*OFFICIAL* 2018 'Deck of the Year' Awards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
portcullis
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 440

Re: *OFFICIAL* 2018 'Deck of the Year' Awards

Unread post by portcullis »

Räpylätassu wrote:
portcullis wrote:
wingedpotato wrote:
Image_1 2019-03-19_15-39-06.jpg
Received my prize pack from Roope in excellent condition. All the way from Finland to Colorado. These are just the kind of funky/classy euro's my collection was missing, and the JP deck is back when USPCC actually printed tie-in cards. Thanks, Roope, I'm one happy camper!
Roope, what's the deck front and centre here?
White Palekh 2015 by Alexey Orleansky

Ebay listing if you want to pick one up.
I actually meant the one directly above that Roope. (definitely picking one of those up tho)
Räpylätassu
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

portcullis wrote:
Räpylätassu wrote:
portcullis wrote:
wingedpotato wrote:
Image_1 2019-03-19_15-39-06.jpg
Received my prize pack from Roope in excellent condition. All the way from Finland to Colorado. These are just the kind of funky/classy euro's my collection was missing, and the JP deck is back when USPCC actually printed tie-in cards. Thanks, Roope, I'm one happy camper!
Roope, what's the deck front and centre here?
White Palekh 2015 by Alexey Orleansky

Ebay listing if you want to pick one up.
I actually meant the one directly above that Roope. (definitely picking one of those up tho)
Turku Castle Playing Cards
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Azazaaz
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: CERN
Decks Owned: 900

Unread post by Azazaaz »

Just opened my parcel coming from JuFiN!

A great selection of decks and the best part is that I didn't already have most of them.

For those of you who are curious, I think I can now give the details of the concents:
- 1 AoP / Stranger & Stranger Ultimate deck
- 1 Barclay Mountain Rise Of A Nation
- 1 Bicycle Expert Back red
- 1 Bicycle Zombified
- 1 Bocopo Art Of Cardistry Blue
- 1 Bocopo Blue Steel v1
- 1 Ellusionist Black Ghost Second Edition
- 1 Ellusionist Kings White
- 1 Ellusionist Roadhouse
- A set of Gaia playing cards (one day / one moonlight)
- 1 Stockholm 17 (ver.2) Bicycle Branded

So happy right now :D
Alex
theCapraAegagrus

Unread post by theCapraAegagrus »

Azazaaz wrote:Just opened my parcel coming from JuFiN!

A great selection of decks and the best part is that I didn't already have most of them.

For those of you who are curious, I think I can now give the details of the concents:
- 1 AoP / Stranger & Stranger Ultimate deck
- 1 Barclay Mountain Rise Of A Nation
- 1 Bicycle Expert Back red
- 1 Bicycle Zombified
- 1 Bocopo Art Of Cardistry Blue
- 1 Bocopo Blue Steel v1
- 1 Ellusionist Black Ghost Second Edition
- 1 Ellusionist Kings White
- 1 Ellusionist Roadhouse
- A set of Gaia playing cards (one day / one moonlight)
- 1 Stockholm 17 (ver.2) Bicycle Branded

So happy right now :D
Noice. S&S Ultimate Deck is awesome.
rousselle wrote:You are a fussy, picky guy.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
Räpylätassu wrote:"Tyhmyydestä sakotetaan." You get fined for being stupid.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

My decks from Diavoli just came in the mail safe and sound. Thanks so much for these wonderful decks.
Voodoo and Hypnotik.jpg
Voodoo and Hypnotik.jpg (19.55 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
:ugdance:
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
lightus

Unread post by lightus »

I have just received my prototype decks from guru! They looked great! Thank you, Sunish!
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

The first order for @pipchick submitted. It will be shipped directly by MPC. All other decks will be printed later this week or earlier next week (I don't want to mess up orders).

I'll print 8 decks (not 7 as planned).

Two winners have already seen some images ... but not Amy :lol: :lol: :lol: That's why please don't discuss project details here. Thanks!

p.s. I am happy with the outcome, but I'll never do it again. It's like printing fully custom deck at USPCC :uggrin:
Eric Lee
White Whale: Korchma Taras Bulba

Unread post by Eric Lee »

Lesson to be learnt: Never challenge Amy. Just like you never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line. :ugthink:

Don't have to pull out completely. Just offer a prototype like Guru did. Those are special enough. :D
phantom1412

Unread post by phantom1412 »

Just got the reward from Jodyeklund. Thank you very much!

montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eric Lee wrote:Lesson to be learnt: Never challenge Amy. Just like you never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line. :ugthink:
Agree! But it was fun!
Eric Lee wrote:Don't have to pull out completely. Just offer a prototype like Guru did. Those are special enough. :D
I don't need to print prototypes. I'll better spend a couple of days to make even more real 3D environment. Prototypes are the same decks printed by not so good printer, so why?
In this case I ******** **** and ****** and then *****. After *** I **** so yes, all good at the end. :lol: ( all I can say, you know :lol: )

p.s. I need 50%-70% less time to prepare and submit files to USPCC and print a deck there than print the same at MPC. So it was one-time fun (the real one, thanks Amy and UC!)
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

montenzi wrote:The first order for @pipchick submitted. It will be shipped directly by MPC. All other decks will be printed later this week or earlier next week (I don't want to mess up orders).

I'll print 8 decks (not 7 as planned).

Two winners have already seen some images ... but not Amy :lol: :lol: :lol: That's why please don't discuss project details here. Thanks!
I'm seriously so excited. :ugdance: So, just to clarify to everyone, montenzi was so incredibly kind to have PM'd me a long while ago, back before voting had even ended, to ask if I had any special requests in regards to adding personalized text and/or other customization in/on the tuck or on some of the cards themselves - even joking that he could change the name of the deck if I so wanted! :ugthink: lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, considering that this is a beyond generous gift/donation he's contributed to our DOTYs, I've left any and all decisions regarding this super special deck variant completely up to him with the utmost and quite literal blind faith in montenzi's incomparably talented hands as one of the best designers out there on one of my favorite decks/series - basically just told him to do whatever he wanted and go nuts because, regardless, this'll most certainly be one of my most cherished knowing that it's creation was largely just for us here at UC (like seriously guys - I'm still not over how super rad that is! lol :mrgreen: :ugdance: ) and am just thrilled that such a deck will even be printed at all. So anything beyond just a simple back recolor is already wwaaaayyy above any expectations I've had for this deck but I still wanna be surprised and haven't seen or discussed any changes made. Hell, I don't even know what shade of green these will be lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: So needless to say, I'm SUPER-DUPER excited!!! :mrgreen: :ugdance:
montenzi wrote:p.s. I am happy with the outcome, but I'll never do it again. It's like printing fully custom deck at USPCC :uggrin:
montenzi wrote:In this case I ******** **** and ****** and then *****. After *** I **** so yes, all good at the end. :lol: ( all I can say, you know :lol: )

p.s. I need 50%-70% less time to prepare and submit files to USPCC and print a deck there than print the same at MPC. So it was one-time fun

oh geeze! I'm really so so sooooo sorry to hear that it ended up taking so much time and work to get the deck ready for MPC - and all of this just for me/us! :shock: SORRY! :?

Honestly, before this event, I've personally never won any of those free decks from social media giveaways or anything of the like, so getting any deck - hell even the most basic bicycle riderback lol - would be a huge win for me and most certainly have been enough to get me excited :ugthink: :ugdance: :lol: so being that this wasn't quite as fast and easy as anyone had anticipated in preparing and submitting the files to get these decks printed for us, it's completely understandable that it may not something you'd be interested in ever doing again.

I'm just really glad to have won ya over in support of the event :mrgreen: lol and regardless of whether or not you chose to participate again in donating as a sponsor in this year's DOTYs, your engagement and all you do for us in the community is invaluable and truly appreciated! To be completely honest, anyone can donate a deck or few just one time a year for our biggest and most promoted event and I'd say it's generally quite easy to do so for many producers as it's probably not too dissimilar to placing any other order; but the industry insight you bring, the support you show in advocating for others, and the countless contributions you make all year round are what really make this community as awesome as it is and I'm super glad (as I'm sure many others around here are) to have gotten to know you in this strange corner of the internet :D lol Thanks montenzi for everything - you're true UC fam and know that we love ya! <3
Merlebird
White Whale: Moon Prism + Dondorf Saks
Decks Owned: 212

Unread post by Merlebird »

PipChick wrote:Hell, I don't even know what shade of green these will be lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: So needless to say, I'm SUPER-DUPER excited!!! :mrgreen: :ugdance:
Watch him pull the greatest bait-and-switch since Cottongate and just send us each a pack of Green Fontaines. :ugthink:
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote:
PipChick wrote:Hell, I don't even know what shade of green these will be lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: So needless to say, I'm SUPER-DUPER excited!!! :mrgreen: :ugdance:
Watch him pull the greatest bait-and-switch since Cottongate and just send us each a pack of Green Fontaines. :ugthink:
I would f^&*ing die laughing.

I would laugh too hard and for too long.
Lotrek wrote:Given the number of morons produced in the world every day, a pessimist is actually a well informed realist.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Bradius
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

And if there is any doubt about our evil cruelty, let it rest now in the abyss of Abaddon.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

You know... given all of the work necessary to run this special project through MPC, if Montenzi wants to run an extra copy to send to *me* and therefore cut his amortized effort in *half*, I'd be more than happy to take one for the team.

:)
This space intentionally left blank.
Timmargh
White Whale: Cartes Indiennes green back

Unread post by Timmargh »

I am Spartacus!*

(* I'll take one, too. Y'know, for the team.)
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

rousselle wrote:You know... given all of the work necessary to run this special project through MPC, if Montenzi wants to run an extra copy to send to *me* and therefore cut his amortized effort in *half*, I'd be more than happy to take one for the team.
:)
I had a request to sell my copy (7th), and I sold it (at cost). I am trying to keep promises, so seven decks were planned, one additional deck (8th) will go to the same buyer.

I can only print a couple more decks WITHOUT a box ONLY if @Merlebird and @Eric Lee say OK!

But I prefer to keep everything as is. It doesn't make any sense (for me) to sell such overpriced decks.

TwoPiece wrote: I would f^&*ing die laughing. I would laugh too hard and for too long.
Start now! :D
PipChick wrote:Hell, I don't even know what shade of green these will be lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: So needless to say, I'm SUPER-DUPER excited!!!
I think I am in trouble :lol: I can only confirm that this deck is ECO-friendly. Source: https://www.makeplayingcards.com/enviro ... endly.aspx
PipChick
White Whale: StrangeLove + Italian Cats
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by PipChick »

Merlebird wrote:
now even that I think would be too low for montenzi :lol:
montenzi wrote:
PipChick wrote:Hell, I don't even know what shade of green these will be lmao :lol: :lol: :lol: So needless to say, I'm SUPER-DUPER excited!!!
I think I am in trouble :lol: I can only confirm that this deck is ECO-friendly. Source: https://www.makeplayingcards.com/enviro ... endly.aspx
well played montenzi. well... played.... *slow clap* :lol: :lol: :lol:

excited nonetheless :mrgreen:
Merlebird

montenzi wrote:
TwoPiece wrote: I would f^&*ing die laughing. I would laugh too hard and for too long.
Dude, did montenzi just tell you to drop dead? :ugthink:
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote:
montenzi wrote:
Dude, did montenzi just tell you to drop dead? :ugthink:
Only if he wants to feel the wrath of Nidavellir's starry might obliterate him into a billion pieces.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
Merlebird

TwoPiece wrote:
Merlebird wrote:Dude, did montenzi just tell you to drop dead? :ugthink:
Only if he wants to feel the wrath of Nidavellir's starry might obliterate him into a billion pieces.
Cool, cool. Hey, where's BaconWise these days? I just thought of another vocabulary word. :uggrin:
theCapraAegagrus

Merlebird wrote:
TwoPiece wrote:
Merlebird wrote:Dude, did montenzi just tell you to drop dead? :ugthink:
Cool, cool. Hey, where's BaconWise these days? I just thought of another vocabulary word. :uggrin:
Not applicable, you cretin.
♥ ♦ Portfolio 52 Pro ♣ ♠
HFMJ

Unread post by HFMJ »

I also received my prize from Lorenzo. The half brick enclosed in the custom carat case looks awesome.
Thank you very much once again, Lorenzo! I love the Cartomancer variant. That foil has something about it :drool:
Attachments
IMG_20190408_223310.jpg
IMG_20190408_223326.jpg
IMG_20190408_223326.jpg (176.25 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
IMG_20190408_223356.jpg
IMG_20190408_223627.jpg