ICONS Imperial edition

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: ICONS Imperial edition: luxury cards by HMPC-LIVE! (fund

Unread post by Lotrek »

Bikefanatic wrote:This is going to be one hell of a package. Won't be able to fit in my mailbox, even if it could, we'll still receive a pink slip for it be certified mail to come pick it up from a post office?
I hope so. I don't know how it works in each country but when it's a registered mail shipment, here in Greece you always get it from the post office with your ID card. I guess it's the same everywhere otherwise registered mail means nothing.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
othello

Unread post by othello »

Hi Lotrek, when will the demo decks be shipped out? For those who only brought on UC, I recalled the UC offers page stated mid Dec but its already mid Jan and I haven't receive any shipping email so far.
Gareth
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by Gareth »

othello wrote:Hi Lotrek, when will the demo decks be shipped out? For those who only brought on UC, I recalled the UC offers page stated mid Dec but its already mid Jan and I haven't receive any shipping email so far.
The latest update from Lotrek stated that they're now all going to be posted together. Lotrek specifically stated in response (possibly to my frustrated post) that;
Lotrek wrote:As for the Trial and Demo not shipped prior to the official, it's mainly because the gift I'm preparing will cost a lot and it will also add to the shipment cost. Since all these decks will be ready with just a few days distance from eachother, I chose to spend money for the gift rather than for multiple shipments.
I'm torn here - whilst I knew that this project was pushing limits, and using experimental processes that may fail, it seemed that with the 'Demo' decks we were purchasing the 'finished', but flawed, decks as is - however since then Lotrek decided to use a new die to cut them - which sounds like another experimental process on top of what we though we'd purchased, and of course has delayed the promised delivery.

I'm almost at the point (for the 'Trial' and 'Demo' decks) of just (to re-use the phrase from another more fraught campaign) to say 'I just want my goddamn cards', but I respect and trust Lotrek's judgement....
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Lotrek,

All along this ICONS experiment and many many unfortunate problems you've said we'd be getting gifts upon gifts.
First was something special for the number of bought decks;
Second was a "scrap" pile card(s);
Third is this super eager one you want to say but won't (you tease :lol: );
There may have others too that I forgot.

Are we still getting all those bonus cards or is the "secret gift" going to be it instead? I'm happy to have gotten a Trial and Demo deck so I just ant you to have luck with silver foil and cutting so you can finally be done with phase one. I hope you'll be doing the other two planned decks too.

Thanks.
Move on, nothing to see here.
Lord Nikon
Magician: Yes

Unread post by Lord Nikon »

I was under the impression when I purchased the "demo" decks that they were pretty much ready and near shipment. Now it's been a good while since that purchased and I'm just really confused about this project as a whole. T There is just so much going on, I'm just lost at this point. ;)
othello wrote:Hi Lotrek, when will the demo decks be shipped out? For those who only brought on UC, I recalled the UC offers page stated mid Dec but its already mid Jan and I haven't receive any shipping email so far.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Lord Nikon wrote:I was under the impression when I purchased the "demo" decks that they were pretty much ready and near shipment. Now it's been a good while since that purchased and I'm just really confused about this project as a whole. T There is just so much going on, I'm just lost at this point. ;)
Lord Nikon,

Lotrek wrote this on Dec. 26 DEMO update:
Regarding Demo Edition: Some backers wonder what is the status. No serious problems to report, just the fact that it’s going slowly, mainly because the factory was packed up with work when I showed up with my new cutting die. The process needs much more time than what I expected, as I’m cutting the cards one by one. This means that they have to adjust the die 54 times. The die works great though and the cut is very smooth and becomes better as it cuts more and more.
On Jan. 13 he wrote he was going to try silver foiling, the gold worked, this week on the official ICONS decks. I'm sure he wants to get the official decks finally done before mailing anything out. And if you had bought any other ICON or Black Mass decks he's packing them all into one shipment.

Waiting isn't fun and I backed ICONS and Grotesk with Black Mass so I've really been waiting but know it will be worth it. Hang in there, we'll get them.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Some people ask me if the latest gift I teased "cancels" the other gifts, even the reverse foil. Funny question. Why should it? What I promised as a gift will be delivered. And I still think it's little compared to your kind patience.

Regarding the completed foiling ... One word: Happiness! I got them today and they're so sparkling! Everything went flawless and the double backer will blow your mind away. Unfortunately I cannot show a pic but I'll try to post a gif. Here's a quick (and lousy) pic of the back:
back foil.JPG

It's sad to see that the actual production time of such a project is about a month instead of almost a year...
Anyway, I believe "soon" will have it's real meaning this time.

Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

mother-of-god-meme-589.jpg
mother-of-god-meme-589.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 3358 times
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Now that's something that is worth waiting for!

I thinnk I'll take nest plane to Greece to get these beauties...
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Lotrek wrote:Some people ask me if the latest gift I teased "cancels" the other gifts, even the reverse foil. Funny question. Why should it? What I promised as a gift will be delivered. And I still think it's little compared to your kind patience.

It's sad to see that the actual production time of such a project is about a month instead of almost a year...
Thank you so much for that information and CONGRATULATIONS on successful foiling!!!!! I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at that incredible picture. You say "lousy", I just gasp in amazement! :shock:
Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Lotrek wrote:Some people ask me if the latest gift I teased "cancels" the other gifts, even the reverse foil. Funny question. Why should it? What I promised as a gift will be delivered. And I still think it's little compared to your kind patience.

Regarding the completed foiling ... One word: Happiness! I got them today and they're so sparkling! Everything went flawless and the double backer will blow your mind away. Unfortunately I cannot show a pic but I'll try to post a gif. Here's a quick (and lousy) pic of the back:
back foil.JPG

I was falling off my chair
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

This looks crazy good ! Congrats mate :)
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Here are some better pics. Check the pattern on the borders! The guys in the foiling workshop did a great job. They asked me why am I printing this deck again and again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
back3 lo.JPG
back3 lo.JPG (319.33 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
back1 lo.JPG
back1 lo.JPG (377.55 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
back2 lo.JPG
back2 lo.JPG (385.71 KiB) Viewed 3812 times

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Lortek- I think i noticed a smudge... better try again!

.... :lol: :lol: JUST KIDDING! They look AMAZING! :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar: :ucstar:
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

vasta41 wrote:Lortek- I think i noticed a smudge... better try again!
Vasta41:

"You're fired!"
This space intentionally left blank.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

rousselle wrote:
vasta41 wrote:Lortek- I think i noticed a smudge... better try again!
Vasta41:

"You're fired!"
Hahaha thanks, Trump.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

"With almost a year spent on attempts to defeat all sorts of possible and impossible obstacles, I now find out that this is a project that normally can be finished in less than a month's (hard) work. Sad but true."

I hate when most fools say "failure isn't an option" because most of them never done nothing great. If you don't do that, try different things then how are you going to succeed?

So from now on we'll get Lotrek's less than 40 days decks. :ugdance:

(I know you can learn from other's mistakes). ;)
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Bikefanatic wrote: So from now on we'll get Lotrek's less than 40 days decks. :ugdance:
You bet!

Bikefanatic

For the gifts, I done a little research.

Feb 9th Explains the 2,3 & 4 deck tiers for the Official editions
Nov 19th Defected cards may be given out for any of the Official and Trial edition backers
Dec 26th I guess only the Official deck backers get a gift?
Jan 13th Backers for Icons Official decks and Grotesk Macabre Black Mass deck backers get a gift

So is that 4 gifts for me? :D
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

Bikefanatic wrote: All your Gifts belong to me? :D
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Just saw Lotrek's latest update and though I am bummed that we will not be getting our decks anytime soon, my heart goes out to Lotrek to have to deal with yet another set back :cry: I, for one, appreciate his honesty and integrity (unlike some other artists that not only don't update their backers, but also show no signs of fulfilling their obligations when they run into problems)...I fully expect to get all my ICONS when they are ready and know that they will be stunning works of art.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Best of lucks Lotrek! We know you'll pull this one off! :)
Take your time to think the all proccess through and then finish this deck, I'm sure it is worth the wait!
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

shermjack wrote:Just saw Lotrek's latest update and though I am bummed that we will not be getting our decks anytime soon, my heart goes out to Lotrek to have to deal with yet another set back :cry: I, for one, appreciate his honesty and integrity (unlike some other artists that not only don't update their backers, but also show no signs of fulfilling their obligations when they run into problems)...I fully expect to get all my ICONS when they are ready and know that they will be stunning works of art.
I agree 100% with everything you just said. However, at this point I can't help but think Lotrek might have bit off more than he could chew. It's always a struggle to be the first to do something and it's obviously an ambitious task but I bet if you asked him 18 months ago if it would take 5 (hopefully no more...) print runs to make this deck would he do it I bet he would say no. I too wish him luck because I feel like he might be in over his head. As much as I want my decks I'd rather them be close to perfect as possible so I appreciate the tenacity that Lotrek has shown.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@Vasta: Exactly what you said. However the joke is that the foiling -thanks to the workshop I'm using- is 99% perfect. The problems begin in other phases of the production, not so difficult. That's why I need to take a break and see what's going wrong. I'll find it. I'm way too persistent to leave this as is.

vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Lotrek wrote:@Vasta: Exactly what you said. However the joke is that the foiling -thanks to the workshop I'm using- is 99% perfect. The problems begin in other phases of the production, not so difficult. That's why I need to take a break and see what's going wrong. I'll find it. I'm way too persistent to leave this as is.
I selfishly wish you didn't have these problems because all this time you're having to spend on ICONS could be time spent on new decks! :lol: Hang in there, buddy.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Lotrek wrote:@Vasta: Exactly what you said. However the joke is that the foiling -thanks to the workshop I'm using- is 99% perfect. The problems begin in other phases of the production, not so difficult. That's why I need to take a break and see what's going wrong. I'll find it. I'm way too persistent to leave this as is.
When we check networks for security, the 'max' level is "air gapped", meaning no connection at all to the Internet (using the network example case).

Give yourself a few weeks AT LEAST, if not a month or more "head gap" so you can come back with refreshed ideas and not the weight on your shoulders that you have been carrying for a while already, knowing that you couldn't ask for another "do over" at this point. Bro - you CAN ask, because you have kept us 100% informed with exactly what has happened right, wrong and indifferent on every step of the way, regardless of whether it as a big leap or a baby step. "You deserve a break today!" using a terribly unrelated current "Merikun" advertising promotion play on words.

Go get happy and take your mind completely off of the problem for a while, buddy! We all understand, although I'm certain you will find one @hole that just wants their decks and doesn't care how much time, effort and back-breaking work you have put into this project. Let them slide, "water off a duck's back" as we 'Merikuns have been known to say. I've told you before that there's a fine line between perfection and insanity, but it simply does NOT apply in this case: it's the most innovative project you have ever undertaken, and in this case it has managed to outmaneuver you at every possible place along the route.

Forget about it for a while, knowing that for you - that's simply not possible, but - give it every possible way you can to put it out of your mind for now, until you CAN come back and basically put a new set of eyes on the project. I know you all to well to understand that this project - being the most important one you have ever tackled - has got to be delivered with what you consider to be absolute perfection! It's driving you crazy, and from here - it's a short walk right now. Breathe, buddy, breathe! You WILL get there, and when you do it will be a showcase of your astonishing talents! The problem at this point is that the contemporary way of doing things just isn't applicable to these decks. You're on your own, and you are letting it get to you because you're certainly not going to let one deck get out the door that doesn't meet your expectations, which - by the way - are likely WAY ahead of what ours are, although there is no difference, really. You HAVE to get it right, and we all know that. Brain freeze is what happens when you don't let yourself take your mind off something regardless of what you logically think - you need to think about anything but ICONS for a while, then circle around and pretend like you are tackling a new project, of course not literally you can't possibly not apply lessons learned already!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

I've been waiting for someone to post a less rosy comment on this, but it appears left to me;

I don't want put pressure on Lotrek any more than he already is putting himeself under, but there appears to me to be a significant broken promise here, that if many other designers/creators did the same would have people bitching to the end of days.
Lotrek (KS Update 32: 'Demo Edition - Details') wrote:The price is set @ $35/deck and includes worldwide shipment by registered mail.
As soon as I get the tucks I'll prepare the packages and the first orders will be sent out on December 5th.
Lotrek (pg 26 of this thread) wrote:So, in case a KS backer who got the Trial print decides to get the DEMO edition as well, they'll get these together before the Official edition.
Whilst I can understand the delay of the 'Demo' decks when it was decided to proceed with the new die process (a new experiment), and therefore a potential delivery with the most recent printing, however the whole promise of quicker delivery of Demo (and Trial decks where purchased by same people) seems to have been abandoned along with the most recent print run. This is the promise that we all purchased these under.

Which makes this the part of the update which "frustrates or annoys" me the most:
Lotrek (KS Update 39: 'Gordian knot') wrote:I wish I could send Trial and Demo first but this would double the shipping cost and at this point every cent is precious
TLDR: We were promised the Demo decks (and Trial if people got both) before the official decks when we purchased them - which supposedly included necessary postage. That promise is dead.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

@Gareth:

I had to make a choice based on the fact that I had to choose between bad and worse. I believe that the right thing to do was to stick to my promise to deliver something of value instead of a foiled piece of shit -even if this meant a huge delay. This is the promise that will never be dead and I prefer to kill any other promise but this. I knew that some (or many) people would be upset and it was a great relieve to see backers being supportive. Although I totally understand anyone being disappointed -even angry- I would never consider as an option to send a bad deck, even if I had ALL backers furious.
When I said that I'll send the Demo edition first, I had no idea what was to follow. There is not a single aspect of this project that things went as planned and this is neither normal nor usual. But apparently it happens.
Of course there are broken promises here -and believe me, this annoys ME much more than anyone- but I prefer this than a faulty deck, which would be the absolute broken promise.

UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

Gareth wrote:I've been waiting for someone to post a less rosy comment on this, but it appears left to me;
Gareth I think the reason that there has been so little griping up to this ^ point (and this is not to say that you have a legitimate gripe) , is that so many people in this community have so much invested in this deck.

And I am barely talking financially.

This deck was kickstarted under the United Cardists account for a reason. (and not just because Lotrek lives outside the US)
Noone has as much into this deck as Lotrek, but many people in this community still have put a lot of emotion behind supporting Lotrek and into the love of his art.
Not only that, he involves his supporters so we all feel something of us is in that deck (even if our idea was not used it was heard and thought on so still part of the process).

And because of that connection Lotrek won't compromise on the product.
Nor would the majority of his supporters want him too.

TL'DR - Yes there are certainly reasons to gripe about Lotrek and this project. But many of us are too invested in this project to see it any other way than how Lotrek sees it.

THE END
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
Bikefanatic

I'm one of the most impatient people in the world but I rather wait on these decks as long as it takes. If they were impossible to make, Lotrek probably would've gave up by now.

-Lotrek