Italia Divina by Thirdway Industries (Kickstarter)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes

Italia Divina by Thirdway Industries (Kickstarter)

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Hello UC, happy new year!

I've just shared my next project on Modern Idols Kickstarter and I thought to post here as well.

The name is "Italia Divina" and the main theme is my beautiful country, Italy.

One of the main features of the decks is that pips include a secret or a hint about Italy. You can use the cards for learn about hidden places, or even for planning a vacation.
I've visited some of those places and I can assure they're incredible, of course (apart design cards I love travel fyi)
pips.jpg
In the best tradition of Thirdway Industries decks, there are Goddesses&Pretty Ladies in those decks as well. Every court is a famous italian city, personified. The courts will be all different, so we're talking about 24 different cities of Italy (there are one for each region, plus some extras). Here is one of my fav courts (and probably the easiest one to guess):
divina.jpg
For now I've revealed Italia Radiosa and Italia Segreta, but at this point everyone knows that there will be a limited edition :twisted:
render_boxes_blackgold.jpg
Printer will be USPCC or Cartamundi, not decided yet. Maybe even both :-)

My plan is launch this after Modern Idols, so probably end of February/early March.
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caniveski
Player: Yes
White Whale: Bicycle Burton
Decks Owned: 800

Re: Italia Divina by Thirdway Industries (Kickstarter)

Unread post by caniveski »

Looks really good and I am a fan of this style : )
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Great work as always, backing as always :D
CommentNameHere

Unread post by CommentNameHere »

Absolutely love the idea and the lovely art. I feel like the tucks aren't up to you level of design quality to be honest. They seem a bit basic for such a rich source of inspiration. It could just be the text?
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I will be backing if course! I too wish the tuck design could be spruced up a bit.

I am thinking the 3rd deck will be white and have one of Gio's ladies on it.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

As a general rule, I tend not to favor decks that have writing on them unless there is a particular use (as a writer's prompt, for example), although these are totally keeping in line with some souvenir decks I've picked up along the way. Imagine my surprise when I had those two cards translated, however:

10 of Diamonds: Inconceivable / you keep using that word / I do not think it means what you think it means

7 of Clubs: Visit the park, you'll see bodacious ta-tas.

Clearly, I need to know more!
This space intentionally left blank.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello guys! Thank you for the feedback, as always much appreciated.

The two boxes shown are the unlimited ones, and they're made to work together with the limited (that will be white, yes).
I think the final product will be better than the rendering, gold on red and green seems a lot less shinier than it will be. However, I'll think about the boxes more to see if I can improve them further.

Those are the backs:
card_back.jpg
@Allan - yes, I usually don't like text on cards too - but this time I think it's a great feature, and I've tried to integrate it nicely into the pips.
I am thinking to write in English the tips, to make them more easy to read. However, they should be easy to find, they're all places (just google the names).

Il "Gigante dell'Appennino al Parco di Pratolino" is a majestic statue of a Giant in a park near Florence. You can chek him here > https://tinyurl.com/rlq264o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Il "Parco di Mostri" di Bomarzo is a crazy place near Viterbo (Center Italy, relatively near to Rome) full of statues of Monsters and Mythological Creatures. It inspired me a lot. Here is it > https://tinyurl.com/w8df5mf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both of those are not typical destinations when people visit Italy - many italians don't know about those either (I've stumbled into both in the last years).

Thank you for the feedback!
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Looks nice so far. I'm intrigued for now but not convinced yet.
The tucks (with the limited one) forming the Italian flag is a nice feature. I personally would wish for three different card backs though. Another thing would be that I like the character to be the main focus on the court cards. I totally understand the choice made for the theme, but for me it would be still better if the buildings would be a little more subtle in the background. Just my two cents. Best of success with your campaign Gio.

Since nobody mentioned it yet, the KoH represents Roma... did I win something? :ugdance:
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Thirdway Industries wrote:I am thinking to write in English the tips, to make them more easy to read.
No no no no! :o Keep it in Italian :D

I would appreciate translations though :uggrin:
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
STLBluesNut

Yeah, I think the tips in Italian fit a bit more as the whole theme revolves around Italy.

Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

+1 for Italian.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Harvonsgard - Backs may have minor differences, but I prefer keep the unlimited ones very similar for made them good for play games with two decks (extremely popular in Italy).
The limited one may be different.

About the buildings, I understand what you're saying. I'll tell a little background, I hope it will be interesting.
My first idea was that the Goddesses should have just the "spirit" of the city, avoiding explicit elements like buildings.

However, I've realized after the first two cities I've sketched, that was almost impossible: only the main cities could have been portrayed with few elements and be recognizable, so I've started adding buildings.
Anyways, even with the architecture, recognize some cities will be really difficult, even for an italian :uggrin:

Rome was super-easy :uggrin: If someone could catch all the cities without help I would be really impressed, anyways.
I am thinking to add an explanation card in every deck with the names of the 12 cities included.

About Italian, thank you for the feedback, guys - very useful.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Wow, really impressed with this deck. You're showing great breadth in the many diverse themes since Betrayers. I'm really loving this deck as it'll actually be helpful for us when we visit Italy. Great that you're pointing out all the things that are off the usual tourists destinations.

yes, please do include a translation card in English while keeping the words in Italian.

So in keeping with the 2019 trend, we can expect stretch goal of a special limited 3rd deck in white holo foil and holo gilding to complete the Italian flag, yes? :ugthink:
(my sincere apologies if I actually spoiled it! Pls don't make it too expensive. :? :lol: :D )
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Eric - thank you for the kind words!

I can't translate the cards "directly" if I write in italian (I prefer avoid too much text on the cards) but I promise they'll be easy to use either way.
Basically all "secrets" will be places, so you should just put the words in Google search or even Google Maps to see the pics and the address.

Yes, there will be a white limited edition :-) MAYBE White + Silver (no holofoil this time).
It will be more expensive than the other two decks, but reasonable: I prefer keep Kickstarter prices affordable for everyone.
Prices probably similar to my other "trident based campaigns" (like Odissea or Betrayers).
STLBluesNut

This deck would be great with a book with the art from each court with the translation and perhaps a map even with the locations marked or with a sheet of stickers to mark them as one discovers them.

For the 3rd deck in white, perhaps red and green foil would look nice with the design to stay in line with the Italian color scheme. Cold foil on the backs too [emoji6].

Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

STLBluesNut wrote:This deck would be great with a book with the art from each court with the translation and perhaps a map even with the locations marked or with a sheet of stickers to mark them as one discovers them.
Ooo… excellent idea. That would make a great addon for those of us who love travel or discovering new things. The map can be part of the booklet. Perhaps the center so that it can be bigger without being a separate.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Easy pass for me.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I like almost everything about this except the titles on the tucks. Something about them just doesn't vibe with me. Maybe it's the font, maybe it's the placement, maybe it's the way it blends into the rest of the tuck front (not in a good way). Either way, especially as an Italian American, I will be keeping my eye on this.
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hello UC!

I have (hopefully) good news on Italia Divina.

I've revised the tuckboxes (@Vasta - I was uncertain about the font as well, and I've changed it. Thanks for the feedback!). As almost everyone imagined, there will be a white/silver limited edition, and I'm showing it here as well.
immagine_mazzi.jpg
The backs of Segreta and Radiosa are similar (designed this way to play 2-decks games, very popular in Italy). Italia Divina's back is full bleed silver. I know what you guys are thinking: Metalluxe or Foil on back will be a stretch goal (if not reached, Pure Silver Ink instead).
spiegazione_italia_back.jpg
The courts will be completely different:
courts_italia.jpg
I am waiting some confirmations about Eva and Idols before launching this campaign, my idea is end of February. Stay tuned for the date, but meanwile you can bookmark the project page
>>>>> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... over-italy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ciao a tutti :uggrin:

Gio
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Thirdway Industries wrote:I've revised the tuckboxes (@Vasta - I was uncertain about the font as well, and I've changed it. Thanks for the feedback!).
This might be the first time any one of my stupid suggestions actually caused a redesign! I may be bias but I think the tucks look MUCH better now. I'll be there on launch!

Thanks, Gio!
The_9ofDiamonds

Unread post by The_9ofDiamonds »

Great!! Long live Italy! I launched my deck three days ago and there is still a little money left but I will try to help!
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

vasta41 wrote:
Thirdway Industries wrote:I've revised the tuckboxes (@Vasta - I was uncertain about the font as well, and I've changed it. Thanks for the feedback!).
This might be the first time any one of my stupid suggestions actually caused a redesign! I may be bias but I think the tucks look MUCH better now. I'll be there on launch!

Thanks, Gio!
That was not stupid at all, I was not sure about that choice: last font was too old/classical, this new one is more soft and probably more fitted for the theme.

@The_9ofDiamonds - I saw on your Kickstarter that you live in Acqui Terme, and I should have a great news for you:
One of the number cards include "La Bollente" of Acqui, which is one of my favourite fountains in Italy.
crixmas

Unread post by crixmas »

I can't wait to have these decks of cards in my hands
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/magiccardsplaying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpBtfb ... subscriber" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Collection
https://portfolio52.com/profile/19805/collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My WhisList
https://portfolio52.com/profile/19805/wishlist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Kickstarter date

Monday, 17th of February 2020 at 21:00 UTC

Milan CET 22 | New York 16:00 EST | Los Angeles 13:00 PST 
Moscow MSK 18/2 00:00 - Singapore SGT18/2 05:00 - Tokyo JST 18/2 06:00 - Sydney AEDT 18/2 08:00

As always, some EB on various categories :uggrin:

Subscribe the preview page if you wish an insta-notification >> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... over-italy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a preview of the LE
divina_LE_mail.jpg
divina_LE_mail.jpg (116.86 KiB) Viewed 9209 times
A limited card (that represent the city of Urbino)
urbinodivina.jpg
And a pic that show the courts differences
courts_italia_mail.jpg
courts_italia_mail.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 9209 times
I hope you'll like it!
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Silly suggestion and probably too late but have you thought about changing the font of cards to match the new font of tuck?
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

vasta41 wrote:Silly suggestion and probably too late but have you thought about changing the font of cards to match the new font of tuck?
+1 - I think it could improve the overall look even more. Not silly at all
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
chicken_ql

Unread post by chicken_ql »

I love the silver and white contrast :O. Would be crazy amazing if this was cold foil too
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

@Vasta - I am evaluating it, But I think both the "old" and the new fonts are good :-)

@Chicken_ql - I'm evaluating this too, but it will be hard. I am more oriented toward USPCC for the whole project for many reasons, so the only foil option available is Metalluxe on back (which will be a stretch goal). However, Cartamundi is also sending me a quote, let's see :)
chicken_ql

Unread post by chicken_ql »

I wouldn't mind paying more for the foiling O_O. Silver ink is nice but it's not cold foil
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Very excited for these!