OATH'S PATREON -details

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
PiazzaDelivery

Re: OATH'S PATREON -details

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

brownsl wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:57 pm Has anyone else who ordered a White Patron still not receive a shipping email yet?
No, although I receive Lotrek shipping emails once every 8 orders.
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

If in the USA, you can sign up for / check USPS informed delivery. If he used regular mail for your package, it may show up there (mine did before I got any email from him)
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.
kevork
Collector: Yes
White Whale: NPCCD 17 Amethyst + Prototypes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by kevork »

brownsl wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:57 pm Has anyone else who ordered a White Patron still not receive a shipping email yet?
I haven't either, but Lotrek is currently on vacation, so shipments are on pause until he's back on the 30th.
KGthePrince wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:50 pm Did Silk Rule ever ship?
He did hint that it might ship along with White Patrons but that was never confirmed.
zlexander

Unread post by zlexander »

Soemone posted pictures of White Patrons that they have received so I believe the tracking number is for White Patrons Deck
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

zlexander wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:14 pm Soemone posted pictures of White Patrons that they have received so I believe the tracking number is for White Patrons Deck
That's what I'm envious about when it comes to Mystery III's eventual release. People in Europe will post pictures of it and the mystery will vanish before I can see it in person. I may need to hide under a rock temporarily during that time.

A bit hypocritical of me but here are the aforementioned pics from Facebook:
Screenshot_20240624_144020_Samsung Internet.jpg
Attachments
Screenshot_20240624_154258_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154306_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154323_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154333_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154342_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154355_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240624_154404_Samsung Internet.jpg
Bradius
Player: Yes
White Whale: I do not hunt whales
Decks Owned: 4129

Unread post by Bradius »

Dang! Thanks for sharing the photos. Maybe I better nab 5 more so I have a brick....
The Crazy Squirrel Deck Hunter - Hunt decks to extinction
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

I'm glad I don't feel anything when I see lotrek card pics, except maybe when I first saw Damask.
I'm glad I feel this way, otherwise I'll be in the rabbit hole with all you guys. :lol:
Adamthinks
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Adamthinks »

I have the redemption version of these and I'm glad I didn't go for the white. Not enough different for me to justify $60.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

Adamthinks wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:25 pm I have the redemption version of these and I'm glad I didn't go for the white. Not enough different for me to justify $60.
Fair. After all, that redemption version was slated to be the final one if it weren't for some minor issues. The average collector may be okay with just that one.
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

:roll: I think those Redemption decks were WAY cheaper. 55 Euro. Huge discount over 60 Euro.... :roll: (71 still available)

That said, I do understand why one version would be enough. I do get it. I really like the Redemption version with the slightly less well applied foil. I think it looks cool as is. However, when I can get some of his two-foil decks for 55-60 Euro, it is just hard for me to pass up. I only have two of his Sanctus decks when he had them for sale for $60....It still hurts...more nuts to gather.
Adamthinks

Bradius wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:53 pm :roll: I think those Redemption decks were WAY cheaper. 55 Euro. Huge discount over 60 Euro.... :roll:

That said, I do understand why one version would be enough. I do get it. I really like the Redemption version with the slightly less well applied foil. I think it looks cool as is. However, when I can get some of his two-foil decks for 55-60 Euro, it is just hard for me to pass up. I only have two of his Sanctus decks when he had them for sale for $60....It still hurts...more nuts to gather.
Lol. It wasn't the price, it was more that I didn't want to spend that when I already had one that's nearly the same. I open all my decks and am just not really interested in doubles.
wingedpotato
White Whale: Cardistry-Con Tally Ho 2018
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by wingedpotato »

Dang, I really like those courts!
"I have no response to that."

https://portfolio52.com/profile/1230
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

I just received some of my White Patrons. The backs look fantastic. The number cards look great. I do note that the foil impressions are bleeding through onto the face side, but not a big deal to me. The court cards though do have minor to major issues with the ink being removed due I think to the varnish application. I think Lotrek mentioned this and had to go through all these cards by hand to build these back, which was why these didn't make it to be the Patron's deck and were placed as a special release. Now that I remembered this, what I am seeing makes more sense. Anyway, I just thought I would mention to my OCD friends, this is not a perfect deck. Expect to see some flaws.

Ah, now that I just file that away. I like what I like and just deal with this isn't perfect. The courts looked great on the Redemption VI decks and the backs look great on the White Patrons. Glad I am not producing playing cards for a living.

Below is my best effort to show one of the courts that was the most imperfect in the deck I opened:

IMG_0791[1].JPG
It is just the court ink that appears to be the issue, not any of the other ink or the foil as best I noticed. You might see what appears to be an issue with the foil on the right side border, but that is just didn't come out great with my bad photograph.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

And if someone is nitpicky with the foil but really loves the courts, there's the Patrons Test Print from 2022 that would fit the bill for you. Wonderful deck.
Adamthinks

Hmm, i thought he said he had been able to sort them and eliminate the defective cards. Honestly that's pretty lame for that price.
Honeybee
White Whale: Hardcover S17 Anthology
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Honeybee »

Very lame - I have sent back cards to Isolated Thunderstorm for less
KoD - my initials, no wonder I grew up a lover of playing cards
Avatar - Honeybee (No.15+17) Tuck pic by Randy Butterfield for PM
CourtCurator

Unread post by CourtCurator »

I agree. For that price they should be flawless. Seems like they were better suited as a redemption deck. I regret ordering extras if that’s what I get.
PiazzaDelivery

Unread post by PiazzaDelivery »

oof. That does not look good. I don't think you need to nitpick at all to take issue with that. Wouldn't pass my QA test.

And yet, still excited to receive mine lol
"[...] But someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
https://www.portfolio52.com/profile/20093
Disenchanted_11

Unread post by Disenchanted_11 »

I know lotrek's doing some weird printing techniques or something, and that's what he's been known for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like something even WJPC can do without issues. Even Cartamundi could have done it back in their day and these would've been done and dusted already.
brownsl
White Whale: UUSI Le Jeu De Tarot
Decks Owned: 10000

Unread post by brownsl »

Yikes, that is not good at all. At that price, to be honest, that is unacceptable. Wish I had not bought 6.
crazy_lazy

Unread post by crazy_lazy »

Disenchanted_11 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:50 pm I know lotrek's doing some weird printing techniques or something, and that's what he's been known for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like something even WJPC can do without issues. Even Cartamundi could have done it back in their day and these would've been done and dusted already.
I like some of his decks mainly for the artwork. The "special techniques" don't feel that special to me. You're right, most big printers can do a lot of what Oath does: multiple foils on a single side, foiling to the edges, metallic inks. All on far superior stocks and frankly with better quality control. If the trademark Oath designs were printed by Legends or Cartamundi or hell even MPC, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

The only real advantage I think Oath has is using colored stock (sacrificing handling ability). There's only a couple instances where I genuinely liked this, however, so I can't say I really see the experimental value in Oath.
kevork

Unread post by kevork »

crazy_lazy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:43 am
Disenchanted_11 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:50 pm I know lotrek's doing some weird printing techniques or something, and that's what he's been known for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks like something even WJPC can do without issues. Even Cartamundi could have done it back in their day and these would've been done and dusted already.
I like some of his decks mainly for the artwork. The "special techniques" don't feel that special to me. You're right, most big printers can do a lot of what Oath does: multiple foils on a single side, foiling to the edges, metallic inks. All on far superior stocks and frankly with better quality control. If the trademark Oath designs were printed by Legends or Cartamundi or hell even MPC, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

The only real advantage I think Oath has is using colored stock (sacrificing handling ability). There's only a couple instances where I genuinely liked this, however, so I can't say I really see the experimental value in Oath.
I'm actually curious about these decks you guys speak of that have multiple hot foil applications. Point me in the direction where I can buy them please.
crazy_lazy

Unread post by crazy_lazy »

kevork wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:46 am

I'm actually curious about these decks you guys speak of that have multiple hot foil applications. Point me in the direction where I can buy them please.
I was thinking of the Successor and Tale of the Tempest decks when I made my comment. Certain editions from Cartamundi had both gold and silver foil faces, though they are not hot foil like Oath decks, and admittedly probably don’t look as shiny now that I consider hot vs cold foil application
Bradius

Unread post by Bradius »

That was my worst card. I am not saying the other court cards are perfect, but they are better in varying degrees. I think folks need to understand that because of how Lotrek prints, this does happen on the journey. I am honestly not upset and fine with my multiple copies. Also, keep in mind the courts are the cards that have any issue (and yeah I get it. They are the courts). The backs are stunning and the registration is right on target. The varnish has been a challenge for Lotrek on a number of occasions.

Anyway, to each their own. I still like the deck for what it is and not upset. Your mileage may vary.
montenzi
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by montenzi »

kevork wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:46 am I'm actually curious about these decks you guys speak of that have multiple hot foil applications. Point me in the direction where I can buy them please.
1. Big respect to Lotrek; he is just crazy (in a good way) for making his decks by hand. :D

2. I don't want to hijack this discussion, but here is some production insight: It's not a big deal to apply 3-4 hot foils on one side. It is challenging, but it depends on how much you are willing to pay. I only ordered 3 foil colors for Legendarium as I did not want to take risk with a new supplier. But if I had asked for 4-5 foils, they would have done it. By the way, they applied four foils on the box.

There is likely a difference when applying foil to non-playing-card stock, such as what Lotrek does, compared to special stock. I believe it is easier to achieve the desired structure for Lotrek decks, but there are some limitations, as durability is far worse on his stock. That's why there are more chances that WJPC or Kingstar can apply 4-5-6 foils without issues than Lotrek.

IMHO.
Harvonsgard
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Your Mami
Decks Owned: 420

Unread post by Harvonsgard »

Imprints and yet another printing flaw - I would have to check my instagram messages with Lotrék, to check how many years ago he told me he can handle those issues. Everyone is free to purchase how many decks they want and support the Greek wizard as much as they want but from my pov I can just shake my head to how even seasoned collectors still let this rubbish slip with a „well it‘s Lotrék, lol“. No wonder his old decks get sold for a ridiculous amount of money, because it looks like when you want to have a peak Lotrék deck, you have to go to the past.
You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that’s being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.

avatar credit: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔄𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢𝔯 by Gands the Scholar @g_a_n_d_s_

rousselle wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:52 pmI very much want this in my collection, but at long last... I have to stop the insanity.
Oneiros88

Unread post by Oneiros88 »

crazy_lazy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 2:31 am

I was thinking of the Successor and Tale of the Tempest decks when I made my comment. Certain editions from Cartamundi had both gold and silver foil faces, though they are not hot foil like Oath decks, and admittedly probably don’t look as shiny now that I consider hot vs cold foil application

I don’t have any Successor decks but I don’t think any of them have hot foil on the cards, they’re all cold foil, even the Dynastinae and Prism versions.

As for Tale of the Tempest, again, all cold foil except for the Dynastinae, Prism and the Wylenti editions which have hot foil (backs only on Wylenti but both sides for Dynastinae and Prism, but all three printed by Lotrek)
KingfisherZero

Unread post by KingfisherZero »

Theory11 did 2 colors with the Piracy deck off the top of my head. And the Exquisite Fortuna deck from EPCC/Thirdway featured three.
AKA "The Card Guy"

Subscribe for deck reviews galore! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Y-CG ... 7GFXMmULWA

IG: @TheCardGuyYT
GandalfPC
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Ambergris
Decks Owned: 1700

Unread post by GandalfPC »

The “dual hot foil” on piracy hardly compares to my eye…

IMG_1768.png

as for the other deck mentioned - I hoisted a screenshot of a quote from that thread:

IMG_1769.jpeg

and I would say, with no foil on faces and a geometric back perhaps favorable to the process that this deck does not quite match up to a lotrek upper end production - though it is priced at $299 and only 500 were “handmade”

IMG_1770.jpeg
IMG_1771.jpeg
Hunting Karl Gerich and Elaine Lewis

My collection and tradelist: http://gandalfpc.great-site.net
bdawg923
White Whale: bdawg x 923

Unread post by bdawg923 »

so to summarize multiple hot foils is almost the norm for lotrek while other producers do 1 or maybe 2 hot foils occasionally? Lotrek has probably done more multiple hot foil decks himself than every other card producer combined. I'm not a lotrek fanboy, but he's clearly the hot foil leader in the playing card space. I don't think anyone comes close.
This comment has been mod-approved since you are able to see it.