Edgy Brothers Royal House Playing Cards FUNDED

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
edgybros
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Edgy Brothers Royal House Playing Cards Relaunch live on

Unread post by edgybros »

also, we made five more available of the four rose decks plus two gilded tier. enjoy!
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

There are only 3 days left and this project is only funded 90%. Seems like the Edgy Brothers are Kickstarter cursed. I hope it funds, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Cbkimble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Don't forget about those that will check it out once it hits the 48 hour mark. Usually there's a surge at that point. There are also some that may increase their pledges to try to get it to fund. $1500 isn't really very much that is needed.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
JazzVox

Unread post by JazzVox »

Yup - would agree with Cbkimble - $1500 isn't that far away. I'm betting it will get funded. Some peeps support early. Some only at the end once they look at their bank account and see if the project will likely get funded. Go Edgy, Go Edgy.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Hope it goes beyond the goal though. I remember them saying something along the lines of needing not only to fund but to go beyond the goal the get out of the red.
Cbkimble

I don't understand why creators do that, create a project and set the funding goal below the red line. I understand they'll make some back with after KS sales but why put yourself in a hole in the first place. Don't set your goal lower than what you need to at least break even. Then later sales will be all profit.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Cbkimble wrote:I don't understand why creators do that, create a project and set the funding goal below the red line. I understand they'll make some back with after KS sales but why put yourself in a hole in the first place. Don't set your goal lower than what you need to at least break even. Then later sales will be all profit.

Fair enough, but Edgy Bros have been very transparent about their numbers and about their thinking. They know where they will be making up the money on the back-end.

Still, I agree with Eoghann that I hope this deck is more successful than just getting by.
This space intentionally left blank.
edgybros
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by edgybros »

hey guys, just wanted to check in and address the funding goal question. our funding goal for royal house represents a break even point. in the past, we've set our goals too low (without knowing it) and ended up in the red, having to do a lot of wholesale and merch sales to be profitable. in this case, we wanted to correct that, but it meant a higher goal and that's why we posted a blog entry to discuss it. we could've made it lower and hoped to make it up in the aftermarket but we're trying to avoid that and use kickstarter for what it's intended - cover your costs, and earn a profit in the after market, not get to even.

that said, we're crossing our fingers that we'll get there. we've got plans for the few decks we'll have in inventory one we're funded, so they should represent a nice investment for collectors. no matter what happens, we'll do another blog post to talk about the experience and share our thoughts about where we see the market going, and what our role might be in it.
sms69x
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Well it's a shame to see this one so close but eventually not getting funded.
All aspects of the deck are great, nice back design, beautiful courts, striking tuck case, so why this one won't fund?
For me it's due to competition, first Grotesk and Le Chat Rouge, and now Black Diamond. Other important aspect is the Int'l shipping, $12 for one deck? and then for every other deck another $2, well I guess you have very few international supporters, and you should, with those prices for shipping, no int'l backer should pledge for your project, there are other KS projects wiht better int'l shipping rates!

Wish you the best of lucks!
daveEdgerly
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by daveEdgerly »

Unfortunately, our shipping numbers are accurate. We break down our numbers here:
http://edgybrothers.com/Edgy_Brothers/B ... oyal_House_(and_Why_We_Set_Our_Funding_Goal_Where_We_Did" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).html

The USPS charges $12 to ship one deck of playing cards to most European countries from the US. It's $14 for 2 decks and so on. Other creators can charge less if they want to, but we can't afford to continue to lose money on KS projects that fund. International backers make up an average of 25% of the backers on our campaigns, but account for 66% of the shipping budget. For example, Mardi Gras playing cards had roughly 400 backers, 107 of which were international. It cost me a total of $3000 to fulfill that project. Of that $3000, $2000 of it was spent on international shipping. Because I didn't charge enough for international shipping on that KS project, I ultimately lost money.
We wanted to make sure with the narrow profit margins on Royal House that we were at break even if and when we funded.
We are thankful for your support on Royal House and with 33 hours left we hope that it will fund.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

So you confirm that int'l backers have to pay for int'l shipping plus the already built in the deck price domestic shipping? Great consideration you have for those 25% of backers.
SpecialK

Unread post by SpecialK »

sms69x wrote:So you confirm that int'l backers have to pay for int'l shipping plus the already built in the deck price domestic shipping? Great consideration you have for those 25% of backers.
You may want to go check the project. For a single deck it is $11 + shipping. +$3 for US, +$12 for UK. That seems to be exactly in line with what he said. For 4 decks it's $5 US and $18 UK. Doesn't seem built in to me.

Regardless, shipping international seems to suck for both int'l backer and the creator.
sms69x

Unread post by sms69x »

SpecialK wrote:
sms69x wrote:So you confirm that int'l backers have to pay for int'l shipping plus the already built in the deck price domestic shipping? Great consideration you have for those 25% of backers.
You may want to go check the project. For a single deck it is $11 + shipping. +$3 for US, +$12 for UK. That seems to be exactly in line with what he said. For 4 decks it's $5 US and $18 UK. Doesn't seem built in to me.

Regardless, shipping international seems to suck for both int'l backer and the creator.
Thank you for that info. Wasn't aware the that the domestic shipping wasn't included in the base price.
It seems a bit higher price still.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

In the US, Shipping goes up Every Single Year. It never gets lower, it only gets higher. The plus side is, they do a really good job of shipping now. It's not like it used to be at all. Even so, it's a pain we all have to live with. The lowest I have been able to send two decks to the UK was $12 and change something like .37 cents. That's with right sized packaging and all the ducks in a row. It's just not cheap but it is pretty speedy! That's a pretty nice upside I think. ;)
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Jazzman99

Unread post by Jazzman99 »

Very pleased to see the project cross the $13K mark with eight hours to go, and hopefully it will go higher yet before the clock runs out. I really like the court cards in this deck.
My small but growing collection: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images
Cbkimble

All of the sudden is increased over $1300. Sounds quite suspicious.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Cbkimble wrote:All of the sudden is increased over $1300. Sounds quite suspicious.
:lol:

Maybe everyone added an extra deck.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
JazzVox

Unread post by JazzVox »

Congrats, Edgybros! :-) I was ever so happy when I got the email my card was charged - haha. :-) Woot. Go Edgy, Go Edgy, Go!
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Cbkimble wrote:All of the sudden is increased over $1300. Sounds quite suspicious.
Almost every time this seemed to have happened in the past it's been a large after-market retailer buying up a gross or whatnot. Either way this was a beautiful deck and I'm glad it will see the light of day.
4.of.Clubs

Re: Edgy Brothers Royal House Playing Cards FUNDED

Unread post by 4.of.Clubs »

So got these in the mail, however, the gilded decks are usually thicker and heavier. The Gold gilded deck I received is the same weight the thickness as the Rose deck... Anyone opened the gilded deck?
----------> Check out the decks I have for sale! <----------
----------> Also check out my Trade List and Wish List, maybe we can make a deal! <----------
hawk199

Re: Edgy Brothers Royal House Playing Cards FUNDED

Unread post by hawk199 »

4.of.Clubs wrote:So got these in the mail, however, the gilded decks are usually thicker and heavier. The Gold gilded deck I received is the same weight the thickness as the Rose deck... Anyone opened the gilded deck?
Hmm will open mine once i receive it because i spent $60+ (my currency for it XD) :oops: