Brüt Tarot by UUSI now live on Kickstarter

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Brüt Tarot by UUSI now live on Kickstarter

Unread post by Eoghann »

badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: Brüt Tarot by UUSI (Upcoming Project)

Unread post by badpete69 »

Yeah I saw this also. I will need to see more.. I like old classic tarot art usually, will be curious to see what this will look like
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Looks promising! More?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Interesting. Is he thrusting his hand down the lion's throat? Traditionally on the strength card one is wrestling the lion's mouth closed (or open, depending on your perspective). Looking forward to seeing how they re-interpret the rest!
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Oh hey, that IS a lion! :lol:
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Aussie888

Unread post by Aussie888 »

Is that perhaps Samson killing the lion as in Judges 14:5-6
5 Then went Samson down, and his father and his mother, to Timnath, and came to the vineyards of Timnath: and, behold, a young lion roared against him.
6 And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he rent him as he would have rent a kid, and he had nothing in his hand: but he told not his father or his mother what he had done.
alric
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by alric »

Can't be Samson, the hair isn't long enough. Looks like this is going to be my first set of tarot cards.
sinjin7

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I know it probably won't happen, but can you imagine if Uusi decided to put out a regular deck of playing cards in the same style as a companion deck for a stretch goal? I think interest and sales would absolutely sky rocket!
Aussie888

alric wrote:Can't be Samson, the hair isn't long enough. Looks like this is going to be my first set of tarot cards.
Perhaps David (before the Goliath incident):
1 Samuel 17:34-35
34 And David said unto Saul, Thy servant kept his father’s sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:
35 And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

My money's on Hercules and the Nimean Lion.
cherrynukacola

Traditional (Rider-Waite) Strength card, for comparison.

Also, Wikipedia's article on Art Brut http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outsider_art (I assume that's what the Brut is in reference to?)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
Aussie888

You may be onto something there.
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

Mike Ratledge wrote:Looks promising! More?
It will look promising in case of a poker deck as a stretch goal :)
Magasaki

Unread post by Magasaki »

I'd LOVE to see a poker deck as a stretch goal! Would also be great to see another interpretation of the Rider Waite after Arcana was so successful.
Collection and Blog - http://www.magasaki.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Studio - http://www.designsharp.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/magasakicards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Personal Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommajski" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

New teaser for the upcoming tarot.
Attachments
image.jpg
badpete69

Yeah more excited now with this preview than the first one.. Looks great so far
jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Unread post by jerichoholic »

Awesome, will be the second Tarot deck I get
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Art people! What art style am I thinking of? I know this deck reminds me of some art style but I can't quite put my finger on it and it's annoying me. Please help me out before I call it construction paper art. :lol:
badpete69

It definitively seems to have some form of cubism.... In looking up the different styles, found this cool page

http://www.wikiart.org/de/paintings-by-style

Mechanistic cubism seems to come close
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Woah that's a lot of art styles, some I had never even heard of.

Miserabilism. I did a little bit of that on my notebooks during my angsty years. Now there's a name for it. :lol:
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

This doesn't look like any of the Art Brut I've seen. It also has none of the skewed perspective or movement of Cubism.

It does look like marquetry though. Images made from placing wood pieces together, sometimes with other fine materials like bone, mother of pearl, or metals. Considered a very fine craft in Europe. The first image even seems to have wood grain.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
cherrynukacola

It's probably closer to Naive Art than Art Brut. Interesting that they are sticking to modern playing card suits. I like that they are engaging with the meaning and symbolism of each card. My pet peeves with tarot decks are ones that just slap pretty pictures that depict the literal meanings of each card and also the ones that just modify the Rider-Waite imagery.
uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by uusikissa »

Hello! This is Linnea from Uusi. I was headed over here today to post about our new Tarot and saw there was already a thread for it – you guys don't miss a thing!

First off, I see that you have picked up on some of the deck's stylistic influences – very cool. "BRuT" 's inspiration is a mix of Brutalism, Art Brut (or naive art) and Early 20th Century Modernism. The artwork's largely geometric forms have been hand painted with gouache to add depth and richness of color. The deck itself is based on the traditional French, game-playing Tarot. Though the game of Tarot saw its origins in Italy, (opinions on this vary widely), the French were the ones who created what are now the standard courts for the Tarot: club, spades, diamonds & hearts. These suits eventually became so popular they replaced the earlier cups, coins, swords and wands and are now almost ubiquitous in the modern card playing market.

Our "BRuT" deck, (we've dropped the omlat – it was a misspelling on my part), follows the French Tarot in using the standard suits and courts, which include the addition of the Cavalier card standard to all game-playing Tarots, as well as the 21 Trump cards. The imagery for the trump cards in game playing Tarot's vary widely from divination themes to nature scenes or, most often, scenes that depict city / country life. We chose the divination theme as it was used on some of the very first Tarots created and we wanted to carry that element through on our own deck.

In short, we think the Tarot is the perfect game playing deck as you can use it to play so many different games. Aside from the game of Tarot (it's a lot like Bridge I've heard), you can play most of your favorite games that you use a standard card deck for by simply ditching the Cavalier and Trumps. Finally, should you be gifted with divination powers ;) "BRuT" makes a handsome, modern passage way to peer into the eternal future!

Looking forward to sharing more of our BRuT deck with you and we hope to see you over on Kickstarter when it launches in April :D

http://uusi.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Hey Linnea, what printer do you plan on using? As much as I love tarots and have several myself, the one thing that's bothered me is their inability to spread well.
uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eoghann wrote:Hey Linnea, what printer do you plan on using? As much as I love tarots and have several myself, the one thing that's bothered me is their inability to spread well.
Hi Eoghann! We are excited to be using EPCC on this deck. We've been working with Bill Kalush closely on the decks production and we will be using their highest grade card stock –  EPCC's "Master Finish". That card stock has a 310 gsm which gives it the perfect weight for a Tarot size deck (60mm x 110mm) and also makes it a very playable deck as it is the same card stock used in all EPCC's high-end decks. We did a lot of research on companies that produced Tarot's and found that most of them printed the decks on extremely cheap stock. Like you, we really wanted a deck that would play as well as it would look and EPCC was the perfect choice.
http://uusi.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badpete69

Hey Dan. Do you fan your tarot decks. That would be one he'll of a fan hehe
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Very excited for the project, im always in ! Did you have alternative back designs ? I find this one a little too simple ?
uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

volantangel wrote:Very excited for the project, im always in ! Did you have alternative back designs ? I find this one a little too simple ?
We did try a smaller pattern that also looked great, but we really loved the modernism of this design. It's a more "artistic" back design, perhaps along the lines of Bohemia's back. The smaller the pattern the more "traditional" the back looked and we wanted to stay away from the Victorian era look. Not that there is anything wrong with that look – its fantastic when done right – but for us it just seemed more appropriate to go with a bold, architectural approach. Brutalist architecture was a big inspiration for this deck.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I've been on the fence about these (Con: It's a tarot deck, Pro: It's UUSI), but these being printed by EPCC makes it much more probable that I'll be in on these. Thanks for the update, Linnea!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

MagikFingerz wrote:I've been on the fence about these (Con: It's a tarot deck, Pro: It's UUSI), but these being printed by EPCC makes it much more probable that I'll be in on these. Thanks for the update, Linnea!
You're welcome, Tom! And very cool to hear you are interested in the Uusi Tarot now. I agree with you completely that too many Tarots are printed on stock that is just...ehhh. But once we decided to go the traditional Tarot route using an oversize format and keeping all 78 (plus 2 ad cards) cards in one tuck, we really wanted to make sure we stayed away from the land of flimsy cardboard card stock. EPCC was the only printer we talked to that was willing to use their premium stock on a Tarot deck, so that and Bill's enthusiasm for print details sealed the deal for us to move forward with this deck and EPCC.