[Jock1971] My Collection

Members are welcome and encouraged to "Show Their Cards" here. Don't be bashful!
Forum rules
  1. Make a new thread. Be sure to put your username in square brackets [] at the beginning of the title.

2. Write a small (or big, if you want) introduction about you, your collection and your collecting habits.

3. Post as many pictures of your decks as you want in your thread, with or without descriptions.
    (But please refrain from posting pictures of your collection in someone else's thread.)

4. Have fun with it, be creative, and check out other users' threads as well :)

Sher
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Re: [Jock1971] My Collection

Unread post by Sher »

Oh cool, nice to see how playing card design progressed over time :)

I really like the courts on that Napoleon III deck.

What is the story behind decks with only dots instead of pips? There are no suits?
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Sher wrote:What is the story behind decks with only dots instead of pips? There are no suits?
Hi There Sher :D Canasta originated in Latin America Late 1930`s-Early 1940`s .it became very popular in Britain and America in the 1950`s,It`s played with 2 full packs of cards and 4 jokers thats 106 cards in total. The Boom in popularity caused the inclusion of a 2nd joker into Modern decks,before this time only 1 joker was the norm.
As for the dots,In canasta suits have no value,( you don`t do Flushes),There are only Black cards or Red cards.Most of my canasta packs are normal decks but i`ve seen a few packs with dots from spain and i think i have an ausralian one somewhere.so finding a waddingtons one for me was really cool.

Code: Select all

[quote="Sher"] I really like the courts on that Napoleon III deck.  
Haha i know you like your French cards so here`s another pack from Dussere
100_1168.JPG
This one is Titled "Jeu Roman" and is dated 1990. i`ll do scans of both packs soon for the Worldwide.
Eoghann wrote:Oh wow you actually got a tuck with the Rouen repro. Mine just came with a rubber band. :lol:
Hiya Eoghann :D Yes the company i got them from do tucks for all there reproduction decks. Heres a German set i got from them .Scans of this deck can be found in the German thread of worldwide.
100_1141.JPG
A couple of Red and Blues from Paitnik next.
100_1166.JPG
and last today a double patience set from Mardon,Son & Hall, notice the Ace is more ornate that the ace from the larger packs, this is the first time i have seen this variation.
100_1165.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Hi Jase,

Thanks for explaining that for me. :) It's cool to learn how Canasta influenced the current composition of cards in a deck. And that's a cool deck! What are the texts on the number cards?
Jock1971

Sher wrote:Hi Jase,

Thanks for explaining that for me. :) It's cool to learn how Canasta influenced the current composition of cards in a deck. And that's a cool deck! What are the texts on the number cards?
Hi there Sher :D . Thanks for the Question. :) Are you and Dazzelguts Tag teaming me ? :lol: :lol: While one`s away on holiday the other keeps me busy so i don`t hang up my Kodak ?? :lol: only kidding keep the questions coming..
The text on the pack with dots on only shows the description of certain cards they are- Joker`s & 2`s are Wild Cards and the Red 3 is a Bonus Card while the Black 3 is a Stop Card. i do not know how to play Canasta nor have i seen it played so am without any knowledge in that area, but i do know that each card has a value which is -
Jokers = 50 points, Aces & 2`s = 20 points, 4`s through to 7`s =5 point, 8`s through to Kings =10 points,
and the Red 3`s = 100 points and the Black 3`s =5 points.
i have a waddintons set with these values on Normal cards on P 6 and that Australian one i have is on P 7.

Here`s a part set of Miniature Cards made by Mardon,Son & Hall for the Jersey Tobacco company and dated around 1933.17 cards in total,the card with the back showing is another Ace of clubs
100_1175.JPG
One of these cards were placed inside a Packet of 10 cigarettes and when a whole pack of 52 cards were collected they could be exchanged for a full-sized Good quality pack of playing cards.This was part of the "Wills Scheme" of the early 1930`s.
I got a few modern decks recently to make up pairs and set`s ,instead of taking pictures of just one i decided to take pictures of the sets as well as some of the old pictures are not very good. so today a White Ltd from Ellusionist.
100_1173.JPG
I didn`t like the picture i took of the 3 pack set a while ago because it came out fuzzy. and would you believe all the pictures i took of the 4 packs came out fuzzy :ugdance: so this one was the best of the lot.
Next up a sealed De La Rue pack. the Delesi range was exclusively sold in W H Smiths Stores.
100_1181.JPG
Last today is a Waddington Pack, This pack was specially designed by Susan Rae for Queen Elizabeth`s Silver Jubilee in 1977. The courts are repeating and the suit symbols have been replaced by the national flower of each country in the U.K, English Rose, Irish Shamrock, Welsh Daffodil and the Scottish Thistle.
100_1179.JPG
Thanks once again for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

First today a Thomas De La Rue Bezique set. Really nice box but cards are well used.
100_1189.JPG
In 1870 De La Rue had 6 of their court cards redrawn so all the pips would be in the left-hand corner.
100_1191.JPG
Next up a new Alchemy Tartot pack. along with the rest of my Alchemy decks.
100_1185.JPG
The White Gothic from 2004 didn`t come in a tuck box, the one showing is Homemade( :oops: it does the job).
Last today a Waddingtons :)
100_1178.JPG
volantangel
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Hmm hasn't uspcc released a bike deck with a similar back design as the bezique deck ? Really great catch jase !
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

The bezique ones look wonderful. :)
Jock1971

volantangel wrote:Hmm hasn't uspcc released a bike deck with a similar back design as the bezique deck ? Really great catch jase !
Hi Volantangel :D That rang a bell so i had a quick looky. The deck your probably thinking of is the "Aladdin" brand by the National Card Company , Those had a Dome Back from 1885 to the 1930`s, Looks very similar.A great catch indeed i got it for less than half of my Maximum bid :) i was very pleased.
Eoghann wrote:The bezique ones look wonderful. :)
Thanks for the comment Eoghann :D ,
i really like the old packs as they make me wonder about the amount of different people who have played with this deck, Did the original owner have Electricity or was the first game play with these cards in Gaslight, How much money has exchanged hands in the last 120 odd years because of these cards. :D Ramble On :ugdance:
I got a Kickstarter in today :) Royal Dinosaurs by No Reply Designs. Very Cool.
100_1199.JPG
some old Waddingtons Red & Blues. These were specially produced for the Yugoslav Relief Society,London
100_1203.JPG
Next a couple of Modern Red & Blues.
100_1202.JPG
And last is a Patience sized Pack from Empire Card Co (De La Rue) No Tuck with this one i`m afraid.
100_1204.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase-
Jock1971

Got a Kickstarter in yesterday. Tattoo golden edition.
100_1229.JPG
seems like quite a few are heading this way in the next month.i wonder if i`ll get the Edgar Allan Poe deck in :lol: ?
Next is a Waddingtons.
100_1261.JPG
Here`s a new Grey Smoke & Mirrors from Dan & Dave,with the rest of my set.
100_1215.JPG
i wanted to redo the picture of the s&m`s from my 2nd post as it was taken with my phone and came out rubbish.
And last another Waddingtons . This pack has an anonymous Ace used in advertising packs c.1930
100_1257.JPG
Thanks for looking at my cards :D -Jase
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Always great stuff, Jase!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:Always great stuff, Jase!
Thanks for the comment Mike :D Glad you like what you see.
I got a Kickstarter in today :D "Ebru" Designed by Stephane Bonneau & Drake Mabry. The cards are printed by Ivory Graphics here in the U.K.
100_1270.JPG
Next up a De La Rue deck with a Specially designed Ace.The Field was exclusively sold in W.H. Smiths in the early 1930`s.
100_1264.JPG
Interestingly i have seen these packs with Goodall Jokers as well, I`ve read that De La Rue after obtaining Goodalls in the early 1920`s used Both brands of Jokers and even some Aces willy-nilly in all their packs for a short while afterwards.
Next up a Tarot deck i got when i bought the Alchemy tarot deck.
100_1267.JPG
And last one today a Waddingtons Advertising deck with a specially designed Ace
100_1235.JPG
Jock1971

Not one but Two Kickstarters came in today :D . they are coming in thick and fast this month.
The First is the Flight deck by Paul Roman Martinez.
100_1269.JPG
The box doodle might not be the most interesting part of the whole picture but cool none the less :D
Here`s a Paitnik double set called "Tudor Rose" and is number 2137.
100_1239.JPG
The Second kickstarter was "Starlight" from Collectable Playing Cards,along with a couple of add-ons
100_1280.JPG
Last picture today is of a Svengali deck made by Waddingtons for Hamleys of London.
100_1237.JPG
Once again i thank you for looking at my cards :D -jase-
Jock1971

Some time to kill,so here`s some decks.
A new Dan & Dave .The Cream one to go with the green i already had.
100_1217.JPG
A pack from Portugal next. this one is brand "No.31" from makers "Maia" using the Standard Dutch Pattern.
100_1283.JPG
Next is The Folio Society`s "Odd Bods" by Jonathan Burton.
100_1291.JPG
The last is a Double deck. Can you Guess "What`s in the Box" ?
100_1286.JPG
They are American and the W.i are the Brands initials..The company is a division of a larger company ?
:lol: :lol: Only Joking will post Pictures of the Opened box in 2 posts time :D
My next post is tomorrow morning between Card Launcher Starting and me going to Work and the Next will be After i get back from work..so this time tomorrow i will show "What`s in the box"...... don`t get too excited :lol:
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Love the donkey jokers! :)

In my country, we have this version of Old Maid called Burro (Donkey). Sometimes we shuffle the deck and take out a random card as the "burro". Sometimes we take out the joker. I'll have to keep an eye out for this deck then. Really liking those jokers and the deck overall. :)
Jock1971

While i wait,Here`s a few Crown decks.
100_1225.JPG
A large Games Compendium from Waddingtons, the set includes a 193 page Paperback book of Card Games.
100_1263.JPG
A few other Modern decks. The Karnival set i have is too large to take a picture of with the Death Heads.
100_1236.JPG
And last today a Patience size pack from Empire Card Co.
100_1251.JPG
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:Love the donkey jokers! :)

In my country, we have this version of Old Maid called Burro (Donkey). Sometimes we shuffle the deck and take out a random card as the "burro". Sometimes we take out the joker. I'll have to keep an eye out for this deck then. Really liking those jokers and the deck overall. :)
Hi Eoghann, :D i`m glad you liked the deck. Maia has another Donkey Joker they use, it can be seen here- a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks03/d01559/d01559.htm . :lol: very cool .
Here`s another Dan & Dave deck. i got the Orange one recently to go with the Brown i already had.
100_1216.JPG
Next is a couple of Waddington`s Patience decks.
100_1240.JPG
Next up is F.Robert Schick`s "Circus" Transformation deck. The cards are still sealed and i`m afraid i won`t open these up. You can read about the deck and see pictures of the cards at- http://www.wopc.co.uk/transformation/ci ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" .
100_1305.JPG
And here`s what was in the box from 2 posts ago...i told you not to get excited :lol: :lol:
100_1289.JPG
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I need that transformation deck in my life! Wow! :lol:
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:I need that transformation deck in my life! Wow! :lol:
:lol: I let one slip through my fingers a couple of months back :( Seen this one so grabbed it :D

Just after 10AM here and after a Interesting 30 odd hours The postman delivers a Kickstarter :D
Steampunk Cthulhu resurrection by Nathanael Iwata.This was the first of Nat`s kickstarters i got on Joining kickstarter after the others had finished, So i got a few add ons from his other projects.
First the Steampunk Cthulhu resurrection, Both Red and Green backs.
100_1311.JPG
Here`s Steampunk Pirates in standard and blinged out tuck`s
100_1312.JPG
And last but not least a Elves & Orc`s Add-on.
100_1316.JPG
Fantastic Artwork on all Three decks i think.
Last today a Waddingtons "Grand Slam Bridge Set". Produced in 1981 to accompany the BBC T.V Series.Billed as being the first televised Bridge tournament.With teams from Britain and the United States Battling it out.
100_1320.JPG
The pack includes a 140 page Paperback book of the actual match played on T.V . The set must have been on sale before the BBC show began as the book states the reader should not skip to the end if reading the book while watching the program.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Love the odd bods deck ! It is so quirky and well-designed. Im glad i managed to grab a couple a year ago =)
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

One slipped through my fingers alst week. Mine all the way up till the last minute. Doh!
Jock1971

montecarlojoe wrote:One slipped through my fingers alst week. Mine all the way up till the last minute. Doh!
Hi montecarlojoe :D .If you mean The Circus Box then there`s a seller on e-bay U.K doing a buy me now for £25 (Free P&P) and they have 6 left.
volantangel wrote:Love the odd bods deck ! It is so quirky and well-designed. Im glad i managed to grab a couple a year ago =)
Hi Volantangel :D . The Odd-bods is another one i could have got a awhile back. Glad i got it now. :)

Another Kickstater in this morning. Clipped Wings by Emmanuel Jose.
100_1324.JPG
Very nice pack indeed.
Next up a Waddingtons. Got a Red pack like this one, I already took this picture before i realised or i would have taken a picture of both decks together.
100_1258.JPG
Next up a weird deck called Desperanto published by Qui Vive Ltd, England. It`s a learn languages while you play kind of thing.
100_1327.JPG
And last today a Waddingtons Five Suit Bridge pack. Thought i`d show the back of the tuck as that has the Advanced Pack sticker on it.
100_1330.JPG
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Could you point me to that circus box seller Jase please? I can't seem to find him.
Jock1971

Hi Eoghann :D
Here`s a link to the shop
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/Intercol-L ... 7675.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
just type circus transformation in the search shop box and hey presto.
Sorry i should have put the link up last post :roll:
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Awesome thanks a lot!
DragonSoul

Unread post by DragonSoul »

Wow, what a collection! I don't know how I missed this thread when it first launched. It's taken me quite a while to go through your pictures but, you have definitely inspired me to seek out some vintage decks. My first purchases were the World's Fair decks I posted in the "Look what I added" thread. Thanks so much!
Jock1971

Eoghann wrote:Awesome thanks a lot!
Hiya Eoghann :D .
Glad to help , with all the comment in other threads about prices i wasn`t sure if the "price was right" if you know what i mean. But i`ve seen these boxes go for over £60 and more so i think £25 is a steal :D
Oh...2 went within a hour of me posting the link . i wonder why? :lol:
DragonSoul wrote:Wow, what a collection! I don't know how I missed this thread when it first launched. It's taken me quite a while to go through your pictures but, you have definitely inspired me to seek out some vintage decks. My first purchases were the World's Fair decks I posted in the "Look what I added" thread. Thanks so much!
Hiya DragonSoul :D .
Thanks for the great comment i was over the moon when i read it. Even when a member see`s a deck of mine and thinks "That`s cool, i`ll look out for that" it makes posting my cards seem worth while. so i`m really glad to have inspired you to seek out more variety of decks.
I don`t post much in other thread`s but when i seen your two deck in the "look what i added" thread i did post that i loved your decks, You have started of your vintage collection with a couple of beauty`s that`s for sure. :drool:

No kickstarters so an all Waddingtons post today :D Hahah most of you will be going :roll: but i do like my Waddy`s
First one is a Whist & Solo boxset.Both packs are still sealed in cello.
100_1360.JPG
Next one is a double Patience set produced for the Orient line to Australia.
100_1367.JPG
The cards are gold edged and have a specially designed Ace.
Next one is another box set called Crib-box based on Cribbage.the mat is made of rubber and looks unused.
100_1362.JPG
And last today another Players advertising pack,This one is Players "Weights" with their specially designed Ace.
100_1290.JPG
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for posting all these photos of your cards!
Jock1971

cherrynukacola wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for posting all these photos of your cards!
Hiya cherrynukacola :D .
Glad you could pop in, your comment is much appreciated . It is i that should be thanking you for Checking out my cards.

Here`s some more cards.. First up a pair of Aesir decks.
100_1219.JPG
Next up a Gift set from the Netherlands.
100_1371.JPG
I Can`t find any information on these. I think Arrow are/was an airline company but am not sure.
Anyway the courts are the Standard dutch pattern and the Aces depict scene`s from all over the Netherlands.
100_1373.JPG
And last picture today is of an Polish Double set. Manufactured by K.Z.W.P (Krakowskie Zaklady Wyrobow Papierowych). The courts on these cards are the standard english pattern.
100_1284.JPG
Jock1971

i got a kickstarter in yesterday :D :D always excited when i get a kickstarter in
Had to pick it up this morning because i got jumped by the customs :( :( :( Boo!
100_1374.JPG
i thought these might get through without any problems..oh well.
i still got 2 biggies to come yet ,the Independance (6 packs)and Ornates(11 packs) can`t wait to pay customs on those .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anyway here`s what i got...
100_1376.JPG
Yeah.. Grotesque..these are the packs that lead me to become a member here at UC. i got 2 original and 2 limited.
100_1375.JPG
very cool.I will be opening a pack of each later :D
And last today a vintage De La Rue pack.
100_1377.JPG
Jock1971

Bank Holiday here, so no work today :D of course it`s raining :roll:
Here`s a pack of Global titan to make up a pair.
100_1218.JPG
Next up a double Waddingtons pack.
100_1241.JPG
A couple of Caravelle decks produced by Carta Mundi. One Standard and one with the Standard Paris Pattern.
100_1385.JPG
And last one a deck made by De La Rue, Advertising Turf Cigarettes.
100_1381.JPG