Wiretap - (KS Relaunch)

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Player: Yes

Wiretap - (KS Relaunch)

Unread post by DevilishRogue »

Hey guys, Dave Boyd here. I was the artist of the Sultana deck that got funded last year (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66 ... t-deck-usp), and I just want to thank everyone again who pitched in and backed the project.
Which brings me to the next project that I've been working on - Bicycle® Wiretap playing cards.

Why should the government be the ones with all of the fun spying tools? Wiretap is a reflection of the current spying scandals in Washington, D.C. Below are a few unfinished sample cards. There will actually be more background to each, and each suit has a theme based on the types of spying tools out there. The face cards will also have a secondary pip up top. The back is fully reversible.

ImageImage

The campaign starts on Kickstarter on FEBRUARY 28th, 2014, and, if funded, will be distributed by Jackson Robinson's King's Wild Fulfillment program. The cards will be printed on Air Cushion finish with a Matte tuckbox (though this is subject to change as funding increases). Alongside the deck, I have also parsed out expenses for custom t-shirts, magnets, dice, and offset prints. I want to humbly thank you all again for helping me and Deco Playing Cards to fund our last deck, and want to give you guys the best that I've got.

ImageImage

These cards are nearly complete, but I need to run through in the next 12 days and give the colors major tweaks.

ImageImage

Better view of two of the aces.

As with the Sultana deck, all of the cards are 100% pencil with digital layout and coloring.

For more info on the face cards and reasons behind my choices in the deck, please visit: http://humorousrobot.com/2014/01/16/ris ... crescendo/. Ignore the line about the Jokers and the previous designs of the pips/aces, they're all lies! :) I really want to get you guys involved again, so the Jokers' designs will be offered as a pledge level. If the level isn't taken, however, I will go ahead and go with my original plans - but where's the fun in that?

Again, thanks guys and I look forward to bringing you guys an awesome deck (or two! :wink:).

Visit http://www.humorousrobot.com for updates, merch, and more!
volantangel
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 350

Re: [Bicycle] Wiretap - Coming to KS!

Unread post by volantangel »

I really like the designs of the aces, pips and back. It gives off the slight 3D feeling that i have yet to see work well on a deck. I am not thrilled by the court cards though, i know your concept for the deck is wiretap, i just wish the courts are as futuristic as the rest of the deck, was hoping to see more robocop/tron kind of court cards instead of actual people on them. But its your idea and i think its been executed well ! Definitely one to be watched =)
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Everything VA said really - I like the courts and could imagine them being more "men in black". It looks like they have (or will have) crowns - personally I dont think that would fit terribly well with the theme.
But I have this in my head now lol
http://people.howstuffworks.com/spy-pictures.htm
sms69x
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by sms69x »

My only concern is also about the courts... Everything else looks greet!
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

Hello,

I like the design in general. The font is really good :-)

But the frame on front of cards is disturbing for me : it take a lot of space and it is a bit "heavy". Spying is doing by little things...
My collection
The French Touch with english grammatical errors copyrighted by myself
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Agreed on the general consensus on the courts, something more "government agency"-ish would fit better.

Also I'm partial to the pips, kinda gives me an eye-overload. Something other than eyes/camera lenses would even things out more, like microphones.

Regarding the frame that lolo mentioned, I don't see it as that heavy since it seems to be quite faint. Number cards usually have a lot of empty space, so I think this goes against that norm in a good way.

Overall, I like the concept and art. I backed Sultana, so I'm glad to see you're still in the game, Dave :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

This hasn't won me over yet... I need to see a lot more from the courts.

But I also really liked your Sultana Deck, so I'm pulling for you as well. :D
Keep it Sizzlin'!
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

I hear you guys loud and clear on the courts issue. The people selected will be staying in the deck, but I'll be working to find a way to incorporate the futuristic look of the other cards in. It might be as simple as removing the crowns/shawls and keeping them to a more red-tie and black suit look, but I'll be experimenting with this heavily to find what works.

Tomorrow evening I'll be releasing the finished backgrounds of the number cards, along with the custom pips for the twos. I think it would be fitting to have blindfolded twos that (in some games) beat the aces, which represent the giant spying agencies we see today. Stay tuned! :)
malanthrax

Unread post by malanthrax »

Love the font! Glad that you are working a bit on the courts.
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Itty-bitty-gritty thumb of what the alternate pips look like for the twos:

"Why different pips? Shouldn't it be continuous?"
I really liked the idea of having most of the twos with one or more eyes that are covered, because in some games the twos actually beat aces. What do the information giants of the government hate? Getting left in the breeze without any intelligence. Additionally, this allows for most of the twos to have two total eyes on the cards, mirroring "snake-eyes."

More updates with the final backs to come!
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

I prefer the first pips design. New (hearts) makes me think of "Oh ! Rambo returns back again forever ! tatatata.... pwweeeeee.... BOOOMMM... arrrrggggllllll" ;-)

Frame definitively disturb me.

I have seen that your aces don't have a number. Is this definitive ?
My collection
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the idea of the partially blindfolded deuce pips, very original idea. I'd like to see more originality like that, things that build on card/game related features but doesn't take anything away from existing traditions.
- Tom

Check out my collection

lolo

Unread post by lolo »

MagikFingerz wrote:I like the idea of the partially blindfolded deuce pips, very original idea. I'd like to see more originality like that, things that build on card/game related features but doesn't take anything away from existing traditions.
I think blindfolding pips is a mistake. A spy is not blindfolded : he sees discreetly everything. It can be disguised but it doesnt seem the deck theme. IMHO blindfolded pips looks more like soldier (my rambo preceding post ;-)) than spy.
My collection
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

lolo wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:I like the idea of the partially blindfolded deuce pips, very original idea. I'd like to see more originality like that, things that build on card/game related features but doesn't take anything away from existing traditions.
I think blindfolding pips is a mistake. A spy is not blindfolded : he sees discreetly everything. It can be disguised but it doesnt seem the deck theme. IMHO blindfolded pips looks more like soldier (my rambo preceding post ;-)) than spy.
It's not supposed to look like spies, it's supposed to symbolize the government or "big brother". I think it's fitting since for every entity that "watches" people, there's always someone trying to "blindfold" them. Makes perfect sense to me 8-)
- Tom

Check out my collection

lolo

Unread post by lolo »

MagikFingerz wrote:It's not supposed to look like spies, it's supposed to symbolize the government or "big brother". I think it's fitting since for every entity that "watches" people, there's always someone trying to "blindfold" them. Makes perfect sense to me 8-)
I agree : it depends how you look the deck... Deck can be about spy or about people who be spied on or the two.
My collection
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I like the blindfolds - but to be honest I don't really understand the rationale behind them. (Or at least why they are on the deuces only).
(Those games where 2s beat aces, so do all the other cards. And if the 2s are to have snake-eyes, then the diamonds need it too to make it seem consistent and not a cool sounding afterthought - even if it means peeking from under the blindfold)

I could see blindfolds being used throughout a companion deck though - named something like "Wireles" (similar name - but 'off the grid' so to speak.)
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thank you all for the feedback. I've been reading it religiously and it's a blast to check out others' perspectives on the deck while it's still growing.

My reasoning behind the blindfolded twos is this: In most games, twos are the worst card to be left holding. Yes, in some variations of War twos beat aces, but generally twos are undesirable. They should have impaired abilities to gather information. Another intention of mine was for players to truly feel as if they had gotten snake-eyes with two twos. (The two of diamonds has a single blindfolded pip now to accommodate.) Perhaps too literal, but I'm still tinkering about at this point.

I released the full back for the diamonds today exclusively on my FB page in celebration of Presidents' Day, check it out here:
https://www.facebook.com/DMBillustratio ... =1&theater.

The courts are still coming along. Should have something definite to post by the weekend.
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hey guys. Things are looking good as I roll towards the February 28th KS release. You guys might be interested in the pip layout, check out the hi-res here:
http://humorousrobot.files.wordpress.co ... 010443.jpg.
McSpazzy

Unread post by McSpazzy »

I like it!
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Just let us know which time zone you'll start the project on the 28th. I will be making my pledge while working. 8-)
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Okay folks, here's the lowdown. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day for me, but the deck should release around 12am EST on Kickstarter. (9pm PST.) My part-time job is the reason that the deck is releasing so late tomorrow; otherwise it would be at about 7pm EST. For all you non-night owls, check it out over the weekend or on Monday.

For more information, a timelapse of me drawing the aces, and a sneak peek at the tuckbox, check up on this link: http://humorousrobot.com/

See you guys on the other side.
Bikefanatic
Decks Owned: 333

Unread post by Bikefanatic »

Perfect time for me. Early bird or not, I'm going in.
"When I like something, I buy. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist.

When I don't like something, I pass. No matter who did it, how many were printed or how many (re)colors exist."

-Lotrek

*MY PORTFOLIO52 PROFILE https://portfolio52.com/profile/26674

* MY SELLER REVIEW viewtopic.php?f=28&t=16586
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Well I'm an idiot. The KS would have launched but they still need to get back to me about reviewing it. Stick around to see what's up on Monday, I'll keep you guys posted with the real time!
lolo

Unread post by lolo »

Hello,

I'm looking your ace cards... You spade ace really looks like yours other aces. There is no differences...

IMHO, doing your spade ace more specific than the other aces will improve the global design of your deck...
My collection
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Mmmk! So the approval is all set, and the campaign will be opening tomorrow, Tuesday, March 4th at 8pm EST! Woot! :D
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Interesting idea, I like the concept. I especially love the tech theme, but undecided if I'll back to add to my collection as the pencil look isn't my style. It's pretty neat though. I'm also not sold on the court cards, will be watching to see if you make any mid project adjustments.

Good luck!
DevilishRogue
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

McSpazzy

Unread post by McSpazzy »

I considered the top tier...only to realize that my ability to 'work with' any form of or anyone with anything to do with any kind of art and or design would result in manly tears and fetal positions.
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Re: [Bicycle] Wiretap - (KS)

Unread post by badpete69 »

You just wanted a cheap brick Spazzy. there updated original post with kickup banner
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Bicycle] Wiretap - (KS)

I don't see anything about adding on extra decks.
- Tom

Check out my collection