Disgruntled Collectors Collective

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Disgruntled Collectors Collective

Unread post by volantangel »

Has there ever been a time, where something arrives in your mail one fine day. All excited you open up the package, but instead of jumping with joy and you went scratching your head, asking yourself why did you buy this deck?? Or is it that time, after opening up that deck of cards with the pretty box, finding its contents utterly distasteful, throwing the deck into that box all the way in the back of the cupboard, never to see daylight ever again.

Im sure everyone has had an experience or two like that, in this little section we are here to help you reconcile that bad experience, ensuring that others learn from your mistakes as well.

Welcome to the Disgruntled Collectors Collective !
Eoghann

Re: Disgruntled Collectors Collective

Unread post by Eoghann »

What was the name of that deck?
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

I haven't been collecting that long so Nothing yet. I do feel that way about the Elements campaign. Do KS projects count? I'm sure there are some Founders backers among us.....
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
volantangel

Well for one, if you have a VORTEX DECK, take it from me, don't open it, it has the ugliest face cards that should remain in its box.

Another deck that was terrible for me was the bicycle faith deck, absolutely terrible PLUS utterly horrid handling
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

A War of Kings. The artwork looked awesome but the cards were absolutely horrible quality and the tuckbox was falling apart when I first opened it. And they have the most noxious smell I've ever encountered with cards. I think I took them out once since I got them and that was because I was curious if they really were as bad as my first impression or if I was imagining things. I wasn't imagining things, so they're sitting in the bottom of a box, in the back of the storage cupboard.
Attachments
image.jpg
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

What I've tried is opening my package and wondering why I only got one deck when I should have gotten two or more.
volantangel

Yashi wrote:What I've tried is opening my package and wondering why I only got one deck when I should have gotten two or more.
Haha that happens more often than not doesnt it ? :lol: :lol:
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

volantangel wrote:
Yashi wrote:What I've tried is opening my package and wondering why I only got one deck when I should have gotten two or more.
Haha that happens more often than not doesnt it ? :lol: :lol:
Actually, as time goes by the opposite tends to happen to me more often.

"Did I really need 2 or 3 of this?"

Hence why I have a whole box of "to sell/trade" that I still haven't gotten around to doing anything about :roll:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

I think the worst offender for me is the Version issue.........

You do all your due diligence in asking the seller/trader all the right questions to insure that the Black Tigers your working on are indeed the Ohio UV500 they claim and they give you all the right answers.......even the right pic :roll: (ah the internet, such a resource for finding the images you need)

Then they arrive and sure enough, current version.

Outside of that, so far, so good :D
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by SBurk49 »

My thing right now its KS fulfillment dates that are pissing me off. I almost rather them take their estimated delivery date and add 6 months.

I'd rather it say next year delivery and you surprise me a few months early, then have Sept 2014 listed, and in reality, I'm looking at December 2014 or possibly 2015.
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

SBurk49 wrote:My thing right now its KS fulfillment dates that are pissing me off. I almost rather them take their estimated delivery date and add 6 months.

I'd rather it say next year delivery and you surprise me a few months early, then have Sept 2014 listed, and in reality, I'm looking at December 2014 or possibly 2015.
Okay, I think adding 6 months is going a little overboard. 6 months gets them into the Hall of Shame. Most actually do fulfill in less than that time. I think maybe 2-3 months overdue, but it's not common to be past 6 months or upwards of a year (Shane Tyree's campaign is not the norm).
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I think my only real "what the hell was I thinking?!" moment came when I opened up my Tinker decks...

I liked them on the screen ok (a bit basic but nice idea), but in real life... meh.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

I already regret a few of the KS projects I pledged for during some kind of KS comeback I did earlier this year, and they haven't even arrived yet.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I've often wondered: if disgruntled means that you are not pleased, if you are happy does that make you gruntled?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

To be fair their have been more decks that I was blown away by how much nicer the cards were than what I was expecting, but I certainly can name a few that I received and was completely nonplussed about.
A short list:
Bicycle Haunted Playing Cards
Bicycle Old Masters
Really pretty much anything by collectible playing cards (there are just no thrills added to them)
Also decks by Elite Playing Cards ( I liked their style early on but it is just so repetitive now)(
The Different deck
Mythos Necronomicon ( they ended up being too busy for my taste, also they weren't the Cthulhu deck they originally designed, which , at the time I really wanted)
Quicksilver playing cards

Those are the ones I can think of right now, there are a few other I can think of that I didn't expect anything from in the first place so wasn't disappointed when that was what I received.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
volantangel

Hey ! At least you got your quicksilvers ! Im still waiting for mine (ive long given up)
Enfant de Novembre
Decks Owned: 52

Unread post by Enfant de Novembre »

Since a disappointment with my current ordering of playing cards is what originally brought me here, I guess it aint wrong to make my first post in here. After all I'm not a very active collector (and with deck prices constantly rising, I forsee an even less active "career" in collecting for me).

That said, what disgruntled me (just today!) was receiving one wrong deck in an order of only three decks.

But when it comes to really disappointing decks, I have yet to come by a deck that is a larger let-down than Black Horse Comics' "Tim Burton Playing Cards", which sell at the price of a regular deck (I paid 6,90 Euro) but turn out to be cheap card stock with a simple glossy finish and using the same three images for the courts in each suit.

I certainly fell for the big name there, not for one second suspecting it might be cheap merchandise!
ddorn

Unread post by ddorn »

I guess I'm sort of 'gruntled' by a deck I found on Kickstarter. When it came out, I was in my "Must buy Everything" phase, as others have mentioned in their collecting progression. I thought the idea was unique, so I pledged for 1.

Fulfillment took so long, I finally gave up, after almost 1 year. I finally got the deck, last week.

By this time, I'd grown in my experience, and expectations, and definitely tastes, so was expecting to be quite underwhelmed.

Yes, the card stock is horrible. The cards were cut with terrible corners that don't line up. The finish is so cheap, I've seen better on cereal boxes. But... I have to say, the content of the cards, themselves are to-die-for. This was the Autocorrect Epic Fail cards.

Absolutely hilarious. I laughed as I read them, and I couldn't tell my kids what was up, as they were so raunchy. My face still hurts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31 ... rds-deck-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll never play a game with these cards. Will not display them. I probably (defintely) over-paid for them, But I'll sure bring them out when I need a good laugh.
volantangel

ddorn wrote:I guess I'm sort of 'gruntled' by a deck I found on Kickstarter. When it came out, I was in my "Must buy Everything" phase, as others have mentioned in their collecting progression. I thought the idea was unique, so I pledged for 1.

Fulfillment took so long, I finally gave up, after almost 1 year. I finally got the deck, last week.

By this time, I'd grown in my experience, and expectations, and definitely tastes, so was expecting to be quite underwhelmed.

Yes, the card stock is horrible. The cards were cut with terrible corners that don't line up. The finish is so cheap, I've seen better on cereal boxes. But... I have to say, the content of the cards, themselves are to-die-for. This was the Autocorrect Epic Fail cards.

Absolutely hilarious. I laughed as I read them, and I couldn't tell my kids what was up, as they were so raunchy. My face still hurts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/31 ... rds-deck-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll never play a game with these cards. Will not display them. I probably (defintely) over-paid for them, But I'll sure bring them out when I need a good laugh.
Haha i had a good laugh reading your post, lets chalk it up to amateur mistakes ! Everyone has them =D