Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: The "Hey, look what I added to my collection!" thread

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Mike Ratledge wrote:...the new laptop my "company" furnished. The beast has 16gb RAM and an octal processor. I'm sold...
I don't mind people getting decks sooner than me, but this made me hate you just a little bit... :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

chach wrote:In addition to the Zenith cards, I received this little guy today. Not sure how old it is but I. Getting a 50s - 60s vibe off it for some reason. Haven't looked it up yet, figured in the time it would take me to research it I could post it and someone way more knowledgable than I would drop the knowledge bomb down.

Definitely de la Rue (British) maker and pre-1969 as Jace noted, but I'm not familiar with this specific deck. A lot of non-domestic decks I get (Waddington, Bierman, Piatnik, Baptist P Grimaud, Palekh, etc) I am mostly on my on.

Jace, do you know more about this one? Obviously a "Crown" deck from the inscription, but that's about all I can say and hopefully that was obvious. It's wrapped per British tax regs so it likely has a 3 pence annotation on the AoS, but of course with a mint deck you can't see that... "3 pence if used in Great Britain and Ireland".
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
chach wrote:In addition to the Zenith cards, I received this little guy today. Not sure how old it is but I. Getting a 50s - 60s vibe off it for some reason. Haven't looked it up yet, figured in the time it would take me to research it I could post it and someone way more knowledgable than I would drop the knowledge bomb down.

Definitely de la Rue (British) maker and pre-1969 as Jace noted, but I'm not familiar with this specific deck. A lot of non-domestic decks I get (Waddington, Bierman, Piatnik, Baptist P Grimaud, Palekh, etc) I am mostly on my on.

Jace, do you know more about this one? Obviously a "Crown" deck from the inscription, but that's about all I can say and hopefully that was obvious. It's wrapped per British tax regs so it likely has a 3 pence annotation on the AoS, but of course with a mint deck you can't see that... "3 pence if used in Great Britain and Ireland".
I`ve narrowed it down a bit .The Crown deck was one of the cheaper grades of packs produced straight after WW2 for use in stores like woolworth`s & boots etc.
Chach`s pack is the same as mine that`s shown in my collection thread so the AoS dates the pack from between 1943-1950,The AoS you have mentioned with the "When used in Great Britain and Ireland" was used up until 1935.
Then after 1957 The Silhouette of Thomas de la rue was introduced into the ace of spades.
Judging by the tuck which is quite plain (due too lack of resources because of the war)i would guess (only a guess)the tuck is from the early part of 1943-1946ish . Sorry i couldn`t be more specific

EDIT ; Because this deck is one of the cheaper grades of pack the actual cards inside won`t be cellophane wrapped,Just paper wrapped over the tuck,so the cards inside won`t be in very good condition. there will not be any jokers in the packs either.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

That's still more info than I've gathered, still haven't had a chance to properly sit in front of a computer yet, been a busy couple days. Thank you very much. I kinda wish the tax saddle wasn't there so I could open it up and see but I'm not going to break the seal on a ~60 year old deck.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Jock1971

chach wrote:That's still more info than I've gathered, still haven't had a chance to properly sit in front of a computer yet, been a busy couple days. Thank you very much. I kinda wish the tax saddle wasn't there so I could open it up and see but I'm not going to break the seal on a ~60 year old deck.
:D No problem ,Always good to see Old British decks popping up in this thread :D -Jase-
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I don't post in this thread enough.

This package came in the other day, and I'm blown away. I love it

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0290_zps7338a45e.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0291_zps75ba929e.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0292_zps1281feb7.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0293_zps816af5cd.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0294_zps4270ddd0.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0295_zps5aac90c3.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0296_zpsabf04d48.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0297_zps9319a076.jpg

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Bout time you got yourself some Calaveras. Those rank among my all time faves. :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually, I looked it up and the Crown deck is likely late 40's early 50's, could be as early as 1942, but not likely since it doesn't have the "War time" manufacture wording.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:
Actually, I looked it up and the Crown deck is likely late 40's early 50's, could be as early as 1942, but not likely since it doesn't have the "War time" manufacture wording.
I have only seen Waddington packs with that inscription on them, DLR might have put it on their packs as both manufacturers were using the same factory at crown point in Leeds at that time,but have not seen one yet.
PrincessTrouble

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

CBJ wrote:I don't post in this thread enough.

This package came in the other day, and I'm blown away. I love it

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/1rideout/IMG_0290_zps7338a45e.jpg

CBJ
I received the same package yesterday (including the coin and the extra Calaveras deck). That mini Ouija board and the planchette are the cat's ass! Love them!
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

I wasn't fortunate enough to get in on the coin and Planchette but these came today. Now I need to get a set to open.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/nECr0MaNCeD/DSC01242_zpse8add57a.jpg
Again please forgive my poor photography skills

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/nECr0MaNCeD/DSC01254_zpsbcda793f.jpg
Technically these are open but I don't want to spoil the moment so to speak

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/nECr0MaNCeD/DSC01264_zpsa7b2ecce.jpg
Side view
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that's what they get for telling Chris that the Caleveras were "too plain" - look at those dang tucks on the Oracle! I found a set of 3 more in my mailbox this evening to go with my matched set previous matched set including the Bicycle branded Limited Edition, planchette, mini "Ouiji Board" and black felt pouch.

OK, so what arrived in my mailbox today? How about a pair of vintage British decks? One "Charles Goodall" Colonials deck, I'm going with about 1925'ish on those, and one deck of the "Crown" deck that has been shown before, and it appears to have just about the same condition problems seen with the previous one. Apparently it's quite common due to what Jace noted, that these were only wrapped in a decent paper instead of sealed in cellophone. This one's about mid-40's to 1950, I'm going to guess. Jace - do you have better estimates on the dates? I'm judging by the style and condition, mostly - and I'm pretty good at it. The Colonials have a mismatched Green-backed Joker as opposed to the rest of the deck, which has red backs. I suppose there were a pair of them too close together and at some point the jokers got swapped (or something like that). Someone also seems to have tried to rebrand or repatriate them - they have "French" "V"/"D"/"R" indices over the original "J"/"Q"/"K".
Attachments
Goodalls_Colonials_tuck.JPG
Goodalls_Colonials_mismatch_Joker_back.JPG
Goodalls_Colonials_remade_French.JPG
Crown_Deck_192x.JPG
Crown_Deck_tax_wrap.JPG
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Mike Ratledge wrote:Yep, that's what they get for telling Chris that the Caleveras were "too plain" - look at those dang tucks on the Oracle! I found a set of 3 more in my mailbox this evening to go with my matched set previous matched set including the Bicycle branded Limited Edition, planchette, mini "Ouiji Board" and black felt pouch.
Chris kinda floats under the radar compared to other top designers but damn he rocks. Those tucks are killer and got the LE pouch pak too Mike. Way cool!
Jock1971

Mike Ratledge wrote:OK, so what arrived in my mailbox today? How about a pair of vintage British decks? One "Charles Goodall" Colonials deck, I'm going with about 1925'ish on those, and one deck of the "Crown" deck that has been shown before, and it appears to have just about the same condition problems seen with the previous one. Apparently it's quite common due to what Jace noted, that these were only wrapped in a decent paper instead of sealed in cellophone. This one's about mid-40's to 1950, I'm going to guess. Jace - do you have better estimates on the dates? I'm judging by the style and condition, mostly - and I'm pretty good at it. The Colonials have a mismatched Green-backed Joker as opposed to the rest of the deck, which has red backs. I suppose there were a pair of them too close together and at some point the jokers got swapped (or something like that). Someone also seems to have tried to rebrand or repatriate them - they have "French" "V"/"D"/"R" indices over the original "J"/"Q"/"K".
Mike You Know how to make a man drool :drool: :drool:
i aint no expert and would rather not date anything incase i get it all wrong ,but them goodalls i know a little about.
the colonials were introduced into the range during the 1890`s as a special cheap series for export and they only came with One joker, a shame someone drew over the indices, as you can date better with those sometimes.
Index types 2.jpg
I can`t quite make out the ace but if it has Limd after the "son" it`s date is between 1897-1921 after that the Limd was replaced by Ltd and registered trade mark around top edge of the ace
GOODALLS -aces-of-spades.jpg
As for the crown i`m still sticking with the date i said earlier ..sorry :oops:-Jase-
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

ZENITH!!! :D :D :D :D :D
PhotoGrid_1399536842888_1.jpg
From another angle (I don't think there are any other decks that look as awesome as these decks do from the same angle)
PhotoGrid_1399543613974.jpg
Maddest Hammer
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Maddest Hammer »

Nice, Sher! Got mine today, too. My iPhone takes crap pictures, but here they are. :D
Attachments
Zenith.jpeg
will kidnap and torture your boss for a dollar...
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jock1971 wrote:Mike You Know how to make a man drool :drool: :drool:
i aint no expert and would rather not date anything incase i get it all wrong ,but them goodalls i know a little about.
the colonials were introduced into the range during the 1890`s as a special cheap series for export and they only came with One joker, a shame someone drew over the indices, as you can date better with those sometimes.

I can`t quite make out the ace but if it has Limd after the "son" it`s date is between 1897-1921 after that the Limd was replaced by Ltd and registered trade mark around top edge of the ace

As for the crown i`m still sticking with the date i said earlier ..sorry :oops:-Jase-
Typical of my crappy pix, huh? I'll drag them out here when I'm not working (after Saturday @ 5PM at the earliest) and do a better pix or two, but I'm pretty certain that it does have the earlier "limd" vice "Ltd" on it. I'm thinking right at 1920, but "I've been known to be wrong before"...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Jock1971 wrote:i aint no expert and would rather not date anything incase i get it all wrong
Oh, come on, Jock... Get out there, meet a few people, ask somebody out - You'll be dating in no time!

And as for "getting it all wrong", that's what dating is all about: getting it wrong until you finally get it right!!

NOTE TO MIKE: CHECK TO SEE IF DOMAIN "UCMATCH.COM" IS ALREADY REGISTERED. :D
-Marcel Marceau
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Look what just arrived! Joker uncut, posters, cigar & panda decks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62608242/May%208%2C%202014%20Card%20Arrivals%20%28Medium%29.jpg
RSLancastr

ecNate wrote:Look what just arrived! Joker uncut, posters, cigar & panda decks

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62608242/May%208%2C%202014%20Card%20Arrivals%20%28Medium%29.jpg
At a first glance, my brain thought "Hey, a teeny-tiny uncut!" :oops:
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

ecNate wrote:Look what just arrived! Joker uncut, posters, cigar & panda decks

I think my shipment shows tomorrow? Maybe today - not certain. I think the one today is them and tomorrow is Uusi's uncuts and other toys. (hoping against hope my 2-deck swivel case is in there!) Knowing that they are just getting started on gilding the decks, those aren't likely to be - just yet.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Jock1971

RSLancastr wrote:
Jock1971 wrote:i aint no expert and would rather not date anything incase i get it all wrong
Oh, come on, Jock... Get out there, meet a few people, ask somebody out - You'll be dating in no time!

And as for "getting it all wrong", that's what dating is all about: getting it wrong until you finally get it right!!

NOTE TO MIKE: CHECK TO SEE IF DOMAIN "UCMATCH.COM" IS ALREADY REGISTERED. :D
Hey Robert , Have you been talking to my MOTHER ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RSLancastr

Jock1971 wrote:Hey Robert , Have you been talking to my MOTHER ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to bite my tongue, resist all of the cheap punchlines you just set up for me, and just say:
Who, me? wrote:Why, uh, no... um, why do you ask? :roll:
-Marcel Marceau
Jock1971

RSLancastr wrote:
Jock1971 wrote:Hey Robert , Have you been talking to my MOTHER ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to bite my tongue, resist all of the cheap punchlines you just set up for me, and just say:
Who, me? wrote:Why, uh, no... um, why do you ask? :roll:
:o :o :o :o

Back on thread,I`ve noticed a few old English decks being shown off , so i`ll return the favour
Here`s one i got in today along with some old goodalls,waddy`s and DLR`S
100_0496.JPG
This double is made by Hoyle ,one pack is still sealed with a tax stamp cancelled by U.S.P.C.Co .The code on the AoS is C 1855.

So i`m guessing 1961 . Am i right?? -Jase-
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

The first one of those I have seen: Pagan LE signed uncut sheet. (and Bicycle "Joker" - actually there are 28 different cards, because of the two gaffs that replace what would be the Jokers) By the way, one signature is fairly obviously P(eter) Dunham, and Linnea obviously missed her calling as a doctor? :D
Attachments
tmp_20140508_170712-1337038286.jpg
tmp_20140508_170751-1-1438085369.jpg
tmp_20140508_171542-1106898076.jpg
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

rpelberg

Unread post by rpelberg »

cardz.JPG
My Artscow.com deck came in. Definitely the coolest deck I purchased for $1, but I say that probably because it's my first design attempt. Oh yea I got 3 Zenith in too but everyone else has those pictures covered.
Maddest Hammer
Decks Owned: 500

Unread post by Maddest Hammer »

This little gem finally came in the mail today. That's one less thing on the most wanted list.
Attachments
Blue Blood.jpeg
will kidnap and torture your boss for a dollar...
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Open it. :lol:
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Eoghann wrote:Open it. :lol:
Hur hur mines opened :lol: dont keep that awesome artwork in the box !
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Go ahead Hammer...you know you want to...take a bite out of that forbidden fruit. Hissssss :lol: