Bicycle Army Men -- Kickstarter COMPLETE!

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
doobybrain

Re: Bicycle Army Men -- Kickstarter COMPLETE!

Unread post by doobybrain »

Totally agree. Delays are unexpected of course, but when they happen (as they often do), then at least let your Kickstarter supporters know about it. Telling people that there was a delay is much better than not saying anything at all. Because when you say nothing at all, we expect the worst.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

its always a nice feeling when you get ignored once you had paid.
alric
Player: Yes

Unread post by alric »

This is starting to approach Vortex levels, with the only difference being that Alex got cut a lot less slack due to the fact that he is such a massive douche-bag. Redoing some artwork or mismanaging money so that you're unable to ship out decks, at the end of the day its the same result - backers who have paid money but are waiting too long to get their products....
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Perhaps you are correct. Hitting the VORTEX level can only be done if Adam were to
start posting rude retorts putting blame on everyone else. It is of concern that depite
all the verbage about him Adam still remains silent. It is never like that prior to
funding being met.
elcyciB

Unread post by elcyciB »

Isn't he part of CCCC? Or is that solely run by Russell? They're usually great. Also, why ruin your reputation in the community like this? Surely he would want to produce more decks after this and this would not help his case.

I sent him an email awhile back asking if I could purchase any extra dice if he some leftover, but never got a response...if he reads this, please PM me about the dice
doobybrain

I just checked the Comments section on the Army Men kickstarter page and other backers are starting to voice their concerns as well. Frustrating is just one of the words I would use to describe this situation...
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

FINALLY.. a KS update

"Sorry for being so quite lately I have been having some major issues producing this deck. Now with several redesigns I've been fighting a battle for over a month that I was hoping to have resolved much quicker than it is. I received a cease and desist letter from a company that I shall not name claiming trademark infringement by my project. I have been trying to work things out but it's a slow process and some times seems to lead nowhere, I feel like we have finally reached an agreement and with a few minor changes I may be able to have these decks finally ready to send to the printer.

Again I am sorry for my neglect, it is no way to treat all the people that supported me and got the project this far. I will let you all know when I finally have approval."

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
hammr25

Unread post by hammr25 »

Take Two Interactive owns the only trademark for "Army Men". Seems kind of lame that a video game company can get something like this shut down but I understand why they've done what they've done. Lesson learned for Adam.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I would like to know how this has affected to the design.

all my support to Adam. I can imagine this has been hard for him and I perfectly understand the silence about it to the backers till things are solved...
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

max wrote:I would like to know how this has affected to the design.

all my support to Adam. I can imagine this has been hard for him and I perfectly understand the silence about it to the backers till things are solved...

Actually quite to the contrary Max. It is better to notify people as soon as an issue arises, so they know what is going on.

Thanks!
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

I also totally disagree with this. It is better to keep people in the loop.

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

To clarify a little

The words 'Army Men' is not trademarked.
Green plastic army men toys are not trademarked.
A certain company has trademarked a video game series called 'Army Men' with green plastic army men toys.
Realistically, we cant fight it, we were out-lawyered.

SMALL changes are being made to the artwork to satisfy the lawyers. I am sure Adam will be posting images of the SMALL changes soon.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

BMPokerworld wrote:
Actually quite to the contrary Max. It is better to notify people as soon as an issue arises, so they know what is going on.

Thanks!
CBJ wrote:

CBJ

Don't you think people would get nervous after other experiences related to trademarks such as the steampunk lego deck?

I am sorry, but after the previous campaign and as far as I know Adam, I completely trusted on him. Sorry, it is the way I think. Perhaps that has carried me to such a lot of problems, but it is clear I haven't learned yet... I am happy that in this case things are solved.

Good luck!
BMPokerworld

Max Wrote: Don't you think people would get nervous after other experiences related to trademarks such as the steampunk lego deck?

I am sorry, but after the previous campaign and as far as I know Adam, I completely trusted on him. Sorry, it is the way I think. Perhaps that has carried me to such a lot of problems, but it is clear I haven't learned yet... I am happy that in this case things are solved.

Good luck!

Well that makes no sense. You think people would be more worried knowing there is a problem and what it is, then not knowing there is a problem, never hearing from the designer what the problem is and left to only speculate the worst has happened? Well then I guess your right, you haven't learned yet.

Thanks!
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

Russell wrote:To clarify a little

The words 'Army Men' is not trademarked.
Green plastic army men toys are not trademarked.
A certain company has trademarked a video game series called 'Army Men' with green plastic army men toys.
Realistically, we cant fight it, we were out-lawyered.

SMALL changes are being made to the artwork to satisfy the lawyers. I am sure Adam will be posting images of the SMALL changes soon.

I just don't understand why Adam isn't here clarifying things.

CBJ
CBJ

max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

BMPokerworld wrote:Well then I guess your right then, you haven't learned yet.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right. I haven't learned yet. I have time to do it, but you all help me everyday. Thanks! :D
hammr25

Unread post by hammr25 »

CBJ wrote:

CBJ
I kind of understand it in this type of situation when dealing with lawyers. He could have said something generic about hitting another snag and working to get through it. I can see where he'd be afraid that would just lead to more questions he didn't want to answer until the situation was resolved. It's just a messy situation all around. Once the lawyers have signed off and this project has been resubmitted to USPCC it would be nice to actually get a new time frame on when he expects to receive proofs from them and what not instead of getting all our information from Russell.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

This is just another example where the deck designer/producer should have had everything ready and cleared before starting to take money from people.

And @ max: I think I get what you mean, but it seems like this was an issue that arose only after the kickstarter was completed (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Which means that he had already received money from his backers, and therefore should have kept them in the loop of what was happening. I agree that if it had happened during the kickstarter he wouldn't have wanted people to know all the details and gotten cold feet, retracting their pledges and such.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

MagikFingerz wrote:This is just another example where the deck designer/producer should have had everything ready and cleared before starting to take money from people.

And @ max: I think I get what you mean, but it seems like this was an issue that arose only after the kickstarter was completed (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Which means that he had already received money from his backers, and therefore should have kept them in the loop of what was happening. I agree that if it had happened during the kickstarter he wouldn't have wanted people to know all the details and gotten cold feet, retracting their pledges and such.

Yes Tom, you are right, and I am grateful that you show your point of view in that way. I completely agree with you and I am sure most of the backers would have preferred to know what happened before, but I was talking just in my name when showing my support to Adam and, even despite he hasn't yet appeared here, I am sure there is a reason and, for some reason I cannot explain beyond our contact in the Revision 1 campaign and along this Army Men campaign, I trust on him and don't need from him more explanations. Perhaps I am wrong, but I will survive as I have done before with other people I trusted on. Perhaps, I am too old to change :)

Best wishes
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Well, we all have different views and experiences. When I didn't get my Revision1 decks, I couldn't get hold of Adam at all. It was finally Russell who came through getting me my missing decks when placing an order for some of his decks.

But it's good to know that there are someone out there who got a good impression of him :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
doobybrain

I'm thankful for the update finally, but I can't help but feel like this whole extended silence has really left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this project and any of Adam's or Russell's projects in the future. I can understand not being able to indulge details, but to straight-up IGNORE all of the requests from backers for status updates on the project...that seems irresponsible and unprofessional from any individual or company.

Even if somebody said "Hi guys, we're hitting an unexpected obstacle, but we are still working hard over here!", that would have put some relief in me about this project. I don't care that it's going to be delivered late (I actually expect Kickstarter projects to hit snags here and there), but I do care that it was handled in such a poor way.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

i don't see a copyright infringement. all the artwork is custom including the box and face cards. is it the name "army men"? if so, i would have changed it to "army cards" and tell them to stick it up their ass. i can see how the steampunk lego cards turns some heads with copyright infringement, but these cards are original. i just want to know how he slipped a 24 deck reward without kick starer making him change it (LIEUTENANT GENERAL).
RussellSprouts
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

doobybrain wrote:... this whole extended silence has really left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this project and any of Adam's or Russell's projects in the future.
Whilst I completely understand regarding Adam, I don't think this should tarnish Russell by association. I have never had any problem with any dealings with Russell (incl. Brimstone, Americana and Hornet), and can't say I recall anyone reporting having any serious issue in dealings with him.
MagikFingerz wrote:When I didn't get my Revision1 decks, I couldn't get hold of Adam at all. It was finally Russell who came through ...
I had exactly the same experience. It was Russell who got my Revision1 pledge sorted, after several weeks of non-response from Adam. (Why exactly I chose to pledge on the Army Men after that... well I'm not sure :-) )
doobybrain

Gareth wrote:
doobybrain wrote:... this whole extended silence has really left a bad taste in my mouth regarding this project and any of Adam's or Russell's projects in the future.
Whilst I completely understand regarding Adam, I don't think this should tarnish Russell by association. I have never had any problem with any dealings with Russell (incl. Brimstone, Americana and Hornet), and can't say I recall anyone reporting having any serious issue in dealings with him.
MagikFingerz wrote:When I didn't get my Revision1 decks, I couldn't get hold of Adam at all. It was finally Russell who came through ...
I had exactly the same experience. It was Russell who got my Revision1 pledge sorted, after several weeks of non-response from Adam. (Why exactly I chose to pledge on the Army Men after that... well I'm not sure :-) )
Correct me if I'm wrong (this is the information I've been going off of), but I was under the impression that Adam and Russell work together since I've heard multiple reports of Russell swooping in and taking care of business when Adam is not responsive. This, by association, makes no sense to me. Even if Russell is 100% reliable, his dealings with somebody who isn't is enough reason to raise alarms in my head about either one's future projects.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Even more disappointing is that tons of communication has been going on with the other KS he started around the same time with his brother:

Sorry, but this is being handled extremely poorly. I would continue to back anything done by Russell, but Adam's lack of communication and the way this has all been handled just grates on me.
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Are you saying Adam was running other projects while ignoring this one. That is rather uncool.
It is unfortunate that people are losing faith in Russ. Yes this deck was done under the umbrella
of CCC. I have backed every one of CCCs decks and never had issue. I wiill continue to do so. Certainly I will not touch any of Adams projects. To not know about any TM issues until after all
the money is taken is very poor business. What troubles me most on projects like this is so many young people put there money into such things. When you are under 18 most of the your funds are much more limited so when things go south like in the VORTEX DECK the creator
of the project is stealing from kids. I am not saying Adam is going to steal I do beleive
that in time this shall work out. Not only do issues like this bring me doubt about funding
Adam but I am getting sick of KS as a whole. I will only back people I trust or if I see
a deck I really like I will pledge a smaller amount.
cosmicsecret
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

My honest opinion on this Kickstarter Project : It´s just disrespectfull to the people who put their hard cash $16k on the table - and then being IGNORED for weeks when asking for a update!
Then reading that this guy is running another project with his brother where he communicates a lot with the backers?!?!
This makes me angry....really angry!
What kind of behaviour is this?
Just like the Ultraviolet Deck,Asylum Deck and the crown jewel in this hall of shame The Vortex deck.

How would you feel if you get treated like this?
Lets not hope that someone starts a Kickstarter for a Terminator who takes care of those "no-go behaviour projects on KS" :x :x :x :x :x
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Where is Adam.Why is he not showing up here. A few words from him may go a long way.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

to be fair... he did post on his KS where ALL his backers are.
BMPokerworld

Russell wrote:to be fair... he did post on his KS where ALL his backers are.

OK I understand that, but to be fair as well, he had no trouble posting here when he was trying to get people to back his project right? It works both ways. He made a post on Kickstarter and while everyone wishes he would have posted here in the times he has been on the forum since it has been back up, at least he responded. Hopefully everything will get resolved shortly and if not, he will keep everyone abreast a little more frequently.

Thanks!