those? Vintage Arrcos

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Idk, I think that they are just a deck made by Arrco with no paricular story about them.

Gold gilding is quite nice.

I own two decks of tax stamped Arrcos called "Lexington Club". Quite nice pre-USPCC vintage decks, they were even sealed when I bought them. I opened both of them and I have say that I like on how they feel.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
markzero
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 58

Unread post by markzero »

There was a deck with almost this back (except red bordered) that sold last year on Etsy after listing for $12, and the blurb just says it's from the 50s. It was in much worse shape than yours. Also note, besides the border difference, the complementing box color was green, and yours is green-bordered with red. Searching through an image engine I see True Story magazines from 1953-1959 that have that particular "T," slightly-open "O" and that particular "r," while magazines from the 40s and 60s have different typography. If you were in the USA, I'd suggest stopping in a long-established secondhand bookstore and concentrate on that decade and look for ads for promo giveaways, but since you're not I'll try to remember to check the flagship Half Price Books next time I'm in. With red and green being colors of note, they may have been a Christmas promo set. If you're lucky that might even be from a cover, but I suspect they ran the offer for several months. Anyway, yours is in outstanding shape.

Probably no exciting story about this particular deck, otherwise, but this article has some historical bits of interest about the company itself. And here's the WWPCM entry with matching Arrco faces, if you hadn't checked yet.
relative newbie that loves transformations, vintage, and oddities. stuff on Portfolio52
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Awesome infos. Thanks a lot.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.