Seeking help with info. on playing card practices

If you have questions about, or submissions for, the Knowledge Base post them here.
JackBrutusPenny
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Seeking help with info. on playing card practices

Unread post by JackBrutusPenny »

Dear All,

(mods - If this is not the best location for this post then please do redirect it)

So whilst the Culturae Animalis cards are in print proofing and readying for the full print run - I am throwing ideas around for the next creative art deck. I suspect it may take a year or so, but I have a question that I need help in answering and now that I've gotten more involved here and hope to continue to be, this community is perhaps best equipped to provide the help.

As with Culturae Animalis - I want to create a gorgeous art deck that surprises and continues to do so in its intricate designs. The first installment saw features such as the court cards creating one panoramic scene. In order to push the creativity and ideas, I need to gather some information.

1 - What is the average number of cards one holds at one time in a card game? (This could mean the total number of cards one holds in one hand taking the average of all common games, or it could add the weight of the commonality of the games being played also. I'm leaning towards a number around 7 for various reasons, which I needn't get into here, but if you have more factual support, evidence or incite, then it would be appreciated).

2 - Assuming the said number of cards in hand (approximately 7) - what is the average angle at which you hold the cards? I'm trying to work out a comfortable fan position for cards while in use in game?

3 - Likewise, when fully fanning the back of the cards in cardistry, what is the ideal angle/amount of each card that is visible?

4 - When playing, do you hold a hand in your left or right hand? And how do you sequence cards from left to right? (I am an avid yet casual player of many games. I am right handed. I hold the hand in my left hand and drawn using my right. I order the cards in ascending order left to right, so that if I am playing rummy, I would order them, 4-4-4-9-10-J-Q, for instance. I need to know if this is typical or atypical).

For all of these questions I understand many will have their own preferences, so what I am hoping to gather is less that and more any statistic. Somehow learning what the most common/average is, or say, what is standard practice for professional cards players.

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Jack Brutus Penny, nonsense writer and illustrator, creator of Culturae Animalis
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: Seeking help with info. on playing card practices

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Average number is very hard to tell. Since I don't have hard facts I'll not just put a guess out there.
Hand is similar to you (right handed aswell); I hold the cards in the left hand and draw with the right. Lefties I know do it the opposite way.
When I hold my cards I spread them in an angle that the pip and indices are clearly and full visible, therefore the angle for me depends on the size of the pips/indices.
When playing I never order my cards (drives some folks crazy when we play games where hands are passed on to other players :D ), since opponents could assume the hand by looking at the cards you draw and there position in your hand.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JackBrutusPenny
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Harvonsgard wrote:Average number is very hard to tell. Since I don't have hard facts I'll not just put a guess out there.
Hand is similar to you (right handed aswell); I hold the cards in the left hand and draw with the right. Lefties I know do it the opposite way.
When I hold my cards I spread them in an angle that the pip and indices are clearly and full visible, therefore the angle for me depends on the size of the pips/indices.
When playing I never order my cards (drives some folks crazy when we play games where hands are passed on to other players :D ), since opponents could assume the hand by looking at the cards you draw and there position in your hand.
Thank you for the confirmation, it's useful. I know what you mean about not ordering cards - though I can't play games without doing it because my eyes can't accept the disorganisation. ;)
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Regarding the number of cards in your hand:

Impossible to determine an accurate average without knowing how often people play which games during any given time period, but typically five cards is used as the representative example when you're looking at generic images. I believe this is almost certainly because of the popularity of five-card variations of poker being the most popular card game for a time in the iconic Wild West period of American expansion in the second half of the 1800's and early 1900's.
This space intentionally left blank.
JackBrutusPenny
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

rousselle wrote:Regarding the number of cards in your hand:

Impossible to determine an accurate average without knowing how often people play which games during any given time period, but typically five cards is used as the representative example when you're looking at generic images. I believe this is almost certainly because of the popularity of five-card variations of poker being the most popular card game for a time in the iconic Wild West period of American expansion in the second half of the 1800's and early 1900's.
Yeah, I wonder if this is also cultural. Most games I am familiar with playing have 11/13 cards in a hand. I rarely (and I don't know if I represent a typical Brit) play poker/pontoon/other gambling games, but usually variants of bridge/whist/alike games.