Muertos - Day of the Dead Playing Cards (KS)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Muertos - Day of the Dead Playing Cards (KS)

Unread post by Lotrek »

Looks like the Day of the Dead is the new Cthulhu...
I'll take a nap.
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

Can't fault him too much. Sometimes people come up with the same idea. When Colonial Unrest comes out this summer people will be harping me about turning the American Revolution into the next blood soaked zombie Cthulhu... poke it with a fork, over done theme. Colonial Unrest has been in the works since last September so maybe this guy was working on his long before the others.
On a side note, I do like the look of these cards.
Barclay Mountains Co.
Strag
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

It's a bit odd to have your first updated be "backers only". I usually don't like that as it tends to mean they want something hidden. I know that's likely not the case here but still.

Prices are a bit high but would be worth it if stretch goals are reached (why is unlikely) and I agree that the funding period is too long. Starred for now but not backing yet.
Magic_Orthodoxy
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Magic_Orthodoxy »

looks a lot like the Total Eclipse deck
Playing Card & Magic Reviews / https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy
I give away FREE DECKS on INSTAGRAM every month https://www.instagram.com/magicorthodoxy/
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by SBurk49 »

I dunno guys. I really kinda dig these. Like... alot.

Y'all always seem to get on the same boat about designs and stuff and I lately have been in disagreement. Which makes me kind of feel like an idiot, but at the same time, makes me think y'all are just some weirdos. ;-)

Only reason I am NOT pledging. Bro, at $15 per deck, there had BETTER be Bicycle branding. ESPECIALLY since your using USPCC. Make it work, somehow.
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

SBurk49 wrote: Y'all always seem to get on the same boat about designs and stuff and I lately have been in disagreement. Which makes me kind of feel like an idiot, but at the same time, makes me think y'all are just some weirdos. ;-)
Because it's always either or, right? :ugthink:

I've said this before, but I really don't want anyone to feel like they can't disagree with what "most people" (ie other members) think about a deck. We have some harsh comments about decks and even their creators at times, but I still haven't seen anyone get "flamed" for liking or disliking a particular deck. And I hope that doesn't change. We may lose respect for deck designers/producers based on their actions, but I hope everyone here continues to respect each other regardless of their opinions.

I'll get off my MLK soap box now...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

Hmmm.

While I've gone on record above noting that I want the gold parts to actually shine, and therefore would prefer foil over USPCC's metallic inks, I still like this design quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I even stated that I'm backing this deck. If I didn't, I'll state it now: I'm in for a couple decks, and am prepared to raise my pledge for the coin and for the second deck design, should that become available.

I think a few little tweaks could be made to make this deck even better, but I like it as it is, even so. So, SBurk49, you're not alone in liking this one!

Some are complaining that the Day of the Dead theme is becoming as ubiquitous as Cthulu or dragons or steampunk or zombies... I think we still have a ways to go before we reach that point. That said, as long as new projects find an interesting, appealing take on the subject and offer something that other projects don't, I'll be happy to back 'em. I love Chris O's deck. I love what the Edgy Brothers are doing (and can't wait to get my hands on those.) And, frankly, I think this deck totally adds to the conversation. Bring it on.

As for the price (I completely agree that $15 for a single deck is steep)... if this project gets close to opening up the second deck design, I'll be changing my pledge tier, and releasing my early bird pledge. I'll post here when that happens. :)

PS: MagikFingerz has made this point before, about how UC members should not be afraid to voice their opinions, even if they appear to be in the minority, and I completely agree. There's room for different tastes here! What we all have in common is a desire for some great cards, even if we define greatness differently amongst ourselves.
This space intentionally left blank.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I've said it plenty of times as well: People shouldn't collect based on what other people say. They should collect for themselves and collect what pleases them. It's your money, and your collection! What everyone says ends up being irrelevant.
And don't be afraid to voice your tastes to the world. Sure some might give you sideways glances but others will join your gang of "misfits" eventually.

I can elaborate much more, but don't want you to slap me with a TL;DR. ;)
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Sher wrote:
Widdee wrote:Eyeballing the white Mourning Gold stretch deck wish this would have been the main and the blacks LE. I've gone in with the hope they reach the goal for these, but 60k is a lot of hope.
Actually they unlock as add-ons at $40k. At $60k every backer who pledges for three or more Night decks gets one Mourning Gold deck for free.
Thanks Sher, my bad for not reading that closer. I hope it gets to 40k cause I'd really like to pick up a handful of the whites.
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

MagikFingerz wrote: Because it's always either or, right? :ugthink:

I've said this before, but I really don't want anyone to feel like they can't disagree with what "most people" (ie other members) think about a deck. We have some harsh comments about decks and even their creators at times, but I still haven't seen anyone get "flamed" for liking or disliking a particular deck. And I hope that doesn't change. We may lose respect for deck designers/producers based on their actions, but I hope everyone here continues to respect each other regardless of their opinions.

I'll get off my MLK soap box now...
This is true Magik and I actually think there's a good bit of healthy disagreement on these boards. Hopefully we won't get into any flame wars over a hobby that is meant for sheer fun.
samurai007

Unread post by samurai007 »

I really like the look of the deck. I took a healthy pause when I saw the price was $15, though. At $11 it would have been an easy yes, but $15? Well, I went ahead and pledged anyway, and I'm hoping an early bird opens up when the white deck goal is passed.
SBurk49
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by SBurk49 »

Eoghann wrote:And don't be afraid to voice your tastes to the world. Sure some might give you sideways glances but others will join your gang of "misfits" eventually.

I can elaborate much more, but don't want you to slap me with a TL;DR. ;)
I cant wait to lead this band of misfits. My mom says i have natural leadership ability.

And as far as the TL;DR...

Just keep it under two paragraphs of 3-5 Sentences and you have my attention. Anything over and i skim and read the last sentence. :)
"Cards are war, in disguise of a sport."
steveminty
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by steveminty »

Hey guys! I just posted an update. I listened to your suggestions about the playability of the cards and ways to make the suits stand out from each other and I have come up with the enhanced suit design. I wanted to share it with you guys personally since you guys helped me! My design decisions in making it grey was to make it pop out and at the same time keep it in line with the current design choices. Anyways, let me know what you think!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/987/186/cc003626d0c2a5c2e2e0356885b3f63a_large.jpg?1399635852

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/987/188/f6dcf196d33518fb7b0670066d0c40e9_large.jpg?1399635880

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/987/191/66c3d28b353b83fe5fe16dd34ee113b6_large.jpg?1399635903
Last edited by MagikFingerz on Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed images
OnTheGrind

Unread post by OnTheGrind »

I like the idea of the new change, but it's kind of confusing that the black suits are kept gold and the red suits are faded out/changed to black... Maybe if you did the opposite it would be better.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by rousselle »

OnTheGrind wrote:I like the idea of the new change, but it's kind of confusing that the black suits are kept gold and the red suits are faded out/changed to black... Maybe if you did the opposite it would be better.
I second that. I'd recommend either using OnTheGrind's suggestion there, or use red instead of blue/black for the hearts/diamonds. I'm not sure why you're avoiding red; I think a thoughtfully chosen shade of red can be used and still be classy without being garish or too evokative of blood, esp. if it's just the insides of the pips.

That said, though, I love the fact that you're listening and very carefully considering what to change while still being true to your vision. I continue to be excited about this project.
This space intentionally left blank.
samurai007

Unread post by samurai007 »

Yep, make the clubs and spades grey instead of the hearts and diamonds and you've got a winner!
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

I fourth that of making the hearts and diamonds gold and the clubs and spades gray.

The gray goes good, I think red will make it look awkward.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I have to agree - it's just confusing and counter-intuitive... "5th!"
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Looking really good! And I (6th?) the suit color swapping please. :)
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

I think you shouldn't make it go from a lighter gray to a darker gray. I'd prefer it if it was just one shade of gray.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yashi wrote:I think you shouldn't make it go from a lighter gray to a darker gray. I'd prefer it if it was just one shade of gray.
Agreed, the graded shades makes them one-way.
- Tom

Check out my collection

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Muertos - Day of the Dead Playing Cards (KS) (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Just looked at this project again and I've seen a few wooden cards before, i just dont see how well they could hold up. I understand the collective aspect but not at those prices.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

The white Mourning Deck has been unlocked. This is what I was waiting for. Very nice looking, and have to admit I warmed up to the black edition the more I saw of the courts.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/940/709/843367e12fb83e365309452233693873_large.jpg?1398760215

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/940/707/08e8e71e676415b0a0f44c4e3f218f7c_large.jpg?1398760192
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Widdee wrote:The white Mourning Deck has been unlocked. This is what I was waiting for. Very nice looking, and have to admit I warmed up to the black edition the more I saw of the courts.
Thanks for the heads up. I might pledge now. Strange though, I'm pretty sure I checked on this yesterday (my time) and it didn't seem that close to the 40k mark.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only thing stopping me from pledging now is the thick borders :(
- Tom

Check out my collection

TLZ1979

Unread post by TLZ1979 »

Yashi wrote:
Widdee wrote:The white Mourning Deck has been unlocked. This is what I was waiting for. Very nice looking, and have to admit I warmed up to the black edition the more I saw of the courts.
Thanks for the heads up. I might pledge now. Strange though, I'm pretty sure I checked on this yesterday (my time) and it didn't seem that close to the 40k mark.
you aren't wrong at all,

last 2 days they picked up

146 new backers - $5,636 funding
160 new backers - $7,859 funding

when it was averaging about $800 dollars and 20 new backers a day for the 17 days. Not saying anything fishy is going on, just bizarre, as it was like anything new got released over the last 2 days.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Something similar happened with one of the minimalist design decks - turned out he'd done a campus radio interview and about a trillion new pledges from design students dropped out of nowhere.

In this case I'd have mt red flags up IF the number of backers had been significantly fewer. The average on those days was around $50 a pop which isnt unreasonable.
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

TLZ1979 wrote:
last 2 days they picked up

146 new backers - $5,636 funding
160 new backers - $7,859 funding
Perhaps a successful targeted high volume marketing campaign.
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Holy crap, this project jumped by 14k in one day :shock:

The graph looks exponential instead of linear. Wow.

The 60k stretch goal has been reached, which gives each backer that pledged 3 or more night decks a free mourning gold deck.

EDIT: I saw in the comments section that it may be because the deck was posted on 9gag?