An elegant but different card design

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
James Johnson

An elegant but different card design

Unread post by James Johnson »

Hello everyone!

So, just started on designing my first deck of cards and wanted to go different than what a traditional deck/face cards look like. Would love feedback as I go along the process and post WIP shots.
Attachments
86CB31FC-E7A1-4975-B6B5-61D8891DAAA7.jpeg
James Johnson

Re: An elegant but different card design

Here is the flip of the design...
Attachments
8126072F-0F42-4C86-B653-4DA12E2E8C52.jpeg
BaconWise
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Gold Arabesque
Decks Owned: 225

Unread post by BaconWise »

This is incredible work and I haven't seen anything quite like it. I love the duality, which is a cool feature of Jody Ecklund's Luminosity campaign that will be fulfilling later this year. The only problem I see is that you have only shared one damn card. We. Require. More.

Do you have a date in mind when you think you will launch? Any idea of printer or special features (foil, embossing, etc.)?

I am so glad you found this forum and thank you for sharing this project, James!
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

Web: www.curioplayingcards.com
Instagram: @curio_playingcards
Facebook: Curio Playing Cards
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I really like this court art. I realize it may be unfinished but I would make the k in both corners the same. I am a big fan of dual courts like this.

Sent from my Galaxy 8 using Tapatalk
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

BaconWise wrote:This is incredible work and I haven't seen anything quite like it. I love the duality, which is a cool feature of Jody Ecklund's Luminosity campaign that will be fulfilling later this year. The only problem I see is that you have only shared one damn card. We. Require. More.

Do you have a date in mind when you think you will launch? Any idea of printer or special features (foil, embossing, etc.)?

I am so glad you found this forum and thank you for sharing this project, James!
Maybe launch date isn't what we should talk about if there's only one card :lol:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
BaconWise

MagikFingerz wrote:
BaconWise wrote:This is incredible work and I haven't seen anything quite like it. I love the duality, which is a cool feature of Jody Ecklund's Luminosity campaign that will be fulfilling later this year. The only problem I see is that you have only shared one damn card. We. Require. More.

Maybe launch date isn't what we should talk about if there's only one card :lol:
I'm just impatient with things I like, lol. And, besides, those drawings can be done in minutes, so he should have a complete deck to show off tomorrow, right?! :lol: :lol:
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

Nah bro, cards with a rectangle and a dot takes years, years I say, to design, these should take at least that long.

Magic Tapp
Decks Owned: 816

Unread post by Magic Tapp »

I quite like the design of that single card but I do not think it that the white scroll in the middle works. Make it another call and it would look much better.
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

BaconWise wrote:We. Require. More.
Haste makes waste. Be patient my friend :) .
Magic Tapp wrote:... I do not think it that the white scroll in the middle works.
As off how the scroll looks right now I would agree. But I like that detail and if the scroll gets more incorporated into the design, for example with runes, letters, maybe an ambigram on it, and a better colour, like an off-white or beige, it would be a blast, imo.

Overall a great first impressions and I'm looking forward for more.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

shiroo56 wrote:As off how the scroll looks right now I would agree. But I like that detail and if the scroll gets more incorporated into the design, for example with runes, letters, maybe an ambigram on it, and a better colour, like an off-white or beige, it would be a blast, imo.

+1 to all of this!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

1. This is incredible
2. Add some details to the scroll
3. Design a full deck but take your time and don't rush it
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

King of what (no pip)? Nice otherwise.
Move on, nothing to see here.
James Johnson

LOL Thank you so much for the nice words Baconwise, I am hoping to get something ready to crowd fund maybe in Octoberish?

Oh, I have a TON of plans what I would love to do with the deck, foils, the tuck case, etc... I really want to create something quite a bit different than any card deck before, keeping my fingers crossed on everything as I go along the journey.

I'll also keep updating progress on this and the other cards as progress is being made. I have been blessed (VERY sarcastic) with degenerative disc disease and have been having troubles as of late with my neck, so it has slowed me down a bit, but I press on. I am too stubborn to let that or anything stop me from making this happen :)
James Johnson

STLBluesNut wrote:I really like this court art. I realize it may be unfinished but I would make the k in both corners the same. I am a big fan of dual courts like this.

Thank you for your kind words STLBluesNut, I totally agree with the matching K's in the corners. Once I get to a more finished piece, I'll update you and everyone with the graphics and see what you think. :)
James Johnson

MagikFingerz wrote:

LOL, actually I really appreciate that anyone would want to even know a launch date with this. I am hoping sometime in October, if my luck can hold out. I am so glad a friend of mine pointed me to this site, it should be extremely helpful for me to make this card deck happen with everyones support and advice. :)
James Johnson

BaconWise wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:

I'm just impatient with things I like, lol. And, besides, those drawings can be done in minutes, so he should have a complete deck to show off tomorrow, right?! :lol: :lol:

Oh god, how I wish LMAO
James Johnson

STLBluesNut wrote:Nah bro, cards with a rectangle and a dot takes years, years I say, to design, these should take at least that long.

God, I hope not! LOL
James Johnson

Magic Tapp wrote:I quite like the design of that single card but I do not think it that the white scroll in the middle works. Make it another call and it would look much better.

I've been waiting for finishing the scroll last, it definitely won't be white. I'm thinking about a parchment paper look with either some graphics or even go with an Illuminated manuscript look, still playing with it. If I can make it basically look really really old, that's what I want to go for :)

Thank you for the kind words and feedback, always appreciate the support! :)
James Johnson

shiroo56 wrote:
BaconWise wrote:We. Require. More.
Haste makes waste. Be patient my friend :) .
Magic Tapp wrote:... I do not think it that the white scroll in the middle works.
As off how the scroll looks right now I would agree. But I like that detail and if the scroll gets more incorporated into the design, for example with runes, letters, maybe an ambigram on it, and a better colour, like an off-white or beige, it would be a blast, imo.

Thank you so much shiroo56, yes, I plan on doing quite a bit still to this card and holding off on the scroll until last so I can flesh out what options have been bouncing around in my mind. Hoping I can post a update on this and some other cards soon :)
James Johnson

Räpylätassu wrote:1. This is incredible
2. Add some details to the scroll
3. Design a full deck but take your time and don't rush it

1) Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
2) Definitely have plans (it's the last item after I finish up the rest of the artwork :) )
3) Hoping once I finish the deck people will want to help kickstart it :)
James Johnson

RichK wrote:King of what (no pip)? Nice otherwise.

Thank you and very glad you like it so far. He is going to be King of Clubs/King of Paper. I actually have plans on making a Rock Paper Scissors theme out of this...it is looking more and more like I may be designing a straight suit deck and then use some of the face cards for a specialized game I created. Will see how things go as I progress on everything :)
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

I agree with everyone's comments and have to add that the artwork is SO GOOD. My only thing to add is maybe make the king pop just a LITTLE more off the background. You've got some major art chops. Can't wait to see more.
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
portcullis
Decks Owned: 440

Unread post by portcullis »

OK this is nicest new piece of art I've seen here in a while, but one court art does not a deck make (shakes fist wildly at non-existent Sputnik 60th anniversary deck). Definitely interested.

Agree on the scroll, use it or lose it.

Very keen to see more.
James Johnson

wingedpotato wrote:I agree with everyone's comments and have to add that the artwork is SO GOOD. My only thing to add is maybe make the king pop just a LITTLE more off the background. You've got some major art chops. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you so much for your feedback, and yes, as I still work on that piece I’ll be adding more shade to make the king be very much in the foreground. More updates soon :D
James Johnson

portcullis wrote:OK this is nicest new piece of art I've seen here in a while, but one court art does not a deck make (shakes fist wildly at non-existent Sputnik 60th anniversary deck). Definitely interested.

Agree on the scroll, use it or lose it.

Very keen to see more.
Thank you so much, and yes I have plans for the banner, it’s the last part of all the card designs I’ll be working on. More coming soon
James Johnson

I’ll be posting more updates with the Wood/Clubs king soon. I want to get a few other cards up and going and do the polish to all of them at the same time at the end of the drawing process to make sure they look like they belong to the same world I’m creating.

Started 4 more cards, this one I am going to spend a bit of time on to make it the way I envisioned. He is the broken King of Hearts.

More coming soon...
James Johnson

Going for a gloomy but not horribly scary look, he’s actually the sympathetic character going by the background story I have for him
Attachments
C85C7074-4F1F-45D7-88C1-5A9FE7399313.jpeg
Harvonsgard
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Re: An elegant but different card design (wap)

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Oh boy... my wallet starts sweating. I know it is early, but for now it looks like I have to save up for this deck. Glad it’ll take a while till it is finished. Thanks for sharing.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

I have to admit that I stayed away from this thread. I guess I feel a bit saturated with my regular designers right now and so much is just, well...mediocre to be honest. Well, I am mistaken. This really is exceptional work and I think you have the makings of a great deck(s). I am more a fan of the first designs than the most recent sketch you posted, but even the second one holds a lot of potential.

I will have to keep a much closer eye on this thread from now on.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
BaconWise

Thanks for sharing the updated sketch, James. I love the look. It reminds me of the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and everything I love about the fantasy genre. Very excited to see this develop in the coming months.
"But why male models?"

Curio Playing Cards