Deckstarter.com

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
Firthetic
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Deckstarter.com

Unread post by Firthetic »

From Art Of Play's Facebook page:

"Tonight, after nearly two years in development, we are excited to announce an amazing new project produced in collaboration with Dan and Dave and Alejandro Portela.

Built for designers, Deckstarter is the easiest way to get your own deck from the first paper sketches to the hands of thousands of playing card aficionados.

Be among the first 500 subscribers and receive early access to obtain a special limited edition deck of playing cards."

http://deckstarter.com/
Ben Taylor

Re: Deckstarter.com

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

Art of Play is Dan $ Dave, so collaborating with themselves? Are they trying to be Kickstarter middlemen? Or replace Kickstarter?
Verloren

Unread post by Verloren »

Ben Taylor wrote:Art of Play is Dan $ Dave, so collaborating with themselves? Are they trying to be Kickstarter middlemen? Or replace Kickstarter?
Basically a KS that is exclusive to playing cards.
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by Paul Middleton »

Im surprised it took this long and I actually thought that HOPC would changed their business model to something like this when they embraced Kickstarter for the Imperial deck. I'm not sure if a site like this can really work - going up against Kickstarter now is like a new search engine starting against Google.

Apparently Art Of Play is owned by D&D but is run but a small group of 'card enthusiasts' so i'm going to guess at Fulton, maybe Fontaine judging by the early photos from that vending machine promo.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
----------------------------------------------
EXCLUSIVE OFFERS FOR UC MEMBERS
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

If I was a deck designer, I would much rather give percentages to kickstarter than to D$D :roll:

But I guess it's a bit early for judgement, hopefully they'll have none of kickstarter's weaknesses and most of its strengths. If this turns out to be a superior place for new deck projects (with fraud protection, low percentages taken and maybe even something that makes shipping large volumes easier for newbies), then I will give them all the kudos they deserve.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

MagikFingerz wrote: (with fraud protection, low percentages taken and maybe even something that makes shipping large volumes easier for newbies), then I will give them all the kudos they deserve.
And i'm 100% with you there, if they sort those issues out - they're on to something.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

But they will no doubt have a much smaller reach than kickstarter, which is an important factor for creators. Kickstarter regular base goes well beyond card collectors, and im sure a significant portion of backers are not card collectors like us. But it would be very much appreciated for the aboved mentioned changes, although how implementable it is, we will have to wait and see.
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

volantangel wrote:But they will no doubt have a much smaller reach than kickstarter, which is an important factor for creators. Kickstarter regular base goes well beyond card collectors, and im sure a significant portion of backers are not card collectors like us.
Yup, agree. That was my point with the Google comparison.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

I signed up. :) Doubt I'll make use of their services, whatever they might be, but it's interesting to see what their approach will be.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Encarded »

volantangel wrote:Kickstarter regular base goes well beyond card collectors, and im sure a significant portion of backers are not card collectors like us.
This is exceedingly true, and very large amounts of money come from people that probably never bought a deck of cards in their entire life. Focusing strictly on "card folk" may not drive quite as much traffic to projects as you'd think.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

It's Interesting. Every new beginning compared to an already settled big company seems born to die, but it's the only way to make new things. If they're open to creators from all over the world, even better. ;)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Paul Middleton
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Lotrek wrote:Every new beginning compared to an already settled big company seems born to die, but it's the only way to make new things.
I take your point, but in relating to Kickstarter, I would say that when they started they had no one in that field or industry to measure themselves against or to compete with, so by the time competitors do come around they've evolved to such an extent that they're pretty far ahead of the rest.
www.JPGAMESltd.co.uk
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

JPMiddleton wrote:
Lotrek wrote:Every new beginning compared to an already settled big company seems born to die, but it's the only way to make new things.
I take your point, but in relating to Kickstarter, I would say that when they started they had no one in that field or industry to measure themselves against or to compete with, so by the time competitors do come around they've evolved to such an extent that they're pretty far ahead of the rest.
Yeah, maybe not "born to die", but definitely "highly unlikely to overcome the big company". If every new thing was born to die, we'd have 1 brand of everything. Though the big ones will remain the biggest, it is possible to thrive alongside them. There are other large search engines than Google, other MMOs than WoW, other operating systems than Windows etc etc.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

In generally I like the idea. It may take sometime to grow but I think it has potential.

th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

Can it be any worse than JSC? :roll:
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

th4mo wrote:Can it be any worse than JSC? :roll:
Hahahah! No way! They'll have to try REEEALLY hard for that! Unless they adopt the genius "elevator pitch system" :lol:

4pmdesigner
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by 4pmdesigner »

Lotrek wrote:
Hahahah! No way! They'll have to try REEEALLY hard for that! Unless they adopt the genius "elevator pitch system" :lol:
What a failure that was. One of those ideas that are just good in theory, not execution.
Creator of The Grid, Grid 2.0 & Mythos: Necronomicon Bicycle® Playing Cards
Brillig

Unread post by Brillig »

4pmdesigner wrote:
Lotrek wrote:
What a failure that was. One of those ideas that are just good in theory, not execution.
I thought their idea of having a pitch progress through stages was good, but then they piled on all sorts of unnecessary crap on top of it and the whole structure fell down.
sinjin7
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by sinjin7 »

JPMiddleton wrote:Apparently Art Of Play is owned by D&D but is run but a small group of 'card enthusiasts' so i'm going to guess at Fulton, maybe Fontaine judging by the early photos from that vending machine promo.
I consider anything associated with D$D, their boytoy Fulton, and the T11 muppet (aka Fontaine) as radioactive and I don't want anything to do with them.

Doesn't anyone else think its a conflict of interest for the Buck twin$ to run a site that sells playing cards, especially "rare" decks? What is to keep them from producing an "ultra rare, limited" deck on their D$D site and lie about the rareness of the deck and only sell a couple hundred at $6-$10 to further the perpetrate fiction of the artificial "rareness" of this deck, then wait for these decks to show up on eBay selling at $75+, and then sell the rest of their unreleased stock on Art of Play at jacked up prices? I wouldn't put it past these guys from manipulating the market in this way.
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

sinjin7 wrote:
JPMiddleton wrote:Apparently Art Of Play is owned by D&D but is run but a small group of 'card enthusiasts' so i'm going to guess at Fulton, maybe Fontaine judging by the early photos from that vending machine promo.
I consider anything associated with D$D, their boytoy Fulton, and the T11 muppet (aka Fontaine) as radioactive and I don't want anything to do with them.

Doesn't anyone else think its a conflict of interest for the Buck twin$ to run a site that sells playing cards, especially "rare" decks? What is to keep them from producing an "ultra rare, limited" deck on their D$D site and lie about the rareness of the deck and only sell a couple hundred at $6-$10 to further the perpetrate fiction of the artificial "rareness" of this deck, then wait for these decks to show up on eBay selling at $75+, and then sell the rest of their unreleased stock on Art of Play at jacked up prices? I wouldn't put it past these guys from manipulating the market in this way.

I 100% agree with you and it seems they have already done that with some of their decks that were supposedly out of stock. Unfortunately your complaint will probably fall on deaf ears as most people don't care about the past as long as they get the next "rare" deck. They are just so afraid of missing something, god forbid. There are still people who are asking Alex to produce his Harlequin deck even after he ripped off a ton of people.

Thanks!
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Feb 22 2012

Alex - "So if you all haven't already seen the news on Facebook, I'm printing 2,500 standard Harlequins and 500 special, limited edition Harlequins with an Experimental Finish.

What the actual finish for the Ex. decks is I can't disclose yet - but I'm getting samples in a few days and I'll let you guys know if it's every bit as awesome as I think it will be.

Aside from the bundles that include them, you will get one FREE Ex. Harlequin added to your order for every $100 you pledge."

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playin ... eries/160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's funny people on his Kickstarter are still asking for their cards in Oct 2013. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aet ... d/comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you read the whole thread, he mentions if he had to do all over he would have gotten a fulfillment center. Some people did get their cards, but many did not. Seems to me he didn't have the tenacity to sit down and ship all the cards. He was lazy and the money ran out. Wonder if had has a bunch of Vortex decks in his closet gathering dust or did he off load a bunch in grosses.
RussellSprouts
BMPokerworld

Unread post by BMPokerworld »

sprouts1115 wrote:Feb 22 2012

Alex - "So if you all haven't already seen the news on Facebook, I'm printing 2,500 standard Harlequins and 500 special, limited edition Harlequins with an Experimental Finish.

What the actual finish for the Ex. decks is I can't disclose yet - but I'm getting samples in a few days and I'll let you guys know if it's every bit as awesome as I think it will be.

Aside from the bundles that include them, you will get one FREE Ex. Harlequin added to your order for every $100 you pledge."

http://aethercards.com/discourse/playin ... eries/160/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's funny people on his Kickstarter are still asking for their cards in Oct 2013. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aet ... d/comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you read the whole thread, he mentions if he had to do all over he would have gotten a fulfillment center. Some people did get their cards, but many did not. Seems to me he didn't have the tenacity to sit down and ship all the cards. He was lazy and the money ran out. Wonder if had has a bunch of Vortex decks in his closet gathering dust or did he off load a bunch in grosses.
For once I 100% agree with everything you just said(Now that is a miracle). The funny thing is, people still want to post on Aether despite the fact the owner(Alex), flat out stole from lots of people thousands of dollar and lied about it. But they get pissed off when I tell the truth about what is going on in the hobby. Go figure.

Thanks!
PlayingCardz
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by PlayingCardz »

BMPokerworld wrote:
sinjin7 wrote:

I 100% agree with you and it seems they have already done that with some of their decks that were supposedly out of stock. Unfortunately your complaint will probably fall on deaf ears as most people don't care about the past as long as they get the next "rare" deck. They are just so afraid of missing something, god forbid. There are still people who are asking Alex to produce his Harlequin deck even after he ripped off a ton of people.

Thanks!
Yeah I remember them selling MagicCon V1 decks under the "Dolphindart" eBay username, so funny :)
Online magic playing cards shop : http://www.playingcardz.net 5% off your entire order using the coupon code UNITED
Shipping worldwide, Free to the european union and Switzerland if your order is > $200
And to the rest of the world if your order is > ~$400!!!