Bicycle "The Civil War Deck" - Jackson Robinson/KingsWild

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Re: Bicycle "The Civil War Deck" - Jackson Robinson/KingsWil

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

Cbkimble wrote:Believe in yourself, you'll get your funding.
I do believe in myself... and I'm sure I'll get funded. Sorry for getting all bent out of shape.
After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that USPCC is a big corporation and they probably don't even pay that much attention to every single deck they print. It was probably just dumb luck they came up with a similar idea. I'm guessing (only guessing)... USPCC wanted to milk the Fed 52 cow and wanted to come up with a similar money themed deck. Civil War money looks cool so it's a logical next step for a money themed deck. Of course, we haven't seen the courts yet but if I'm right they have a Civl War money influence. I could be wrong but if I'm right that would make this seem better to me. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against JR or USPCC. They both do good work.
Also, if this does have a Civil War money influence then that would explain why the tuck case has that Fed 52 feel.
Barclay Mountains Co.
TLZ1979
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by TLZ1979 »

they probably looked at how successful Jackson's Independence deck was, and thought another war card deck would sell just as well.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:
Cbkimble wrote:Believe in yourself, you'll get your funding.
I do believe in myself... and I'm sure I'll get funded. Sorry for getting all bent out of shape.
After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that USPCC is a big corporation and they probably don't even pay that much attention to every single deck they print. It was probably just dumb luck they came up with a similar idea. I'm guessing (only guessing)... USPCC wanted to milk the Fed 52 cow and wanted to come up with a similar money themed deck. Civil War money looks cool so it's a logical next step for a money themed deck. Of course, we haven't seen the courts yet but if I'm right they have a Civl War money influence. I could be wrong but if I'm right that would make this seem better to me. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against JR or USPCC. They both do good work.
Also, if this does have a Civil War money influence then that would explain why the tuck case has that Fed 52 feel.

I think you're under the impression that USPC courted Jackson to do a civil war deck... not true.

USPC asked Jackson if he'd do a series of decks for them, and this was the series he presented. They did not specify any theme to him.
Also, you really can't expect a theme to be locked up because someone does a custom deck in that theme. USPC has released Zombie, and Steampunk decks... and will soon be releasing a Viking themed deck... even though these themes have all been done by KS campaigns. I would not take it personally at all, it was not targeted at you... it's just a happenstance.

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I see your point and I'd probably be just as upset as you are/were. But I would just keep telling myself, "imitation is the greatest form of flattery." To think- you designed a deck that the USPCC liked so much they wanted to duplicate it.. sorta. I'd like to believe we live in a world where both your and this deck can coexist. :)
WillHart CthulhuWho1
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by WillHart CthulhuWho1 »

I'm just wondering how large The Civil War series is going to be, and just how many variants there will be that are going to empty my wallet...

How many decks can I imagine? Here's a few I can think of on the spur of the moment (which I'm sure you can add to!): The Civil War - The Blues, The Civil War - The Grays, The Civil War - The Butternuts, The Civil War - The North, The Civil War - The South, The Civil War - The West, The Civil War - The Border States, The Civil War - Northern Generals, The Civil War - Southern Generals, The Civil War - The Northern Statesmen, The Civil War - The Southern Statesmen, The Civil War - Battles, The Civil War - Slavery, The Civil War - Abolitionists, The Civil War - Industry, The Civil War - Politics, The Civil War - Ironclads, The Civil War - On the High Seas, The Civil War - European Allies, The Civil War - Trade, The Civil War - Aftermath, The Civil War - Documents, The Civil War - Battlefields, The Civil War - Monuments, etc..

And then we start on the Limited Editions and the Special Tuck Cases, plus the numbered editions too!

And then we can move on to Version 2.

As long as I stop eating, and I also don't feed my cats, I'll be able to buy a few...

But how will I afford those damn Hive Decks?

Will Hart
(tongue firmly in cheek)
Fullerton, California
Will Hart
Fullerton, California
Most of my collection:
http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/277/images
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

From Jackson on PlayingCardForum

"I'm very excited as well. Also I will be producing a small run of 1500 Limited Edition Decks that will not be available through USPC's distribution channels and sold exclusively on my website. It has been an incredible experience working with the corporate team at USPCC. I'm also excited to say that this deck has turned out awesome, and you guys will NOT be disappointed with it."

"There will be two deck in the Civil War series. The Blue North Deck and a Red South Deck."

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

To clarify, My only issue was with timing, not the theme.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Scott from Crooked Kings (everyone's best company for selective tucks :D ) has the Bicycle Vikings deck. USPCC will have their Bicycle Viking deck so is this the same issue/problem?
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
wwpierce

Unread post by wwpierce »

Maybe this will finally be a series that USPC releases the whole series.... (i.e. Bicycle Limited Edition 1 & 2 of 10..oops...sorry..you only get 1 and 2)
shebhnt
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by shebhnt »

I'm just excited to see a JR deck in major retailers, meaning you can buy it for only a few dollars.
shadowkat

Unread post by shadowkat »

I just wanted to say that I usually do not pay attention to war themed items, so I missed The Civil Unrest and Global Unrest. After reading the forums and taking a look at these decks, I was so blown away that I have purchased Global Unrest and plan on purchasing the Civil Unrest soon. I really liked the first campaign artwork for Global Unrest and really hope those will eventually be printed. Good job Mr. Tomlinson, your work has me thinking about things differently! Your decks will be the FIRST of their kind in my possession! I will be opening them and playing with them :D
wahl0108
Decks Owned: 121

Unread post by wahl0108 »

The theme usually doesn't interest me, but if they're only four bucks I might pick 'em up.
Romans VIII.XXXVII-XXXIX

ISO:
Boss Deck
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

shadowkat wrote:I just wanted to say that I usually do not pay attention to war themed items, so I missed The Civil Unrest and Global Unrest. After reading the forums and taking a look at these decks, I was so blown away that I have purchased Global Unrest and plan on purchasing the Civil Unrest soon. I really liked the first campaign artwork for Global Unrest and really hope those will eventually be printed. Good job Mr. Tomlinson, your work has me thinking about things differently! Your decks will be the FIRST of their kind in my possession! I will be opening them and playing with them :D
Thank you for the kind words. I'm really looking forward to launching Colonial Unrest in the coming weeks. I was inspired to do war themed decks almost exactlly a year ago. On the 4th of July weekend my family took a trip to Old Sturbridge Village where we learned that during colonial times the American people didn't want to honor the foreign Kings and Queens featured in playing cards so they started making cards featuring George Washington and other founding fathers. It was during another weekend trip that summer (to Gettysburg) that I decided the first within the series should feature the Civil War.
But anyway, I'm sure Jackson's deck will be amazing. I don't want people thinking I'm against it. In fact, he's gone through the same thing with his Sherlock Holmes deck. The Civil War was a big deal so it does deserve tons of attention.
Barclay Mountains Co.
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
White Whale: Hermes 2 Deck Set
Decks Owned: 78623

Unread post by JacksonRobinson »

Here are a few clarifications that I think might be helpful:

1. I don't work or am employed by USPCC, my arrangement with them is simply I bring them a deck concept and they say yes or no. That's it, they don't give me direction for a theme, i come to them with the idea.

2. USPCC has produced multiple Civil War decks over the past 100+ years RJ"s nor my decks will NOT even be close to being the first. Pick up a Hochman's Guide and you will see many more Civil War decks not just from USPCC.

3. I approached USPCC about the Civil War deck months before RJ even started the Civil Unrest series. RJ if your going to be upset with anybody be upset with me. USPCC had nothing to do with coming up with this concept. It was a and easy evolution for me as my favorite personal decks in my own collection are Military which include quite a few Civil War decks. On top of that it is a wide open concept just like the revolution, which you are making your own GREAT version of in your own style. I'm not upset at all and hope you do great with that. Same goes with the Military decks you or I are not even close to being the first to make a military deck.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

JacksonRobinson wrote:Here are a few clarifications that I think might be helpful:

1. I don't work or am employed by USPCC, my arrangement with them is simply I bring them a deck concept and they say yes or no. That's it, they don't give me direction for a theme, i come to them with the idea.

2. USPCC has produced multiple Civil War decks over the past 100+ years RJ"s nor my decks will NOT even be close to being the first. Pick up a Hochman's Guide and you will see many more Civil War decks not just from USPCC.

3. I approached USPCC about the Civil War deck months before RJ even started the Civil Unrest series. RJ if your going to be upset with anybody be upset with me. USPCC had nothing to do with coming up with this concept. It was a and easy evolution for me as my favorite personal decks in my own collection are Military which include quite a few Civil War decks. On top of that it is a wide open concept just like the revolution, which you are making your own GREAT version of in your own style. I'm not upset at all and hope you do great with that. Same goes with the Military decks you or I are not even close to being the first to make a military deck.
I agree... I wasn't the first and I won't be the last. I'm a huge fan of your work and we both have different styles that a lot of people can appreciate. Knowing that USPCC didn't come up with the idea is good to know. I'm not upset with you. I know that this is your kind of deck too. We just both happen to like similar themes. In the end, the Civil War (which was exactlly 150 years ago) is getting the attention it deserves.
Barclay Mountains Co.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Diptych jokers: https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/p526x296/10443457_303385063159114_4826407710668474595_n.jpg
Magic_Orthodoxy
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

GREAT! Now I can't stop whistling Guns N Roses

:lol:
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
Bikefanatic

If the people like both, they'll get both. No matter what a theme is, which most of them has been repeated, people will get them if they want.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

All I know is I can't wait for these decks. The little we've seen is on par with Jackson's past offerings and a wide release only means more exposure for JR & the Kings Wild project and thusly more people wanting to purchase all his previous releases. Though when it comes down to the brass tacks, I can't wait to go to my local WalMart and pick up a Jackson Robinson deck for a few bucks. Well, I hope that's what I'll be able to do. All depends on how wide a release USPCC will make these.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
nECr0MaNCeD

chach wrote:All I know is I can't wait for these decks. The little we've seen is on par with Jackson's past offerings and a wide release only means more exposure for JR & the Kings Wild project and thusly more people wanting to purchase all his previous releases. Though when it comes down to the brass tacks, I can't wait to go to my local WalMart and pick up a Jackson Robinson deck for a few bucks. Well, I hope that's what I'll be able to do. All depends on how wide a release USPCC will make these.
Something tells me this will more likely be a Club808 thing and not Wally-World, but who knows?
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:
chach wrote:All I know is I can't wait for these decks. The little we've seen is on par with Jackson's past offerings and a wide release only means more exposure for JR & the Kings Wild project and thusly more people wanting to purchase all his previous releases. Though when it comes down to the brass tacks, I can't wait to go to my local WalMart and pick up a Jackson Robinson deck for a few bucks. Well, I hope that's what I'll be able to do. All depends on how wide a release USPCC will make these.
Something tells me this will more likely be a Club808 thing and not Wally-World, but who knows?
This will NOT be a 808 deck for sure.
Bikefanatic

It sucks that USPCC Kentucky location doesn't have a walk in store like they did in Cincinnati. If so, some of us could go directly there to get their decks without ebay or waiting for them in the mail.

-Lotrek

Sher

Unread post by Sher »

Are the diptych jokers in the wide release version or in the Limited Editon version?
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Sher wrote:Are the diptych jokers in the wide release version or in the Limited Editon version?
Yes,the diptych jokers will be in the wide release versions
chach

Unread post by chach »

Do you have any say what goes on the ad cards? Like will you be able to put your website and info about Kings Wild on one of the cards like T11 did w/ the decks USPCC sold through their online shop?
JacksonRobinson
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

chach wrote:Do you have any say what goes on the ad cards? Like will you be able to put your website and info about Kings Wild on one of the cards like T11 did w/ the decks USPCC sold through their online shop?
I had full say what went on the add card actually. I personally hate add cards that have social media and other junk that is not related to the deck and the art.

Good News is there is NO add card. There will be an info card used as a key for all of the characters in the deck like my other decks. My website and logo will also be on the bottom of the deck just like the rest of my decks. The only major change with this deck from my others will be the addition of the mandatory bar code on the bottom. Luckily the LTD edition that I will sell will not have a bar code.
nECr0MaNCeD

JacksonRobinson wrote:
chach wrote:Do you have any say what goes on the ad cards? Like will you be able to put your website and info about Kings Wild on one of the cards like T11 did w/ the decks USPCC sold through their online shop?
I had full say what went on the add card actually. I personally hate add cards that have social media and other junk that is not related to the deck and the art.

Good News is there is NO add card. There will be an info card used as a key for all of the characters in the deck like my other decks. My website and logo will also be on the bottom of the deck just like the rest of my decks. The only major change with this deck from my others will be the addition of the mandatory bar code on the bottom. Luckily the LTD edition that I will sell will not have a bar code.
That's good to hear. I'm also glad it's not Club 808 only. Even though I am a member, it will be nice to get these in retail... Not to mention some LTDs. :ugdance:
chach

Unread post by chach »

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:
JacksonRobinson wrote:

That's good to hear. I'm also glad it's not Club 808 only. Even though I am a member, it will be nice to get these in retail... Not to mention some LTDs. :ugdance:
+1 to that
Magic_Orthodoxy
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

so we could see these pop up in the grocery store or at Wal-Mart? Seriously?
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

I wish there was a Walmart here in Guam :( Shop Bicycle Cards will be selling it, then?