Call of Cthulhu: The Writhing Dark - Playing Cards and Tarot

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Re: Call of Cthulhu: The Writhing Dark - Playing Cards and T

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Hey guys just wanted to give you a Tarot card 101. I'm sure most of you know the Tarot cards have a 4 x 14 structure with 22 extra trumps for a total of 78 cards. The Minor Arcana consists of the pips and court cards. They are basically the same as our modern day playing cards except they have an added court card called the Knight. The Major Arcana consists of the trumps numbered (1-21) and "The Fool" which has no number or rank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Same as our modern day playing cards we can trace the origin down to "The Rouen Pattern" http://whiteknucklecards.com/nsp/rouenpattern.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Tarot cards can also be traced down to 4 decks. Sorry it's in german but it the best site for seeing all the Tarot cards.

The Visconi-Sforza http://www.albideuter.de/html/visconti-sforza.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Visconti http://www.albideuter.de/html/visconti.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sola-Busca http://www.albideuter.de/html/sola-busca.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cary-Yale Visconti http://www.albideuter.de/html/cary_yale.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All of these were made in the 15th century. I think the Cary-Yale Visconti Is like the Neanderthal of the Tarot. It's fun to look at but not a direct descendant of the Tarot. It may be the first attempt to get rid of "The Popess" card. Which a very controversial card. It's interesting to note the Cary-Yale had 6 court cards. The King, Queen, Male Knight, Female Knight, Male Page, Female Page. Again, It's like finding the Batmobile 500 years from now. Sure it's a car but not everyone drove it.

There is a theory that the Tarot started out as a 5 x 14 structure. There is a furious debate going on in http://forum.tarothistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Dont bother reading all of it. These guys are hard core and go off in different directions. To me, it sorta makes sense. If I want to up the vender down the street, I'll put more trumps in my Tarot card deck. History tells up this is true. There is a Tarot card deck with 40 trumps called the Minchiate deck http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minchiate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It basically added the elements and the constellations and it was the second attempt to get rid of "The Popess" card. It was very popular up until the 19th century.

The modern Tarot which is the Rider-Waite his genius was to take the old Major arcana of the Visconi and the Minor Arcana of the Sola-Busca and put them together. See the 3 of Swords in the Sola-Busca to see what I mean. He made some other changes from the Marseille pattern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarot_of_Marseilles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in this recent article http://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/rider-waite/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Most note-able in switching justice and Strength. I do have to tell you this in all my hours of research the best thing I've found is the original list of the Tarot cards by a Monk. http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sermones ... _Cum_Aliis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It is so neat to read the honest opinions of a person so long ago. If you notice the "The Death" card has never changed. They that's why 13 is the unlucky number. We are so superstitious we don't have a 13th floor in buildings. It also just goes to show how warped things get over time. Just look at the Jacks we have today. Back then they had weapons we can recognize. Now we have distorted clubs.
RussellSprouts
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Nice info, sprouts. Interesting stuff ;)

S
No matter where you go... there you are :|
badpete69
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Shane posted new add-ons for this project

And of course all those items are free for the Chosen one pledge and any new add-ons produced until the end of this project will be included in the Chosen pledge. Now a raven just landed on my office window sill and told me that a new Chosen might well be picked tonight at midnight MWUhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Be there to join the council...
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

blahblahChosenOneblahblahblah. :|
What about the ALL THE THINGS level? I'm guessing not. :roll:

S
billysac

Unread post by billysac »

Shit somebody is fast, I was refreshin wide open and never even saw the chosen slot open.
It was simply gone as soon as 3 were available.
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

billysac wrote:Shit somebody is fast, I was refreshin wide open and never even saw the chosen slot open.
It was simply gone as soon as 3 were available.
I was refreshing, too. I saw it open and clicked on it, but when I clicked the "next" button to confirm my request, it said it was already filled. T_T
badpete69
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by badpete69 »

Yeah some kind of Bot snatched the reward and then 5 minutes later that account was deleted so it reopened and was snatch again very fast
billysac

Unread post by billysac »

badpete69 wrote:Yeah some kind of Bot snatched the reward and then 5 minutes later that account was deleted so it reopened and was snatch again very fast
If another raven visits you with similar tidings, do give us a heads up ;)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

badpete69 wrote:Yeah some kind of Bot snatched the reward and then 5 minutes later that account was deleted so it reopened and was snatch again very fast
Freakin' cheaters... "Don't it figure" that some @hole would write a routine to swoop it?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Aussie888

Unread post by Aussie888 »

The 4th $13 pledge was opened and taken (I think in a different timezone to normal).
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aussie888 wrote:The 4th $13 pledge was opened and taken (I think in a different timezone to normal).
I've done enough looking around to know that the next two "midnights" will not be Eastern time. A little birdy told me. (shhh....) :!:
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

ratledge wrote:
Aussie888 wrote:The 4th $13 pledge was opened and taken (I think in a different timezone to normal).
I've done enough looking around to know that the next two "midnights" will not be Eastern time. A little birdy told me. (shhh....) :!:
Psst, any idea when that will be ? Psst, ill delete the posts :lol: :lol:
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's releasing an interesting deck as an add-on at midnight: "Orient Express" will be the anti-thesis of his usual style, being a "throw back" design based on an old bridge deck from what looks to be the 50's with all custom courts, lots of color and WagonLits backs, or based on their logo, anyway. The artwork will be in released at midnight, and in a previous update he has pegged the price at $10/deck.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

This really puts me off. I'm glad he's putting out another deck, kudos to him, but for Christ sake why make it an add-on to a project that is completely different? Seriously, what do Call of Cthulu playing cards, a seperate Cthulu Tarot deck and the Orient Express have in common other than this campaign? Make a separate campaign or use the time to build the fan base, setup a webstore and sell the decks outside of kickstarter.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

chach wrote:This really puts me off. I'm glad he's putting out another deck, kudos to him, but for Christ sake why make it an add-on to a project that is completely different? Seriously, what do Call of Cthulu playing cards, a seperate Cthulu Tarot deck and the Orient Express have in common other than this campaign? Make a separate campaign or use the time to build the fan base, setup a webstore and sell the decks outside of kickstarter.
I haven't been following comments or forums or whatever that investigation they're doing, so I dunno if this was planned a while ago. But this seems like it should be a separate project.

It even seems like that new deck is a different, unfamiliar territory for Shane. Comparing his past works, Writhing Dark with Orient Express...it almost feels like another artist asked Shane to piggyback that deck onto his project and even take the credit. Then again, I'm only familiar with his Albino Dragon and Writhing Dark art style ; the man could be more versatile with different art styles than he's lead on.

Crazy accusation, I know. But it just...feels weird.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

Eoghann wrote:
chach wrote:This really puts me off. I'm glad he's putting out another deck, kudos to him, but for Christ sake why make it an add-on to a project that is completely different? Seriously, what do Call of Cthulu playing cards, a seperate Cthulu Tarot deck and the Orient Express have in common other than this campaign? Make a separate campaign or use the time to build the fan base, setup a webstore and sell the decks outside of kickstarter.
I haven't been following comments or forums or whatever that investigation they're doing, so I dunno if this was planned a while ago. But this seems like it should be a separate project.

It even seems like that new deck is a different, unfamiliar territory for Shane. Comparing his past works, Writhing Dark with Orient Express...it almost feels like another artist asked Shane to piggyback that deck onto his project and even take the credit. Then again, I'm only familiar with his Albino Dragon and Writhing Dark art style ; the man could be more versatile with different art styles than he's lead on.

No. I totally get that. Something feels off. :roll:
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Shane_Tyree »

Eoghann wrote:

Hey dude,

I can let you sit in while I draw one?

The Horror on the Orient Express is an adventure in the Call of Cthulhu RPG set it the 1920's on the train of the same name. It starts in London, rolls through Europe and has it's climax in Istanbul (was Constantinople). It's a pretty famous adventure, really rare, and the people at Chaosium (who licensed me the Call of Cthulhu name) asked if I would be willing to do it. It seemed like a rip off to run it as it's own project, since if I lump it in with this one it'll be cheaper because of the volume. SO I did, and it is (cheaper anyway). As to the style, thanks! I take it as a compliment that you think I am that versatile, barring the offer to sit in and watch me... which loads of people have, I dunno what else to say about.

I can say that the design for the deck was inspired by the Art Deco movement of the period. I wanted it to seem like a colorized old black and white movie (which the tuck will continue) and the court cards to be reminiscent of period card designs. Here is the deck that actually formed my inspiration!

http://www.wopc.co.uk/assets/images/cou ... f/saks.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaves a lot to the imagination, the card back and other stuff. That said that deck really spoke to me, that I could create these ominous characters with this sort of lighter traditional card design.

Hope this helps clear stuff up! If you guys ever have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Shane
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Nah dude,

I don't need to sit in. I do appreciate the clarification though.

You'll have to excuse me, but the only deco I see is the font and corner embellishment. The cards that inspired it boast elegant, fluid lines with a focus in simplicity. The busiest areas being composed of geometric shapes and simple figures and curves. The coloring gives it an almost stained glass appearance. Baba Yaga with her rough features is wearing a very busy pattern and stands in front a jagged purple background. It doesn't seem "of the period" or even reminiscent of the artistic movement.

Again, I apologize if my comments make me out to look like an ass, but my intention is always to provide constructive feedback in the most direct way possible even if it comes out blunt.
Shane_Tyree
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Shane_Tyree »

Eoghann wrote:Nah dude,

You'll have to excuse me, but the only deco I see is the font and corner embellishment. The cards that inspired it boast elegant, fluid lines with a focus in simplicity. The busiest areas being composed of geometric shapes and simple figures and curves. The coloring gives it an almost stained glass appearance. Baba Yaga with her rough features is wearing a very busy pattern and stands in front a jagged purple background. It doesn't seem "of the period" or even reminiscent of the artistic movement.

Again, I apologize if my comments make me out to look like an ass, but my intention is always to provide constructive feedback in the most direct way possible even if it comes out blunt.
You would be correct. The paisley pattern is a direct nod to what she is wearing in the reveal in the fiction and is not noveau or decois. However if you don't see the shapes in the my positioning I must have really missed the mark, alot of the forms I chose to emulate came from Lalique. In fact the next card I am working on has it's forms lifted from one of his cooler glasses.

http://www.thecultureconcept.com/circle ... Brooch.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As the the back design the fish scale pattern is pretty indicative of the period, the seal however is from the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits, the company that operated the train.

The pip design is also a nod to the jaks deck I posted, and will feature additional elements to marry the theme.

Thanks man, nah you don't come off like an asshole either.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shane_Tyree wrote:
Eoghann wrote:Nah dude,

You would be correct. The paisley pattern is a direct nod to what she is wearing in the reveal in the fiction and is not noveau or decois. However if you don't see the shapes in the my positioning I must have really missed the mark, alot of the forms I chose to emulate came from Lalique. In fact the next card I am working on has it's forms lifted from one of his cooler glasses.

http://www.thecultureconcept.com/circle ... Brooch.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;..

As the the back design the fish scale pattern is pretty indicative of the period, the seal however is from the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits, the company that operated the train.

The pip design is also a nod to the jaks deck I posted, and will feature additional elements to marry the theme.

Thanks man, nah you don't come off like an asshole either.
Mikey likey "Horror on the Orient Express"! More, please? :lol:
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Aussie888

Unread post by Aussie888 »

And the project deadline has arrived. Some lucky person (not me) got the 5th $13 pledge.
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

From SHane Tyree

"Hey gang!

We got final approval from Chaosium so we're moving forward with Horror on the Orient Express. Here's an image of the tuck box!"

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/113/9/7/horror_on_the_orient_express_by_shanetyreeart-d7fpp6r.jpg

Click for larger view

CBJ
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

Just decided to reandomly check on overdue projects. According to comments on the KS, we'll be lucky to get these before Christmas. Very disappointing how long this is taking.

It's actually not all that clear and he's been pretty bad about updates so who knows but it's definitely taking much longer than expected.
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Strag wrote:Just decided to reandomly check on overdue projects. According to comments on the KS, we'll be lucky to get these before Christmas. Very disappointing how long this is taking.

It's actually not all that clear and he's been pretty bad about updates so who knows but it's definitely taking much longer than expected.
Indeed its very late and we don´t get much updates on this one. I pledged for the black friday tier level....well soon its the next black friday.
I have not problems with projects beeing late, that can happen and will happen BUT keeping us supporters in the dark....thats what makes me mad.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

RussellSprouts
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

You can always go straight through amazon yah know. :)

That's how I cancelled my pledge for the type deck. Same "I can't send it to print until it's super, duper, mega refined. Because I want the best for my backers! You guys deserve it!" That deck is well over a year overdue and the guy is still working on the "anchor points" or whatever.

Instead of making a fuss on his profile which most likely he would've ignored. Amazon gave me a refund no problem.
wahl0108
Decks Owned: 121

Unread post by wahl0108 »

Eoghann, how did you go about filing the claim? I need to do one for Meridian but can't figure it out.
Romans VIII.XXXVII-XXXIX

ISO:
Boss Deck
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

wahl0108 wrote:Eoghann, how did you go about filing the claim? I need to do one for Meridian but can't figure it out.
It was through amazon payments. https://payments.amazon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I logged in with my amazon account and looked for the transaction and filed a claim (the "problems with this transaction?" button. It was so long ago, but it think I waited like a week or two and then they refunded the money. It was a pretty simple and straightforward process.

So glad I did.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Eoghann wrote:
wahl0108 wrote:Eoghann, how did you go about filing the claim? I need to do one for Meridian but can't figure it out.
It was through amazon payments. https://payments.amazon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I logged in with my amazon account and looked for the transaction and filed a claim (the "problems with this transaction?" button. It was so long ago, but it think I waited like a week or two and then they refunded the money. It was a pretty simple and straightforward process.

So glad I did.
You think i can still do that for founders/quicksilver? :evil: :evil:
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

:lol: worth a shot I guess? Haha