The Blue & The Purple

Off-topic randomness, anything goes. Keep it PG-13.
RSLancastr
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 2500

The Blue & The Purple

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Here is a long and very personal story.

Hardly any Playing Cards mentioned, sorry. I just wanted to share it all with you after reading the thread about Purple Decks here.

==========[ THE BLUE AND THE PURPLE ]==========

When My Susan and I were first dating back in 2002, the first time I visited her home I noticed that there were an awful lot oif Blue things most everywhere I looked: Blue carpet, Blue towels, Blue glasses and dishes - even the walls were a light Blue.

I remarked on it, and she said that Blue was her favorite color.

I told her that I totally understood being a little crazy about a favorite color, and that mine was Purple.

She did not believe me at first, until I emptied my pockets and showed her a penlight, pocket knife, keychain and more - all of them Purple.

Soon after that, I noticed her wearing a Purple blouse on one of our dates.

When I asked if she had bought it because it was my favorite color, she said "This old thing? I've had it forever!" (Yeah, right...).

Whenever we went shopping together, if we saw items sold in a pair - a Blue one and a Purple one (such as Combs and Toothbrushes) we would buy them.

We got married in 2007, and the easiest decision about the ceremony was The Wedding Colors - Blue and Purple!

Her bridesmaids wore blue dresses.

My groomsmen and I wore tuxes with various shades of purple vests, ties and cummerbuns (sp?).

Her bouquet was a nosegay of Blue and Purple flowers with five Yellow Roses(Yellow Roses being her favorite flower, and what I brought for her on our first several dates).

My groomsmen and I wore bouteniers (sp?) made of a Blue flower, a Purple flower, and a Yellow rose bud.

There were Blue and Purple candles, flowers, candy, and more.

It was the second marriage for each of us. On one of our very first dates, she had told me that she never wanted to get married again (last time I fall for THAT line!), but that if she ever did, she would not want a diamond on the ring.

Diamonds were clear and boring, she said, and she would much rather have a stone with some color - an emerald or a ruby, perhaps.

Five years later we were shopping for wedding rings, and the sales clerk kept showing us diamond rings until Susan said that she wanted a stone with some color - a ruby or an emerald, perhaps.

The clerk brought out several rings with Ruby or Emerald stones, but nothing really "grabbed" us - until a light bulb went on over my head and I said:

"I know! Your ring should have a Blue stone surrounded by Purple stones, symbolizing you surrounded by my love. And mine should have a Purple stone surrounded by Blue stones - me, surrounded by your love!"

Both Susan and the sales clerk went "Aaaawwwww!", and it was decided!

It turned out that we could not afford all of the "surrounding" stones, so her ring ended up with a Blue Sapphire with a Purple amethyst on either side, mine - a Purple amethyst with a Blue sapphire on either side.

They are unusual, and make for a lovely story to share with people (such as on message boards!)

As I said, we buy things that are Blue & Purple, so I bought this as soon as I saw it:

See, I got some playing cards in there!

Thanks for bearing with my long story.
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Re: The Blue & The Purple

Unread post by MJF »

Excellent story! Glad you've got someone that supports your hobby... as a few other guys on here states their loved ones "tolerate" it. ;)
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I love reading stories like this. I can only hope I get my own stories in the future :)

Thanks for sharing!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RSLancastr

MJF wrote:Excellent story! Glad you've got someone that supports your hobby... as a few other guys on here states their loved ones "tolerate" it. ;)
She supports it a bit grudgingly these days, since we moved into an apartment where storage space is at a minimum, :( but support it she does!
MagikFingerz wrote:I love reading stories like this. I can only hope I get my own stories in the future :)

Thanks for sharing!
Here's hoping that you, unlike me, don't have to go through a 23-year marriage and an unpleasant divorce before you meet the someone with whom you have a story like mine with my Susan!
-Marcel Marceau
dazzleguts
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I am on my second go around as well. Practice makes it better.

My beloved is very interested in my card collecting and often urges me to buy a deck I might otherwise cheap out on. It helps that he collects music just as avidly as I collect cards. With 2 collections building we are also facing storage challenges. Amazing what you can accumulate, even with harsh money constraints.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
RSLancastr

congrats on getting a good one second time around, dazzle!

My first wife was a good wife, and a great mother to our three children, but threw in the towel when the going got tough after 23 years of marriage..

My Susan, on the other hand, has stuck with me through some damnably tough times, including my stroke and heart attack, and is my caregiver now that I'm in a wheelchair.

My ex, on the other hand, would probably have pushed me down a flight of stairs by now, wheelchair and all.
-Marcel Marceau
decksparadise

Unread post by decksparadise »

This is soooooo touching!
Simplicity is beautiful.
RSLancastr

decksparadise wrote:This is soooooo touching!
Thanks, decksparadise!
-Marcel Marceau