CHAO – Dynasties of China, by MPC

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Bradius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Re: CHAO – Dynasties of China, by MPC

Unread post by Bradius »

Yep. I am also gaining respect for MPC. The past few high end decks of theirs I have handled have been ... good actually. I am in for a pair or two of these.
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Decknowledgy

Unread post by Decknowledgy »

I still find it amusing that a lot of people are appalled at the 2019 NPCCD series being printed by MPC. The reaction could entail two poles: (1) They still think MPC sucks s*** and can't believe that the series is printed by a "lame/subpar" printer, or (2) They've handled the decks feeling amazed but didn't realize it was MPC that printed them, which gained MPC more appreciators.

MPC The One (Beta and Portland) were definitely a turning point for the brand, since then, their ordinary decks (minus the prototype service) feels on par with those major printers, sturdy, weighty, and glidey.
"We look at the present through a rear-view mirror; we walk backwards into the future."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan (Media Theory Giant)
Decknowledgy™ (Ted)
Instagram Reviews: https://www.instagram.com/decknowledgy

Portfolio 52
masagin303

Unread post by masagin303 »

First two decks were awesome and I regret I got only one of each during the campaign. Finally, I can grab some red/blue extras with the green decks!
And yes, the card quality of Chao decks definitely changed my mind about MPC. When I see MPC during Kickstarter campaigns I'm not really worried anymore. :)
Remember Earth clearly.
caribcards
White Whale: 1890 Kipper cards
Decks Owned: 155

Unread post by caribcards »

I just saw the CHAO deck sell for 3,22 cheaper than KS... :roll:
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

caribcards wrote:I just saw the CHAO deck sell for 3,22 cheaper than KS... :roll:
That sometimes happens with cheaper/'standard'-type decks.

I can't remember who, but there's a KS creator known to offer lower prices after the cards have already been produced.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
caribcards

ON top of that... I see the decks selling in all the online stores but I haven't got mine and neither other backers.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

MPC finally gave an update on the shipping situation. It was affected by the Corona virus in China.

As for the discounts, a quick check shows that those who got a brick paid $130 a brick, which works out to $10.83 per deck vs $14 for the single deck tier which includes shipping as well. Plus retailers probably got bulk discount on top of that. So that could be the reason.

"Slight delay but we're getting there...
To start, I'd just like to apoligize for the delay to you all on the shipping of these CHAO decks. We originally had planned to ship out all rewards by the end of January 2020 but that was also when the coronavirus outbreak started as well, so that meant that we were able to ship out some but not all before all logistic services got shutdown.

We're happy to say that logistics have opened up again and we will be able to ship the rest out within the next 2 days.

Once again, I'd like to apologize for the slight delay. They will get to you soon, but please do allow a bit longer than usual for these decks to get to you due to the current issue. We definitely did not foresee this coming.

If you have any questions, please just let me know and thank you all for your patience on this one."
caribcards

I got my shipping info today. Next time I'll just wait to buy it from the stores instead of backing the project. (I'll save time and money).
shkorc

Unread post by shkorc »

I feel like the KS campaign was more of an attempt at promotion of themselves.

Unfortunately it didn't improve their reputation in my eyes due to:

1. Decks were first released to resellers, campaign supporters came second
2. Delay due to Corona virus outbreak
macstrat

Unread post by macstrat »

shkorc wrote:I feel like the KS campaign was more of an attempt at promotion of themselves.

Unfortunately it didn't improve their reputation in my eyes due to:

1. Decks were first released to resellers, campaign supporters came second
2. Delay due to Corona virus outbreak

The first issue I can agree with, The second not so much. Things like that are out of the printers control. Shit happens. The virus is effecting everything, this is just part of the run. Adds to the story. Yes, you could argue that if they shipped to backers first that wouldnt have been an issue, but at the same time, it would have been an issue for another deck.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Maybe I'm kind of biased since I work in the print industry too, but that's kinda normal that you work from the biggest chunk to the smallest one. Meaning, the fellows that got the most decks come first. At the end of the day, wether you like it or not, retailers are campaign supporters as well and they put more money into the campaign than a single deck backer. Sure, everyone should and deserves to be treated with the same amount of care and service, but you can't be in two places at the time. Just my two cents.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
caribcards

Harvonsgard wrote:Maybe I'm kind of biased since I work in the print industry too, but that's kinda normal that you work from the biggest chunk to the smallest one. Meaning, the fellows that got the most decks come first. At the end of the day, wether you like it or not, retailers are campaign supporters as well and they put more money into the campaign than a single deck backer. Sure, everyone should and deserves to be treated with the same amount of care and service, but you can't be in two places at the time. Just my two cents.
You have a valid point. But, as a backer I can decide too. So, I'm just saying next time I will take a closer look to the project. Check for savings and so.
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

caribcards wrote:I got my shipping info today. Next time I'll just wait to buy it from the stores instead of backing the project. (I'll save time and money).
Just FYI. Bear in mind that MPC KS campaigns usually comes with free shippping, but not for the stores. Also, you can usually requests to do add ons from their store to the current KS campaign. I tried it once and they charged $15 per deck shipping included. Stores with discounts, may come up to the same once you include shippping. So you will need to do some math to see if it's worth it to get from KS or the retailers.
Harvonsgard

caribcards wrote:But, as a backer I can decide too. So, I'm just saying next time I will take a closer look to the project. Check for savings and so.
Sure thing! I encourage everybody to do that. Always check what the history of the project founder is and how past campaigns were run.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
masagin303

Remember Earth clearly.
Harvonsgard

masagin303

It's a 3rd recolor already but I really like this series so I will grab 2 again. :)
Remember Earth clearly.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

I've resisted this series. Somehow they're trying to draw me in though! I MAY be in for a half a mixxy brick, possibly. :P I don't know yet. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle against this and should just buy the things. :lol: Every time I see the deck I think good things. I just don't think good things strong enough to be all insta-backer. They're wearing me down though as this yellow deck is adding to it and looking pretty darn goooood. :) (Yes, more is better with this series)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Beautiful boxes, and the courts are drawn well. However, the courts' lack of color and the boring back design makes these an easy pass for me.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
GandalfTheWhite
Decks Owned: 56

Unread post by GandalfTheWhite »

MagikFingerz wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:49 am Beautiful boxes, and the courts are drawn well. However, the courts' lack of color and the boring back design makes these an easy pass for me.
Back design is definitely boring. The tucks are great. Probably will pass as I didn't know of the series until this KS. Pretty new to the playing cards world =)
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

I don't mind a reoccurring patterned card back. Some of my favorite playing cards feature a very simple reoccurring pattern they're called Bee Playing Cards. The back design is simply diamonds and I love it. It's possibly the most copied card back ever because other people love it too. I just felt the need to point that out. We all like what we like but I think keeping things in perspective is not a bad thing. ;)

I have a feeling that if I talk about what I see on the card back of CHAO's I would talk myself into backering and I don't want to do that to myself. Rather I think the product should talk me into it all on it's own. I feel like it's doing that actually so. . . . we'll see if I make another post on the pro's of this pattern. :lol: I don't think it's a bad back at all and it doesn't bore me personally.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Harvonsgard

Fes wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:24 pm. . . we'll see if I make another post on the pro's of this pattern.
Will we read this post in the "Hey look what I added..."-thread? 😜