Samedi - voodoo themed playing cards!

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
CCMadden

Samedi - voodoo themed playing cards!

Unread post by CCMadden »

Coming soon to a Kickstarter near you!

My first custom designed deck of playing cards. Themed after voodoo gods and goddesses (Loa), with a different god on each face card. Imagery is drawn from voodoo tradition for icons and symbols with the intent to pay homage and respect for this awesome culture :).
Attachments
CD07F35D-81C8-44A0-8E60-84DFEBC16844.jpeg
37D03720-2B4A-4A32-A6CC-E5536C8935C8.jpeg
CupcakeBaron

Re: Samedi - voodoo themed playing cards!

Unread post by CupcakeBaron »

I know you might get a few comments about people not being excited about another deck featuring skulls but I think this direction is different enough that it's worth appreciating in it's on right. While I personally don't love full bleed black decks I do enjoy everything else about this so I'm in. Can't wait to see more images.
Spectre
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

I like these. Would love to see the backside and tuck before I can commit....
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Spectre wrote:I like these. Would love to see the backside and tuck before I can commit....
From the pictures it looks like they just reused the king art for the back design, which is not exactly ideal.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
CupcakeBaron

Good point on the back design. Perhaps that can be reworked before the campaign starts up.
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Assuming no repeating courts I would be in for these, good custom artwork and the highly underutilised colour purple, that's hard to resist.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

There's a lot to like about these. But having a court card also be a back design is not a good idea. I would design a new back design.

I'm getting a Steve Minty wibe out of these.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

MagikFingerz wrote:
Spectre wrote:I like these. Would love to see the backside and tuck before I can commit....
From the pictures it looks like they just reused the king art for the back design, which is not exactly ideal.
Yup. Change the back or change the king- the two should NEVER be the same. Also, please pick a good printer...
CCMadden

This feedback is great! I’m going to change the king, as I like the back design. The four kings are the four Barons (really the four personas of Baron Samedi - Samedi, La Croix, Cimitiere, and Kriminel). They all have a similar skull-face, top hat look, but I can do Some work to separate the face cards from the back design.
Spectre
Decks Owned: 3000

Unread post by Spectre »

MagikFingerz wrote:
Huh... Thanks for pointing that out. At first glance I thought the second picture was of the four Kings... I'm a little slow on the uptake. I still like the deck, but agree with all the others, curious to see what the new king will look like.
CupcakeBaron

I think I'd prefer changing the back design over changing the king. Perhaps eliminate Baron Samedi(so it doesn't look too much like the court cards) and incorporate something else to fill the space.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

CupcakeBaron wrote:I think I'd prefer changing the back design over changing the king.
I agree. A back design that looks like a court card isn't a good back design IMHO.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I know Samedi is Saturday in French. I think these cards would look better with full body courts.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
CupcakeBaron

CCmadden I was thinking about your deck and another way you could potentially differentiate the courts and the back design would be to incorporate the veve for the different loa on your courts. Then for the back design focus strictly on Baron Samedi's veve as this is his deck.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

CCMadden wrote:This feedback is great! I’m going to change the king, as I like the back design. The four kings are the four Barons (really the four personas of Baron Samedi - Samedi, La Croix, Cimitiere, and Kriminel). They all have a similar skull-face, top hat look, but I can do Some work to separate the face cards from the back design.
These just taste awful.

rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I hope it was an accident that you ignored the statement about printers and not an omen that you're going with a crappy printer...
CCMadden

Cupcake Baron - I really like the veve notion, I’d like to play with that! Also you sound somewhat knowledgeable about voodoo terminology :).

Vasta41 - purely accidental! I got caught up in the redesign discussion. I’m not super knowledgeable about printers. These test cards were done by Printer Studio, and I have quotes from USPCC that seem reasonable. I’ve been warned on Reddit that my back designs push the margins dangerously close and even USPCC might not be up to the challenge, and was recommended to look at Expert Playing Card Co. unfortunately, they aren’t returning my inquests, but I’ll keep after them.

When it comes to printers, what are some you recommend? What are the make-or-break printers for a Kickstarter campaign?
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

CCMadden wrote:Cupcake Baron - I really like the veve notion, I’d like to play with that! Also you sound somewhat knowledgeable about voodoo terminology :).

Vasta41 - purely accidental! I got caught up in the redesign discussion. I’m not super knowledgeable about printers. These test cards were done by Printer Studio, and I have quotes from USPCC that seem reasonable. I’ve been warned on Reddit that my back designs push the margins dangerously close and even USPCC might not be up to the challenge, and was recommended to look at Expert Playing Card Co. unfortunately, they aren’t returning my inquests, but I’ll keep after them.

When it comes to printers, what are some you recommend? What are the make-or-break printers for a Kickstarter campaign?
I don't hesitate to support decks printed by USPCC, EPCC, and Cartamundi. NPCC has some way to go before they join that list. I don't think that I own an MPC deck. I would stick with 1 of the the first 3 I mentioned.

IMO USPCC has the best handling decks and EPCC has the most durable and best-looking decks. I don't have enough Cartamundi decks to say what they do best. They're just as high-quality as those 2.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

CCMadden wrote:Vasta41 - purely accidental! I got caught up in the redesign discussion. I’m not super knowledgeable about printers. These test cards were done by Printer Studio, and I have quotes from USPCC that seem reasonable. I’ve been warned on Reddit that my back designs push the margins dangerously close and even USPCC might not be up to the challenge, and was recommended to look at Expert Playing Card Co. unfortunately, they aren’t returning my inquests, but I’ll keep after them.

When it comes to printers I am very bias towards USPCC but EPCC isn't bad either. Most others are far down my list but if the funding goal is too high due to the better quality of printing and it seems like the deck is on the borderline of funding then the age-old question is "is it better to print the deck with an inferior printer or not have it printed at all?" What I think is a good idea is to make USPCC a stretch goal if you need to.
As far as registration goes, EPCC might be a tad better but either company will have a hard time registering the skull diamonds you have there. If you trim those back I imagine that USPCC could do a good job (but again, I'm bias). In regards to EPCC not getting back to you I wouldn't take it personally- one of their factories just burned down to the ground so they might be a little preoccupied.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

CCMadden wrote: I’ve been warned on Reddit that my back designs push the margins dangerously close and even USPCC might not be up to the challenge, and was recommended to look at Expert Playing Card Co. unfortunately, they aren’t returning my inquests, but I’ll keep after them.
Ask USPCC about the back design rather than making your own assumptions. Send them the artwork & ask them to send it to their prepress coordinator for validation. This should work. I am also working with them on an upcoming deck release and found them to be quite responsive.

USPCC had last week off and same might be the case with EPCC. Just give both of them time. My personal experience is that EPCC/LPCC are more responsive & willing to go an extra mile compared to USPCC, your mileage may vary.
Casual Pixels
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Casual Pixels »

Nice! A dark-themed deck (and with skulls!) that I like. Huh. :D
CCMadden

Thanks! :)

A further question for people, can anyone recommend a fulfilment house for kickstarted playing cards? This is my first Kickstarter and there’s a LOT of conflicting info out there.
CupcakeBaron

Gambler's Warehouse seems to be a popular and reliable option for fulfillment.
CCMadden

Hey all!

I wanted to update everyone that my Samedi Kickstarter is almost ready to go live on Kickstarter! I’m
Just finalizing some stretch goals and solidifying printer contracts.

I’ve decided to go with the superior USPCC for their well-known quality. I’ve also taken some feedback into account and restated all the face cards with unique symbols for each Voodoo god or goddess. Take a look!

If you are interested in being notified when the Kickstarter goes live, PM me your email and I’ll be sure to let you know!

STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

I do like the colors and design. some will still mention the king of spades and the back being too similar I think, but I am new to the hobby and just don't mind it.

Will the tuck have any embossing or foil? gold and purple foil would be sick. also, if this is successful, I think a blue silver and white version would be quite nice as well.
CupcakeBaron

I was wondering about this deck just the other day! I love the changes you've made and how you added in the different veve like we discussed. Super looking forward to this campaign
CCMadden

STLBluesNut wrote:I do like the colors and design. some will still mention the king of spades and the back being too similar I think, but I am new to the hobby and just don't mind it.

Will the tuck have any embossing or foil? gold and purple foil would be sick. also, if this is successful, I think a blue silver and white version would be quite nice as well.
The blue and silver version sounds great! I have a few variants in mind and I think I’ll add that one too.

I love the idea of the foil and embossing - I’m pricing that now with USPCC, unfortunately it more than doubles the print cost so it will have to be a stretch goal but it’s aomething I very much want to do.
CCMadden

CupcakeBaron wrote:I was wondering about this deck just the other day! I love the changes you've made and how you added in the different veve like we discussed. Super looking forward to this campaign

Thanks! I’m super stoked to launch it. One of the other stretch goals I’m pricing is purple foil gilded edges. I think it would really make the deck sing!
STLBluesNut

Unread post by STLBluesNut »

CCMadden wrote:

Thanks! I’m super stoked to launch it. One of the other stretch goals I’m pricing is purple foil gilded edges. I think it would really make the deck sing!
Purple gilding would be crazy! I'm a sucker for that I would definitely be in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Wizard_of_Os
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Wizard_of_Os »

STLBluesNut wrote:
CCMadden wrote:

Purple gilding would be crazy! I'm a sucker for that I would definitely be in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
+1000