ARW Playing Cards V1 by Luke Wadey

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

ARW Playing Cards V1 by Luke Wadey

Unread post by Luke Wadey »

Heya folks!

Dropping a little warm up topic on here to give you all the heads up that my next project will be launching on the 11th December on Kickstarter at 7pm GMT.

The deck originally started as a bold cardistry deck using only a single large arrow on each card for directional usage. However, for reasons I have previously spoken about, I decided to evolve and develop the style of the deck to take more of a directional signage theme! Combining traditional design with my own spins and typography, this arrow themed deck is fully custom and whilst won't be to everyone's tastes, I am hoping for a successful Kickstarter so this unique deck can be made! The pips, courts and card back use a combination of large and small arrows to embrace the theme, even the typography on the card back creates an arrow style effect with the corners of the W during fans. I always try to do something a little different, so here's a few pieces for you to see what is to come! I welcome all positive and negative feedback so feel free to comment below on your first thoughts.

Thanks everyone and all the best!

Luke

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5i7Z6Bnyoq/
Attachments
thumbnail_again6.png
again8.jpg
ARW.png
thumbnail_again15.png
Decknowledgy
Collector: Yes

Re: ARW Playing Cards V1 by Luke Wadey

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

I gotta say there's no shortage of quirky in your designs, Luke!!
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

First thought - "If you haven't say something nice, be quiet."

Second thoughts: Despite being very interested in typography, your decks were never really to my personal taste, but I definetly saw some typographic craftmanship and thought in your previous releases. While I love designer going into different direction, I would consider this deck as a step back and a lot weaker than your other releases.
The tuck box is the worst part for me personally. While a matte stock and embossing - due to its haptic features - could elevate the tuck box, it would still lack everything for me. Fond sizes are wrong imo and the fond itself is awefully boring. Slightly customized standard courts don't help to sell this deck to me either. I would put this on a priority list way behind the recent Nihilism deck, which I was thinking about to get but scraped of my maybe list pretty quick.
On a positive note, the back is somewhat captivating for fans, but that is about it, imo.

Thanks for sharing it though and interacting with us here.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Jocu
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Jocu »

As someone who regrets launching around Thanksgiving, I would be super hesitant to launch in December so near to Christmas.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Really don’t care for the back design at all. I also dislike that you are already calling it a V1. Basically means we know there will be more variants and for us International backers it means getting hit with shipping charges over and over again.

Quite an easy pass for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Jocu wrote:As someone who regrets launching around Black Friday, I would be super hesitant to launch in December so near to Christmas.
Fixed that for ya...
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey guys! Thanks for the initial feedback and as my suspicions expected, it was never going to be to everyone’s taste. All valid personal opinion points made so never gonna take that away from anyone.

As a kind of summary of my responses to the initial comments, the deck uses this typeface and style of typography so that it relates to its influence in the subway signage and Swiss design crossover. The Grotesk font does appear boring to some, but it’s readability and simplicity that make it so effective in the previous mentioned designs, which is why I’ve opted to use it here. I could have chosen to go for a fully standard card faces, but wanted to ensure the use of arrows ran through without being too abstract, the pips as well carrying the theme.

Launching this time of year is also a risk and it’s not something I’ve ignored, but I’m happy to still launch and try as I want to get them potentially made as close to the start of 2020 as possible. If I don’t get funded, as I never expect to get funded on any project - I just hope for it - I will ofcourse look to relaunch in the new year with potential changes - who knows, I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

Anyway! Thanks again guys, I hope I have even a little bit of insight to some of the decisions, and full rationale will be available on the upcoming campaign.

Cheers!
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Hmmm, see this above Bill and Emily? This is how to graciously take criticism while still sticking to your guns.

Sent from my S10+ using Tapatalk
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

STLBluesNut wrote:Hmmm, see this above Bill and Emily? This is how to graciously take criticism while still sticking to your guns.

Bill perceives this as a personal attack and is seeking legal advice from Madison as we speak. He will now post a KS update to attack your online persona's character.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I'm always in for a new deck from Luke and it's in large part because he's a good dude :D I personally like this design so that's a bonus :uggrin:

Will there be a Limited Edition again? :D
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote:I'm always in for a new deck from Luke and it's in large part because he's a good dude :D I personally like this design so that's a bonus :uggrin:

Thank you so much! I am super glad to hear it and appreciate the support as always :) Also super glad you like the deck haha
Limited Edition will be available too! I am going to posting details of this at the weekend so stay tuned particularly to my instagram and previous Kickstarter updates :)
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

hsbc wrote:I'm always in for a new deck from Luke and it's in large part because he's a good dude :D I personally like this design so that's a bonus :uggrin:

Me, too. Plus my Luke Wadey collection is the only one I've not had to play catch-up with!
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Timmargh wrote:

Me, too. Plus my Luke Wadey collection is the only one I've not had to play catch-up with!

Thanks so much Tim! Giving real meaning to number 1 backer!
Timmargh

Now live.

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

This whole style is absolutely lost on me. $11 is too much for no metallics, no foils, plain glossy tuck deck. Luke seems to have some fans somehow for his decks so I'm sure they will sell. I don't get it. That's about as nice as I can put it for this design.

oddsmaker003
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by oddsmaker003 »

Good thing commentary is rarely in line with sales or else Luke would be in trouble. I'll go out on a limb here and say Luke knows his base so he is likely to fund. Giving 10/1 for anyone who wants to take that bet.
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

In terms of cardistry, this is definitely a refreshing design
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
Magic_Orthodoxy
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

There have been several of these typography decks, but I think out of all of them - LUKE's are the best
c'mon backers - let's make this deck happen !!!! (so close)

:: crossing fingers :::
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Magic_Orthodoxy wrote:There have been several of these typography decks, but I think out of all of them - LUKE's are the best
c'mon backers - let's make this deck happen !!!! (so close)

Thank you so much! Let’s make this happen people :) thank you for all your support!

:: crossing fingers :::
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

Full Deck Scan - https://www.flickr.com/photos/167981955 ... 3927853153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a designer myself, I love getting LW's decks. They are always very refreshing to see boundaries pushed. Interesting note: the 10H arrows appear to be facing in the wrong direction.
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

macstrat wrote:Full Deck Scan - https://www.flickr.com/photos/167981955 ... 3927853153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As a designer myself, I love getting LW's decks. They are always very refreshing to see boundaries pushed. Interesting note: the 10H arrows appear to be facing in the wrong direction.
Hey thanks for the feature dude! Interestingly, the pips were all the right way up but I had moved the central descriptor to the opposite edge, but yes, it does also read as if they are upside when rotated like you say. I did then send the file to print as you have scanned it though so you have the correct orientation :) This is a pretty big Easter egg and I’m glad you picked up on it as I’ve started dropping them in the past. Glad you like the deck!!! Thanks for supporting and all the best :)
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Not sure how long it's been up for sale but there's a Black Market Cards (D&D?) version, ARW x BMD

Our first official collaboration features a limited edition rebox of ARW playing cards, designed by Luke Wadey in the UK. This new tuck box features a thick card stock with a blind deboss, red foil, and a die-cut window to display the minimal back design.

Limited Edition of 288.
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J
56inCello
White Whale: Mono - X LE
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by 56inCello »

Yeah I believe it was posted when they updated for Black Friday!
I wish there had of been more red foil on the front.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Overrun decks of 288.
Fixed the ad copy
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Timmargh

I was looking to get one of these last night but the postage is ridiculous.
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hi guys, firstly, thanks for the share and support on these!

I’d like to add though that I had no idea when they would be released, price or price of postage. If I could have any influence on that, I would do, but it’s entirely on BMD terms which is fair enough as it’s technically their release.

I also haven’t seen the tucks in person yet, but I hope whoever does get one, enjoys them!

Oh, and no, they are not over runs.

All the best.
Timmargh

Luke Wadey wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:13 pm [...]

I’d like to add though that I had no idea when they would be released, price or price of postage. If I could have any influence on that, I would do, but it’s entirely on BMD terms which is fair enough as it’s technically their release.
I knew that, mate; I've looked at buying from them before but their cheapest postage to the UK is $25.

Assuming that they're the same cards as the original ARW deck then I can bear to miss these.
Luke Wadey
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Timmargh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:10 pm

I knew that, mate; I've looked at buying from them before but their cheapest postage to the UK is $25.

Assuming that they're the same cards as the original ARW deck then I can bear to miss these.
100% buddy, i totally get ya! I really don’t understand where that figure even comes from! I hope someday they can be available for accessible prices
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Luke Wadey wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:27 pm
Timmargh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:10 pm

100% buddy, i totally get ya! I really don’t understand where that figure even comes from! I hope someday they can be available for accessible prices
The minimum to ship a deck via USPS (under 8 oz) is 14US and then it jumps to 24US for 9-15oz before requiring you to us Priority Mail (1lb or more), which starts at around 36. International shipping is just getting ridiculous not matter where you are, especially with the pandemic.

I assume that BMD is just like AOP and just charges more for shipping to pad their bottom line. :?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
hsbc

Unread post by hsbc »

Luke Wadey wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:13 pm I also haven’t seen the tucks in person yet
They didn't give you at least one?? :?
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J