UC Deck of the Year

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

UC Deck of the Year

Unread post by sinjin7 »

Wow, what a great contest! A huge "Thank You!" to Mike R and Kai and all the others involved for making this such a big success. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread for people to discuss their thoughts and observations here instead of cluttering up the original thread.

It looks like 2014 was the year of the Origins deck! He won at Discourse/Playingcardforums and kept the momentum strong and won at UC as well. Congrats to Rick Davidson for a truly great deck. Does this mean its going to be harder to get the Origins deck at an affordable price now? ;)

I want to give an honorable mention to the Requiem deck. It placed second in the voting 4 times, and third in the voting 4 times as well. That speaks of the consistency of Lorenzo's deck, and I'm glad he got a win for Best Pips, because he came so close to winning so many other categories.

Aside from David Blaine winning for Best Deck for Magic, there were no other winners from the "big companies" (Ellusionist, Theory11, D&D, etc...) This further illustrates the rise of the independent decks and KS decks. This also should be a wake-up call for the big boys to raise their game.

A big thanks to all the generous donations made to this contest, it really is a very impressive collection of prizes. I love this format where the winners get to hand pick their preference in prizes. I didn't come close to winning, but if I did have the first pick of the prize pool, I think I would choose. . .Tier 17 - the Uusi prize! I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks is the most desirable prize out of all the amazing prizes available! :)
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: UC Deck of the Year (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

How about we wait till prizes have all been chosen? I know which two are my top choices but I don't want to influence anyone to pick them. :lol:
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Eoghann

Re: UC Deck of the Year

Unread post by Eoghann »

I was kind of hoping Four Points would get a little more recognition. Most of the nominated for best crowdfunded were well established veterans. They know the ropes. Four Points excelled in the simplicity and great prices during the campaign. He went above and beyond with the little embossing on the tucks as well and delivered in a timely manner.

I knew Angry Pussies would not be voted for. :lol: But I thought the cat gaffs were fun. But I was in the kid's party frame of mind. I didn't really take time to consider more mature forms of magic.

And Pocono Modern pips because I absolutely love the retro style they did on the first deck.
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Eoghann wrote:I was kind of hoping Four Points would get a little more recognition. Most of the nominated for best crowdfunded were well established veterans. They know the ropes. Four Points excelled in the simplicity and great prices during the campaign. He went above and beyond with the little embossing on the tucks as well and delivered in a timely manner.
I didn't really like the design of Four Points so I didn't back it. Maybe the same can be said for the others who didn't vote for Four Points and that's probably why the established veterans got more points, because there design appealed to more people thus more backers.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I'm glad the votes of all the entrants were listed because it was very interesting to see what everyone voted for. There were some votes where I just had to scratch my head, and there other votes where I did a face-palm and thought to myself, "Dang it, why didn't I think about that deck!".
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Congratulations to all the winners :D ..and a big thanks to Kai :D

I really enjoyed going through the decks i had looking for the best Ace & Jokers etc.
Origins were a close second on a few of my choices but with only one vote each catagory :roll:

I wouldn`t change any of my choices. 8-)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Eoghann wrote:And Pocono Modern pips because I absolutely love the retro style they did on the first deck.
I got some, and an uncut as well, but I really think Lorenzo's pip arrangement is the top of the stack. I also wish people had brought up "Best New Artist" in time for the vote because despite our diversity, I think that would have been no contest our buddy who happens to live in Stockholm. As always, "your mileage may vary". Maybe I should start a poll?

His pips rearrangement wasn't just for the sake of non-comformance, although you could argue Heresy. Oh, wait: next year. ;)

My only point is as much as we each have our own taste, some things were darned near universal, like Sawdust uncut sheet got 50% of the vote. That's as universal as our worldwide group will likely ever get.

Completely unrelated, but I finally got the scoop on MailChimp today (see that thread). "They DO exist!" (or will, rather - and as we all expected, from T11).

Sinjin, we went for total transparency, and the redo of prize selection was my solution after a couple of people ended up with duplicate items last year, and would have gladly "traded down". This way we get yet another insight when people pick.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Mike Ratledge wrote: I got some, and an uncut as well, but I really think Lorenzo's pip arrangement is the top of the stack.
True. But I was going for pip design, not layout. :lol:

Hey, there's another category for yah! Most innovative pip layout. There are definitely some that made interesting yet functional arrangements.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

sinjin7 wrote: Aside from David Blaine winning for Best Deck for Magic, there were no other winners from the "big companies" (Ellusionist, Theory11, D&D, etc...) This further illustrates the rise of the independent decks and KS decks. This also should be a wake-up call for the big boys to raise their game.
While I agree with you for the most part, I wish there were a "best set" voting category because I'm sure the Prohibition set would have won. I know that's still just a ripple in the pond but my point is it could be an indication of better things to come.

I would like to point something else out- even though I would love to see the big companies "step their game up" I don't think they need to. Their fan boys will still sell them out of Lions Den decks and all the other mediocre crap they put out. They have established names and are easily searchable making it very simple for the casual card collector to hand over their money. I would compare E, T11, D$D, etc. to BK, McDonalds, etc. No one would say that any fast food burger joint has the best products but they're still making hand over fist more than the local mom and pop burger joint, whoes burgers are much better and around the same price. But people just can't seem to get enough McD's. Why? Location? Reputation? Longevity in the marketplace? Beats me, but I still find myself getting fast food once in a great while.

I guess my point is I think those "big boys" are doing just fine and won't change much. And by that I mean they'll keep up with modern standards but won't "step their game up" per se.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

vasta41 wrote:
sinjin7 wrote: Aside from David Blaine winning for Best Deck for Magic, there were no other winners from the "big companies" (Ellusionist, Theory11, D&D, etc...) This further illustrates the rise of the independent decks and KS decks. This also should be a wake-up call for the big boys to raise their game.
While I agree with you for the most part, I wish there were a "best set" voting category because I'm sure the Prohibition set would have won.
And then three weeks after they sold half what they wanted, they dumped them on Touch of Modern for $99. Marketing leaves something to be desired as they are in the "big league" of sellers.

Sorry, clearly off topic... Kind of puzzled they would screw loyal buyers and still be selling the set for $125 on their website at the same time.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I'm a bit surprised the Independence LTD tuck didn't take a place in the best tuck category. It's a pretty unique tuck and I liked how there was a diptych on it. Sure, it didn't have foiling, but I thought it was very well designed. I chose between this and Origins. As some people might know already, I have a thing for pearlescent tucks. Lol. I chose Origins for quite a number of categories already, though, and to me, independence got extra points for the innovative tuck box design and diptych. Ha, choosing Origins would have gotten me another 5 points, but I don't regret my choice, though I do acknowledge that the origins tuck is gorgeous as well.

And I know I'm in the minority at this but the Kingdoms of a New World Ace of Spades is worth looking at, if you haven't seen it already.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I struggled most with the innovation category since initially I was thinking technical innovation (MPC's Impressions would have gotten the nod or perhaps some other foil or stock change), but then I thought why can't it mean artistic innovation or even marketing innovation. Perhaps some clarity or additional categories in the future to consider. In the end I went with artistic innovation and Sawdust, since I really think the way he combined the pips into artwork, especially with the backing story and relationships, certainly was innovative and unique.
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

Sher wrote:I'm a bit surprised the Independence LTD tuck didn't take a place in the best tuck category. It's a pretty unique tuck and I liked how there was a diptych on it. Sure, it didn't have foiling, but I thought it was very well designed. I chose between this and Origins. As some people might know already, I have a thing for pearlescent tucks. Lol. I chose Origins for quite a number of categories already, though, and to me, independence got extra points for the innovative tuck box design and diptych. Ha, choosing Origins would have gotten me another 5 points, but I don't regret my choice, though I do acknowledge that the origins tuck is gorgeous as well.

And I know I'm in the minority at this but the Kingdoms of a New World Ace of Spades is worth looking at, if you haven't seen it already.

I'm with you about Independence LTD tuck box, I also voted for best tuck box, that's real inovation the diptych, and it had double embossing and some silver foil, in the outside and inside!! Bu I also liked origins Grail tuck box very much!

As for the best AoS I would also vote for the Kingdoms of a New World, but I dicided not to, since I haven't received my deck yet!
Cbkimble

I knew that the bicycle steel deck wouldn't win but I still think they're the best pips that came out last year. That's the deck that started the addiction though and the pips were a main reason.

I enjoyed this and I think we have room to expand/add categories next year.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

What i am surprised was that seven seas didnt place higher on the best crowdfunded category. It was besides the smooth campaign that they run, the detail they put in for the packaging was what distinguished them from the crowd imo.

But then again that category was freaking close, 1st,2nd,3rd place were separated by a single vote each.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Cbkimble wrote:I enjoyed this and I think we have room to expand/add categories next year.
This year's voting was great! And very hard too (which is a good thing!). But maybe we could vote on some new categories for next year, keeping all the old ones? Just to make it diplomatic... my votes: Best Set and Best Bicycle-branded Deck. I think TPCF had that category and I thought that was cool. I think it's worth recognizing a designer that can artfully integrate the classic "Bicycle" design and still incorporate his/her own artwork with about 1/3 less space.
Cbkimble

I'm sure we could turn this into 20 or 25 categories.
volantangel

Cbkimble wrote:I'm sure we could turn this into 20 or 25 categories.
AHAHA im not sure i want that :lol: :lol:
Cbkimble

volantangel wrote:
Cbkimble wrote:I'm sure we could turn this into 20 or 25 categories.
AHAHA im not sure i want that :lol: :lol:
I'm sure you could find some help. All you have to do is ask.
volantangel

For the complete breakdown of each of the votes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... _web#gid=0

@Ivan & Sparkz, if you guys want to pull data from this spreadsheet for an article please go ahead, ill put on my best suit and tie if you want to interview me as well :ugking: :ugking:
flyers3003
White Whale: Original Rarebit

Unread post by flyers3003 »

volantangel wrote:For the complete breakdown of each of the votes:

@Ivan & Sparkz, if you guys want to pull data from this spreadsheet for an article please go ahead, ill put on my best suit and tie if you want to interview me as well :ugking: :ugking:
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who voted the Different Deck for Best Campaign. I thought, between their multiple contests involving the cards and the H.O.P.E. sticker surprise that this was one of the best KS Campaigns by far.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sms69x wrote:[As for the best AoS I would also vote for the Kingdoms of a New World, but I dicided not to, since I haven't received my deck yet!
I haven't gotten mine, either - and I clearly prefer it over the winner we picked. (assuming that it is what was shown during the campaign, and if you love it, it just about has to be!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Sher wrote:I'm a bit surprised the Independence LTD tuck didn't take a place in the best tuck category. It's a pretty unique tuck and I liked how there was a diptych on it. Sure, it didn't have foiling, but I thought it was very well designed. I chose between this and Origins. As some people might know already, I have a thing for pearlescent tucks. Lol. I chose Origins for quite a number of categories already, though, and to me, independence got extra points for the innovative tuck box design and diptych. Ha, choosing Origins would have gotten me another 5 points, but I don't regret my choice, though I do acknowledge that the origins tuck is gorgeous as well.

I haven't opened my Independence LTD which is why I probably forgot about it. When I went rummaging through my stash, I picked up the Origins and fell in love with it all over again. The back of the Origins tuck was just amazing. I kind of wish it had that rubbery tuck feel of T11 Medalions though.

I was completely torn between Pagan and Origins for best courts. Ultimately, I settled with Pagan since the courts weren't the usual royals. I completely forgot about Requiem though!
volantangel wrote:What i am surprised was that seven seas didnt place higher on the best crowdfunded category. It was besides the smooth campaign that they run, the detail they put in for the packaging was what distinguished them from the crowd imo.
This one was tough because it's hard to recall how campaigns that were launched earlier in the year (or in the previous year) were run.
Cbkimble

Here's a thought. What about a thread where all decks are added, by members. No discussions, just pics of decks, courts, aces, tucs, jokers, etc. It would be similar to new and custom decks but like I said no discussions just images. Would help in choosing who to vote for next year. We wouldn't have to dig through decks. Decks could only be added once it was delivered. Just a thought.
Firthetic

Unread post by Firthetic »

I was rooting for Chris Ovdiyenko, kinda surprised his name didn't appear more often. The Oracle deck is gorgeous!
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

If you voted for Fed 52 on all categories last year, you would have been eligible for a prize. At least now it's all mixed up.
ivan

Unread post by ivan »

volantangel wrote:For the complete breakdown of each of the votes:

Spreadsheets are AWESOME! :ugdance: If I have time, I will do the usual infographics this weekend. :D

You might have to put your best suit and tie soon. ;)
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Firthetic wrote:I was rooting for Chris Ovdiyenko, kinda surprised his name didn't appear more often. The Oracle deck is gorgeous!
Same here. I I originally voted for oracle for best pips but changed it to Requiem. Actually it was a tie for me and I flipped a coin. Oracle won the flip but it nagged at me so I changed it to Requiem.
Cbkimble wrote:Here's a thought. What about a thread where all decks are added, by members. No discussions, just pics of decks, courts, aces, tucs, jokers, etc. It would be similar to new and custom decks but like I said no discussions just images. Would help in choosing who to vote for next year. We wouldn't have to dig through decks. Decks could only be added once it was delivered. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea. Actually what I did since many of the decks I either didn't open and a few I didn't own (Like uncuts) I did a quick Google image search for. I also did this for categories where I had 3 or more possible votes. It was faster than digging out all of my decks. :lol:

I am still kicking myself for changing my original vote for best use of colors. I originally had Dia De Los Muertos. I thought that since only one deck used a lot of color. (Excluding the LE) While Ornates White Ed used color for all 4. What it came down to was the Ornate black deck even used some color. Beautifully I might add. I should have flipped the coin again... :oops:
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I did that a lot too - just goes to show the range and quality last year!
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

montecarlojoe wrote:I did that a lot too - just goes to show the range and quality last year!

Indeed. There we so many great decks. So many, that I was wishing there was a 3 best decks for first place option. Especially for Backs, Pips, Courts and best deck. Even after trimming the decks that I knew I would not vote for there were still a ton of decks.

There was one thing that occurred to me. In some ways it was impossible to vote for decks from the "Big 3". With so many awesome KS and custom decks it just wasn't possible. I found myself wishing there were separate categories just for commercial decks. I damn near voted for Absinthe for best use of colors because the black/green combo was both sexy as hell and a rarely seen combination. Perhaps split categories for commercial and custom with Best Deck being a choice from either? Not sure. I leave it to sharper (and more caffeinated) minds than my own.... :D

PS As a side note, my most used deck for magic is Standard/Riderback Bikes. Simpy because anything else is met with some level of suspicion. Case in point, I take a deck with me everywhere. (Yes I have been known to do one handed cuts and springs on my "throne") When people see me doing a spring with custom decks the most common comment is, "Are those trick cards"? With Bikes it is nearly always, "Wow, how do you do that"! Food for thought? I need to lay off the caffeine.... :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance: :ugdance:
If it's too loud.... you're too old!