Lucky Hands Card Deck by Malika Favre

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
doobybrain

Lucky Hands Card Deck by Malika Favre

Unread post by doobybrain »

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 3.23.37 PM.png
Malika Favre designed these in collaboration with Alice Balas (clothing brand). You can see them here: http://malikafavreshop.bigcartel.com/pr ... -card-deck
Merlebird
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Re: Lucky Hands Card Deck by Malika Favre

Unread post by Merlebird »

I maybe "$15" like these. I definitely do not "£60" like them.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

cool cards, but the repeating courts with only a color change is less inspired than I would've expected from such an amazing artist like Malika Favre (who I absolutely love btw lol)... it makes me sad... and that is a pretty proud price if I ever saw one! :shock:
Merlebird
Collector: Yes
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

PipChick wrote:the repeating courts with only a color change is less inspired
It's not quite as bad as an old-school, 16-bit RPG palette swap; you can see there are very small variations in the lineart as well. (The QoS has epaulets, for example, and she's petting a badger where the QoH has a fox.) But it's only barely more effort - akin to newer, 3D RPGs where incidental polygons might be added or transformed but the underlying skeleton remains identical for each iteration of the same enemy.

All this is to say: still lazy. But lazy in a more modern way.

Looking at Favre's "about" page, I see it describes her style as "Pop Art meets OpArt." Well, fair enough. Mass repetition of images is sort of Pop Art's thing. And if she's an established, in-demand artist - which preliminary Googling seems to suggest she is - then the price point makes more sense. £60 is a gobsmacking ask to the collectable playing card community, but I have to imagine it sounds about right for a limited-run objet d'art marketed to the gallery set.

If she can demand that kind of paper, more power to her. And I think it's good to have it out on the market to push the conversation, as it were - give present and future designers ideas or inspiration.

But I'm certainly not giving her my £60, because some Greek guy already shook me down for it.
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Merlebird wrote:
PipChick wrote:the repeating courts with only a color change is less inspired
It's not quite as bad as an old-school, 16-bit RPG palette swap; you can see there are very small variations in the lineart as well. (The QoS has epaulets, for example, and she's petting a badger where the QoH has a fox.) But it's only barely more effort - akin to newer, 3D RPGs where incidental polygons might be added or transformed but the underlying skeleton remains identical for each iteration of the same enemy.

All this is to say: still lazy. But lazy in a more modern way.

Looking at Favre's "about" page, I see it describes her style as "Pop Art meets OpArt." Well, fair enough. Mass repetition of images is sort of Pop Art's thing. And if she's an established, in-demand artist - which preliminary Googling seems to suggest she is - then the price point makes more sense. £60 is a gobsmacking ask to the collectable playing card community, but I have to imagine it sounds about right for a limited-run objet d'art marketed to the gallery set.
ah, I see the differences; on first glance I didn't notice; there aren't too many pictures, but you're right - there are small (very minimal) changes between the courts.

As for the price, I still think it's a bit much. I mean look at Ryan McGinness (another super well known pop artist with works in museums around the globe); when he made his blacklight nudie cards with his iconic figure studies (also marketed to the art gallery crowd) it still was only 35 bucks.... I mean, he was a curator for Warhol and has numerous pieces in museums...

Don't get me wrong, I really like Malika Favre, and she definitely has made her mark in the art world, but I also don't think it's terribly unfair to make the comparison with all things considered...

Here's McGinness' deck; sure, there are also recolors, but many more different (noticeably different) designs overall

Merlebird wrote:And I think it's good to have it out on the market to push the conversation, as it were - give present and future designers ideas or inspiration.
And a resounding yes to all of this :)
Adonael

Unread post by Adonael »

Crack pipe price, dang.
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Easy pass for me.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠