Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Re: The "Hey, look what I added to my collection!" thread

Unread post by CBJ »

ivan wrote:An interesting one from google. The Android deck? lol

Can't seem to find much info on it:

I won one of those on ebay back in Oct

CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

I have already posted here about an article about collecting playing cards" I wrote for MUM Magazine back in 2000/2001:
========== THE COVER ]==========

========== THE ARTICLE - PAGE 1 of 3 ]==========

========== THE ARTICLE - PAGE 2 of 3 ]==========

========== THE ARTICLE - PAGE 3 of 3 ]==========
My copy of the issue is most likely in a box out in our garage (the above scans were sent to me a year or two ago by someone at the magazine), and would be quite difficult to locate.

But look what I recently got on eBay:

CLICK TO VIEW LISTING

By the way, the "Sold For $19.99" is incorrect.

$19.99 was the minimum bid, "or best offer" - I offered $10.00, and it was accepted.
According to the tracking on USPS.com, it went out for delivery this morning from our local post office, so I should get it in today's mail - hooray!!
-Marcel Marceau
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Congrats RSL, nice article!
ricky.jpg
ricky.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Keep it Sizzlin'!
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Great article and more so, some beautiful samples provided. Wish I had a few of those decks.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
RSLancastr

th4mo wrote:Congrats RSL, nice article!
Thanks, th4!
chach wrote:Great article and more so, some beautiful samples provided. Wish I had a few of those decks.
Thanks, chach! It was certainly cool to see them in a magazine!

MOD EDIT: Merged posts. Remember that multiple posts can be quoted and posts can be edited to avoid double posting :ugeek:
-Marcel Marceau
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I Picked these up for the grand price of £1!

The box is pretty tatty, but the cards are ok - the ace code would date them 1914 ,1934 ,1954, 1974 or 1994 - (probably 1954)

What I didn't expect was an instruction sheet for The Wizards Pack of Cards - turns out it's a stripper. Is that unusual??
P1010683.jpg
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Joe, does the Steamboot 999 deck have the joker? It's one of the hardest to find, because it was often either discarded or given (taken?) by black Americana collectors.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Sadly not :(
chach

Unread post by chach »

th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

@Chach
rothfuss thumbs up.jpg
Keep it Sizzlin'!
RSLancastr

Everyone:

Should I continue posting my "from the vault" posts in this thread/topic, with 'grids' of decks I added to my collection some time ago?

The name of this thread/topic is 'the "Hey, look what I added to my collection!" thread', but most of us post as though the title was 'the "Hey, look what I RECENTLY added to my collection!" thread', and I have mostly posted in that spirit as well, but, between:
  • my not having the funds for much in the way of new purchases, and
  • my recently gaining access to the boxes containing my collection,
...I thought that my creating and posting here scans/grids of some of my not-so-recent acquisitions would still fall under the topic, and might be enjoyable for some of you as well.

A few months ago I created a separate thread/topic '"Hey, look what I added to my collection a long time ago!" thread' for such posts, but it didn't gain much traction/response - possibly because I had yet to gain access to my collection then.

So I am asking here, should I:
  • Continue posting my "from the vault" scans/grids in this thread/topic, or
  • Create a separate "From RSLancastr's vault" (or whatever I would name it) thread/topic for them, or
  • Something else (please explain).
FYI: I have already asked UC management about this, and was told that there is no problem with my continuing to post those "from the vault" scans/grids in this thread/topic, but I feel that if it is bothering a lot of you, I will do something else regardless of management's approval of what I am currently doing.

Respectfully,

-RSL
-Marcel Marceau
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

RSLancastr wrote:
Should I continue posting my "from the vault" posts in this thread/topic, with 'grids' of decks I added to my collection some time ago?
I enjoy seeing them here. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Becky C

Unread post by Becky C »

I like them here and I look forward to them.
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

I really think they should go in another thread.

I started this thread to see NEW additions to members collections. I suggest you start a thread about your massive collection.
It seems like people want to see it, but this is the wrong thread for it.

Jay
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
samurai007

Unread post by samurai007 »

I like seeing it as it's something different from the "I got the latest hot cards that everyone else is getting now too" (no offense to anyone). There's always something in your posts that I haven't see before.

That said, it likely won't be long until you are the "Collector of the month" and then you'll have your own thread where you can post your favorite decks, recently unearthed treasures you'd forgotten you had, etc. If you feel they don't necessarily fit into this thread, they'll certainly fit there. Heck, you could start your own thread now and have it moved to that forum when you become "CotM"

Also, to speed things up and make it easier, you might just lay out a grid of 9 cards (or 8 + the tuckbox) on the scanner and do it that way. It may not be as neat as scanning every card, writing the code to put them in a line, etc, but it'd be much easier on you, I think. Doesn't matter if every card is perfectly lined up, etc. That's what I've been doing down in the Worldwide cards forum, if you want to see examples of what I mean.
chach

Unread post by chach »

Personally I'd say that if anything the thread is mislabeled. I'd rather have one place to check back through and reference for people showing off bits of their collection than having to scan the whole forum and possibly missing a thread where someone wants to show off one deck that they got a few years back. I like the way the Plethora has it labeled, "Show off your Collection / Your newest acquisitions" sounds neater IMO, keeping everything of the same subject in one place.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

chach wrote:Personally I'd say that if anything the thread is mislabeled. I'd rather have one place to check back through and reference for people showing off bits of their collection than having to scan the whole forum and possibly missing a thread where someone wants to show off one deck that they got a few years back. I like the way the Plethora has it labeled, "Show off your Collection / Your newest acquisitions" sounds neater IMO, keeping everything of the same subject in one place.
With how big this thread has gotten, I would personally prefer a separation. The new and the old are usually displayed in a very different way, new acquisitions are snapped quickly to be showed off right out of the package while existing pieces of collections usually have a bit more time and effort behind them (display case or scans). Seems like a very natural divide to me.

Two threads instead of one isn't going to make it that much harder to find, and we can always sticky them.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Hey RS, I would have to go with Jay and MF in that the older collection items are off-topic and need to go elsewhere. Perhaps in their own thread since you have so much to contribute. :)
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
RSLancastr

samurai007 wrote:Also, to speed things up and make it easier, you might just lay out a grid of 9 cards (or 8 + the tuckbox) on the scanner and do it that way. It may not be as neat as scanning every card, writing the code to put them in a line, etc, but it'd be much easier on you, I think. Doesn't matter if every card is perfectly lined up, etc. That's what I've been doing down in the Worldwide cards forum, if you want to see examples of what I mean.
Thanks for the suggestion, but there areat least a couple of reasons I don't do it the way you suggest:
  • It would be EXCEEDINGLY DIFFICULT for me to lay out the cards on my scanner like that. My scanner is up on a hutch attached to my desk, so the bottom of it is at about shoulder height for me (remember, I'm always seated in my wheelchair). Reaching up with my right hand (my only functioning hand), opening the scanner, placing all seven cards and the tuck on the scanner's bed and getting them to STAY where I place them (the scanner is designed so that the bed is tilted down towards the front, so the cards would all tend to slide forward) and working the software (again, all with just the one hand) would be a nightmare, if even possible, and
  • Having each card in its own graphics file gives me many more options when it comes to displaying them (rather than just how they were laid out on the scanner for some "group scan". I did not do the scans for the purpose of displaying my decks here on UC. That was just a bonus. No, I scanned them to eventually use on my revival of my old playing card web site, where each individual card will be viewable separate from the others. I could not do that if I only had a "group scan" of them.
But thanks for the idea!

-RSL
But
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Also, thanks to those who expressed an opinion on my "where should I post my 'from the vault' scans" question.

My current thoughts on it (subject to change) are that I wil add any future "from the vault" scans/grids to my "Look what I added to my collection years ago" thread, and will only add scans/grids here of decks I have acquired only recently (I have two ready and three or four more are "in the mail").

My apologies to anyone who this may inconvenience, and my apologies to CBJ and any others who felt that my "vault" posts in this thread were "off topic".

As you were,

-RSL
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Here's a recent eBay acquisition:

==========[ BulldogSqueezers ]==========

This is a modern reproduction by USPCC of a deck of some historic interest/importance to playing card collectors:

Prior to the 1880s, playing cards had no indices (the small indication in a card's upper-left and lower-right corners revealing the card's suit and denomination).

Indices allow a player to identify all of the cards in their hand by merely fanning them until the indices show.

Before indices, a player had to look at the full face of every card in their hand to see their values.

When the idea of indices was first introduced, their usefulness was immediately apparent, and the buying public wanted decks with the indices pre-printed on the cards.

Playing card publishers rushed to meet this demand, with several methods competing for dominance in the marketplace.

The two indexing methods most popular with the public were:

• "Triplicates" - where the index was a tiny image of the face of the card (named "Triplicates" because viewing the face of the card revealed THREE images of it - the two tiny indices AND the face of the card itself!)
  • "Squeezers" - where the index was a pip of the card's suit, along with a letter (JQKA) or number (2345678910) indicating the card's denomination/rank. These were trademarked "Squeezers" because the indices allowed a player to keep the cards in his/her hand "squeezed" together (lightly fanned) rather than spread out, as was common with non-indexed cards.

These two standards battled for dominance in the marketplace, similar to modern-day marketplace "standards battles" such as Macintosh/Windows or VHS/Betamax.

In an agreement which would be illegal today, the trademark-holders of the two standards divided the USA into sales territories in which only one or the other company would sell their decks.

The image on the back of this deck was originally a newspaper comic which made light of this situation. In it, two bulldogs - one named "TRIP" and one named "SQUEEZER" are snarling at each other while each is chained to their own doghouse.

The "Squeezers" standard eventually won out (obviously), partly because its indices were far easier to read at a glance than were those of the "Triplicates" standard. If you ever happen upon an old "Triplicates" deck, you'll see just how true this is.
-Marcel Marceau
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

RSLancastr wrote:Also, thanks to those who expressed an opinion on my "where should I post my 'from the vault' scans" question.

My current thoughts on it (subject to change) are that I wil add any future "from the vault" scans/grids to my "Look what I added to my collection years ago" thread, and will only add scans/grids here of decks I have acquired only recently (I have two ready and three or four more are "in the mail").

My apologies to anyone who this may inconvenience, and my apologies to CBJ and any others who felt that my "vault" posts in this thread were "off topic".

As you were,

-RSL
No need of apologies... You are welcome ;-)
My collection
The French Touch with english grammatical errors copyrighted by myself
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am going to be scarce for a few days due to a family problem, but before I head out on the road here are a couple of goodies that came in the mail today. Ellusionist Artifice mini decks and a pair of "Black Club" gold Artifice decks.
Attachments
tmp_20140227_142016-1-339962944.jpg
tmp_20140227_142442-1-1-66312017.jpg
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr

Artifice minis? Nice!
-Marcel Marceau
CBJ

Unread post by CBJ »

I need me some artifice minis!
CBJ

dazzleguts

The Art minis are supposed to be of the same quality as the full size ones, so not printed in China?
Worldwide Time Machine

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

dazzleguts wrote:The Art minis are supposed to be of the same quality as the full size ones, so not printed in China?
Well, since I only got one set of each of the 5, all I can tell you is what I can see without removing the cellophane: "Printed by Ellusionist Playing Card Co", "San Rafael CA". They were less than $5 each and I had about a $3 credit on my account, so I paid about $30 including shipping to get all five.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

dazzleguts

Thanks Mike. Did you get the bundle deal for $20?

I hemmed and hawed over these for a while. Left them in my shopping cart and E sent me 2 reminders that the bundle was sitting there. The second reminder came with a %10 discount on my purchase so I finally bit the bullet. Really glad they are still doing regular USPS shipping to Canada.

Now it's going to be that much harder to have the money ready when the Grotesque comes due. I must be crazy.
Worldwide Time Machine

RSLancastr

dazzleguts wrote:Now it's going to be that much harder to have the money ready when the Grotesque comes due. I must be crazy.

Shhhhhhh!! (Some of us don't realize we're in the asylum!)
-Marcel Marceau