Smoke and Mirrors V7

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
magiccircle

Re: Smoke and Mirrors V7 - 11am EST on Black Friday

Unread post by magiccircle »

Gareth wrote:
cosmicsecret wrote:Then i looked around saw the uncuts incl a new carbon deck.
But holy cow $31 shipping for one uncut sheet!
$31 is quite a bit - especially when bicyclecards.com will post two uncuts internationally for $16.99. (D&D are using Priority Mail compared with what I assume is First Class mail).

The weird thing though is that they charge $31 for one, and $60.50 for two! ($75 for 3 and $84 for 4). I'm sure it would cost almost nothing for posting the second uncut.
Yes I too agree that their international shipping fee for uncut sheets are simply ridiculous. That makes the uncut even much more expensive!
Josh

Unread post by Josh »

anyone else read the email DnD just sent out?
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

Josh wrote:anyone else read the email DnD just sent out?
It took my a little while, since I got nauseous, had to throw up, got a headache, took a few grams of tylenol, then canceled my newsletter subscription......
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

hikeeba wrote:
Josh wrote:anyone else read the email DnD just sent out?
It took my a little while, since I got nauseous, had to throw up, got a headache, took a few grams of tylenol, then canceled my newsletter subscription......
Whats up with it? let the non-subscribers in on it to ??
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

I already deleted it. But it's the proverbial "insult" to the "injury".
Now, I've been D&D-Free for a while now. It was after v1 when v2 was pretty much the same thing I was like "the hell with these douches".
Imagine if (need a D&D equivalent here....) Nickelback had a new song, but the only way you could get it was to buy a boxed set of all their songs. Sure, it wouldn't bother me, but no fan should be treated like that.
And so it is the same here. If you were looking to "complete" the collection with a v7 and then found out the only ways you could get one was buying an overpriced boxed set or an uncut sheet, I feel your pain. But then to send a newsletter afterwards trying to bamboozle you with excepts from a thesaurus about how wonderful they are is a bit too much.

"That's German for 'The, D&D, The!'"
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

hikeeba wrote:
I dont get that joke....and i´m german :shock:
volantangel

cosmicsecret wrote:
hikeeba wrote:
I dont get that joke....and i´m german :shock:
Hahaha not german but i think he meant 'die D&D die' lol
cosmicsecret

lol now i get it..."The" can stand for more then just "die" ;) (der,die,das)
:D
elcyciB

Unread post by elcyciB »

I am new to collecting and looked at all the "big" companies putting out decks. Of all of them, D&D are my least favorite. Maybe it's because I am not a magician or cardist and can't appreciate the "feel" of the cards like they can, but from a design standpoint, not much they have done impresses me. I especially got annoyed with their twitter feed and the like. They overhype their stuff so much. I haven't bought anything from them and doubt I will....dumb marketing.

Hope the CCCC's and Encarded's et al of the world keep on designing decks that kick their ass
volantangel

Hahaha i guess it only works for people with barely any german knowledge :lol: :lol:
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

I was going for the Simpsons reference from 'Cape Feare':

Blue-Haired Lawyer: What about that tattoo on your chest? Doesn't it say die Bart die?
Sideshow Bob: No, that's German
[unveils tattoo]
Sideshow Bob: for 'The Bart The'.
Woman on Parole Board: No one who speaks German could be an evil man.
alric

Unread post by alric »

I don't know if its just me (a proud D&D hater), but it seemed like the most recent email hyping the v.7 set was trying to deflect blame from the Bucks and that their boyfriend, Fulton, was taking credit for marketing the v.7 the way it was.

The email had the usual marketing crap about how awesome and innovative the S&M series was, but it seemed like Fulton was saying he was solely the one responsible for releasing the v.7 in this manner. Unless the Bucks are just completely clueless idiots just staring at each other all day long telling each other how handsome and awesome the other is, they have to have some idea of how pissed so many people are about how the v.7s got released, and maybe they're using bro-mate Brad to fall on his sword and take the heat for this most recent disaster......
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

I've come to the realization that all these deck producing companies are actually run by a larger secret organization that dictates their every move and plans out the money grabs.
It's headed by none other than:

and she'll keep cranking that crap out for money grabs as long as we fork over the money.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Mom is misunderstood. She is a great leader and lady.

(The above statement was paid for my MomCorpTM)
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

I always support DND... However, this time I'm still contemplating if I should get the box and its way overpriced but its also the last version of S&M series ...
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

Saw via twitter tonight that apparently they are taking each deck and hand applying the seals, and there does not appear to be any cellophane. That answers the question of how they would make sure their special seal gets aligned right with the tuck flap.

Having just hand applied a bunch of those myself, that is not an enviable job, when you have 60,000 decks to do. Uh.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Josh

Unread post by Josh »

Encarded wrote:Saw via twitter tonight that apparently they are taking each deck and hand applying the seals, and there does not appear to be any cellophane. That answers the question of how they would make sure their special seal gets aligned right with the tuck flap.

Having just hand applied a bunch of those myself, that is not an enviable job, when you have 60,000 decks to do. Uh.
which is why probably why the box is priced so damn high.
Ryric

Unread post by Ryric »

Encarded wrote:Saw via twitter tonight that apparently they are taking each deck and hand applying the seals, and there does not appear to be any cellophane. That answers the question of how they would make sure their special seal gets aligned right with the tuck flap.

That is really unfortunate, I love the idea of the seal and would like to see broader application.
Mirror

Re: Smoke and Mirrors V7

Unread post by Mirror »

I ordered mine a week ago and i live in Germany ... you guys think they'll be here before Christmas? Anyone who has ordered them from somewhere else than the US who already recieved them?
cosmicsecret

Mirror wrote:I ordered mine a week ago and i live in Germany ... you guys think they'll be here before Christmas? Anyone who has ordered them from somewhere else than the US who already recieved them?
The D&D Shop was never the fastest in shipping out stuff (usually i wait 3-5 days till they have send my parcel)
I can tell you from my experiences with D&D orders, that the delivery can take up from 8 days to 4 weeks to germany.
I think it all depends on the customs.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

I'm in the US and just got my shipping notice.
Should see them by weeks end.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
wsop_legacy

Unread post by wsop_legacy »

That is disappointing. They boast about it on Twitter as if its a good thing. The words "factory sealed" means everything. No one cares about a custom seal if its NOT sealed by the manufacturer (USPCC). The whole point of using a seal is to insure the decks are not compromised by human hands. D&D defeats the purpose of using seals by hand applying their own.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

What are you talking about?!?!?! Collectors LOVE custom touches.

Who is going to use this deck in front of spectators? Also, if you are worried about what spectators think you should be using red/blue 808's and nothing else.

Moving along...
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Russell wrote:What are you talking about?!?!?! Collectors LOVE custom touches.

Who is going to use this deck in front of spectators? Also, if you are worried about what spectators think you should be using red/blue 808's and nothing else.

Moving along...
Actually this collector doesn't particularly like decks without cello. Same reason I don't go for signed decks.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Strag wrote:Actually this collector doesn't particularly like decks without cello. Same reason I don't go for signed decks.
If none of the v7's had cello, then it make no difference. Unless you are talking about keeping the deck safe from the elements, in which case, you probably already have a complex methodology for protecting your cards.
wsop_legacy

Unread post by wsop_legacy »

Russell wrote:What are you talking about?!?!?! Collectors LOVE custom touches.

Moving along...
Russell,

I'm not sure who your addressing your comments to. I have no worries about spectators, I'm not a magician.

Customization is fine but D&D is clearly altering the decks manufacturing integrity by hand applying their own seals. They have done this before with some of the Fulton "Private Reserve". I'm sorry if some custom card producers ONLY see a seal as a way to add more customization to their decks. I'm sure Dan and Dave are nice guys and I am aware many of the producers here are friends with them. I'm just telling you what I prefer. I would hope more professional card users would insist on "factory sealed" and preserve the manufacturing integrity of their tools.
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

wsop_legacy wrote: The whole point of using a seal is to insure the decks are not compromised by human hands. D&D defeats the purpose of using seals by hand applying their own.

I would hope more professional card users would insist on "factory sealed" and preserve the manufacturing integrity of their tools.
The seal is merely decoration in todays world. It was only stuck on there originally as a tax mark.

They aren't opening the decks and touching the cards. They are applying a sticker to the outside of the tuck. Nothing is being compromised. Sticking a magnet on your fridge doesn't make your milk go sour. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just don't see how this hurting the cards.

Also, you can get decks non-cello'd and non-sealed straight from USPCC.
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

Humidity will hurt the cards when the cello is gone, the tuck box can't absorb everything.

Cheers.
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

Most cellos aren't air tight to being with. The cellophane wrapping around 99% of packaging is not air tight or waterproof. It's there for two reasons: to see if the product on the shelves has been tampered with and to protect against vary light water damage.

This is PURE SPECULATION: I'm guessing the 'purists' will see a non-stickered, cello wrapped version after the new year, possibly Christmas. There is no way they are only going to release this deck in the 6-deck package. It will eventually be released separately. Probably in cello.
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

Most cellos aren't air tight to being with. The cellophane wrapping around 99% of packaging is not air tight or waterproof. It's there for two reasons: to see if the product on the shelves has been tampered with and to protect against vary light water damage. << Exactly, it's not 100% air tight obviously, but it's still there and do protect greatly against humidity damage.
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!