"Aces Eye" Playing Cards (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
badpete69
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

"Aces Eye" Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

Over $40 for a deck (15 pounds for shipping only). Pledged for now so that I could make a comment but not sure about this one. I will try to get the creator over here

volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Re: "Aces Eye" Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by volantangel »

If you cant find anything good to say... well i like the bright colours *shrugs*
chess

Unread post by chess »

nope
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

Watsi88
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Watsi88 »

Following on from an invite to this forum I would just like to introduce myself... I am the designer of the playing cards in question and openly encourage constructive criticism of my work. This is my very first attempt at playing card design (as more of a hobby / side project than anything else), so if anything seems a little, 'off' it is purely because I am inexperienced. Hopefully that will change with time and the help and advice of fellow card enthusiasts ;)

A note about the pricing: again this is something I am learning about as I go along. If anyone has any guidelines for what the average price of overseas shipping (from the UK) should be - as opposed to my initial estimate - please let me know.
I got the current figures from a quick scan through the Royal Mail website, but after some consideration, believe that either something went wrong with the online calculator or I missed a much cheaper option... Apologies for this!

I don't want to charge anyone more than I need to and look forward to reading your comments and/or advice with regard to this matter.

Cheers,

Adam.
badpete69

Unread post by badpete69 »

Adam Welcome to our forums. It was me that invited you in the comments section , thanks for stopping by.
Watsi88
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Watsi88 »

No problem :)

Just putting it out there, but I know my idea / design won't be everyone's cup of tea. Was just something I have always wanted to have a go at (and improve on in the future). Looking forward to reading the thoughts and opinions of everyone and hopefully sorting out the postage and pricing miscalculations.

Update: I have now amended all of the rewards (except one, which still has a backer and is thus locked), halving the cost of postage (which is more in-keeping with Royal Mail's correct price list) and bringing down the overall cost of each reward.

Thank you to those that brought this miscalculation to light and similarly helped to rectify the problem (well almost lol).

All rewards are now adjusted accordingly :)
Apologies for the inconvenience and many thanks,

A.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

MUCH better and closer to other project costs. It's still a bit on the high side considering you are using MPC (the price you have is more in line with USPCC decks - other MPC decks are usually around £5 including shipping to US), but it's somewhat reasonable and should give you a chance of being successful based on price. I at least have starred it and will consider more in a few days with this change.

As for the design, I love art deco and really like the suit shapes and fonts used, especially the clubs. The 'system' was a bit confusing, but now that I understand it it's quite interesting.

HOWEVER, that system while neat makes it much less playable. You'll also hear quite a few people concerned about lack of mirrored/2-way faces and backs. I'm not as concerned about either since I collect art decks and not as much for play-ability, but you are limiting your audience without it. The back and tuck could be more ornate and have a more art deco look to pull me fully in. Also, the lack of actual court figures makes this a minimalism deck which will limit the reach as well. That's another reason I'm on the fence.

With a few changes you may be able to meet your goal, best of luck! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Speaking of...the Aces Eye could use some tweaking, because all I see is this. ;)
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: "Aces Eye" Playing Cards (KS) (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

The colors are nice but it looks like a minimalist deck to me. Sorry but I'm out.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
AceOfHearts
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by AceOfHearts »

Interesting deck. At first glance looks fresh and cool. But then you notice that something is wrong. For example back design. Its look like its made for kids. And just it does not make any sense. Lets put Giant X and all 4 pips here and there and some eye or ufo or whatever it is (other decks like NOCs rounders does not make any sense for me too , but they are succes.. what a strange world)... I like the front of the cards but it is same for all and i dont like that. Its like the deck is made only for easy money... But my opinion is worth almost nothing so ...
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Watsi88 wrote:All rewards are now adjusted accordingly :)
Apologies for the inconvenience and many thanks,

A.
Adam - I tossed you into the lions' den - err - Deck Artists group. Enjoy the forums, and please remember, we aren't always right, but we're always opinionated.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

I rather like it and have starred the project as well for further consideration.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
sinjin7
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by sinjin7 »

ecNate wrote:As for the design, I love art deco and really like the suit shapes and fonts used, especially the clubs. The 'system' was a bit confusing, but now that I understand it it's quite interesting.

HOWEVER, that system while neat makes it much less playable. You'll also hear quite a few people concerned about lack of mirrored/2-way faces and backs. I'm not as concerned about either since I collect art decks and not as much for play-ability, but you are limiting your audience without it. The back and tuck could be more ornate and have a more art deco look to pull me fully in. Also, the lack of actual court figures makes this a minimalism deck which will limit the reach as well. That's another reason I'm on the fence.
ecNate pretty much nailed it. It shouldn't take too much work to make the back design a 2-way back. The court cards are going to need a lot of work, though. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I think you would be better off using re-colored standard courts over what you've currently got. If you can fully customize the courts, even better. At the prices you are charging, your tuck boxes have to be better than what they are. Just look at the tucks from the most successful campaigns and you'll have a better idea of what the standards have become. Amp up the volume on your tuck and incorporate embossing and foil on the outside, and printing on the inside of the tuck and you'll be more in line with your price points for this deck.

Maybe its just me (from all the years I've lived in SC) but the back design reminds me a bit of the Confederate flag....
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Watsi88 - I have so much to tell you. First of all, I like your indices and your not scared of the cut boarder. I have figured you can get 13 cards in a person's hand with indices like yours. Just make sure your diamonds don't get cut off. If you made a fat diamond, it might be better to line all the numbers up. Remember 10 is the only card that has 2 symbols. You might want to make it an "X" or "T" for 10 to fit it into the suit. Most important, your numbers and rank of card needs to be in the same spot for all the cards. The suit should go around the rank of card....
Screenshot 2014-07-30 17.47.51.png
Screenshot 2014-07-30 17.47.51.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 911 times

I agree with ecNate. You really need a "2-way" back. You have 2 options though. Your deck is basically an art deck. Your theme is all cards are like AoS. I get it.
The AoS is "1-way" That means all your face cards are "1-way"; Therefore, you can make a "1-way" back if you want too. You could have an eye ball in the center of the card. Just make sure all your differences are in the center of the card. That way the differences don't show up in your spread. Speaking of your spread; Your spread suxs. Grow some skin ppl are honest here. You have to think this is prime real-estate. So far, you have a stripe with a thick ass white border. Think about it. How can you make it better.
Screenshot 2014-07-30 17.32.50.png
Screenshot 2014-07-30 17.32.50.png (38.98 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Your second option is two eye balls and make it a "2-way" back. So far your eyes are like cat eyes. or you can turn them...
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-07-30 18.19.25.png
Screenshot 2014-07-30 18.19.25.png (267.7 KiB) Viewed 911 times
RussellSprouts