Black and White Actuators Updates

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
lancetmiller

Black and White Actuators Updates

Unread post by lancetmiller »

Hey guys,

Digging the new site styling!

In the spirit of keeping you all informed, here is the latest and greatest on the Black and Whites: (From Kickstarter)

OK. The biggest travel section of my year is done. Here's what it looked like briefly: (4 days and over 39 hours on the road) I had the week before packed with travel as well but not quite this intense. I know my travel bears little relevance to you receiving your rewards (aside from preventing me from packaging them), but a lot of you have come to love the craziness that is my life so I am sharing this. If you don't want to read about the schedule just skip to the last paragraph in this update. ;)

Thursday - Friday
300 miles: 5.5 Hours TN-OH
622 miles: 11.5 Hours OH-NYC

Saturday
367 miles: 6.5 Hours NYC-Salamanca NY
33 miles: Salamanca to Hotel
4.5 miles: Hotel to Walmart (emergency supplies)

Sunday
14 miles: Hotel to Church (wedding)
14 miles: Church to Hotel (I forgot something important)
14 miles: Hotel to Church
16 miles: Church to Reception
2 miles: Reception to Hotel

Monday - Tuesday
285 miles: Hotel to WV
546 miles WV to home

Total miles: 2217 not including brief detours for gas, food, rest stop etc.

Total driving time: 39 hours/25 mins not including time spent in other people's cars going to functions

Anyway, now I have the next three weeks to crank through these orders un-distracted. So look for your package email confirmation coming soon. If you don't get one immediately, remember, I am processing 522 individual backers and that part is done by just me and my wife. You guys know that I will take the utmost care in getting your rewards to you in a timely manner (as the postal service provides) and in the best condition. I am obsessive about how we package things. That is all for the moment!

- Lance
Russell

Re: Black and White Actuators Updates

Unread post by Russell »

Welcome! It's great to see another designer stop by.

I can't wait to get my hands on your cards!
laranovales

Unread post by laranovales »

Heya Lance! thanks for the update.
BTW your IG photos are super fun!
"why go through the world unnoticed?"
kc62002

Unread post by kc62002 »

You forgot the Rings!! :o

Love both colors but i think i'm most excited to get the white decks. can't wait :D
lancetmiller

kc62002 wrote:You forgot the Rings!! :o

Love both colors but i think i'm most excited to get the white decks. can't wait :D
Actually it wasn't the rings. [whew] What I forgot were the numbers for the reception tables for after the wedding; I had hand drawn them at the Bride's Mother's request. They were pretty neat little table identifiers. It would have been chaos without them though. :lol:

- Lance
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Might I suggest an airplane or boat for your next long journey.
Coconut

Unread post by Coconut »

Lance,

Will you ever make a deck that isn't limited edition? :P
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Lance,

Will you also be shipping out the decks that were ordered directly from your site?

Thanks!
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I don't know what order my pledge might be in, but my order shipped out yesterday. Looks like he was doing a lot of packing, so I bet a lot of people will be getting their decks soon.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
CBJ
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

Mine came in yesterday, but they came from BMPOKER

:)

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

it is more or less comprehensible that you can get the decks pledged at Kickstarter after wholesalers but I would like to know about the delay (stimated) the rest of the "mortal" backers have to wait to have them. Thats the only think I don't like about Kickstarter.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

max wrote:it is more or less comprehensible that you can get the decks pledged at Kickstarter after wholesalers but I would like to know about the delay (stimated) the rest of the "mortal" backers have to wait to have them. Thats the only think I don't like about Kickstarter.
Thats true.
Most times you can get a deck a bit cheaper (about $2 less then retail later on).If you sum up 10 decks like this and you don´t mind waiting on them you can save some money.
Look at the Cthulhu Playing Cards,only the early backer got the green version of it.
I can understand what you are saying,best example was the Vortex deck.People had paid for it so many weeks in advanced and the wholesellers (Aceking,One Eyed Jack) had them at least 2 month earlier while you, who had funded this deck, was waiing to get your decks.
lancetmiller

max wrote:it is more or less comprehensible that you can get the decks pledged at Kickstarter after wholesalers but I would like to know about the delay (stimated) the rest of the "mortal" backers have to wait to have them. Thats the only think I don't like about Kickstarter.
max,

The biggest thing to understand here, is that the decks ship direct from USPCC to certain individuals so that they have them in time for the world-wide release. In this case the decks went to 3 different companies so there is a chance that they will package their sales before mine. It's unfortunate yes, but it doesn't mean I don't love you guys. You personally know the care with which I regard my customers. I have been working and shipping orders non-stop since they've come in. Mostly I have been sitting here signing deck after deck to make sure people get the collectible item they are seeking. The other shippers don't have to do that, so they can just pop orders out the door. However, let's also reflect on what Kickstarter is: it is a non-traditional funding platform for starving artists like me to be able to bring an idea to life without having to go deeply into debt to accomplish it. I'm certainly not side-stepping any issues here. I believe my Kickstarters should get their decks before anyone else, period, but I know that I can't ship out over 1000 decks before those other guys can ship out 15 or 20. It's just not possible with all the logistics involved, and believe me, we've streamlined our process. We got through about 200 orders yesterday and about 250 the day before.
Packages will start arriving very soon at all my backer's locations. I am eternally grateful to everyone who has helped bring me success and remember, I'm just getting started. I have learned much, and I will get better with each new launch.
vasta41 wrote:Lance,

Will you also be shipping out the decks that were ordered directly from your site?

Thanks!
Vasta,

I litterally ran across your name in my shipping manifest yesterday. You may have even gotten an email stating yours has shipped. If so, it will hit the Post Office to go out Monday. :D I am looking for any KS backers that also ordered through my site. There is a bit of a process in that, but I am doing the best I can to make sure that if any backers also purchased direct through my site, that all of that goes into one package. Feel free to email me with any questions: lance@lancetmiller.com
Coconut wrote:Lance,

Will you ever make a deck that isn't limited edition? :P
Coconut,

Yes! I am making great strides in the community and with that comes distribution opportunities and more audience to sell cards to. Right now, I am maintaining steady growth in my product offerings and my company, but in the future, I will be making more decks available to more customers. However, there will be little runs along the way to keep up the collectible nature of these decks. My decks will not only retain value, but grow in value in the future. ;)
walrus wrote:Might I suggest an airplane or boat for your next long journey.
Walrus

You may suggest away :D, however the trip to NYC(Manhattan) was an unexpected detour from our intended trip to New York State. Thus, no plane or boat could be secured in such short amount of time. However, if you captain either then we should talk. I travel a lot; You might have noticed xD

- Lance

Back to backer rewards and order processing! If you need my attention sooner than I can get back to forums, email me! lance@lancetmiller.com ( I am watching that like a hawk right now )
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

lancetmiller wrote:
max,

The biggest thing to understand here, is that the decks ship direct from USPCC to certain individuals so that they have them in time for the world-wide release. In this case the decks went to 3 different companies so there is a chance that they will package their sales before mine. It's unfortunate yes, but it doesn't mean I don't love you guys. You personally know the care with which I regard my customers. I have been working and shipping orders non-stop since they've come in. Mostly I have been sitting here signing deck after deck to make sure people get the collectible item they are seeking. The other shippers don't have to do that, so they can just pop orders out the door. However, let's also reflect on what Kickstarter is: it is a non-traditional funding platform for starving artists like me to be able to bring an idea to life without having to go deeply into debt to accomplish it. I'm certainly not side-stepping any issues here. I believe my Kickstarters should get their decks before anyone else, period, but I know that I can't ship out over 1000 decks before those other guys can ship out 15 or 20. It's just not possible with all the logistics involved, and believe me, we've streamlined our process. We got through about 200 orders yesterday and about 250 the day before.
Packages will start arriving very soon at all my backer's locations. I am eternally grateful to everyone who has helped bring me success and remember, I'm just getting started. I have learned much, and I will get better with each new launch.
Lance, you know I have been your fan number one from the beginning and I am the most patient collector in the world. I just tried to make a reflection about Kickstarter itself as a way to get decks cheaper and/or faster, and it doesn't work in that way. I back at KS just because I do want to help people to make their dreams true (I hope when I publish my project everyone think the same :) ) and I perfectly understand all the obstacles you mention. I am used to receive my decks almost the last one in the world (indeed to not receive them as it is happening with the Living dead decks) but I have never complained against a creator because I feel their pain on this.

Waiting to have your decks (as soon as you can ;) )

Best wishes

Max
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I was going to post a long thought on being an independent designer, the impact of Kickstarter and how the resellers have many advantages that the small guys can't take advantage of.

In the end though, just know this: Lance is an awesome guy, he is working like a crazy person to you get your stuff, and he truly does care about his creations and his fans. In the end, I think we'll all be glad that we got to deal with a person like that, even if it meant an extra week of waiting.

:)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

cosmicsecret wrote:
Thats true.
Most times you can get a deck a bit cheaper (about $2 less then retail later on).If you sum up 10 decks like this and you don´t mind waiting on them you can save some money.
Look at the Cthulhu Playing Cards,only the early backer got the green version of it.
I can understand what you are saying,best example was the Vortex deck.People had paid for it so many weeks in advanced and the wholesellers (Aceking,One Eyed Jack) had them at least 2 month earlier while you, who had funded this deck, was waiing to get your decks.
Yes, but in most cases (I'm sure everyone knows what the exceptions are) I prefer to buy directly from the artist so that he/she gets the most support and can continue to thrive and make more awesome decks :)

And I agree whole-heartedly with Paul!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I would feel really bad if my words would have bothered you the artists, specially when my words are quoted and potentially refuted in a message that says things I completely agree with.

I think at this point I have demonstrated all I think about Kickstarter and how I support the people that believe on their dreams, specially on those talented artists like Lance, Paul, Russell and many others.

I just commented how long it takes to get the decks when you pledge in Kickstarter. I think the feeling is bigger just because you feel you are "buying" a deck when it is not even made so you wait not only to be delivered but also to be constructed. I didn't mention anything about the money and I ALWAYS prefer to buy directly to the creators, not only for the contact itself, that is amazing but also because they sometimes offer you special things such as signed decks (or a wardrobe door ;) ) I have not critizy the artist, but Kickstarter, and I dont blame on Kickstarter, just consider that the system a designer has to use to create and distribute his deck forces him to do it in that way (in fact, I think Lance has explained it perfectly).

Sorry for any (if any) misunderstanding...

Max
lancetmiller

Just wanted to thank everyone for coming do my defense. You all are amazing, and I am blessed to be part of this community. Thank you all!

To celebrate the world wide release of the B&W's: I have been posting shots of the decks all over my Facebook and Instagram. 3 of them have been labeled contest photos!

That's right! Right now, you have 3 chances to win some B&W Actuators.

Go here: http://www.facebook.com/LanceMillerDecks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Find the three contest photos, Tag yourself, and that's it. 3 Chances to win!

- Lance
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

I am still waiting for my decks and have not been able to contact Lance through FB, email and PM.

If anyone can help me to contact Lance, I will appreciate it.

Thanks

Max
katani84

Unread post by katani84 »

You are not alone :/ I am waiting too, but Lance did not respond to my emails.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

katani84 wrote:You are not alone :/ I am waiting too, but Lance did not respond to my emails.
Did you pledged for them n KS or did you buy them?

It is weird as although Lance is always very busy, he never spent so much time answering. I bought my decks on August...
katani84

Unread post by katani84 »

No Kickstarter (email). I bought decks a few months ago. Since then, silence.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Lance is a good guy. He probably has a reason to be MIA, and will make sure the problem is taken care of when he can.

Really, Lance is first on my list of deck designers I would vouch for :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

cosmicsecret wrote:
Thats true.
Seriously? I think the wholesalers had the Vortex deck about 6 months before most people actually got theirs. lol
The_Card_Collectors

Unread post by The_Card_Collectors »

I ordered my decks in September too, and have dropped him multiple emails and PMs on Facebook as well..but received no updates on my decks either..
noodle-11

Unread post by noodle-11 »

I haven't received my decks too.I order at mid of AUG :oops:
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

vjose32 wrote:
cosmicsecret wrote:
Thats true.
Seriously? I think the wholesalers had the Vortex deck about 6 months before most people actually got theirs. lol
I backed the original Kickstater....I still have yet to receive my Vortex decks. It's really quite saddening. Lance is pretty great, I had a problem getting in touch with him once but it was simply because my email slipped through the cracks. As soon as I sent him another email he answered promptly and ready to help. Give him some time, I think he will come through.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

MagikFingerz wrote:Lance is a good guy. He probably has a reason to be MIA, and will make sure the problem is taken care of when he can.

Really, Lance is first on my list of deck designers I would vouch for :)
Hello Tom,

Let me please make a comment about this as this is not the first time I make a comment about the service I receive and people "tell me off" saying the designer is a good guy.

I am, as I said a lot of times before, the fan number one of Lance Miller. I have had the chance to talk to him sometimes and he has always demonstrated to be a good guy, so I am not telling anything about him personally at all. Think he is a great guy, a great designer, and his art is an inspiration for many other designers and he is one of the very first of this exlosion of art in the playing cards world.

In fact, not everyone of us can say that have a Lance design in his wardrobe! :)

Once I have stated this, the only thing that has happened here is that I pledged for 6 decks in the Kickstarter campaign of the B&W Actuators and after that, Lance was really kind with me offering me a good chance to get a brick box buying six extra decks directly to him. I did that for many reasons: I like to buy directly to creators, as many times I can get a signed deck and as I really believe on playing cards creators. well, as said before, the only thing here is that I bought those extra decks on August and more than three months after that I have not received not only the decks but just an answer to any of my messages to his email and his Facebook accounts.

I have the feeling it is like a sacrilege to make a comment about an experience with such a respectfull guy in our community. Most of you know me since a lot of time and I am not one of those that speak about other with negative criticism at the very first moment. I posted about it just because I am worried about the reason Lance has not answered any of my messages for months and I have told nothing negative about him. k am just trying to contact him to know what has happened as, as you, I am sure there is a reason for it so I just wanted to solve it.

by the way, at this point, I have had to buy B&W Actuators from a wholesaler as I really needed that decks and couldn't imagine I wouldn't have them from Lance in December...

So, Lance, please, if you read this.... Send me an email!!!!!! :)

Best wishes

Max
walrus

Unread post by walrus »

Nothing wrong with what you are saying Max. It is annoying not getting your decks when you put out the dough. We went through this with someone else and it created and continues to create a lot of angst. I am puzzled as to why Lance is not updating people. Part of being a decent person is doing so. I hope the good will Lance has created does not go south. I should point out, I did receive my decks when he first announced delivery but that does not mean I do not pay attention to what is happening with others.
lumpyliew

Unread post by lumpyliew »

Shiiiiaaattt.. I missed the KS , any idea where can I get them ? BMpokerworld?
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!