Art of Play - 25 days of Christmas

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Cbkimble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 363

Art of Play - 25 days of Christmas

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd start one.

Today is a 30% off code: DECKTHEHALLS

I'd love to get that Ultimate deck uncut but even with 30% it's $35. Not sure if I'll grab one or not. Shipping is $13.50.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Re: Art of Play - 25 days of Christmas

Unread post by Marcus »

Cbkimble wrote:I didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd start one.

Today is a 30% off code: DECKTHEHALLS

I'd love to get that Ultimate deck uncut but even with 30% it's $35. Not sure if I'll grab one or not. Shipping is $13.50.
The discount is only valid for Deckstarter decks and uncuts, not for all decks unfortunately.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Cbkimble

Re: Art of Play - 25 days of Christmas (wap)

Today get free US shipping with code SHIPFREE.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Cbkimble

Bruce Lee deck only $2 today using code DRAGON. Limit one per customer.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Ordered a Bruce Lee deck today. I know it's not everybody's favorite but I like it and for $2 ($6 with shipping) you can't complain. Too bad they only allow you to get one. Within 30 seconds of placing the order, I received notice that it had been shipped. Wow, D&D have their elves working hard this season.
Cbkimble

Yeah, I've made 2 or 3 orders and they ship immediately.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Nothing I've seen yet that makes me want to jump on yet though those $2 Bruce Lee decks were kind of tempting.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I find the daily shipping extremely annoying (not to mention wasteful) :evil: ...AoP should provide the option to purchase all their products throughout the promotional period and them ship everything at once. It's not like that they make much on shipping (if any)...it actually discourages me from making purchases (I am sure others feel the same)...if they let us accumulate stuff, I think it would bring in more revenues (I, at least, would have bought more stuff) :roll:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Cbkimble

I jumped on some mystery decks and the Bruce Lee deck. Paying multiple shipping charges is a negative but, for the Bruce Lee deck anyway, $6 shipped is much better than $15 + shipping.
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

I agree with Shermjack and this has pretty much turned me off most of their stuff. I think I only got the Emerald Hollingworth so far so that I can have the complete set to sell at some point in time. Don't think I got anything else. Don't want to pay shipping every other day.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

This thread is funny to me, made me laugh. I don't agree with Victor and Shermjack at all. I think AoP is doing a pretty cool thing with their 25 days of Christmas. I would go so far as to say it's the coolest Christmas deal this year. It's easy to understand not everyone will ever be happy with any kind of deal happening but this is akin to the old $10 bill in a brown paper bag story. :lol:
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Fes wrote:This thread is funny to me, made me laugh. I don't agree with Victor and Shermjack at all. I think AoP is doing a pretty cool thing with their 25 days of Christmas. I would go so far as to say it's the coolest Christmas deal this year. It's easy to understand not everyone will ever be happy with any kind of deal happening but this is akin to the old $10 bill in a brown paper bag story. :lol:
What makes me unhappy is the cost and waste going into shipping out decks or other things every day...does that not bother you Fez? I mean, don't get me wrong, I am no saint when it comes to the environment, but using multiple packages on multiple occassions and all the resources to get it from one place to another just doesn't sit well with me when the alternative could be one package and one shipment...also, I said it should be an option, one in my opinion that would actually generate more bottom line revenue for them. Anyways, just mho. :D

P.S. Not familiar with the brown paper bag story...can you fill me in?

Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

shermjack wrote:
Fes wrote:This thread is funny to me, made me laugh. I don't agree with Victor and Shermjack at all. I think AoP is doing a pretty cool thing with their 25 days of Christmas. I would go so far as to say it's the coolest Christmas deal this year. It's easy to understand not everyone will ever be happy with any kind of deal happening but this is akin to the old $10 bill in a brown paper bag story. :lol:
What makes me unhappy is the cost and waste going into shipping out decks or other things every day...does that not bother you Fez? I mean, don't get me wrong, I am no saint when it comes to the environment, but using multiple packages on multiple occassions and all the resources to get it from one place to another just doesn't sit well with me when the alternative could be one package and one shipment...also, I said it should be an option, one in my opinion that would actually generate more bottom line revenue for them. Anyways, just mho. :D

P.S. Not familiar with the brown paper bag story...can you fill me in?
Penn did a bit on it on the show Bullshit! years ago. It goes like this. Him and Teller could stand on a street corner of a busy street handing out brown paper bags with a $10 bill inside of them. No matter that it's a free $10 just for walking buy, someone would complain it wasn't $100. Emphasizing the point no matter what the deal is, no matter how good the deal is, no matter that's absolutely free money, someone is always going to complain. Pretty funny show if you want to check it out sometime. Although, if you're a fan of the History Channel's Ancient Aliens though yea I would say skip Bullshit! Probably wouldn't like it in that case. ;)

No it doesn't bother me that they're shipping daily. Those planes, trains, and automobiles are going to be moving daily anyway. The impact of my purchase, even if I did buy something on each of those 25 days, would be minimal at best. The machine doesn't stop simply because I choose to not buy a deck of playing cards, nor does the machine grow because I do buy a deck of playing cards. UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, Royal Mail, DHL, etc, will still be moving products to our neighbors each and every day. The only exception to this is if someone was to live somewhere that it's a very unusual situation that a package is delivered. Maybe smack dab in the middle of the Sahara or something. In which case, I seriously doubt they would be playing card collectors since this is a purely luxury hobby. :P It actually bothers me more that people stick Z's in my name when their aren't any haha. :lol:

I understand what you're saying about the option. I still disagree though. I would never ask anyone who's doing something cool like AoP is with their 25 days of Christmas, to do more work and hope like hell there are no issues involved later. Storing decks and shipping them out at the end of the twenty five days is a lot of room for mistakes to be made. The other side of changing the deals to a different format of "here's our 25 days of Christmas list" removes the fun of each day being a new deal or cool gift. Both options undermine what they're doing and the cool effect it has. Most retailers want to have a clean, quick and professional shipping department where already purchased merchandise do not stack up in bins to be shipped at a later date. Most retailers also don't want to remove the discovery factor they've laid into a timeline. It's usually a planned out experience they're trying to give their customers. There is a certain amount of self generating hype that their event creates, shipping argument aside for just a moment, I think you probably have enjoyed seeing what's next each day yourself. In my opinion the format has been a fantastic addition to the holiday deals we see from our various favorite retailers.

Though really, they're all great because they're all above and beyond what's usually being offered. Fun for all no matter which retailer is chosen is a great thing. I don't find your opinion particularly upsetting or anything, I enjoyed the laugh. My view is just different. :)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Penn did a bit on it on the show Bullshit! years ago. It goes like this. Him and Teller could stand on a street corner of a busy street handing out brown paper bags with a $10 bill inside of them. No matter that it's a free $10 just for walking buy, someone would complain it wasn't $100. Emphasizing the point no matter what the deal is, no matter how good the deal is, no matter that's absolutely free money, someone is always going to complain. Pretty funny show if you want to check it out sometime. Although, if you're a fan of the History Channel's Ancient Aliens though yea I would say skip Bullshit! Probably wouldn't like it in that case. ;)
I think I remember seeing that now...thanks for clarifying the reference ;)
Those planes, trains, and automobiles are going to be moving daily anyway. The impact of my purchase, even if I did buy something on each of those 25 days, would be minimal at best. The machine doesn't stop simply because I choose to not buy a deck of playing cards, nor does the machine grow because I do buy a deck of playing cards. UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, Royal Mail, DHL, etc, will still be moving products to our neighbors each and every day.

My gut feeling tells me that despite the fact that the planes, trains and automobiles are moving everyday and packages are being delivered to neighbours and such, shipping a few packages over a couple weeks time to the same destination is still more costly in terms of resources used than just sending one package, but as I don't have any concrete evidence to refute this argument, I will leave it at that. 8-) I do know that shipping in multiple shipments vs one does create more packing waste as well as effort to pack and prepare the shipments.
I understand what you're saying about the option. I still disagree though. I would never ask anyone who's doing something cool like AoP is with their 25 days of Christmas, to do more work and hope like hell there are no issues involved later. Storing decks and shipping them out at the end of the twenty five days is a lot of room for mistakes to be made. Most retailers want to have a clean, quick and professional shipping department where already purchased merchandise do not stack up in bins to be shipped at a later date.
This is not a valid argument, as my many years experience running various warehouses has taught me. It is quite simple for any order management system to store and accumulate all items ordered under one account until the order is ready to be picked and shipped. It is actually more efficient and cost effective to do it this way as well as the fact that it reduces error as you are not packing and shipping a number of times, just once.
The other side of changing the deals to a different format of "here's our 25 days of Christmas list" removes the fun of each day being a new deal or cool gift. Both options undermine what they're doing and the cool effect it has. Most retailers also don't want to remove the discovery factor they've laid into a timeline. It's usually a planned out experience they're trying to give their customers. There is a certain amount of self generating hype that their event creates, shipping argument aside for just a moment, I think you probably have enjoyed seeing what's next each day yourself. In my opinion the format has been a fantastic addition to the holiday deals we see from our various favorite retailers.
I don't see how my option would spoil any 'fun' of anticipation or 'cool effect' (which I personally don't think is anything special, it is just a type of promotion technique, but that's just me ;) )...you still have to wait everyday to see what is the 'special of the day'...the fact that they send it immediately after you order as opposed a couple days or weeks after you order will not make the receiving of the package any more exciting as you already know what you are getting. If you want to argue that you like opening up a new package everyday, then I have nothing to say as it is just a personal preference in the end. I find other retailer promotions much more exciting and my purchases have actually reflected my opinions.
I don't find your opinion particularly upsetting or anything, I enjoyed the laugh. My view is just different. :)

Ditto and agree that all are entitled to their own view and opinion! :ugdance:

As for misspelling your name, I sincerely apologize, it was unintentional :oops:

Happy Holidays to you! :ugthink:

Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

Today it's Dan & Dave's Private Reserve for $50......while supplies last!!!
Gareth

Unread post by Gareth »

Talisman wrote:Today it's Dan & Dave's Private Reserve for $50......while supplies last!!!
A "Never sold" deck :). Obviously its not on "D&D"'s website.... so that's ok I guess.

At the same time you know they're making a killing from decks that probably cost in the $7-10 range (if that) to make., but they go for more in the secondary market. So value is in the eyes of the beholder I guess.
Trungbreezy
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by Trungbreezy »

Talisman wrote:Today it's Dan & Dave's Private Reserve for $50......while supplies last!!!
They're still selling the Private Reserves outside of their 25 days of Christmas. =/
Instagram: @sj_cardcollector
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Bah humbug, nothing excited me.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586