Mauger Quadruplicate Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Re: Mauger Quadruplicate Playing Cards

Unread post by Strag »

Fes wrote:Just a friendly reminder The Mauger campaign is wrapping up soon. Final 24 hours should be starting up pretty soon. Michael did a great job with his Triplicate restorations imho. I expect the Maugers will be amazing as well. Can't wait to get these on the poker table. :D
Still haven't received my triplicates so I'll pass.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

I've tended to refrain from pledging for projects that haven't delivered (to me) on their previous projects by the time the new project closes. I realize the Triplicates have gone out to a lot of people, but I'm still waiting for mine. Haven't received a tracking number, either.

Others have commented on the project that this project creator is an established business and that they've always delivered in the past, so I haven't pulled the plug on my pledge, but I am... ill at ease. I made this exception once before, for Jackson, and that worked out just great. Hoping this will, too. But, still... I'd really like to get my hands on the Triplicates... or a tracking number... or something.
This space intentionally left blank.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon

Unread post by chach »

rousselle wrote:I've tended to refrain from pledging for projects that haven't delivered (to me) on their previous projects by the time the new project closes. I realize the Triplicates have gone out to a lot of people, but I'm still waiting for mine. Haven't received a tracking number, either.

Others have commented on the project that this project creator is an established business and that they've always delivered in the past, so I haven't pulled the plug on my pledge, but I am... ill at ease. I made this exception once before, for Jackson, and that worked out just great. Hoping this will, too. But, still... I'd really like to get my hands on the Triplicates... or a tracking number... or something.

I'm in the same boat as you, Rousselle. If I don't receive my previous pledge rewards by time this one ends, I won't pull plug completely but I will at least drop it significantly.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
hikeeba

Unread post by hikeeba »

Same here - pledged the Trips but haven't received them. So when the update went out about more Ltds being available I passed - no clue what they're like, so why get more.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now THIS is funny. At least, it strikes ME as funny:

I haven't received my tracking number, but in today's mail, I received... my Triplicates. The order is complete, the decks are in good shape, the "bonus" coin was included (as well as the Dealer coin that I ordered on top of that one.)

This has happened before, when I finally say, "Hey! I haven't gotten my cards!" And then, they arrive *that day*.

So, here's to hoping my Occults arrive soon, too. :)

Heh.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I got mine Monday. Nice, really well done, with coins and stamps as well, as advertised.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I got my Triplicate restoration decks a week ago. I dropped my pledge on the Mauger campaign and left a message saying that since I still haven't received my Triplicate order, I wouldn't support any new campaigns until the first one was fulfilled. Lo and behold, the very next day I get a message from Michael Scott informing me that my package was mailed that day.

I got my package a few days later. I was disappointed that he changed the deck seal on the standard deck to a metallic foil stamp. Since this is supposed to be a "restoration" of the original design, I feel he should've stayed with the regular paper stamp like the original one had. The metallic foil stamp sticks out like a sore thumb. His Limited tucks are very nice and I really like the longer tongues that insert lower down in the front of the tuck. The outer paper wrapper was not wrapped around the tuck very snugly, but at least it was sealed with the paper stamps instead of the foil ones.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon

Unread post by chach »

Still haven't received my triplicates, and it's nice to hear people are overall reviewing them well but I still decreased my pledge for the a augers. Couldn't justify in my mind needing all the variants so just went for the basic red remake. I'm interested in how well they make the slip case cause that's one thing I do love about old decks, the cool fabric covered cardboard slipcovers.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I ended up dropping the project entirely. :|
One of those "do I really want these?" kinda deal. I really wanted to like it, but with every update the vintage courts just kept looking too pristine and modern so I figured I'd pass.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote:I got my Triplicate restoration decks a week ago. I dropped my pledge on the Mauger campaign and left a message saying that since I still haven't received my Triplicate order, I wouldn't support any new campaigns until the first one was fulfilled. Lo and behold, the very next day I get a message from Michael Scott informing me that my package was mailed that day.
I hate that kind of stuff. VERY unprofessional. I only pledged for the $10 USPCC deck because it was all I could justify. The rest still overwhelms me.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Eoghann wrote:I ended up dropping the project entirely. :|
One of those "do I really want these?" kinda deal. I really wanted to like it, but with every update the vintage courts just kept looking too pristine and modern so I figured I'd pass.
Yup, same here. Kinda regretting pledging for the Trips too now, although not for any other reason than the above one.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know, I got my decks under about the same conditions as sinjin7. I still decreased my pledge to one of each for Mauger restoration "quad" decks. I've thrown away plenty of money for other decks I'll never see.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I received my USPCC Standard deck today. For those not following it, these are the ONLY decks shipped so far due to availability.

What I most liked about these originally was it was the most interesting truck of the 5 (others too plain and no design), the fact they used 1 and X for Ace/10 and of course the Joker. Plus the A/1oS which is basically the tuck. In looking at them in real life these same things hold true, but the tuck should have been embossed as it definitely looks elaborate yet simple due to b/w and no embossing. I suppose this is more period correct in a way though, even though the tuck isn't a replica. I also was surprised to see the indices of the diamonds and clubs are a lighter shade of red and blue instead of black, yet the pips are all the same as the others. In looking at the project page I can see that now, but just didn't realize it before (image linked below).

Photos? I could take one, but I suck at fanning and there's not much else to show.

EDIT - PCDB updated and also no longer has the pre-release entry scolding comments either. ;)
https://playingcarddb.com/dbdeck?id=1375

dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I've always loved that joker - very bizarre.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Those look pretty darn good. I'm not in to the whole reproduction thing but maybe I should have picked up one.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

dazzleguts wrote:I've always loved that joker - very bizarre.
That one and the drunk sailor (second version Joker for #303 (US4A in Hochman's) are definitely in my top few.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

decibelhz

Unread post by decibelhz »

I received these decks and overall they are really neat however, I think there was an error and I wanted to check in with others to see if this problem is just me or applies to everyone who got a Replica regardless of edition. I purchased all three versions of the Mauger replica decks (red backs). I opened up the regular replica edition and noticed it was missing the 5 of clubs so I went to the project page to check because I remember something about a missing card. It looks like the only edition that was supposed to have the card missing on purpose is the original release for which a replacement was included with the metal certificate. I received that but it looks like the regular and limited versions were supposed to have the card included as part of the deck but wasn't.

Is anyone else missing the 5 of clubs from their replica and limited replica decks?
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

decibelhz wrote:I received these decks and overall they are really neat however, I think there was an error and I wanted to check in with others to see if this problem is just me or applies to everyone who got a Replica regardless of edition. I purchased all three versions of the Mauger replica decks (red backs). I opened up the regular replica edition and noticed it was missing the 5 of clubs so I went to the project page to check because I remember something about a missing card. It looks like the only edition that was supposed to have the card missing on purpose is the original release for which a replacement was included with the metal certificate. I received that but it looks like the regular and limited versions were supposed to have the card included as part of the deck but wasn't.

Is anyone else missing the 5 of clubs from their replica and limited replica decks?
So far, I have only opened the gilded ("limited") Replica Mauger deck, and I can confirm that it contains the 5 of Clubs; in fact, it contains all of the expected cards, from 1 to K, in all four suits. I will have to check the "regular" Replica Mauger and the USPCC Standard decks tomorrow (Friday).
Slavich

Mauger Quadruplicate Playing Cards

Unread post by Slavich »

decibelhz wrote:I received these decks and overall they are really neat however, I think there was an error and I wanted to check in with others to see if this problem is just me or applies to everyone who got a Replica regardless of edition. I purchased all three versions of the Mauger replica decks (red backs). I opened up the regular replica edition and noticed it was missing the 5 of clubs so I went to the project page to check because I remember something about a missing card. It looks like the only edition that was supposed to have the card missing on purpose is the original release for which a replacement was included with the metal certificate. I received that but it looks like the regular and limited versions were supposed to have the card included as part of the deck but wasn't.

I see on the project page it states that the other 2 replica decks also come with 53 cards so I guess they all should be missing the cards. I haven't received mine yet so can't check
bamabenz

Unread post by bamabenz »

Contact Michael Scott. He ended-up gilding the Mauger replica edition, even tho that's not noted in the campaign. There are supposed to be a paper certificate and 5oC included. I did not get any so he's sending me replacements.

/bama
'Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.'
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Got my stuff yesterday

bamabenz

badpete,

Ooooh, you got 6's! My numbers suck. The registration on the Mauger deck I opened is pretty bad. Have you opened any of your decks yet?

/bama
'Certainly the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you; if you don't bet you can't win.'
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

bamabenz wrote:[Contact Michael Scott. He ended-up gilding the Mauger replica edition, even tho that's not noted in the campaign. There are supposed to be a paper certificate and 5oC included. I did not get any so he's sending me replacements.

/bama
Bama, did you get your problem fixed? I contacted Michael asking what I got my "all five" versions pledge, but there is no red nor blue tuck amongst them as shown on the project page.

I think I got two of one version, but I didn't want to open any until I heard from him.

So far I have had no response at all. :cry: :roll: I guess I should check them out more closely, I have no added 5oC, either. From what I have (re)read tonight, I should.

I guess I put this campaign on autopilot after I pledged. I don't remember any details of the changes.

I suppose that I am also a bit questioning his business model, also. I had never really notice that he ran projects under his name, "Home Run Games" and his partner under a third.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

bamabenz

Mike Ratledge wrote:
bamabenz wrote:[Contact Michael Scott. He ended-up gilding the Mauger replica edition, even tho that's not noted in the campaign. There are supposed to be a paper certificate and 5oC included. I did not get any so he's sending me replacements.

/bama
Bama, did you get your problem fixed? I contacted Michael asking what I got my "all five" versions pledge, but there is no red nor blue tuck amongst them as shown on the project page.

I think I got two of one version, but I didn't want to open any until I heard from him.

So far I have had no response at all. :cry: :roll: I guess I should check them out more closely, I have no added 5oC, either. From what I have (re)read tonight, I should.

I guess I put this campaign on autopilot after I pledged. I don't remember any details of the changes.

I suppose that I am also a bit questioning his business model, also. I had never really notice that he ran projects under his name, "Home Run Games" and his partner under a third.
Michael shipped out the missing missing cards promptly.
I've only contacted him via Kickstarter. He responded the same day each time.
The first time I never received my reward from the Triplicate campaign, and he had replacement shipped right away.

I pledged for and received all versions of the Quad decks, but I was scratching my head at first matching-up what I got to what's pictured in the campaign.
The USPCC Standard deck comes in a plain white tuck.
The Mauger replica edition comes in a red two piece (like the 52+J club deck) cloth/cardboard box.
The USPCC limited edition tuck comes wrapped in paper with black printed picture.
The other two Mauger replica editions are also wrapped in paper, one with black picture on the paper, one with red and they are thicker 'cause they have the two piece cloth box.

I think his replica campaigns are pretty ambitious, and he's managed to deliver despite fairly low fund raising. I didn't pledge for the Euchre, but I do look forward to the 1883 A. Dougherty Murphy's Varnish Transformation Deck. Try contacting him again, maybe at Home Run Games. He may be still smarting a bit from Euchre not funding and so not checking his messages very often.

In my experience he's very responsive.

The gilding on the non-USPCC replica decks suck compared to USPCC gilding (like JR's Scarlett decks).
But then again USPCC gilding sucks compared to Uusi.
Each is worth what I paid for them.
So I got no problem with his business model and wish him well.

/bama
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

bamabenz wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:Bama, did you get your problem fixed? I contacted Michael asking what I got my "all five" versions pledge, but there is no red nor blue tuck amongst them as shown on the project page.

Michael shipped out the missing missing cards promptly.
I've only contacted him via Kickstarter. He responded the same day each time.
The first time I never received my reward from the Triplicate campaign, and he had replacement shipped right away.

I pledged for and received all versions of the Quad decks, but I was scratching my head at first matching-up what I got to what's pictured in the campaign.
The USPCC Standard deck comes in a plain white tuck.
The Mauger replica edition comes in a red two piece (like the 52+J club deck) cloth/cardboard box.
The USPCC limited edition tuck comes wrapped in paper with black printed picture.
The other two Mauger replica editions are also wrapped in paper, one with black picture on the paper, one with red and they are thicker 'cause they have the two piece cloth box.

I think his replica campaigns are pretty ambitious, and he's managed to deliver despite fairly low fund raising. I didn't pledge for the Euchre, but I do look forward to the 1883 A. Dougherty Murphy's Varnish Transformation Deck. Try contacting him again, maybe at Home Run Games. He may be still smarting a bit from Euchre not funding and so not checking his messages very often.

In my experience he's very responsive.

The gilding on the non-USPCC replica decks suck compared to USPCC gilding (like JR's Scarlett decks).
But then again USPCC gilding sucks compared to Uusi.
Each is worth what I paid for them.
So I got no problem with his business model and wish him well.

/bama
hmmm... I never heard from him at all, so I tried again on Kickstarter and followed up on Facebook and "homerungames.com" as well. I am missing the gilded deck, the red slip-case deck and the 5 of clubs replacement card. I have two each of the red printed paper wrapped deck and the Bicycle branded Quad deck. It's kind of confusing, as you noted, the decks as received don't match up well with the pix online for the KS campaign.

I suppose I'll hear from him, hopefully. One thing I did notice was that he hadn't logged into KS since the 15th of last month.

The gilded deck is wrapped, or just in a slip-case? I was expecting a red and a blue slip-case type decks, and got neither. I didn't go ripping into the decks pending a response from Michael, but I suppose at thsi point I should take a look?

Oh, and the 'gilding' of the decks by USPCC isn't true gilt at all, since the mid 1920's everyone has used a copper-nickel or copper-aluminum alloy film melted onto the edges, as opposed to the true 23.75k gold foil that Uusi uses to hand gild their decks. Completely different process, and you're exactly right: JR's Tally-Ho! emerald and scarlet decks (as well as Paul's JPplayingcards.co.uk LUXX brand decks he just pre-sold) use that cuppro-nickel or cuppro-aluminum alloy foil type 'gilding'. Uusi uses real sterling silver for their (ahem!) single in the world BlueBlood (which as I recall you nailed) and the BB Redux version (also to be seen on the blue "Classic" decks soon) for their silver gilded decks.

A to the Q: the red color printed wrapped deck is the red slip-case AND the gilded deck. No wonder I was confused. I suppose that means that the only thing I am missing is the 'spare' 5 of clubs? I got a total of 6 decks, two of the 1000 LE decks as well, hadn't even noticed. I also got two of the Bicycle branded decks, so I have four distinct decks, not five, but one extra anyway. Odd - somebody wasn't paying attention when they put my order together.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

Mike Ratledge wrote:hmmm... I never heard from him at all, so I tried again on Kickstarter and followed up on Facebook and "homerungames.com" as well. I am missing the gilded deck, the red slip-case deck and the 5 of clubs replacement card. I have two each of the red printed paper wrapped deck and the Bicycle branded Quad deck. It's kind of confusing, as you noted, the decks as received don't match up well with the pix online for the KS campaign.

I suppose I'll hear from him, hopefully. One thing I did notice was that he hadn't logged into KS since the 15th of last month.

The gilded deck is wrapped, or just in a slip-case? I was expecting a red and a blue slip-case type decks, and got neither. I didn't go ripping into the decks pending a response from Michael, but I suppose at thsi point I should take a look?

Oh, and the 'gilding' of the decks by USPCC isn't true gilt at all, since the mid 1920's everyone has used a copper-nickel or copper-aluminum alloy film melted onto the edges, as opposed to the true 23.75k gold foil that Uusi uses to hand gild their decks. Completely different process, and you're exactly right: JR's Tally-Ho! emerald and scarlet decks (as well as Paul's JPplayingcards.co.uk LUXX brand decks he just pre-sold) use that cuppro-nickel or cuppro-aluminum alloy foil type 'gilding'. Uusi uses real sterling silver for their (ahem!) single in the world BlueBlood (which as I recall you nailed) and the BB Redux version (also to be seen on the blue "Classic" decks soon) for their silver gilded decks.

A to the Q: the red color printed wrapped deck is the red slip-case AND the gilded deck. No wonder I was confused. I suppose that means that the only thing I am missing is the 'spare' 5 of clubs? I got a total of 6 decks, two of the 1000 LE decks as well, hadn't even noticed. I also got two of the Bicycle branded decks, so I have four distinct decks, not five, but one extra anyway. Odd - somebody wasn't paying attention when they put my order together.
Michael was good at communicating with me until May 18th which is the last I've heard from him. He is yet to send me $330 worth of decks from this project and in his last reply to my message about missing decks he said that he will look into it and make sure I will get the items. I hope to hear from him at some point soon. Getting a little worried now... :|
DragonSoul

Unread post by DragonSoul »

Gavin is the one with whom I've had trouble communicating. Michael has always responded promptly to my messages and I believe prompted Gavin to finally contact me. Because of this I finally got my Hawaiian deck pledge.

Unfortunately, 4 of the decks were wrong. Gavin did acknowledge my message about it and said he would send replacements and a return shipping label for the incorrect ones. That was on May 16th and he hasn't signed back on to Kickstarter since. Of course, I haven't received the corrected decks. :evil:

I reached out to Michael a week and a half ago to see if he could intercede again but, unlike previous times he has not responded quickly. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that perhaps he was on vacation or something...