BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
DragonSoul
Collector: Yes

Re: BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck

Unread post by DragonSoul »

Love the new Queen of Clubs! I wasn't crazy about the blood covering the head of the old QoH but, something seems off about the new one's arms. I actually liked her body/dress design much better before. It seems like it would still work with a heart in the hand and the new head. Either way, I like how this is shaping up!
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

DragonSoul wrote:Love the new Queen of Clubs! I wasn't crazy about the blood covering the head of the old QoH but, something seems off about the new one's arms. I actually liked her body/dress design much better before. It seems like it would still work with a heart in the hand and the new head. Either way, I like how this is shaping up!

Have to agree. The bottom arm looks slightly rounded and unnatural. The arm should take precedence than the art...
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-10-07 22.16.44.png
Screenshot 2015-10-07 22.16.44.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
RussellSprouts
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

What about Olivia Keswick?
I'll keep trying!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 34

Unread post by 52Ravens »

jsantafe wrote:What about Olivia Keswick? I'll keep trying!
That ones good with me

DragonSoul wrote:something seems off about the new one's arms
I can sort of see what you mean, I'll take a look, but I was pretty happy haha

Anyone else getting a strange vide from the QoH arms?
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

re: the QoH arms. I think there are two kind of funky things going on. There's a wrinkle in the flesh of the... oh, just realized that's the armpit. I see now. It looks to me like the armpit line is a wrinkle made by the reflection's elbow. The fact that the reflection's elbow fits perfectly into the negative space between her arm and ribcage is not clear. Shading could help with that, but it wouldn't be consistent with your other courts. As she is right now, she's a very thin woman. If she were a wider woman, you could get rid of the armpit line and make the neckline of the dress curve up on the left side instead of down. That might help the alleged "weirdness"

Would Beatrice Baker work better for you?
-Ben
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Once you adjust your eyes to it, you can clearly make out the armpit and the sleeve of the other arm and everything is proportioned. Just an optical illusion. Maybe giving her long sleeves to tell things apart easier?
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Eoghann wrote: Maybe giving her long sleeves to tell things apart easier?
Or maybe take the shawl off and have her right arm on [where] her hip [would be]!
-Ben
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

52Ravens - The arm is a bit to rounded here. Doesn't look natural. Hide the elbow in the first elbow. I like the theme of all femmes. The Kings need to be special...
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-10-08 19.37.55.png
Screenshot 2015-10-08 19.37.55.png (9.84 KiB) Viewed 2846 times
RussellSprouts
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

blejanre wrote:funky things going on
Eoghann wrote:optical illusion
I can see it now! For me, as I created it, I can see past the illusion as I know what I'm looking for. I think I'll pull up the shawl a little so that it covers the armpit and joins up with the the top of the dress. Want to try and leave the shawl hanging off the shoulder as I like the heart tattoo there :D

Thanks for talking that issue out :)
blejanre wrote:Beatrice Baker
That names fine with me ;)
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The update QoH here, a subtle change but hopefully it no longer confuses the eye, espcally if you hadn't seen the other version.

Thanks for all your input, the Kings will be coming next.

Remember that if you have offered help please feel free to submit a name for one of the courts. As previously mentioned, they need to be old english names and not ladies or duchess as it would be a state of emergency if 12 titled women got turned into vampires. So feel free to post a name you would like to use, pending terms and conditions, and my final approval. Check this out for a laugh or if you get stuck, most of these will pass http://fantasynamegenerators.com/posh-names.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/qoh-v3.jpg
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

This QoH looks a bit too cartoonish. Possibly partly because it kind of looks like Daphne from Scooby-Doo, but maybe more the sweet smile and overall look isn't evil enough. I think we already discussed removing the flower, but it may help here.
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Below are the finished Kings. Not as feral as I think we discussed but hopefully still heading that way more than the others.

I did try to make them more monster-like but it just wasn't working for me. The design on the faces throughout is quiet light but as soon as I over did it to make them more feral it looked messy. So they now sit somewhere between the two ideas.

The Kings are now all dying, which then subtly reveals the monster within. Claws, pointy ears, tears and veins are the main focus, along with the the hint of their own black blood. As though our mystery vampire hunter has caught up with them.

With the KoH (I'm sure its been done before) she is killing her opposite self, which got me thinking that these could be twins, killing each other in a 'suicide' kind of way. I've got a feeling that I'll have to do a little booklet to go with these which tells the mini story of each of the vampires. What do you think?

Does anyone else feel that the new QoH looks too cartoonish compared to the others? If so I'll have another look.

Remember that if you have offered help please feel free to submit a name for one of the courts. As previously mentioned, they need to be old english names and not ladies or duchess as it would be a state of emergency if 12 titled women got turned into vampires. So feel free to post a name you would like to use, pending terms and conditions, and my final approval. Check this out for a laugh or if you get stuck, most of these will pass http://fantasynamegenerators.com/posh-names.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it. Now onto the back design haha, I so should have that finished already!

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/kings-1.jpg
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I really love what you've done with them! Great work!

This goes off the beaten path of traditional vampire lore, but you could say they've been poisoned by the hunter with Dead Man's Blood. A little nod to the Winchesters.

The veins seem a little too faded, they blend into the background a bit. Perhaps making them darker or more pronounced? They also seem a bit random and not very organic in relation to the body. Particularly in the KODs neck and KOSs shoulder. I'd suggest glancing at a diagram of the lymphatic system. Afterall, I they've been poisoned that's usually the one to kick into high gear to fight off the disease.
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Damn, those kings are killer. They actually scared me as I scrolled down. (not joking) The only thing I would consider changing is the veins, as Eoghann mentioned. Maybe not even darker, just more natural looking.

These are excellent though, I think you hit the perfect level of feral. They are desperate and full of hate and suffering.
-Ben
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

52Ravens - Your Kings are special. The ear gives it away. :nostar: :ucstar: :ucstar:
RussellSprouts
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I think the Kings look great, but even though I like the KoH, she seems out of place with the other Kings (not savage enough)...both the QoH and KoH don't seem scary enough to me and still feel that showing a little teeth and maybe a pointed ear (KoH) might enhance the look.
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eoghann wrote:They also seem a bit random and not very organic in relation to the body.
blejanre wrote:The only thing I would consider changing is the veins
Totally agree here. They are random and I didn't really think it would matter haha. BUT! I will change them. They do need to be more natural and more prominent.
shermjack wrote:QoH and KoH don't seem scary enough to me
I know what you mean, but I really wanted a couple not to be all teeth and scary. With the QoH it'll all about being cheeky with what she's done and for the KoH its the sorrow of killing her sister. I think a mini story booklet will help this deck, as I have these stories and the image only makes sense once you know it.

Liking the poisoned idea, it makes perfect sense. So new veins coming soon. (Anything to hold me off from attacking the back design)

Thanks once again for all you input.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

But we want the back design !!!!
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

May I make a suggestion for the backs before you've even started? I think it would be good to have no figures on the back. The design of the clothes on your courts would lend its style perfectly to a back design. Not full bleed, but small border. Not rider back composition, maybe something with a more central element
That's what I'd like to see.

re: KoH. I looked at the knife for a while wondering who was killing her. It's clear it's not herself, since the right arm wouldn't be able to achieve that angle. I ended up deciding that it was some hunter or other. Would you be able to bump the right arm outside the court border to make it clear she's stabbing her mirror? I know that wouldn't be keeping with the other courts, but I think it would be okay.
-Ben
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

blejanre wrote:May I make a suggestion for the backs before you've even started? I think it would be good to have no figures on the back. The design of the clothes on your courts would lend its style perfectly to a back design. Not full bleed, but small border. Not rider back composition, maybe something with a more central element. That's what I'd like to see. re: KoH. I looked at the knife for a while wondering who was killing her. It's clear it's not herself, since the right arm wouldn't be able to achieve that angle. I ended up deciding that it was some hunter or other. Would you be able to bump the right arm outside the court border to make it clear she's stabbing her mirror? I know that wouldn't be keeping with the other courts, but I think it would be okay.
Way ahead of you on the back idea, it is pattern based not characters. re KoH, I think once you see that she is killing her mirror self its clear. I did try to have the arm extend over the side but it needed to come out so far it looked out of place.
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I've held off editing the veins of the kings for now to give time to the back design which is below.

Not 100% happy with it yet, but getting there and wanted to see what you all thought. I think I'll make the centre circles larger and make the floral patterns to the side overlap them. Hopefully the design fits the clothing from the courts and the overall feel of the cards.

I had to make the black a little darker to make some of the finer detail stand out. This will be something I will need to do on all the cards so its even.

The runes are quotes from my 3 fav vampire films:
Dracula - Children of the night, what sweet music they make
Interview with a Vampire - The choice I never had
Byzantium - You truly are a wonder

Also got a couple of hidden things in there like the corner cross and stake, a little homage to Buffy. The heart in the center of the V and the mini bat shape around the middle 4 small circles.

Let me know what you think :D

Remember that if you have offered help please feel free to submit a name for one of the courts. As previously mentioned, they need to be old english names and not ladies or duchess as it would be a state of emergency if 12 titled women got turned into vampires. So feel free to post a name you would like to use, pending terms and conditions, and my final approval. Check this out for a laugh or if you get stuck, most of these will pass http://fantasynamegenerators.com/posh-names.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/backv1.jpg
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Love it, i need them borders thinner though !!
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Looks great! This deck is shaping up really well! :)

Will we see another kickass trailer like coven? That one was badass.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

volantangel wrote:Love it, i need them borders thinner though !!
Have to agree that the borders definitely need to be thinner.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Cbkimble wrote:
Have to agree that the borders definitely need to be thinner.
You know, it's not too long ago when I was one of the few raving lunatics around here shouting "THINNER BORDERS!" at every new deck coming out.

I'm a trendsetter :ugking:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

I really like the back, especially the little hidden things
Hey Kai, I can see why you love it, not only did you get your initials in the deck, you got them on the back! :lol:

52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for the input guys

Below are the changes I mentioned about the center piece. The first is the original and the second is the enlarged version. Which do you think sits better? The first gives more room around the center though the detail is a little tight, but the second one fills out a little more but it looses that slimmer feel.

The third is the thinner boarder look, I just pulled out the design as a quick example...crap that does look better! haha, I'll have to lay this all back out again, but which version of the center?
Eoghann wrote:Will we see another kickass trailer like coven? That one was badass.
Oh yes, very over the top for a card advert and its going to take some time but I like making stuff like that :shock:

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/backv2.jpg
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I really like the third one. I really didn't like the the space of the original. The third version definitely fills in the space and the thinner borders are a great improvement. This is a manificent back.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Definitely the third one! :ugdance: :drool:

blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

2nd or 3rd. composition of new layout is more balanced.
-Ben