Uusi's 5th deck: "Hotcakes": Funded $46,000 on Kickstarter!

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Uusi's 5th deck: "Hotcakes" exclusive preview March 20th

Unread post by uusikissa »

volantangel wrote:The first deck to not adopt (eventually with BB Redux) Uusi's signature pips
You are quite right Volantangle - We felt the theme and the look of the courts needed a much more playful looking set of pips.

P
http://uusi.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

sinjin7 wrote:I'm going to be very curious to see if the more risqué nature of this deck affects sales. Having said that, I am certain this will fund within the first day. I love how colorful this deck is so far, and color is one of the reasons why Bohemia is one of my favorite decks of all time. The early days of custom playing cards were driven in large part by Ellusionist and Theory11, so we got dark, goth, predominately black decks with way too much skulls and weaponry. Its refreshing to see designers not in the magic industry coming out with bright, vibrant, colorful decks. And it looks like this deck will also have a full bleed back like Pagan, which I also like a lot.
Yep, I agree with all of the above.

Looking forward to fanning this great-looking borderless back. Giant fans are going to look insane(ly beautiful)!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

MagikFingerz wrote:Looking forward to fanning this great-looking borderless back. Giant fans are going to look insane(ly beautiful)!
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I thought you guys were all about the "THIN BORDERS!!"
-Marcel Marceau
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

RSLancastr wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:Looking forward to fanning this great-looking borderless back. Giant fans are going to look insane(ly beautiful)!
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I thought you guys were all about the "THIN BORDERS!!"
Yes, IF there are borders <insert java programming joke here>

It's all about the cards looking good when fanned/spread, so if a back has borders they need to be thin. But even with thin borders it's hard to display any of the back design in a regular fan (giant fans can though), and so all bordered decks have that kind of "boring" quality. No borders means as much of the back design can be seen, and it also sometimes "helps" uneven fans because the cards blend together more.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RSLancastr

Interesting, Tom - thanks!
-Marcel Marceau
craftspell

Unread post by craftspell »

Duno if this is a popular thought, but I kinda hope that the courts are gonna be mirrored :P
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

craftspell wrote:Duno if this is a popular thought, but I kinda hope that the courts are gonna be mirrored :P
Nope, one way courts - examples on page 4.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr

craftspell wrote:Duno if this is a popular thought, but I kinda hope that the courts are gonna be mirrored :P
If by "mirrored" you mean double-ended (looks the same turned either way), then no.

Mike quoted Linnea as describing the deck's design inspiration as "Think Pucci meets 17th Century playing card art.", and double-ended courts did not come about (or were not popular, at least) until the late 19th century (the 1880s).

I have always found it interesting that three major innovations in playing cards which we accept as "givens" today (double-ended courts, corner indices and jokers) all came about in the 1880s - evidently, quite a decade for innovation in playing cards.

ETA: I've caught anachronism mistakes in multiple films regarding this. If the film is set prior to 1880, any playing cards used in the film should have no indices (holding a hand of cards in a fan would be of little use, forcing card players to pull individual cards out of a hand in order to see their rank and suit) and single-ended courts (so players would occasionally be turning a card "rightside-up" in their hand).

ETA2: If any of that does not make sense to you, try playing a hand of your favorite card game using a replica deck which has single-ended courts and no indices. You'll soon wonder why it took centuries of card play for these simple and extremely helpful innovations to come about.

ETA3: To complete your torture, make sure the deck has square corners (round corners were yet another innovation from around the same time period).

ETA4: Oh, and they should be uncoated as well. You'll soon wonder why anyone even bothered to play cards prior to the 1880s...

Okay, all done!
-Marcel Marceau
alric

Unread post by alric »

I would've preferred 2 way court cards as well, but Uusi did say this was more of an art deck, so they're taking some artistic license over playability with this deck. I can't wait to see how the tuck box is going to look. If you look at the progression of all their decks, you definitely see that Uusi is improving the quality of their tuck boxes with each release so I have very high expectations!

A wealth of information as always, Robert.
RSLancastr

alric wrote:A wealth of information as always, Robert.
Thanks! It's just nice to have something to do with it, you know?
-Marcel Marceau
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Peter & Linnea,

Will you be doing a limited run of gilded edged decks on this campaign, too? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you will be doing this for the rest of the playing card projects after Pagan, but I'm not certain. If you are, will you be giving advanced notice?
RSLancastr

Sher143 wrote:Peter & Linnea,

Will you be doing a limited run of gilded edged decks on this campaign, too??
Ooh, nice!

I know that you flourishers have issues with gilt edges, but, to me, they add a touch of class to a deck.
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

RSLancastr wrote:

Ooh, nice!

I know that you flourishers have issues with gilt edges, but, to me, they add a touch of class to a deck.
Uusi gilds their own decks, not done by USPCC. I can't tell you the exact process but it work. I expect they will have more this time? Hope so!
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:

Ooh, nice!

Uusi gilds their own decks, not done by USPCC. I can't tell you the exact process but it work. I expect they will have more this time? Hope so!
Yes, I just saw on their site that they hand-gilded fifty copies of (I think it was) Pagan, only twenty of which are available on the site. I didn't notice the price difference, though.
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd have to look back at the Pagan updates, but I think they sold 30 of 50 total decks for $75 each one per customer late in that campaign. I was happy to get one, it's an important variant of their series.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

uusikissa
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by uusikissa »

Mike Ratledge wrote:I'd have to look back at the Pagan updates, but I think they sold 30 of 50 total decks for $75 each one per customer late in that campaign. I was happy to get one, it's an important variant of their series.
Hey Mike, you're right - we limited the 22KT Gilded decks to 30 in our Pagan KS project and they went for $75 each. We put 20 LE gilded decks on our website where they are $125 each – you see that price when you choose that deck option for purchase. The gilding technique we are using is the traditional process of gilding by hand that has changed very little in the 400 years since it was introduced. To our knowledge, most gilded decks offered today are done with gold foil – not actual gold leaf – as it is less fragile and not as time-consuming to make and can also be done by machine.

We will not have any 22KT decks for Hotcakes as we didn't feel a gold edged deck was appropriate for this design, but we will be offering a limited amount of decks with another very unique edge application that we are excited to reveal and is the perfect match for "Hotcakes".

We are also designing a special case – not wood – to hold an individual deck and if all comes together as we hope, it will be included in the "Hotcakes" project.

There will be a few more surprises we've planned for the rewards for "Hotcakes" that we hope everyone enjoys!

P&L
http://uusi.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Oh stop teasing us, would you just like my credit card number?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

uusikissa wrote:
Mike Ratledge wrote:I'd have to look back at the Pagan updates, but I think they sold 30 of 50 total decks for $75 each one per customer late in that campaign. I was happy to get one, it's an important variant of their series.
Hey Mike, you're right - we limited the 22KT Gilded decks to 30 in our Pagan KS project and they went for $75 each. We put 20 LE gilded decks on our website where they are $125 each – you see that price when you choose that deck option for purchase. The gilding technique we are using is the traditional process of gilding by hand that has changed very little in the 400 years since it was introduced. To our knowledge, most gilded decks offered today are done with gold foil – not actual gold leaf – as it is less fragile and not as time-consuming to make and can also be done by machine.
Makes sense, frankly - I was just curious, "thanks for sharing!". :P Is it going to be lecherous, I hope? :?:
uusikissa wrote:We will not have any 22KT decks for Hotcakes as we didn't feel a gold edged deck was appropriate for this design, but we will be offering a limited amount of decks with another very unique edge application that we are excited to reveal and is the perfect match for "Hotcakes".
No doubt I'll be waiting to jump for an opportunity to get a couple! You haven't really said but are we safe assuming 2 varieties? I figured yes...
uusikissa wrote:We are also designing a special case – not wood – to hold an individual deck and if all comes together as we hope, it will be included in the "Hotcakes" project.

There will be a few more surprises we've planned for the rewards for "Hotcakes" that we hope everyone enjoys!

P&L
Interesting! I can't wait to see what Peter has cooked up for this time, frankly! I'm sure he's had an eye on my case for Pagan, Donna wanted one (badly!).
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thankfully, that thing is his hand isn't phallic, either.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Frankly I'm thankful that the sword through the head isn't pork.

Looks ace though!
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

uusikissa wrote: ...we will be offering a limited amount of decks with another very unique edge application that we are excited to reveal and is the perfect match for "Hotcakes"...
Maple Syrup? ...or better yet...
bacon-lube-300x358.jpg
bacon-lube-300x358.jpg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Keep it Sizzlin'!
DukeBoy

Unread post by DukeBoy »

uusikissa wrote:..., but we will be offering a limited amount of decks with another very unique edge application that we are excited to reveal and is the perfect match for "Hotcakes".

P&L
Maple Syrup right?
10-4 over and out
RSLancastr

DukeBoy wrote:Maple Syrup right?
Now that would make fanning/flourishing an issue!
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

RSLancastr wrote:
DukeBoy wrote:Maple Syrup right?
Now that would make fanning/flourishing an issue!
Or butter? Maybe not my wisest choice for word picks there...
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr

Mike Ratledge wrote:Or butter? Maybe not my wisest choice for word picks there...
If they are to be USPCC-printed, perhaps they could come up with a new "Butter Finish" for the deck?
-Marcel Marceau
Sher

Unread post by Sher »

Thanks for the response, Peter & Linnea :) If possible please give us advance notice of their release. Thanks again :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

And I heard from Linnea yesterday that they will be announcing the kickstarter project target dates here in the next few days.

"Stay tuned" for further detailed information! "Hotcakes" will be alive and well soon, and I'm also assuming that this means that the Pagan decks are either very close or ready to ship. (hoping that my wooden case comes soon!) :drool:
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Oswin
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Oswin »

New pics:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/636183bac2.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/380294back1.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/827128ter.jpg
"Le temps passe, mais les oeufs durs !" - Daniel Prévost
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

This is the first back design from uusi that i dont love, i like the courts but not this back design. The colours are simply too glaring for the eyes, and the black and pink combination really doesnt work. One thing i would definitely remove is the cross pattern from the background.

edit: The black and pink back reminds me of Devos april fools (angry pussy) deck. Not a good thing.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

I prefer their first back much more. I think casino-style full bleed backs should have some geometric uniformity. This new back is much more organic. While I don't mind the grid pattern in the background (it provides some texture), the overall design is very busy and distracting to the eye, probably more so than you want for card play. I really hope Uusi considers returning to the first back design pictured below.
Attachments
Uusi Hotcakes.jpg
Uusi Hotcakes.jpg (157.72 KiB) Viewed 1485 times