Choice Playing cards (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Choice Playing cards (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Choice Playing cards (KS)

Unread post by Levereno »

IMO it looks like he got lazy when designing the card back. Shows lack of effort. Doesn't really have a theme. Just shows a bunch of elements disconnected with each other in terms of relativity. Courts look unprofessionally illustrated. Looks like an awful paint job. Or a horrible pencil coloring. Choice playing cards? Like what does that even mean?

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Pretty sure the back is targeted at cardists. I'm of the understanding that cardists prefer simple backs. Makes it easier for the spectator to register the movements I think?
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

It's a little too simple.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I agree with the rest of the comments. I really like the card faces, but the name, tuck and backs are certainly enough to keep me away. Next!
Magic_Orthodoxy
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

If you follow Edo Huang on instagram (http://instagram.com/edohuang" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) he's posted lots of videos of the deck in action (flourishing and magic)
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
Mirror
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by Mirror »

I like the back but not the faces. While I definitely think that he has great talent, the deck just isn't for me.
Fes
White Whale: The Dude Deck

Unread post by Fes »

I like the courts okay, I like the Jacks best. That bit of color makes them look pretty sharp. Tuck box is terrible, I don't like it. I hope they change that a bit. I think the card backs will look pretty sharp. Ace of hearts and ace of diamonds could use a little tweaking, they create an illusion for me of being a bit off, or they just are a bit off. Heart appears lopsided and diamond appears slightly bowed.

I'm backing them, I just hope they fix these minor things. Crisp the deck up a bit. The tuck box is so bad I may stash it and forget I even have them. I'm considering lowering my current pledge. I'll still back this though.
TL:DR It's completely up to you.
We can still be friends.
I actually like playing cards.
We live in interesting times.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fes wrote:I like the courts okay, I like the Jacks best. That bit of color makes them look pretty sharp. Tuck box is terrible, I don't like it. I hope they change that a bit. I think the card backs will look pretty sharp. Ace of hearts and ace of diamonds could use a little tweaking, they create an illusion for me of being a bit off, or they just are a bit off. Heart appears lopsided and diamond appears slightly bowed.

I'm backing them, I just hope they fix these minor things. Crisp the deck up a bit. The tuck box is so bad I may stash it and forget I even have them. I'm considering lowering my current pledge. I'll still back this though.
Courts do look good WITHOUT the horrible coloring.

Also, Not sure what he was thinking when he was making the king of hearts? The king seems mutated with 2 arms popping out from the same side! It almost gives the illusion that someone is backstabbing the king.

He should seriously think about changing thatt.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Ok here's my take, i don't see much to like here, the courts are horribly inconsistent, some large some small, the proportions of the courts are not good as well. Some have lots of negative space and some have barely anything at all. The back is quite boring, and the choice word on the tuck is plain weird.

Since this is choice playing cards, I choose not to support it. The only thing I think they changed from the first campaign is the printer. Sadly it's the artwork that needs changing
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

Levereno wrote: Also, Not sure what he was thinking when he was making the king of hearts? The king seems mutated with 2 arms popping out from the same side! It almost gives the illusion that someone is backstabbing the king.

I didn't even see that. Always scroll down Fes, always scroll down. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good spot there, thanks for saving me some cash. :D
We can still be friends.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fes wrote:
Levereno wrote: Also, Not sure what he was thinking when he was making the king of hearts? The king seems mutated with 2 arms popping out from the same side! It almost gives the illusion that someone is backstabbing the king.

I didn't even see that. Always scroll down Fes, always scroll down. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good spot there, thanks for saving me some cash. :D
no prob! You should notify him in the comments section to redo the card if you are planning on buying the deck. It would bring a big disappointment to all those 65 backers once they receive it.

Another awful mistake. jack of clubs seems to be a kooky mutant from mars. What the heck was he thinking? His sleeve and hand seems to be starting from the middle of his chest. he looks like a one arm human unicorn. Just look at the starting point of his sleeve. Unbelievable.

Oh God, He repeats his mistake. Unbelievable. Another blunder. Where the hand/sleve popping out on this one? Just look at where the sleeve starts on the queen. Gave me a big gag when I saw this. The designer has just bulldozed human proportions. should seriosuly think about fixing this.

And he repeats the same darn mistake with Queen of Clubs.

This card is accurate. Not sure what the hell he was thinking when making those queens. You can see clearly here that her sleeve or hand starts accurately with correct proportion to her body.

I would be rather interested in buying those court dresses instead of this deck. Would be a life long puzzle solving how that would even possible 'work'. Again, he should be notified. Backers will either not notice or will seriously regret buying it once they receive it. Someone please drop him a comment or send him the link to this post.

I wonder how many of these simple blunders are left which I haven't noticed or which he hasn't shown yet.

Apart from the funky tuck box, empty back design, negative space, he makes simple proportion mistakes!

1 word for this deck: Weird.
volantangel wrote: Since this is choice playing cards, I choose not to support it. The only thing I think they changed from the first campaign is the printer. Sadly it's the artwork that needs changing
I see what you did there, Ahaha.
Fes

Unread post by Fes »

Can't post there anymore. Woke up all Zombie and stumbled around. Before the coffee was even finished I logged in and dropped the pledge entirely. Too many good decks coming and here, for me to even continue thinking about this one. No amount of commenting will change the Courts.
by volantangel
The only thing I think they changed from the first campaign is the printer. Sadly it's the artwork that needs changing
The artist hasn't done anything so he's content with what he has. Same art in two campaigns now, it is what it is and this cat isn't going to make any significant fixes. When they use the same art in two campaigns, I find they're pretty dedicated to it. I just looked at the initial KS and yep, that heart is indeed lopsided. No illusion there. Laziness or artistic choice? Either way best of luck to him, way to stick to his guns, all that. :)
We can still be friends.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Levereno - I agree the QoD and QoC looks kind of off, but I do like the KoH. There might be a little truth in that mutant arm theory.

If you look at the first "Suicide King" dated 1680 by C. Hewson. Look at JoC to find the name of the artist.http://whiteknucklecards.com/earlystand ... n1680.html

Notice the other 2 kings have swords. What does the KoH have? Looks like a dagger. Assassins used daggers. The arm with the icepick is gold. It doesn't look like the KoH's other arm. So maybe Hewson's intention was for it to be the "Murdered King" Notice the KoH has a mustache. Today's KoH doesn't have one. He lost it along the way due to a smudge, but that another story.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-09-28 09.21.35.png
Screenshot 2014-09-28 09.21.35.png (146.36 KiB) Viewed 917 times
RussellSprouts
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

sprouts1115 wrote:@Levereno - I agree the QoD and QoC looks kind of off, but I do like the KoH. There might be a little truth in that mutant arm theory.

If you look at the first "Suicide King" dated 1680 by C. Hewson. Look at JoC to find the name of the artist.http://whiteknucklecards.com/earlystand ... n1680.html

Notice the other 2 kings have swords. What does the KoH have? Looks like a dagger. Assassins used daggers. The arm with the icepick is gold. It doesn't look like the KoH's other arm. So maybe Hewson's intention was for it to be the "Murdered King" Notice the KoH has a mustache. Today's KoH doesn't have one. He lost it along the way due to a smudge, but that another story.
Haven't thought of it that way. But yeah, maybe.

Actually the KOH is most famously known as the "suicide king" no matter who you ask rather than "murdered king". Unless you are into books like Davinci code or a theorist who likes to back away from traditional thinking then you might have a say. Sure.

Not sure if he was depicting "the suicide king" or a murdered king. This is new to me.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fes wrote:Can't post there anymore. Woke up all Zombie and stumbled around. Before the coffee was even finished I logged in and dropped the pledge entirely. Too many good decks coming and here, for me to even continue thinking about this one. No amount of commenting will change the Courts.
by volantangel
The only thing I think they changed from the first campaign is the printer. Sadly it's the artwork that needs changing
The artist hasn't done anything so he's content with what he has. Same art in two campaigns now, it is what it is and this cat isn't going to make any significant fixes. When they use the same art in two campaigns, I find they're pretty dedicated to it. I just looked at the initial KS and yep, that heart is indeed lopsided. No illusion there. Laziness or artistic choice? Either way best of luck to him, way to stick to his guns, all that. :)
I say it's laziness. Why only make the hearts lopsided? all other look porportionate, except hearts. It would make sense if other suites were porportionally altered as well. But only making the hearts lopside hmmmmm what purpose does that serve?

Can't say it's laziness as well. If we're noticing this simple mistake on the hearts don't you think the artist already knows about it? since of course he was making it. He knows about it. And he never gave us a reason as to why he did so to a single suite. I call this flawed artistic laziness. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: