Pocono Modern Playing Cards

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
rpelberg

Pocono Modern Playing Cards

Unread post by rpelberg »

New project went up on KS. Being originally from around that area and enjoying the design im in.

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: Pocono Modern Playing Cards

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I just don't understand this need to put text on back designs and courts that some people seem to have. It's usually just the name of the deck on the back, but also where the creator is from? And "Jack/Queen/King" on the court cards? Ugh...
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
rpelberg

If I didn't have a connection to that area I would agree but for me that is a selling point. I do agree on the overstatement of the court carts being unneeded and looking wordy, it would be better filled in with trees or leaves.
vasta41
Card Oracle
Card Oracle

Unread post by vasta41 »

I really like the style and colors of this deck.. but I think the tuck could use some work and it goes downhill from there. The back is gross (I 2nd what Tom said) and if I didn't already know about that place, I would also have no idea what's going on here. In summary, so close yet so far.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Original post updated
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Not a home run for me, either.

And while not technically "repeating courts", there does not seem to be a whole lot of variation between them... :(
Keep it Sizzlin'!
vjose32

Unread post by vjose32 »

Only ships to US - pass!
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

I think it's a fun deck not to be taken too seriously. Like the retro feel and that at least it's different. This is novelty lodge poker stuff.
rpelberg

You can totally picture a family in a wood cabin with the fire raging sitting around playing with these cards
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

th4mo wrote:Not a home run for me, either.

And while not technically "repeating courts", there does not seem to be a whole lot of variation between them... :(
If they didn't have those repeating courts I'll be all over this. I love the style but drop the words and the back design can be more refined. Seem like this is a swing and a miss.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

This is up in my neck of the woods. Excuse the pun. I like the deck overall but the tuck case needs work. Too many words for me.
Barclay Mountains Co.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

The tuck looks nice with me. The card backs are awful. The orange, blue and black combo looks ok. The court animals look good but it's horrible they're repeated. They could of used 9 more different animals.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
Sparkz
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Sparkz »

It was pointed out that this seems to be a promotional deck for the company (http://www.poconomodern.com/)

With that in mind, I kind of like it. Far cry from slapping your company name on a standard deck and calling it a day.
kkalashian
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by kkalashian »

Hey All - I'm the Owner of Pocono Modern and the creator of this campaign. I really appreciate all the feedback and constructive criticism. With regard to the deck design Widdee is totally correct- It's not meant to be too serious and we actually tried to design it so that it would appeal to all ages - kids and adults alike. Also, because we designed the court cards as atypical, we wanted the system to be quickly legible. I have purchased cards from other campaigns and was frustrated by how difficult it was to actually play with the cards. We felt that by calling out the court cards with the names, it would be unique and retro. I can see how it could be conceived as distracting or annoying and perhaps we will revisit that before the final run. I also agree somewhat with the comments about the back. We had at least two dozen other options that were more geometric with no text, but there seemed to be a big disconnect between the front and the back. Perhaps we will take another look at that also. As this is our first deck design, we are always seeking to improve our work. Keep the comments coming and we will also let you know if and when we make some design updates. Thanks!
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Absolutely love the retro style! I agree that the over abundance of text on that back is somewhat off putting but everything else I'm ok with, even the labeled courts..to some extent.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

vjose32 wrote:Only ships to US - pass!
Check again, they have specific pledges for US and non-US. In fact, the shipping for International is quite reasonable!
volantangel

Strag wrote:
vjose32 wrote:Only ships to US - pass!
Check again, they have specific pledges for US and non-US. In fact, the shipping for International is quite reasonable!
If these didnt have repeating courts ill probably be in for the $60 tier
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

I agree with those who don't like the repeating courts. There's all sorts of other animals that could fill out the court sets- otter, beaver, eagle, hunting dog, mountain lion, mallard, etcetera. If you're going to do it, go the extra mile and make it totally unique. Heck, it's gotta go through the press one way or the other, make it count!

That said I really like the deck and am in for a couple. Will increase it if some tweaks are made.
rpelberg

I think if more court cards are added , which would definitely improve the deck, that animal should be displayed that prominently live in that area. Blue heron, Woodpecker, Bald eagle, Cotton tail, Chipmunk, Flying squirrel,Porcupine, Opossum,Bobcat, Voles, Beaver, and Skunks..... would all work well. Also, all of Widdee's suggestions are viable.
DragonSoul

Unread post by DragonSoul »

I love the retro style as well. I'm o.k. with the tuck and I can even live with the backs because they do fit the theme. But, I wouldn't mine seeing some alternate designs. Maybe let the backers vote. However, I am not a fan of repeating courts and would really love to see more animals.
kkalashian
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Pocono Modern Playing Cards - UPDATE

I wanted to thank you all again for the feedback and the support - we are definitely taking it all to heart and are going to be coming up with new designs for the BACK of the card which don't have any text. We are going to develop three or four designs and then let the backers vote - I am going to post an update on the campaign shortly. We are also coming up with some alternate court cards to keep things interesting. The only thing is that we want to keep the animals specific to the Pocono area, so stay tuned for those new designs as well. We want to make the deck as great as possible and I know we will get there! Thanks again.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

That's great to hear! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

kkalashian wrote:I wanted to thank you all again for the feedback and the support - we are definitely taking it all to heart and are going to be coming up with new designs for the BACK of the card which don't have any text. We are going to develop three or four designs and then let the backers vote - I am going to post an update on the campaign shortly. We are also coming up with some alternate court cards to keep things interesting. The only thing is that we want to keep the animals specific to the Pocono area, so stay tuned for those new designs as well. We want to make the deck as great as possible and I know we will get there! Thanks again.
All right!!! Thanks for your efforts, sounds fantastic.
maggock
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by maggock »

kkalashian wrote:I wanted to thank you all again for the feedback and the support - we are definitely taking it all to heart and are going to be coming up with new designs for the BACK of the card which don't have any text. We are going to develop three or four designs and then let the backers vote - I am going to post an update on the campaign shortly. We are also coming up with some alternate court cards to keep things interesting. The only thing is that we want to keep the animals specific to the Pocono area, so stay tuned for those new designs as well. We want to make the deck as great as possible and I know we will get there! Thanks again.
I'm excited to hear this. I love animal decks but this one felt a little repetitive to me, with all the courts being the same. I look forward to seeing the new courts!
volantangel

Ill be in if the new courts take on new animals done in the same style =)
kkalashian
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Pocono Modern Playing Cards - New Backs

We just put the new back designs on our campaign (I was unable to figure out how to post them here so if someone could fill me in, I'd love to do that too) - we are going to have the supporters vote - We are also going to be doing new Court Cards to add to the existing - we did options with all different animals and thought they were too confusing but we will have four different versions of each animal which I think you will enjoy! We have taken your advice to heart and removed the text on the back (as well as the court cards coming out) and we have some more options to come. Thanks again for all your feedback! - Kraig
Attachments
image.jpg
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

kkalashian wrote:We just put the new back designs on our campaign (I was unable to figure out how to post them here so if someone could fill me in, I'd love to do that too) - we are going to have the supporters vote - We are also going to be doing new Court Cards to add to the existing - we did options with all different animals and thought they were too confusing but we will have four different versions of each animal which I think you will enjoy! We have taken your advice to heart and removed the text on the back (as well as the court cards coming out) and we have some more options to come. Thanks again for all your feedback! - Kraig
When you're replying, instead of quick reply choose full editor. There you will see a UCIMG button. Press that and copy your image link in between both brackets.
Like this:

Code: Select all

[ucimg]www.image.jpg[/ucimg]
Or you can upload it directly. Again, in full editor. Select Upload Attachment below the text box, select your image and upload. :)

Went ahead and did it for you.

Personally, despite it being one way, I really like #4. :)
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eoghann wrote:When you're replying, instead of quick reply choose full editor.
Or click the "Post Reply" button in the lower left corner :ugeek:
- Tom

Check out my collection

Widdee

Unread post by Widdee »

Three is the only true two-way and first impression I liked it best. Like the black borders on 2 and 3.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Widdee wrote:Three is the only true two-way and first impression I liked it best. Like the black borders on 2 and 3.
Completely agree. Something's just not right with 1 and 2, the spyglass effect just looks a bit strange. And I don't like 4 at all, despite my past expressions of fondness for borderless designs.

Number 3 is solid.
- Tom

Check out my collection