Mount Olympus Playing Cards - Live on KS

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Fes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Re: Mount Olympus Playing Cards - Live on KS

Unread post by Fes »

cherrynukacola wrote:Leverno can you explain the whole Ellusionist stuff? Dan's uncovered some stuff on PCF that is making me a little uncomfortable about my pledge...
I would like to know more as well, was just over there and read that. :( I'm extremely uncomfortable about my pledge too. In about five seconds, I'll be much happier again though.

Happy again, still would like to know.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Levereno »

Hey everyone,

I realized that this was a silly and a big mistake to use a trademarked company and show their affiliations with your project. I'm here to fix my mistake which will probably have a huge impact on the credibility of my project. I know I shouldn't have done that, and would sincerely like to apologize.

I did get a clearance through from the ellusionist's facebook page. I communicated with them for a week and asked "Andrew", an admin member in their page to do so. I have no idea If I was falsely informed and should have contacted the website instead. I contacted Brad and asked him to solve the problem. He agreed that he was not told about the situation and no clearance to promote the deck was given by his members. This is a puzzling situation for me. I have removed the ellusionists link from my project and will inform the backers immediately. Thanks for supporting me so far everyone! and apologies for this once again.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Levereno wrote:Hey everyone,

I realized that this was a silly and a big mistake to use a trademarked company and show their affiliations with your project. I'm here to fix my mistake which will probably have a huge impact on the credibility of my project. I know I shouldn't have done that, and would sincerely like to apologize.

I did get a clearance through from the ellusionist's facebook page. I communicated with them for a week and asked "Andrew", an admin member in their page to do so. I have no idea If I was falsely informed and should have contacted the website instead. I contacted Brad and asked him to solve the problem. He agreed that he was not told about the situation and no clearance to promote the deck was given by his members. This is a puzzling situation for me. I have removed the ellusionists link from my project and will inform the backers immediately. Thanks for supporting me so far everyone! and apologies for this once again.
Exactly how did you get in touch with this Andrew?
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Marcus wrote:

His name was Andrew Hart and he was a page admin on the ellusionists facebook page. I contacted him and approached him regarding the promotion of my deck. He asked me to wait a few days and contacted me right away giving me some sort of a "clearance" to feature their website on my deck project. I have no idea what was about to unfold. This is bad for me, my reputation and my credibility. Really bad. False move I didn't contact the website directly.

I've worked just worked WAY too much on this project, working day and night, heck sometimes I didn't even sleep the entire night just to complete a court. It took me 4 months to get everything together and it's sad to see it go down like that.

The backers are probably thinking I lied and "faked" the ellusionists website feature which is not true at all.

My advice to Brad would be to find that individual, and query him about his fake authority.

Andrew and I also talked about some promotion cash. Which I'm glad the situation cleared itself before me paying any penny.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Levereno wrote:
Marcus wrote:

His name was Andrew Hart and he was a page admin on the ellusionists facebook page. I contacted him and approached him regarding the promotion of my deck. He asked me to wait a few days and contacted me right away giving me some sort of a "clearance" to feature their website on my deck project. I have no idea what was about to unfold. This is bad for me, my reputation and my credibility. Really bad. False move I didn't contact the website directly.

I've worked just worked WAY too much on this project, working day and night, heck sometimes I didn't even sleep the entire night just to complete a court. It took me 4 months to get everything together and it's sad to see it go down like that.

The backers are probably thinking I lied and "faked" the ellusionists website feature which is not true at all.

My advice to Brad would be to find that individual, and query him about his fake authority.

Andrew and I also talked about some promotion cash. Which I'm glad the situation cleared itself before me paying any penny.
Did you honestly think the person who runs the FB page has the authority to do anything like this? I mean that's just lol ridiculous. You have made so made errors and mis-steps with this project (c'mon, your cards still say Ohio on them??) it shows that you don't really understand what you've gotten into. So many alarm bells.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

Strag wrote:
Levereno wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Did you honestly think the person who runs the FB page has the authority to do anything like this? I mean that's just lol ridiculous. You have made so made errors and mis-steps with this project (c'mon, your cards still say Ohio on them??) it shows that you don't really understand what you've gotten into. So many alarm bells.
None of this makes sense Scott. I doubt I'm the only one that thinks this is a complete ball of horse crap. Strag has the right of it, it's absolutely ridiculous. :cry:
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Marcus
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Marcus »

Levereno wrote: His name was Andrew Hart and he was a page admin on the ellusionists facebook page. I contacted him and approached him regarding the promotion of my deck. He asked me to wait a few days and contacted me right away giving me some sort of a "clearance" to feature their website on my deck project. I have no idea what was about to unfold. This is bad for me, my reputation and my credibility. Really bad. False move I didn't contact the website directly.

See, there's a major problem here. Nobody by that name could have responded to any of your messages sent to their Facebook page, since nobody by that name (or even anywhere close to it) has ever been an admin there. So as you see, something here just doesn't add up. I know the guys who run it now, and I know everyone (including myself) who's been in charge of it in the past.

Your explanation leads to more questions than answers.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.
Xntrix

Unread post by Xntrix »

Levereno wrote:I did get a clearance through from the ellusionist's facebook page. I communicated with them for a week and asked "Andrew", an admin member in their page to do so. I have no idea If I was falsely informed and should have contacted the website instead. I contacted Brad and asked him to solve the problem. He agreed that he was not told about the situation and no clearance to promote the deck was given by his members. This is a puzzling situation for me. I have removed the ellusionists link from my project and will inform the backers immediately. Thanks for supporting me so far everyone! and apologies for this once again.
Levereno wrote: His name was Andrew Hart and he was a page admin on the ellusionists facebook page. I contacted him and approached him regarding the promotion of my deck. He asked me to wait a few days and contacted me right away giving me some sort of a "clearance" to feature their website on my deck project.
Levereno wrote:The backers are probably thinking I lied and "faked" the ellusionists website feature which is not true at all.
Scott,

As Marketing Manager at Ellusionist, I can say unequivocally that there is not, nor has there ever been an 'Andrew Hart' affiliated in any way with the Ellusionist Facebook page.

Furthermore, at no time did we receive a message through Facebook (or any other means) discussing any sort of affiliation with these cards - that message would have immediately been referred to me, and a search of messages received on Facebook from your name or with any of the keywords associated with this project returns zero results.

I understand that our support staff have referred this issue directly to Brad, and that the 'affiliation' with Ellusionist has been removed from Kickstarter. I have not discussed with Brad or our legal team any recourse for damages, however I would strongly advise that you consider clarifying outright, here and on the Kickstarter project page, any unethical or ill-advised choices you've made before your project has even come to fruition.

The Playing Card Community is a tight-knit one - and it's 90% of your customer base. News travels fast, gossip even faster and starting your company with an outright lie is a sure-fire way to see your efforts go down in flames.

I hope the rest of your venture continues on a stronger, more transparent foundation.

All the best,

-Jake.
nesuferit

Unread post by nesuferit »

Scott, now there's an introduction stating Max Playing Cards is involved in your project, at least that is what I understand being no native english speaker.
Max has not even published an article about your project yet nor has any info regarding your project on his website.
Could you please clarify this point?

Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

I think he's trying too hard. If the design is good, if you're honest, and if you regularly release updates, people will buy it. I don't think dropping big names was going to help much. He ended up killing his own project just a few days after launch.
max
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by max »

Thank you so much @nesuferit for your comment.

I realized this thing and was the first surprised. I contacted Scott to make an article about the deck and he asked me for some advice about the way to improve the project. I never understood he planned to write Max Playing Cards as a "partner" of the project.

I immediately wrote him to ask what happened and to have that fixed.

Although I have not received his answer, he has already take it off. I have stated publicly I like this deck and I even pledged for it. I was also preparing an article about the deck but I think he is going to cancel the project and retool it. I think (I want to think) this has been just a misunderstanding but I sincerely hope he contacts me to explain this personally.
alvinhy
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by alvinhy »

What I think he is trying to do is for those who "mentioned" the project on their website like Max and maybe ellusionist to post on their Facebook, he would add their link to the kickstarter page.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

alvinhy wrote:What I think he is trying to do is for those who "mentioned" the project on their website like Max and maybe ellusionist to post on their Facebook, he would add their link to the kickstarter page.

Exactly. See the 'In The Press' section of this KS project - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pm ... ards-phase

I pulled my pledge, even though it was just a single deck and EB as well. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt on this one in regards to intentions, but I am still skeptical. It's possible it really was just 2 really bad assumptions and poor business mistakes, but my concern is what does this say about future business and artistic decisions, including financial ones? To me it says expect delays at best, open ended at the worst scenarios. If I hadn't over spent in the past few months trying to catch up on decks I might have let it ride since personally it was low risk, but the pull wasn't strong enough to overcome the concerns and I also felt on principal I didn't want to be a part of this.

Still, I like the artwork and wish the project the best. Please LEARN from this and don't hide or quit trying, just do it right next time, but take your time to regroup first. Especially if this first attempt fails.
alvinhy
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by alvinhy »

Also one of the biggest mistakes is to lie about the "andrew" guy on Facebook.
It did not just hurt his reputation but also put Ellusionist in a bad spot.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I just cancelled my pledge as well. IMO, the best course of action for this guy is to cancel the project and start it back up in a month or two. wait till things settle down.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

We'll cancel the project soon. This mistake has cost us just too much.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Levereno wrote:We'll cancel the project soon. This mistake has cost us just too much.
it's a shame this happened b/c I really like the deck. mistakes do happen. I truly hope you try again later.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Cbkimble wrote:
Levereno wrote:We'll cancel the project soon. This mistake has cost us just too much.
it's a shame this happened b/c I really like the deck. mistakes do happen. I truly hope you try again later.
Thanks, will do. :)
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Project Cancelled.