The Science Deck Playing Cards (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

The Science Deck Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

jerichoholic
White Whale: Many
Decks Owned: 4800

Re: The Science Deck Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by jerichoholic »

1 way back design sucks and an overall weird deck imo.
Save 10% at Playing Card Decks here - https://app.marsello.com/Portal/Custom/ ... 561772eaee
Save 10% at Card Addiction here using code VJOSE32 - https://card-addiction.com/?ref=1efow7c06m
Check out my collection - http://portfolio52.com/profile/124
Check out my reviews - https://www.youtube.com/vjose32
The Card Club - https://www.facebook.com/groups/vjose32
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/vjose32
Game Collection - https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/vjose32
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

:lol: Aw, come on now. No wonder we have the reputation of being the "mean" forum.

This has the potential to be quite interesting. I'd probably start with suggesting the courts be mirrored. The back definitely needs a little work. I'd start with the ambigram. While I like the idea, it's almost impossible to make out the word Science.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: The Science Deck Playing Cards (KS) (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

No. I'm gonna be nice and just say no.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Eoghann wrote::lol: Aw, come on now. No wonder we have the reputation of being the "mean" forum.

This has the potential to be quite interesting. I'd probably start with suggesting the courts be mirrored. The back definitely needs a little work. I'd start with the ambigram. While I like the idea, it's almost impossible to make out the word Science.
+1

The ambigram is interesting, but if it could be somehow more readable, that'd be good. Maybe also work on making the back two way? All that work on the ambigram and the back is still one way because of the pips surrounding it...

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have more color in the deck.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Found a cool ambigram generator that might help. I'm sure there are more online but that's the only one that works on my ipad. :lol:

http://www.flipscript.com/ambigram-maker.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

Eoghann wrote:Found a cool ambigram generator that might help. I'm sure there are more online but that's the only one that works on my ipad. :lol:

http://www.flipscript.com/ambigram-maker.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi, yes the ambigram is not traditional, I really wanted to give it a modern feel.
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

jerichoholic wrote:1 way back design sucks and an overall weird deck imo.
Yes the one-way back was something I questioned many times, but as the fronts are one-way I really wanted continuity though-out the deck."Weird" lol, happy it is not boring.
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

I will just address every ones opinions in this post:
"more color" a minimalist deck was more important to me, for the overall mood.
"mean" and here I was thinking you guys were nice.
"potential to be quite interesting" I think not only is it interesting but it can take you on a journey to discovery of science.
Thanks for your opinions everyone!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Rose wrote:"mean" and here I was thinking you guys were nice.
We try to be, but above all else we're honest. And I think in most cases that's more important than telling someone what they want to hear, even if it comes across as mean sometimes.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

MagikFingerz wrote:
We try to be, but above all else we're honest. And I think in most cases that's more important than telling someone what they want to hear, even if it comes across as mean sometimes.
+1 to this.

Comments and criticism are sometimes harsh. You can't expect everyone to like your deck, but the creators who are most respected are those that handle "mean" comments and criticism graciously.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Rose welcome to UC.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Eoghann wrote::lol: Aw, come on now. No wonder we have the reputation of being the "mean" forum.

I have to agree if you have pictures of scientist as courts they need to be "2-way" Your pips are fine being "1-way" if that's your science theme. Remember folks; This is an art deck...

@Rose Checked out your Kickstarter. Can I date your sister? Which one is she? Liked your video. It's only 30 seconds long. You can go another 1:30 if you want too. So, they say.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-08-02 21.53.58.png
Screenshot 2014-08-02 21.53.58.png (331.91 KiB) Viewed 3454 times
RussellSprouts
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

Rose, I added you to the Deck Artist group.
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

MagikFingerz wrote:
I could not agree more, I completely appreciate honesty, if you cannot be honest on the internet when can you be. lol. I don't think it's mean to be honest, I prefer if you say what you think!
I really do agree with most of the things people have said so far, if I had made it in a 'renaissance' font it would be more readable but it would not stay true to my vision, also yes it is a one-way back and while that is not ideal it was a creative choice I had to make, the deck is still very usable as a deck of cards, it was only brought to my attention recently that cheaters could possibly use this to their advantage during a game (I cannot imagine this is a large group), so this deck is for casual gamers, or people who play with people they trust,
Or anyone who wants to hold a wealth of information in their hands with great value for money and amazing artwork.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Staying true to your vision is definitely important, as long as you keep in mind that your vision might not be shared by the majority of your target demographic. Yes, you're creating a work of art (sprouts is throwing around the expression "art deck" a lot these days :roll: ), but it's also something that will (ideally) be mass-produced and is supposed to sell and make you money. Whether this deck will fund or not is too early to tell, but if it doesn't you can either relaunch and sacrifice some of your vision to make a more "commercial" product, or you can start fresh on a new vision and try your luck again. In THIS community, there are certain rules/traditions that can be followed that most of us collectors prefer in a deck (and some of which we're divided on). But in the end art is subjective and there is no way of predicting how much people will like something.
- Tom

Check out my collection

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

2 things. 1 How is Sir Isaac Newton only a Jack? Yeah Mendelev reinvented the periodic table and brought about many developments with the study and prediction of elements but Newton is the God-father of a physics and everyone learns his 3 laws in grade school. And Tesla was cool and is held in high regard nowadays because he's considered a maverick and the hipsters and steampunk folk love that about him but even Steven Hawking's theories on quantum mechanics are more relevant nowadays than Tesla ever was.

2 this is the most important thing, so listen close please Rose. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let Sprouts date your sister like he asked above. Bad bad bad idea. :mrgreen:
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

chach wrote:2 things. 1 How is Sir Isaac Newton only a Jack? Yeah Mendelev reinvented the periodic table and brought about many developments with the study and prediction of elements but Newton is the God-father of a physics and everyone learns his 3 laws in grade school. And Tesla was cool and is held in high regard nowadays because he's considered a maverick and the hipsters and steampunk folk love that about him but even Steven Hawking's theories on quantum mechanics are more relevant nowadays than Tesla ever was.

2 this is the most important thing, so listen close please Rose. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let Sprouts date your sister like he asked above. Bad bad bad idea. :mrgreen:
I agreed with everything until you got to Tesla. The man is the father of modern Electric power. We have him to thank for everything we have plugged in around our homes. Edison got the glory but Tesla did most of the work and got screwed for his troubles.... Just my two cents. Newton Deserves a king!

PS I'll second Chach's advice... DO NOT LET SPROUTS NEAR YOUR SISTER!
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

In life Tesla got the shaft. He deserved the glory Edison got but since he suffered from some minor mental illnesses he was largely forgotten by history until recent years. Had Kickstarter been around during his time he may have been able to secure the funding needed to create the free energy he said was possible.
Barclay Mountains Co.
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

chach wrote:2 things. 1 How is Sir Isaac Newton only a Jack? Yeah Mendelev reinvented the periodic table and brought about many developments with the study and prediction of elements but Newton is the God-father of a physics and everyone learns his 3 laws in grade school. And Tesla was cool and is held in high regard nowadays because he's considered a maverick and the hipsters and steampunk folk love that about him but even Steven Hawking's theories on quantum mechanics are more relevant nowadays than Tesla ever was.

1. Yes, I had to put Einstein above Newton, I spent many more hours than I care to admit on the who/whats and their place and I am sure many can debate and question every card but it is best not to, lol, just accept it. Yes Telsa is cool, Steven Hawking was not an option for copyright reasons, to use his likeness on a deck would have been a legal nightmare, so that's also why Tesla is way cooler.

2. He can date the clone in the corner, I made too many and that one won't get off her phone. :)
Godzillian

Unread post by Godzillian »

I really like the fronts, I don't like the back. The back needs a lot of work IMO - my suggestion is start with thinner borders, more colors to make it standout, and make it 2-way. Have you thought about talking to science blogs on promoting your deck and or making a post on reddit's /r/science?
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

The closest deck related to science I have is the war of currents deck, really liked the style on those, these have a way to go in terms of design. HOWEVER, if you can promote these to schools and educational institutions, you might have a chance but not on a crowd funding platform. BUT it's an uphill task of convincing schools that a deck of cards is the best medium to promote science
mmiikk

Unread post by mmiikk »

Cbkimble wrote:No. I'm gonna be nice and just say no.
hahahaaaa
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

You also need to be careful to make sure that the science is correct. The 9 of diamonds for instance has mistakes. F=ma is correct, and the labels for the vectors are nice too, but in the diagram the force and acceleration are towards the centre of the circle of motion. This force is known as centripetal force. Centrifugal force is a subject experience - it feels like you being pulled outward when in fact you are pulling it inward to maintain its circular motion. If you let go (and stop applying the force) then the object is no longer accelerating towards you and zips off in a straight line...
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

Yes the back is a one-way back, it was something I was torn with, do I omit the pips from the atom and be left with an empty looking back or do I leave them in making it a one-way back, it has been pointed out to me that magicians are not that interested in decks like mine anyway so I decided on the one-way back. Plus you say it lacks color already so imagine the level of dull without the center pips.Thinner border is great. I agree.
Thank you for liking the fronts :) and your helpful advice!
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

volantangel wrote:The closest deck related to science I have is the war of currents deck, really liked the style on those, these have a way to go in terms of design. HOWEVER, if you can promote these to schools and educational institutions, you might have a chance but not on a crowd funding platform. BUT it's an uphill task of convincing schools that a deck of cards is the best medium to promote science
I have seen the war of currents and to me it looked as though the creator inserted photo into photoshop and clicked on a filter, really lazy. But it's not surprising news that I like my design better. LOL yes, I agree about the education value and this is something I have considered it being from day 1, till I realized small children probably don't play cards, I am intending on contacting every science departments of universities, so maybe the adult scientists can appreciate it.
I'm sorry you don't like the style, but I really appreciate your honest opinion and advice on promoting it's good to hear.
Thanks!
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

mmiikk wrote:
Cbkimble wrote:No. I'm gonna be nice and just say no.
hahahaaaa
I know right! Only real friends are honest with you. JK :lol:
Rose
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Rose »

montecarlojoe wrote:You also need to be careful to make sure that the science is correct. The 9 of diamonds for instance has mistakes. F=ma is correct, and the labels for the vectors are nice too, but in the diagram the force and acceleration are towards the centre of the circle of motion. This force is known as centripetal force. Centrifugal force is a subject experience - it feels like you being pulled outward when in fact you are pulling it inward to maintain its circular motion. If you let go (and stop applying the force) then the object is no longer accelerating towards you and zips off in a straight line...
Okay so the ball on the end of the string is experiencing centrifugal force, and the person is experiencing centripetal force. I am trying to illustrate the force that keeps the ball up (the spinning action) google images https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Cent ... 67#imgdii=_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agrees with me that the arrow is pointing in the correct direction, or am I completely misunderstanding what you are trying to tell me? Thanks for pointing this out, I really need to reevaluate my diagram.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regarding the back, putting the pips on the back design is all too common and rarely works (even as a two-way). Seems like a common misconception among new deck designers is that when making a deck the theme has to be part <main theme> and part <playing cards>, like those who put the names of cards in writing on them ("King of Clubs", "Ace of Spades" etc). This is just not the case, virtually nobody needs the extra "education" of which card is called what and what the pips look like. All it does it take away space from the main theme.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Verloren

Unread post by Verloren »

Suit themes.

Other options for King of Spades - Robert Boyle/van der Waals.