Culturae Animalis

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Culturae Animalis

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Kind of crazy, kind of whimsical :D and beautiful. Always check the campaign for updates, since the creator is pretty active and always asking for and listening to feedback from the community! Therefore get involved and blast those strech goals! :D
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
brownsl
Collector: Yes
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Re: Culturae Animalis

Unread post by brownsl »

He definitely has a sense of humor. From a high-level pledge,

One (1) Cultural Experiment
- I will repeat a word of your choice every day to my 10-month-old son, in any language, unbeknownst to my wife, until he says his first words. Assuming three gloriously dastardly backers, we can then all revel in the scene of my wife hearing 'cabbage', 'poopsickle' and 'lily-liver’d' before he says 'mummy'. I will keep you informed and post the results on social media. (No obscene words or racial or sexual slur. I won't teach my son to belittle others for any amount of money, not unless it's also adorable).
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

I'm most likely jumping on this.
Last time I passed on the Mirage Deck and regretted right after seeing people posting its artwork. I'm pretty sure this is that kind of deck that I would regret when I don't have it when it's produced.

How cool is it that all court cards form a full portrait in their own suits?

Card back:

Edit: Adding in the Kicktraq info
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€-- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

β™  ♦ β€»Portfolio 52β€» β™₯ ♣
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

The art on these cards is absolutely superb. I love the triptych effect of the court cards, especially. Having the index so far in will impact playability but it's not an issue considering this is an art deck.
The only thing keeping me from backing is the price ($26 USD, shipped). I hope this funds and makes it across the pond. Along with the Zoo 52 deck, this is a good time to be an animal lover and a card collector!

Also, should the creator have this under "Playing Cards" or will there be enough exposure under the current "Illustration" category?
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by JackBrutusPenny »

Hello all, Decknowledgy kindly showed me this discussion and I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Jack Brutus Penny, the creator of this art deck. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I will try to address them here (though you'll absolutely get a response if you contact on any of my networks directly).

A simple, general reply to comments so far - Thank you. This deck took about 6.5 months to illustrate and I'm glad it seems the passion and detail is appreciated. Especially that the panorama court cards have been noticed - I was very proud of that design element. Of course not every project is for everyone, but the printer PrintNinja seems to be reliable and of good quality, I have been in close contact with them, and I personally like working with smaller companies on a more personal level. I also understand the price isn't for everyone, all I can say is I think it reflects the dedication put into the project, and I think that will be visible in the printed deck.
Decknowledgy

Hi Jack!! Happy that you've come to drop a comment and engage the community!
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€-- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)

Decknowledgy

Jack, do you have the specs about the stock and finish that Print Ninja would use on this deck? I've been receiving some inquiries in my dms asking me if I know if Print Ninja is good or not, but frankly, I don't mind but it would be nice to see what stock, paper, and finish will be used for this deck :D
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)

JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Decknowledgy wrote:Jack, do you have the specs about the stock and finish that Print Ninja would use on this deck? I've been receiving some inquiries in my dms asking me if I know if Print Ninja is good or not, but frankly, I don't mind but it would be nice to see what stock, paper, and finish will be used for this deck :D
Sure, the specs I have on the campaign page - Black core 330 gsm heavy paper with linen texture (to reduce surface contact for an easier shuffle), with a gloss finish and gold gild edges (100% paper, 85% recycled, and ink derived from soy beans).

If there is any further information I can provide let me know anytime!
Decknowledgy

Wait, gold-gilded edges?! I missed that on the campaign :o
Now that completes the art deck vibe!

I think this needs more attention since the artwork is fantastically done as a reminiscent of historical artwork from different cultures. Also the incorporation of the animals heads is just perfection.

Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)

Harvonsgard

Some updates/drafts/mock-ups about the tuck box?
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗π”₯𝔒 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬π”ͺπ”žπ”«π” π”’π”― by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: ↑Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

BaconWise wrote:The art on these cards is absolutely superb. I love the triptych effect of the court cards, especially. Having the index so far in will impact playability but it's not an issue considering this is an art deck.
The only thing keeping me from backing is the price ($26 USD, shipped). I hope this funds and makes it across the pond. Along with the Zoo 52 deck, this is a good time to be an animal lover and a card collector!

Also, should the creator have this under "Playing Cards" or will there be enough exposure under the current "Illustration" category?
Thank you for the advice on the category - it has been amended to hopefully bring more attention.
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

shiroo56 wrote:Some updates/drafts/mock-ups about the tuck box?
Yes, I'll post them in the next few days in the updates - thank you!
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

shiroo56 wrote:Some updates/drafts/mock-ups about the tuck box?
Hey Shiroo, some tuck box mocks up in the recent posted update - and involving you guys so that you can play a part in the creative decisions also.
Harvonsgard

Smart move to make me go the the kickstarter page to see the mock-ups ;) . I still can't believe that they aren't funded yet.
For the tucck boxes; first glance - I prefer option B, but would have wished overall for something more different from the back design - just my 2 pennies.

JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

shiroo56 wrote:Smart move to make me go the the kickstarter page to see the mock-ups ;) . I still can't believe that they aren't funded yet.
For the tucck boxes; first glance - I prefer option B, but would have wished overall for something more different from the back design - just my 2 pennies.
Ha, you know - I actually tried to post them here but the file size was too big. But yeah, I hope you enjoyed the exploration of the campaign page ;)
Thank you for the kind comment about it not being funded yet - I'm trying to reach out to possibly interested parties, and though I have huge belief in my work, I am finding it a little hard to reach out to the right communities. (Thank you for your tuppence - I also wanted a different feeling - but to keep the pattering from the same piece I had designed to keep the consistency and feeling (there is quite a lot of thought and deep meaning behind the design of the back), so in the end it will feel like the outside is daytime, or an open thicket in the forest, whereas the inside is a deeper darker grove of hidden wonders).
Harvonsgard

Where it says "text here" on the side, is it just brighter because of a text box template or will the box be actually have a brighter back ground there?

JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

shiroo56 wrote:Image

Where it says "text here" on the side, is it just brighter because of a text box template or will the box be actually have a brighter back ground there?
Thank you for the question - it's not brighter - it's actually faded in opacity and that does not reflect my plan for the final product, that was simply to show that that section hasn't been rendered yet. I will add the relevant text there and currently intend to incorporate the darker blue pattern used on the side around the text.
BaconWise
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

Okay, DAMMIT, I am in. It took me a while to realize this art deck is worth the $26 price tag. Gilded edges and that beautiful tuck box are fantastic features for this already incredible artwork. I don't want to wait to see if it will be available in the secondary market. I'm getting in on the ground floor, Jack. My kids are going to love the novelty and I have a feeling this will be one of my most highly-cherished decks. Looking forward to seeing this reach its funding goal!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

BaconWise wrote:Okay, DAMMIT, I am in. It took me a while to realize this art deck is worth the $26 price tag. Gilded edges and that beautiful tuck box are fantastic features for this already incredible artwork. I don't want to wait to see if it will be available in the secondary market. I'm getting in on the ground floor, Jack. My kids are going to love the novelty and I have a feeling this will be one of my most highly-cherished decks. Looking forward to seeing this reach its funding goal!
Ha, well that's wonderful to hear - thank you for the support both in getting your own deck but also in your kind feedback and sharing the experience with your family. I will do my very best to bring you something you all will cherish. Please do feel free to get involved on the campaign page in the updates as I try to listen to the backers and involve them in the creative process. Right now we are discussing the stretch goals we would like to see if/when the campaign reaches its goal. And though obviously you're surely aware by now, your support helps sustainable business, highlights beauty from around the world, and makes a real difference to displaced animals in Japan. If there are any others you know who might like the project and want to be involved, please do let them know about it.
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

So I've been hearing what possible add-ons people would like to see and a colour print seems to be quite a popular idea. I started working on ideas for it today to see if I think it could work. This is medium poster size.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 13.52.25.png
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

You know what? If you burst your stretch goal or put out a 2nd ed; please consider a full colour version of this. Brain Vessel did it with their sea creatures deck. 1st one was B&W, with the 2nd one in full colour.

Click on the link to see what I mean. This deck deserves a full colour version.
Decknowledgy

Totally agreeing with the colored version of this deck, thanks Eric.
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)

JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Eric Lee wrote:You know what? If you burst your stretch goal or put out a 2nd ed; please consider a full colour version of this. Brain Vessel did it with their sea creatures deck. 1st one was B&W, with the 2nd one in full colour.

Click on the link to see what I mean. This deck deserves a full colour version.
Thank you for the feedback Eric, definitely something I'd consider doing for a second edition deck!
So you know, we are one pledge away from reaching our goal and the first stretch-goal has been announced included a coloured card!
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Decknowledgy wrote:Totally agreeing with the colored version of this deck, thanks Eric.
Hey, I have been negotiating with printers and wanted to let you know and the community here that one of the larger stretch-goals, if we reach Β₯1,000,000 [edited] I will be able to move printers to the better know Expert Playing Card Company. I trust PrintNinja and am very pleased with their services so far but people have asked for the consideration of different printers and EPCC have given me the quotes matching my printing demands (for instance, they don't usually provide soy ink but I have requested it special and they have said they will source it for me). I am also in contact with USPCC so nothing is confirmed - and once again, I like PrintNinja and would still be proud to print the beautiful cards with them - but if this community is eager to see these cards by a more established printing company then rest assured I'm in discussions and it will be possible if we have the backing!
hsbc
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

I promise you that no one here would vote for PrintNinja - we're picky! :lol: - unless it was the only way for the deck to exist ever or something?? :? :lol: But remember art cards like this get a bit more of a pass from people - almost funded! :D

I'd also love to see a full-color version, but I'd recommend finishing this campaign, taking your time with the second version, and launching that on its own later on :mrgreen:
P52 β€’ DC β€’ IG β€’ UC β€’ r/ β€’ m/ β€’ 52+J
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

hsbc wrote:I promise you that no one here would vote for PrintNinja - we're picky! :lol: - unless it was the only way for the deck to exist ever or something?? :? :lol: But remember art cards like this get a bit more of a pass from people - almost funded! :D

I'd also love to see a full-color version, but I'd recommend finishing this campaign, taking your time with the second version, and launching that on its own later on :mrgreen:
Yes, I certainly got that impression ;) I wanted to let people know that I'm listening and will be changing the printer if we can reach the funding goal necessary - so if people here do join in and help spread the word then they won't be disappointed ;)

And great, good to know there is this interest for the colours!
Harvonsgard

101% funded. So happy to see that. Congratulations, well deserved.

Decknowledgy

For this art style, I recommend Expert over USPCC since Expert is good in intricate designs and careful registrations!
Decknowledgyβ„’ (Ted)

JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Harvonsgard wrote:101% funded. So happy to see that. Congratulations, well deserved.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your support and confidence. I know your first concern was also the printer. I'm still confident in the ability of the printer I am currently working with but I have listened to all of you guys, and if we reach Β₯900,000 - that's 130% - then I will change printers to EPCC. So if you can help tell this community that I am listening and if they get involved it can be what they want and more, it would really help the project grow!
JackBrutusPenny
βœ” VERIFIED Designer
βœ” VERIFIED Designer

Decknowledgy wrote:For this art style, I recommend Expert over USPCC since Expert is good in intricate designs and careful registrations!
Okay, that's very interesting and good feedback. I will continue my talks with EPCC!