Stellar Kingdoms: Original Sci-Fi Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
OVSUB
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Someone to love
Decks Owned: 51

Stellar Kingdoms: Original Sci-Fi Playing Cards

Unread post by OVSUB »

Found this on Kickstarter... Seems expensive but it's my first time catching a new project.

"Stellar Kingdoms is a creative reimagining of the ordinary playing cards in an original Sci-Fi setting. Immerse yourself in the Age of Discovery across the vast reaches of breathtaking space, with daring heroes and formidable villains - the art of Stellar Kingdoms is based on the known tropes of adventure movies, games and novels, and seamlessly blend with the traditional game card style. Welcome to the new world - the world of Stellar Kingdoms!"
Last edited by MagikFingerz on Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Put link into "kickup" tags
Life is fickle...
We live to die or rather we are dying to live.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Stellar Kingdoms: Original Sci-Fi Playing Cards

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the cards, $20/25/30 per deck from a first-time creator is laughable. Not including shipping.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
OVSUB

Unread post by OVSUB »

MagikFingerz wrote:I'm not even going to bother commenting on the cards, $20/25/30 per deck from a first-time creator is laughable. Not including shipping.
Yeah, um I sent you a PM, sorry about editing it after you fixed it I didn't see your edit. Also yeah the deck looks like a 10-15 dollar deck but is listed by the dude for $20+ per deck.
Life is fickle...
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

OVSUB wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:I'm not even going to bother commenting on the cards, $20/25/30 per deck from a first-time creator is laughable. Not including shipping.
Yeah, um I sent you a PM, sorry about editing it after you fixed it I didn't see your edit. Also yeah the deck looks like a 10-15 dollar deck but is listed by the dude for $20+ per deck.
I edited so fast it's no wonder you couldn't see it. I'm basically the John Cena of mods...

- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
kem-collector

Unread post by kem-collector »

Yea, I am all into Sci-Fi and I think the deck actually doesn't look that bad. But I bet he is falling into that same trap that EPC did - wanting MetaLux/Foil/Embossed tucks with foil/MetaLux cards all from USPCC - and they are raking him over the coals on the quote. I bet he could chop off 33% of his cost by going with a USPCC/GW combo.

If you wanted the two-deck set...
Super Early Bird - $38 + $10 shipping = $48
Early Bird = $48 + $10 shipping = $58
Normal = $58 + $10 shipping = $68

I'm kinda a bit known for not caring too much about the price and I am like...."That shit's kinda expensive".
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

I like the looks but stupid expensive ... I'm out
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

After taking a closer look, he's applying Metalux into both front and back of the cards, hence the expense. His designs aren't bad but he should have gotten someone to check this for him b4 launching this. The Metaluxe on both side needs to be hyped at the very start and say that's why it's so expensive instead of only saying it in the comments. Also no mention I could find about what's going to be on the tuck, it's all about the cards.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

Interesting backstory for this deck.
I always liked playing cards. Poker, bridge, blackjack - whatever we play, we always feel the spike of adrenaline - the thrill of walking on the edge with a successful bluff, almost sexual pleasure from a careful calculation paying off… Cards have long
WAIT. WAIT a second there.
almost sexual pleasure from a careful
Wha- How?
sexual pleasure
The term Cardist just took on a whole new meaning. I will not indulge this man's sexual deviancy. I'm out.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Daisho
White Whale: Six Foot Five Green
Decks Owned: 1100

Unread post by Daisho »

I tried to Google a funny image to respond to your post.

Don't do that.
This is me, though I really should update me.
OVSUB

Unread post by OVSUB »

I dunno if I should stay pledged or not. On one hand the design makes me very :drool: ... kinda, not as good as Gio but a different way of doing it, I guess, is what make me like it very much but I think this deck would do much better if it were just with metallic inks instead.
Life is fickle...
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Good design and both sided Metalluxe. Not my cup of tea though. Was both sided Metalluxe done before?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

MagikFingerz wrote:I'm not even going to bother commenting on the cards...
I got you covered:

Hipster creates hideous bullshit and self-justifies its existence with buzzwords and by expounding on his sexual attraction to coated pieces of paper.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

I am hesitantly in for this deck. I will keep my pledge if he shares more details for the tuck box. Based on the renders, it looks like it might be embossed or at least have some raised UV spot ink and foil? And the fact it isn't explicit there are two versions, is a weird omission. Crossing my fingers this creator doesn't crap the bed on this one. The double Metalluxe could be awesome!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

Creator has definitely bought a bunch of ads to market this deck... after one click, this campaign is now showing on Facebook and Instagram feed as Kickstarter sponsored ads...

No for me, there's a very odd ego in there somewhere.
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
kem-collector

I'm honestly somewhat surprised it hit its goal with how expensive the decks are. I mean I want to, but I am trying to practice good purchasing.
akicer
White Whale: Encarded 2020 Patreon deck
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by akicer »

this guy did a much better job in making videos
https://portfolio52.com/profile/2276/tradelist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Harvonsgard wrote:Good design and both sided Metalluxe. Not my cup of tea though. Was both sided Metalluxe done before?
Yes, the Royal Bee Premium Back No 168 deck was the first deck with Metalluxe on both sides. ;)
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
kem-collector

Also, I had to read the entire page and then go into the comments to finally discover there are actually two decks. A silver one and a gold one. I finally watched the video and the very end of it shows the two decks...but all the pictures on KS just show the silver deck - and no mention of silver/gold in the tiers. I just get a bad feeling about this one, although I love the art genre.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

kem-collector wrote:I'm honestly somewhat surprised it hit its goal with how expensive the decks are. I mean I want to, but I am trying to practice good purchasing.
Promoted by Jellop. That's why. But they'll take ~30% :lol:
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

shermjack wrote:Yes, the Royal Bee Premium Back No 168 deck was the first deck with Metalluxe on both sides. ;)
Wow, thanks for that info! :shock: I have two of'em and always were thinking about thinning them out of my collection. I guess I'll keep'em now :D .
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
OVSUB

Unread post by OVSUB »

Tuck Boxes: The tuck box is matte black, with metallic details on top that can be either gold or silver - they're done by hot foiling. Thanks, let me know if you have more questions!

I 'm going to stay for a few more days but I'll be dropping.
Really feels like all hype and no reward for this deck is my reasoning.
Life is fickle...
BaconWise

I want to love this deck so much, but the lack of communication and the vague responses are huge warning flags for me. I am a bit surprised he has almost 400 backers who are fine with limited information. Here are my concerns:

- In his comments he says the deck will have Metalluxe printing on both sides. Why doesn't it state that in the campaign details?
- There are two versions of the deck (silver & gold) - why aren't they both CLEARLY highlighted in the campaign?
- The campaign video implies some kind of raised ink or some kind of embossing on the tuck cases. In the render, it clearly shows shadow relief from some kind of raised element yet he will not respond as to whether the tuck case has UV ink or embossing - only that it is matte stock with gold foil. That leads me to believe the tuck case will be flat, which does not match the render video. I would expect either UV ink or embossing for the price of this deck.
- This was brought up in the comments and in this thread, but why is shipping $5 for a deck, then $5 for each subsequent deck? It doesn't cost $10 to ship two decks. It certainly doesn't cost $25 to ship five!

The intentional vagueness of this campaign leads me to think he is setting backers up for disappointment. Maybe he isn't explicitly stating the details in the actual campaign because he intends to fulfill only part of the expected features. Call me cynical, but I would not be surprised if backers get an update a month after the campaign ends, saying "Oops, we can't print on both sides with Metalluxe. They misquoted me! Also, we can only do one deck version now. They misquoted me!"

Perhaps it will work out fine and the deck will turn out as good as the clever renders. I just don't like the vague approach.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

OVSUB

Unread post by OVSUB »

Reason I'm dropping.
Life is fickle...
kem-collector

Reason I never backed.
Magistrate1500

Unread post by Magistrate1500 »

BaconWise wrote:I want to love this deck so much, but the lack of communication and the vague responses are huge warning flags for me. I am a bit surprised he has almost 400 backers who are fine with limited information. Here are my concerns:

- In his comments he says the deck will have Metalluxe printing on both sides. Why doesn't it state that in the campaign details?
- There are two versions of the deck (silver & gold) - why aren't they both CLEARLY highlighted in the campaign?
- The campaign video implies some kind of raised ink or some kind of embossing on the tuck cases. In the render, it clearly shows shadow relief from some kind of raised element yet he will not respond as to whether the tuck case has UV ink or embossing - only that it is matte stock with gold foil. That leads me to believe the tuck case will be flat, which does not match the render video. I would expect either UV ink or embossing for the price of this deck.
- This was brought up in the comments and in this thread, but why is shipping $5 for a deck, then $5 for each subsequent deck? It doesn't cost $10 to ship two decks. It certainly doesn't cost $25 to ship five!

The intentional vagueness of this campaign leads me to think he is setting backers up for disappointment. Maybe he isn't explicitly stating the details in the actual campaign because he intends to fulfill only part of the expected features. Call me cynical, but I would not be surprised if backers get an update a month after the campaign ends, saying "Oops, we can't print on both sides with Metalluxe. They misquoted me! Also, we can only do one deck version now. They misquoted me!"

Perhaps it will work out fine and the deck will turn out as good as the clever renders. I just don't like the vague approach.
In addition to your concerns, he has not responded to any of my PMs. I'm also cautious with first time creators with zero backed projects. On top of that there doesn't appear to be any actual photos of the cards, they are just renders. Prototypes aren't that expensive and look much better. Although a prototype that mimics metallux may be impractical. Campaigns with a low funding goal and USPCC printing is also a red flag. I'm glad he has blown through his goal but you can't do a minimum print run with USPCC, Metallux and all the bells and whistles for $5000. You are easily pushing $9000 for what he wants to do.

Don't get me wrong. I hope he comes through a puts out an awesome deck. But there is more than one significant red flag.
theCapraAegagrus wrote: "I'll give you this: It does not suck."
BaconWise

New update from creator shows he is considering Cartamundi so they can do gilded edges. There is no mention in the campaign of gilding and this would mean no Metalluxe foil, either. More red flags. Just wanted to update in case anyone here is backing. Somehow this project has over 600 backers who are in for a wild ride
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Jocu »

Surely this now having 1000-odd backers can not solely be down to Jellop? Facebook ads have never worked for me and I refuse to piss any more money away on them. I imagine they must triple-down on it for a big backer return but at what cost?
OVSUB

Unread post by OVSUB »

Reason I dropped my super early bird. Creator seems ambitious but very unreliable.
Life is fickle...
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

The ads for this campaign is popping up everywhere on my social media pages. Sketchy af.
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

Jocu wrote:Surely this now having 1000-odd backers can not solely be down to Jellop? Facebook ads have never worked for me and I refuse to piss any more money away on them. I imagine they must triple-down on it for a big backer return but at what cost?
I have been researching Jellop and seems like their ads do work and though I have not been able to make ads work but there are a few folks who swear by Jellop and their high precision targeted advertising. I don't have any the answer yet on how they do it but looks like they have got propreitary software that does the magic.